Tell me a stock you like better than Google/Alphabet Right Now and Why

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
jbranx

Re: Tell me a stock you like better than Google/Alphabet Right Now and Why

Post by jbranx »

I'm like some of the other posters: It's hard for me to understand what Google's enduring competitive advantage is. And the EU is starting to get tough on them regulation wise. Just saw a reference to a new book out by an ad exec. titled something like "the end of advertising." In his last edition (1972) of the "Intelligent Investor," Graham compared two stocks, one great growth story, McGraw-Hill, had purchased S&P and some other hot businesses just a few years previous and McGraw-Edison, an old out of favor industrial company. The latter McGraw was the better stock through the 1970's if my memory is right.

Last month I made my first ever visit to an Apple store with my wife to choose her a new Mac. Could not believe all the crowd on a weekday; returned on a Saturday to pick up the computer, and the place was mobbed with both older and younger customers very actively engaged with the Apple "geniuses."
I now know what Buffet meant about his visit to an Apple store with his grandchildren and his subsequent buy. Current issue of Business Week has a good interview with Tim Cook btw on the potential of augmented reality.

I only have two individual stock holdings of any consequence: UPS and Berkshire Hathaway. UPS we bought when it was still private and my wife's employer and it got an awesome gain when it went public and is a major beneficiary of e-commerce and globalization. BRKA purchased in '92 when it got close to book value. GOOG I own in VTI and will benefit if it goes up; won't suffer much if it turns out it's just another Cisco or Apple in near bankruptcy before Jobs came back.

I've been around the markets long enough to learn--many times at my expense--that the collective intelligence of the market is smarter than me. Was tempted, however, to take a stab at Kroger last week when it went down 19% on a guidance reduction. It went down an additional double digit the next day when Bezos bought Whole Foods. The stock market is a very very efficient adaptive system. I like to own all of it and not just pieces.

'
ValueInvestor99

Re: Tell me a stock you like better than Google/Alphabet Right Now and Why

Post by ValueInvestor99 »

I bought MRAM in March for $8.50 and sold in June for $22.
It has some good technology, but is a little risky now.
Because it is a small new company it's not in any ETF.