Amazon Buys Whole Foods

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
heartwood

Amazon Buys Whole Foods

Post by heartwood » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:35 am

Just in and Costco Walmart and others dropping big time on Fri AM.

Will WH remain teh store it is?

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-b ... are-2017-6
Last edited by heartwood on Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

jebmke

Re: Amazon Buys Whole Foods

Post by jebmke » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:35 am

Prime rib
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:39 am

If I can get whole foods delivered to my location same day via Amazon I'll be thrilled. Whole foods is like 45 minutes away from me right now. My local grocery stores just aren't as good.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:48 am

heartwood wrote:Will WH remain teh store it is?

Change isn't always a bad thing. Whole Foods today isn't the store it was when it started out. It's not even the same as it was when I first started shopping there.

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:09 am

Gadget wrote:If I can get whole foods delivered to my location same day via Amazon I'll be thrilled. Whole foods is like 45 minutes away from me right now. My local grocery stores just aren't as good.

WF and Costco delivery would save me 4 hrs a week.

I actually think Costco produce is setup for delivery better - more uniformity in their produce section vs WF you have to trust the picker.

That said WF checkout is the bottleneck - looking forward to Amazon solving that!

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:11 am

Our WF closed its doors here in Prescott AZ. I'm not sure how this is good.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:57 am

My Whole Foods is a 20-minute walk away. Amazon delivery is irrelevant in my case, but I would appreciate a wider variety of organic produce.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:07 am

Maybe I will shop there again.

A friend of mine was barred from WF for absentmindedly eating a few grapes while waiting to check out. I stopped shopping there in solidarity.

LFKB

Post by LFKB » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:10 am

Mentioned it in my Google thread but Whole Foods is one of my five individual stocks I own (as is Amazon). I bought back in January. Looks like I'm going from 5 individual stocks to 4.

marti038

Post by marti038 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:17 am

We have one just a few miles away. If they can duplicate the online order/curbside pickup that Wal-Mart is experimenting with now, then we'll probably use them.

It will be interesting to see what Amazon does with this acquisition.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:20 am

Still don't see how Amazon can overcome shipping costs on low-margin goods. Perhaps they're losing money now, but will jack prices when they increase their monopoly and drive all brick/mortar's out of business.

tedgeorge

Post by tedgeorge » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:24 am

I'm under the impression Whole Foods is declining anyways with the growth of organic food choices everywhere else at lower prices. Seems to me Amazon just purchased a fully developed food supply chain. I wouldn't be surprised to see them use these more as local distribution centers rather than full on grocery stores.

RoadHouseFan

Post by RoadHouseFan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:43 am

This is great news!

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:01 am

Amazon is on the low price/value end and WF is currently on the higher priced/premium end so this will be interesting.

They both provide excellent customer experiences though IMO and I enjoy shopping at both. The WF in Chicago and Charlotte are the nicest grocery stores I've ever been to.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:06 am

I find it interesting that people worship bezos/amazon...when in reality he's done more to kill brick and mortar stores than waltons/walmart did.

Double standard much?? Now amazon is buying grocery chains...they're been in the tv/movie business now for a couple years and are starting to create their own content. Wonder when people will start hating on bezos? Or is everyone going to keep loving him because its convenient?

Admiral

Post by Admiral » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:07 am

It will be interesting. I don't mind paying more for organic fruit/produce/meats, but what's annoying about WF is that they charge more for the exact same product at Trader Joes. It's just gouging plain and simple. Try pricing a 28 oz can of San Marzano whole tomatoes at both places. WF is like a dollar more. So annoying.

Bright side: beer delivery via drone! :beer

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:07 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:Maybe I will shop there again.

A friend of mine was barred from WF for absentmindedly eating a few grapes while waiting to check out. I stopped shopping there in solidarity.

I thought their policy was a sample of anything a customer wants to try? My kid wanted to test that policy with caviar.

Meg77

Post by Meg77 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:08 am

I'm a Whole Foods rewards member (it's been in beta testing in Dallas), and I got the following email from them this morning:

Dear Valued Shopper,

Today marks the beginning of an exciting new chapter in Whole Foods Market’s history with the announcement that we’ve entered into an agreement to merge with Amazon.

Amazon is an innovative company and we are excited about our partnership. We believe it presents an incredible opportunity to take Whole Foods Market’s mission and purpose to new levels and will create significant value for our stakeholders – including you, our most loyal customers.

We want to assure you that Amazon shares Whole Foods Market’s deep commitment to quality and customer service. We will continue to operate our stores and deliver the highest quality, delicious natural and organic products that you’ve come to love and trust from Whole Foods Market.

No artificial flavors, colors, preservatives, sweeteners or hydrogenated fats will ever be in any of the food we sell. Meat will still come from animals raised with no-added growth hormones, ever. And all eggs in our dairy cases will continue to come from cage-free hens that aren’t given antibiotics. Those standards are core to Whole Foods Market and we will remain committed to them.

Whether you’ve been a Whole Foodie for 30 days or 30 years, you have been an important part of making Whole Foods Market what it is today. We look forward to sharing the next chapter with you.

From,
Your Whole Foods Market Team

Whole Foods already delivers same day, at least in my market, so it's not like that is likely to be the only advancement. Amazon has been experimenting with lots of grocery store models over the last two years. They have a store for employees where there are no cashiers. You're charged as you put items into your basket. I think it tracks who you are through your phone or an app or something...anyway my point is I think they actually want to be in the grocery business because it's ripe for "disruption" as the techies like to say. It hasn't changed much in decades.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

Admiral

Post by Admiral » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:10 am

ponyboy wrote:I find it interesting that people worship bezos/amazon...when in reality he's done more to kill brick and mortar stores than waltons/walmart did.

Double standard much?? Now amazon is buying grocery chains...they're been in the tv/movie business now for a couple years and are starting to create their own content. Wonder when people will start hating on bezos? Or is everyone going to keep loving him because its convenient?

There are plenty of culprits here: Home Depot, Walmart, Cosco, and so on. They all have had a hand in destroying small businesses. When you have a consumerist society where all anyone cares about is price, those who have quantities of scale will win out except in very niche markets.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:12 am

Admiral wrote:
ponyboy wrote:I find it interesting that people worship bezos/amazon...when in reality he's done more to kill brick and mortar stores than waltons/walmart did.

There are plenty of culprits here: Home Depot, Walmart, Cosco, and so on. They all have had a hand in destroying small businesses. When you have a consumerist society where all anyone cares about is price, those who have quantities of scale will win out except in very niche markets.

Still doesnt explain why people love bezos yet hate the waltons...that was my question. Ive never received a real legit answer because there isnt a good reason for the love/vs other than convenience.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:15 am

This thread is now in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (news).

Please stay focused on the investing aspects. Comments related to the impacts on society, politics, economic policy, etc. are off-topic.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

chinto

Post by chinto » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:26 am

BW1985 wrote:Amazon is on the low price/value end and WF is currently on the higher priced/premium end so this will be interesting.

They both provide excellent customer experiences though IMO and I enjoy shopping at both. The WF in Chicago and Charlotte are the nicest grocery stores I've ever been to.

Where in Charlotte is this?

chinto

Post by chinto » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:29 am

Admiral wrote:It will be interesting. I don't mind paying more for organic fruit/produce/meats, but what's annoying about WF is that they charge more for the exact same product at Trader Joes. It's just gouging plain and simple. Try pricing a 28 oz can of San Marzano whole tomatoes at both places. WF is like a dollar more. So annoying.

Bright side: beer delivery via drone! :beer

ALDI, brother to Trader Joes, is moving upscale with new Super AlDI that carry a lot of organic and healthy options. ALDI is now GMO free for most products. Unfortunately they are increasing their prices dramatically (via smaller portions).

Theoretical

Post by Theoretical » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:36 am

Whole Foods produce is nothing to write home about, because they use regional centers to centralize and then send out. Walmart and the local Kroger or Tom Thumb (Safeway) routinely beat it.

Now Trader Joe's produce is in a whole other (bad) category. You get what you pay for on that one.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:12 pm

tedgeorge wrote:I'm under the impression Whole Foods is declining anyways with the growth of organic food choices everywhere else at lower prices. Seems to me Amazon just purchased a fully developed food supply chain. I wouldn't be surprised to see them use these more as local distribution centers rather than full on grocery stores.

I think you're dead on. Amazon just bought 431 (?) local distribution centers and a grocery supply chain. I expect they'll maintain the stores as well, but the value to Amazon will come from using the stores and supply chain to expand online ordering and grocery delivery. Amazon won't have to build out all of that capability themselves. (A lot of the WF stores will probably sprout Amazon pick-up kiosks as well.)

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:33 pm

There are rumors that my big local strip mall is expanding and that one of the anchor stores in the new area will be either a Trader Joes or a Whole Foods. I hear Clark Howard joke about Whole Foods should change their name to Whole Paycheck due to the prices they charge. I have also heard that due to WalMart, Kroger etc expanding their organic departments that WF prices have improved. I also sometimes see a picture of something ridiculous at WF, like a slice of fruit in a bottle of water for a ridiculous price. So if one of these comes to town, should I bother going in or will my boglehead explode when I get to the checkout counter?

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:56 pm

Maybe they will make Whole Foods a membership store thru their Prime membership? Kind of like Costco.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:01 pm

mhalley wrote:There are rumors that my big local strip mall is expanding and that one of the anchor stores in the new area will be either a Trader Joes or a Whole Foods. I hear Clark Howard joke about Whole Foods should change their name to Whole Paycheck due to the prices they charge. I have also heard that due to WalMart, Kroger etc expanding their organic departments that WF prices have improved. I also sometimes see a picture of something ridiculous at WF, like a slice of fruit in a bottle of water for a ridiculous price. So if one of these comes to town, should I bother going in or will my boglehead explode when I get to the checkout counter?

We shop at a couple of different grocery stores. For Organic foods - Whole Foods has better prices in our area than the other grocery stores (the other stores now do sell organics in addition to non-organics - but charge a lot more for organics). For non-organics the other store is better. So when comparing prices - you can't compare Apples to Oranges - nor can you compare Organic Apples to Non-Organic Apples - you have to compare Organic Apples to Organic Apples - in my area - Whole Foods wins on price in this case. (And if you aren't interested in Organics, grass-fed beef, etc. - you probably shouldn't be shopping at Whole Foods).
Last edited by DaftInvestor on Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:13 pm

I already go to Costco for many things, Kroger for a few things, Meijer for everything else and am able to buy almost everything organically. Add in some special things at Trader Joes from time to time....

Whole Foods has organic foods, but I can't figure for the life of me why I'd add another store to my rotation, especially with their reputation for inflated prices. Are margins much higher on organic food? Can they use those margins to pad shipping costs? If someone could deliver all of my groceries to me, I'm not sure what that'd be worth.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:24 pm

The reason Amazon gets less flak than Walmart is that they did not build giant eyesore box stores and their shopping experience is much more pleasant. This deal gives AMZN instant branding in the grocery business for people who would not trust an anonymous warehouse worker to pick their produce but does buy into the Whole Foods name.

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:36 pm

Keep this in mind....
From Amazon's core Leadership Principals
First and Foremost:

"Customer Obsession
Leaders start with the customer and work backwards. They work vigorously to earn and keep customer trust. Although leaders pay attention to competitors, they obsess over customers."

Whole Food Customers should be applauding the purchase by Amazon

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:37 pm

VictoriaF wrote:My Whole Foods is a 20-minute walk away. Amazon delivery is irrelevant in my case, but I would appreciate a wider variety of organic produce.

Victoria

What if Amazon Prime Members could pick up their Amazon packages at Whole Foods? Whole Foods tend to locate in higher end densely populated urban areas. The overlay between the average Whole Foods customer and Amazon Prime member is probably pretty high. They like Costco are directly targeting an affluent demographic.

Full Disclosure: Took a small position in Amazon within the past month. Why? I was bored so I picks a few companies I thought had long term potential. I really think there might be something to this new fangled Amazon company.
Run, You Clever Boy!

tedgeorge

Post by tedgeorge » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:11 pm

I'd say the other way. This purchase makes a lot of sense to bolster their Amazon Prime Now service. I'm pretty sure people only use that service for food and maybe toiletries so now they have that in a localized place that already has those items.

Think about this...you get a text saying "your package is on its way, would you like us to also bring you some milk?" Or...because Alexa is listening..."your package is on its way, how about a pizza for dinner since you didn't have anything to cook?"

And you won't care that milk/pizza cost a bit more because it's damn convenient and you probably wanted/needed it anyways!

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:49 pm

Meh...
...I might be just beginning | I might be near the end. Enya | | C'est la vie

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:22 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:What if Amazon Prime Members could pick up their Amazon packages at Whole Foods?

Amazon already has over 1,800 Amazon Locker locations. The ones on college campuses are staffed and accept returns, have terminals to place orders, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_3 ... 6442600011

It seems almost inevitable that Whole Foods locations will have some kind of pickup service.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:30 pm

chinto wrote:
BW1985 wrote:Amazon is on the low price/value end and WF is currently on the higher priced/premium end so this will be interesting.

Barclay Downs. On Fairview rd.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:34 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:My Whole Foods is a 20-minute walk away. Amazon delivery is irrelevant in my case, but I would appreciate a wider variety of organic produce.

Victoria

What if Amazon Prime Members could pick up their Amazon packages at Whole Foods? Whole Foods tend to locate in higher end densely populated urban areas. The overlay between the average Whole Foods customer and Amazon Prime member is probably pretty high. They like Costco are directly targeting an affluent demographic.

My Whole Foods is in high-density affluent-demographic area. It's too high-density and too affluent: even on weekdays, it takes time to find a parking space and later to get through a check out line. Thus, many people walk to Whole Foods, and when walking it's easier to carry a couple bags with groceries than a larger Amazon box. At least, that's my perspective. I am not an Amazon Prime member and I wait extra few days for the packages to be dropped by my door.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:36 pm

Pajamas wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote:What if Amazon Prime Members could pick up their Amazon packages at Whole Foods?

Amazon already has over 1,800 Amazon Locker locations. The ones on college campuses are staffed and accept returns, have terminals to place orders, etc.

It seems almost inevitable that Whole Foods locations will have some kind of pickup service.

I think the locations of the Whole Foods stores is a key in this deal. Some really great real estate.
Run, You Clever Boy!

saltycaper

Post by saltycaper » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:43 pm

Well it's not done yet. That's a lotta dough. Will someone else try to step in?
"I guess I should warn you, if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said." --Alan Greenspan

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:46 pm

Does this mean we will order groceries on line and they will show up at the door?

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:54 pm

GoldenFinch wrote:Does this mean we will order groceries on line and they will show up at the door?

That will be true for some, but I, for one, like to select my groceries. I choose the largest bunches of dandelion and dill, greenest of green apples, and cauliflower heads without blemishes. I note what is on sale, and revise my shopping list to get bargains. And it's a good place to meet people.

Victoria

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:19 pm

BW1985 wrote:
chinto wrote:

Barclay Downs. On Fairview rd.

I suggest a Bogleheads meetup :sharebeer

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:27 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
GoldenFinch wrote:Does this mean we will order groceries on line and they will show up at the door?

That will be true for some, but I, for one, like to select my groceries. I choose the largest bunches of dandelion and dill, greenest of green apples, and cauliflower heads without blemishes. I note what is on sale, and revise my shopping list to get bargains. And it's a good place to meet people.

Victoria

Me too. I can't imagine myself ever ordering groceries online. I do think people who who don't have the luxury of time might like it though. I can picture the milk and bread flying overhead in a little drone parachute. Or, alternatively, Uber drivers delivering the groceries, which is a very likely possibility.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:31 pm

GoldenFinch wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria

Me too. I can't imagine myself ever ordering groceries online. I do think people who who don't have the luxury of time might like it though. I can picture the milk and bread flying overhead in a little drone parachute. Or, alternatively, Uber drivers delivering the groceries, which is a very likely possibility.

Just have the employees deliver stuff on their way home. Although it's not entirely certain they will leave work now that they are Amazon employees.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:46 pm

Great podcast with the Whole Foods CEO - http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/nationa ... y-50156827

Seems like a solid guy who followed his passion. It's too bad he's upset with the sale, but I bet he'll do a spin off if he'

Toons wrote:Keep this in mind....
From Amazon's core Leadership Principals
First and Foremost:

"Customer Obsession
Leaders start with the customer and work backwards. They work vigorously to earn and keep customer trust. Although leaders pay attention to competitors, they obsess over customers."

Whole Food Customers should be applauding the purchase by Amazon

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm not a WF customer, but I don't think most customers are applauding when the CEO and founder of Whole Foods is not at all happy with the sale and the "greedy bastards" behind it. Whole Foods is a niche market where customers are willing to pay a premium for a premium product. Amazon will likely lower prices (= lower quality) to get it to the masses and maximize profit.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:53 pm

I agree. And actually.amazon does not make a great amount of profit.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:19 pm

Pajamas wrote:

In additions to the stores, Amazon is picking up a bunch of back end distributions centers. You can imagine all sorts of integration with amazon Fresh, Pantry,general amazon, and the like to let you buy anything and either pick it up at a store or have it delivered. It should also be noted that Amazon has been building their own delivery service for a couple years now. Upping the volume might allow them to drastically cut costs.

It might turn out that webvan was right on and just 20 years ahead of their time :happy Or this could be big distraction.

danaht

Post by danaht » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:08 pm

It will be nice to be able to use Amazon gift card (or Amazon gift card credit balance) to purchase things at Whole Foods. Also, being able to auto-checkout by phone will be a great option and major time saver for the consumer. The main problem with Whole Foods - is proximity. The closest Whole Foods by my house is 30 miles. But, I have Walmart, Target, Kroger, Aldi, Costco, Sam's Club, and even Sprouts that are all 1 to 3 miles from my house. I am not willing to drive 30 miles - that's just not convenient for me. In order for this to work for Amazon - they better plan to start growing those stores to more locations.

btenny

Post by btenny » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:12 pm

This will be very interesting. Whole Foods has started a development project in South Lake Tahoe for a new store. We already have four major grocery stores and two other smaller grocery stores for 30K people and some tourists. So we have lots of food stores. We were shocked when Whole Foods was announced as the developer for this new project. The plan is to tear down a old motel and build a new store and related stuff near the ski area. So the company seems committed. TBD how this merger will effect this development.

And in north Phoenix it will also be very interesting how it will work. The corner near me has a Whole Foods and two other giant grocery stores on opposing corners. And just a mile away from there are Walmart and Costco and Sprouts stores. And a little further away are two other big grocery stores. So there are eight grocery stores within 2 miles of my house. I do not see how all these places make money now. Oh and the Costco is part of mall with a big Sears store. So there are just tons of shopping choices. So adding Amazon to this mix will be very crazy.

NorCalDad

Post by NorCalDad » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:33 pm

Major grocery retailers saw their stocks fall today on the Amazon news. I've seen stories suggesting that even Bogleheads' beloved Costco is threatened by Amazon's purchase. Investors believe Amazon could disrupt the grocery marketplace the same way it has so many other industries. Whether Amazon can actually succeed where so many have failed remains to be seen.