Anyone else gotten totally bored with investing?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
TheTimeLord

Re: Anyone else gotten totally bored with investing?

Postby TheTimeLord » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:38 am

Extremely bored with investing at the moment. Basically feel like I am finishing up, just crossing my "T"s and dotting my "I"s. I am just about at the point where all I will be doing is plugging numbers into my spreadsheet and making the adjustments indicated by the calculations. It will be interesting to see if I try to make some change just to keep things interesting or if I will just continually decrease the amount of time I spend on investing.

Taxes, the final frontier.
Run, You Clever Boy!

lostdog

Postby lostdog » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:07 am

I am bored with it too. We just have a monthly automatic investment. I just have a very brief positive happy thought when the date of the transfer arrives. That is the only actionable thing. The next action is to add bonds in a few years.
"Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify." -Thoreau | https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/meditation-modern-life/201507/henry-david-thoreau-simplify-simplify

nedsaid

Postby nedsaid » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:17 am

Good investing is supposed to be boring. It should be like watching paint dry or tumbleweeds tumble.
A fool and his money are good for business.

Index Fan

Postby Index Fan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:32 am

nedsaid wrote:Good investing is supposed to be boring. It should be like watching paint dry or tumbleweeds tumble.

+100

And yes, I'm bored :)
"Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis." | -Seneca

GoldenFinch

Postby GoldenFinch » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:27 am

You've graduated from bored to completely disinterested when you quit checking in on Bogleheads.

(No one reading this has done that yet by the way. LOL!)

PassiveInvestor753

Postby PassiveInvestor753 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:49 am

Investing? Boring? Well, maybe with traditional funds. And real estate/flipping houses can be a little time consuming. However, investing can still offer surprises. Hear about the high school drop-out who invested in bitcoin at $12 and is now a millionaire? It might be a little late to get into that now, but then again, maybe not. You just have to look for those opportunities and judge how much risk you're willing to take. Beyond that, investing in other areas like peer-to-peer lending or start-ups could become a decent alternative.

TheTimeLord

Postby TheTimeLord » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:56 am

PassiveInvestor753 wrote:Investing? Boring? Well, maybe with traditional funds. And real estate/flipping houses can be a little time consuming. However, investing can still offer surprises. Hear about the high school drop-out who invested in bitcoin at $12 and is now a millionaire? It might be a little late to get into that now, but then again, maybe not. You just have to look for those opportunities and judge how much risk you're willing to take. Beyond that, investing in other areas like peer-to-peer lending or start-ups could become a decent alternative.

Seriously, you need a new screen name.
Run, You Clever Boy!

train12

Postby train12 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:04 pm

PassiveInvestor753 wrote:Investing? Boring? Well, maybe with traditional funds. And real estate/flipping houses can be a little time consuming. However, investing can still offer surprises. Hear about the high school drop-out who invested in bitcoin at $12 and is now a millionaire? It might be a little late to get into that now, but then again, maybe not. You just have to look for those opportunities and judge how much risk you're willing to take. Beyond that, investing in other areas like peer-to-peer lending or start-ups could become a decent alternative.

The article was different from your summary. His parents have PhDs from Columbia, and he moved to Silicon Valley to be an entrepreneur when he was 15. He sold his company that matched high school students with homework advice via his video chat app for 300 bitcoins (back when 1 BTC=$200) rather than $100,000, opting for the lower amount.

Of the other 103 bitcoins he owns, 83 bitcoins he may have purchased when bitcoin was at $12 using a $1000 gift from his grandmother, but that component is only worth $225,000 (1 BTC=$2700) at the time the article was written.

peterinjapan

Postby peterinjapan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:07 pm

Not bored at all. It's fun, like a chess game that pays you if you win.

PassiveInvestor753

Postby PassiveInvestor753 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:42 am

The article was different from your summary.

I didn't "summarize" anything. I only gave the title. Plus, that extensive backstory wasn't necessary for my original point: That yeah, investing in the traditional sense can get boring, but there are other ways to invest that can be intriguing.

spammagnet

Postby spammagnet » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:37 pm

Having adopted a three-fund portfolio, I made the moves necessary to get there while also optimizing aggregate ER across multiple accounts. With payroll deductions being invested to match the allocation, and with rebalancing using bands, there's little else to do.

At this point, I'm considering taking up credit churning as a hobby.

afan

Postby afan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:42 pm

Although there is nothing to do with investing once you have set up your 3-fund portfolio, there are lots of other financial decisions.
Mortgage optimization
Many different kinds of insurance
long term care planning
estate planning
Asset protection

For many of these the optimal strategy changes with interest rates, updated estimates of your longevity and health, changes in tax laws and other events. So there is plenty to keep up with.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama

jebmke

Postby jebmke » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:12 pm

GoldenFinch wrote:You've graduated from bored to completely disinterested when you quit checking in on Bogleheads.

Maybe .. but there are probably more posts on books, movies, cars and sandwiches than there are on investing. Part VI of the book thread is approaching 2,500 posts.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

arsenalfan

Postby arsenalfan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:13 pm

I have 1% in play money for >1yr investments (in top tax bracket = short term cap gains would kill me). Aftertax account with 100 free trades per month - use about 3 per year.

It makes me realize I am terrible at investing - my track record hasn't beat SP500. Also it's not that fun.

1. $2000 in Whole Foods: Amazon purchase increased WFM by 28% - which brought me to even on my initial investment.
2. $2000 in Volkswagen after Dieselgate: it's done ok, not great.
3. Ethereum: Impulsively bought $2000 from Coinbase. Super annoyed at all the privacy requirements. Held for one day and sold because was leery. Takes 1 week for transactions to process, lost $150 in transaction fees to Coinbase. Consider it a $150 lesson learned about hopping on the latest and greatest trend. Thinking about doing NVIDIA or AMD for GPUs...but meh, will this hip trend continue >1 year?
4. AAPL: Took over 250 shares bought by my broker through the 1990s with plans to liquidate it. Saw how difficult it was to time an exit - sold some at $135, rest at $100 during past dip. Now at $140s...
Last edited by arsenalfan on Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

randomizer

Postby randomizer » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:23 pm

I am very bored.

Really looking forward to retiring, but nothing I can do about it on the investment side. It is like watching paint dry. Even if the market tanks or surges, there is rarely anything to do. Rarely even rebalancing or tax loss harvesting. I just follow my IPS and wait wait wait. Really only needs a few minutes of work per year.

BuyAndHoldOn

Postby BuyAndHoldOn » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:04 pm

I am interested in financial markets (etc.) so I continue to find investing fascinating.

But I invest boglehead style.

GoldenFinch

Postby GoldenFinch » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:34 pm

jebmke wrote:
GoldenFinch wrote:You've graduated from bored to completely disinterested when you quit checking in on Bogleheads.

Maybe .. but there are probably more posts on books, movies, cars and sandwiches than there are on investing. Part VI of the book thread is approaching 2,500 posts.

Very true.

(Can't say enough about some very good threads about oatmeal and great advice about buying a dishwasher.) :D

spammagnet

Postby spammagnet » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:17 pm

randomizer wrote:Really looking forward to retiring, but nothing I can do about it on the investment side.

That's me, being a couple of years out. Can't do much more now than to earn and save. I don't hate my job, so it's not excruciating.

avenger

Postby avenger » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:42 am

Also bored.

Completely debt free (paid off $660k in 6 years), 3 fund portfolio on autopilot with no major financial changes on the horizon. Just going to let the boredom ride.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [3 fund portfolio: VTI, VXUS, SV fund (yield 3.01%)]

SRenaeP

Postby SRenaeP » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:47 pm

I've gotten bored with my investing as well. So I went out and bought a rental property! I'm definitely not bored anymore but only time will tell if it's a good investment. Ha. :P

I think the boredom was a combination of always needing some type of 'project' to occupy my time and the fact that counting down to semi-retirement is like watching grass grow.

-Steph

linenfort

Postby linenfort » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:56 pm

I'm still reading this forum, so I guess I'm still interested.
Cryptocurrencies are like religions. You're probably better off just inventing your own.

telemark

Postby telemark » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:43 pm

Someone or other described war as long periods of boredom punctuated by brief moments of terror. Perhaps the same applies to investing?

roymeo

Postby roymeo » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:12 pm

telemark wrote:Someone or other described war as long periods of boredom punctuated by brief moments of terror. Perhaps the same applies to investing?

Except you have to reconcile this with "“the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent."
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo

inbox788

Postby inbox788 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:41 pm

BuyAndHoldOn wrote:I am interested in financial markets (etc.) so I continue to find investing fascinating.

But I invest boglehead style.

I've settled on a similar course. My investments are mostly in low cost index funds, but it's sure fun watching high flyers like Amazon, Facebook, Netflix and Tesla defy gravity. But also the forgotten and maybe soon to be forgotten like Kosmo, WebVan, TKWY, Blue Apron (APRN), and Snap.

pascalwager

Postby pascalwager » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:00 am

Not bored with investing. Bored with betting. BH is the wild west of betting. Everything is actually about beating the market or avoiding market risk or feeling that a portfolio is right/wrong. Even the four fund portfolio is modified to attempt to dictate returns and risk rather than setting it at market proportions and taking whatever the market offers.

Vanguard doesn't even offer a world market fund (bonds and stocks). Maybe because no one would invest in it. They would rather make bets.

GoldenFinch

Postby GoldenFinch » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:29 am

pascalwager wrote:Not bored with investing. Bored with betting. BH is the wild west of betting. Everything is actually about beating the market or avoiding market risk or feeling that a portfolio is right/wrong. Even the four fund portfolio is modified to attempt to dictate returns and risk rather than setting it at market proportions and taking whatever the market offers.

Vanguard doesn't even offer a world market fund (bonds and stocks). Maybe because no one would invest in it. They would rather make bets.

Interesting perspective. I understand what you are saying here, but I don't know how you get around it even with a market weight total world stock and bond fund. Even then one would be betting that the world fund is the "right way" to invest. I suppose human nature gets in the way as soon as we have a dollar and have to decide what to do with it.

pascalwager

Postby pascalwager » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:05 am

GoldenFinch wrote:
pascalwager wrote:Not bored with investing. Bored with betting. BH is the wild west of betting. Everything is actually about beating the market or avoiding market risk or feeling that a portfolio is right/wrong. Even the four fund portfolio is modified to attempt to dictate returns and risk rather than setting it at market proportions and taking whatever the market offers.

Interesting perspective. I understand what you are saying here, but I don't know how you get around it even with a market weight total world stock and bond fund. Even then one would be betting that the world fund is the "right way" to invest. I suppose human nature gets in the way as soon as we have a dollar and have to decide what to do with it.

The market portfolio is considered the super-efficient portfolio of classical economics, probably the default risky investment for retirees/near-retirees–combined with a riskless portfolio (TIPS, pension, SS, annuities, etc.).

Younger investors might increase the stock/bond ratio, and older investors might decrease it. The tax situation could also modify the risky portfolio. This would be investing and not betting.

Kennyt7

Postby Kennyt7 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:54 pm

Index investing is boring but COMPOUNDED PROFITS ARE NOT
My thanks to malkiel and bogle for pointing me in the right direction

Suggest all here take a look at WHITE COAT INVESTOR SITE-great piece on learning about mutual funds for the novice

Return to “Investing - Theory, News & General”