"Find out if your fund is declaring a quarterly dividend in June."

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
gkaplan

"Find out if your fund is declaring a quarterly dividend in June."

Post by gkaplan » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:15 am

The table below lists Vanguard mutual funds and exchange-traded funds (ETFs) that will distribute quarterly income dividends in June 2017.

Each fund's per-share dividend rate is posted on the vanguard.com distributions page on the fund's declaration date. Once the distribution amount is posted, you can log on to your account and view dividends for funds you own. The record date, payable date, reinvestment date, and other fund dividend information is also available. . . .

Find out if your fund is declaring a quarterly dividend in June.
Gordon

nedsaid

Re: "Find out if your fund is declaring a quarterly dividend in June."

Post by nedsaid » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:44 am

This is helpful. Hopefully we won't see the threads asking why the Net Asset Value of certain funds and ETFs suddenly dropped. It seems most of my ETFs have quarterly distributions.
A fool and his money are good for business.

KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:13 am

Thank you for the link.

Is there any reason why Vanguard doesn't distribute dividends from all funds on a single day instead of making us check three separate days plus the last day of the month (for the standard bond fund and money market interest distributions)?

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:40 am

Thanks for the link!
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:45 am

KlingKlang wrote:Thank you for the link.

Is there any reason why Vanguard doesn't distribute dividends from all funds on a single day instead of making us check three separate days plus the last day of the month (for the standard bond fund and money market interest distributions)?

They are usually all in by the end of June. I normally just wait for the month to close - that way I can see quarterly and monthly payments.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:47 am

KlingKlang wrote:Is there any reason why Vanguard doesn't distribute dividends from all funds on a single day instead of making us check three separate days plus the last day of the month (for the standard bond fund and money market interest distributions)?

I like that funds have different dates because sometimes that allows one to avoid distributions while being invested 100% of the time. One would make timely exchanges to do so.

Of course, if you have no taxable accounts, then this wouldn't matter to you.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:51 am

l don't see the amounts posted yet for ETFs that are being declared today (VTI/VXUS).
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:00 pm

InvestorNewb wrote:l don't see the amounts posted yet for ETFs that are being declared today (VTI/VXUS).

"today" means 23:59:59 in Vanguard time.

InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:17 pm

livesoft wrote:
InvestorNewb wrote:l don't see the amounts posted yet for ETFs that are being declared today (VTI/VXUS).

Seems like a great way to annoy customers. In that case they should just say 06/20 is the declaration date.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:20 pm

Yes, I am annoyed every quarter.

Dale_G

Post by Dale_G » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:57 pm

Since many funds share the same board of directors, the directors must be very busy figuring out the dividends from say 11:30 pm to a few seconds before midnight. :D

Dale
Volatility is my friend

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:59 pm

Actually, I think they know the numbers many hours or even days beforehand, but they don't update the web site.

snowman

Post by snowman » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:12 pm

http://www.dividend.com/dividend-stocks ... arket-etf/

Here is VTI; VXUS not yet declared.

InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:30 pm

snowman wrote:

http://www.dividend.com/dividend-stocks ... arket-etf/

Here is VTI; VXUS not yet declared.

Strange.. why would it be posted there prior to the information being made public by Vanguard? At the time of this writing, VTI's dividend of $0.5750 is posted on dividend.com but not on VG's official distributions page.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:45 pm

Note: as of 12:45am ET on 6/20 the Vanguard funds still haven't declared according to their own website. 8-)

dividend.com has the information for many of the funds but notably VXUS is still missing.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

TIAX

Post by TIAX » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:47 pm

livesoft wrote:
KlingKlang wrote:Is there any reason why Vanguard doesn't distribute dividends from all funds on a single day instead of making us check three separate days plus the last day of the month (for the standard bond fund and money market interest distributions)?

I like that funds have different dates because sometimes that allows one to avoid distributions while being invested 100% of the time. One would make timely exchanges to do so.

Of course, if you have no taxable accounts, then this wouldn't matter to you.

That's interesting. Can you give us an example? Why do you not do this every quarter?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:30 am

TIAX wrote:That's interesting. Can you give us an example? Why do you not do this every quarter?

VFIAX and VLCAX have different dates.

On June 20, 2017 (today) you could sell VV and buy VLCAX and not receive the June dividend from either of them.

Why not every quarter? Some discussion is here -> viewtopic.php?f=10&t=221481

Lieutenant.Columbo

Post by Lieutenant.Columbo » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:46 am

livesoft wrote:I like that funds have different dates because sometimes that allows one to avoid distributions while being invested 100% of the time. One would make timely exchanges to do so
livesoft,
could you share an example of you actually do to avoid distributions in taxable funds, please? thanks
Lt. Columbo: Well, what do you know. Here I am talking with some of the smartest people in the world, and I didn't even notice!

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:16 am

Lieutenant.Columbo wrote:livesoft,
could you share an example of you actually do to avoid distributions in taxable funds, please? thanks

Sell VV on 3/14/2016
Buy VTI on 3/15/2016

ex-dividend date was 3/15/2016 for both VV and VTI

Lieutenant.Columbo

Post by Lieutenant.Columbo » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:31 am

livesoft wrote:
Lieutenant.Columbo wrote:livesoft,

Sell VV on 3/14/2016
Buy VTI on 3/15/2016

Thank you.
1. how do you know how much VV to sell?
2. selling VV would incur capital gains tax, wouldn't it? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of avoiding the VV distribution?
Lt. Columbo: Well, what do you know. Here I am talking with some of the smartest people in the world, and I didn't even notice!

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:38 am

Lieutenant.Columbo wrote:Thank you.
2. selling VV would incur capital gains tax, wouldn't it? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of avoiding the VV distribution?

1. What? I sold whatever I felt like. I don't recall exactly, but maybe I sold all lots purchased in the past 2 years in that account. I don't remember.
2. Yes, capital gains sometimes, but sometimes a capital loss. All my realized capital gains have been offset by losses (some carried over from 2009) from tax-loss harvesting. So I avoid a dividend and avoid net capital gains, too. Thus, I avoid increasing my AGI needlessly.

Lieutenant.Columbo

Post by Lieutenant.Columbo » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:18 am

livesoft wrote:

1. What? I sold whatever I felt like. I don't recall exactly, but maybe I sold all lots purchased in the past 2 years in that account. I don't remember.
2. Yes, capital gains sometimes, but sometimes a capital loss. All my realized capital gains have been offset by losses (some carried over from 2009) from tax-loss harvesting. So I avoid a dividend and avoid net capital gains, too. Thus, I avoid increasing my AGI needlessly.
do you have to pay attention to not selling when the fund's price has gone down as a result of the upcoming distribution?

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:22 am

Lieutenant.Columbo wrote:
livesoft wrote:

do you have to pay attention to not selling when the fund's price has gone down as a result of the upcoming distribution?

I don't follow; the goal is to avoid increasing AGI. What that has to do with the fund price going "down as a result of the upcoming distribution" is not clear. And that happens instantaneously at ex-dividend, which is why in the example provided (see above) he buys VTI ex-dividend.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:24 pm

Lieutenant.Columbo wrote:do you have to pay attention to not selling when the fund's price has gone down as a result of the upcoming distribution?

Of course not. I love to sell when the fund's price has gone down because either
(a) I realize a lower amount of capital gains and thus use up less of my carryover losses, or
(b) I realize a higher amount of capital losses and thus add more to my carryover losses.

My "replacement fund" will go up or down essentially the same relative amount as the fund I sold as long as I do the buy and sell at about the same time. Of course, I try to buy at a lower relative price when I can and that happens often enough. (Do not forget that I love Love LOVE to do market timing!)

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:47 pm

livesoft wrote:

triceratop wrote:Note: as of 12:45am ET on 6/20 the Vanguard funds still haven't declared according to their own website. 8-)

dividend.com has the information for many of the funds but notably VXUS is still missing.

VTSAX distribution information for 6/19 was actually posted on the Vanguard website around 02:00:00 EST on 6/20 (Vanguard time).
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

Lieutenant.Columbo

Post by Lieutenant.Columbo » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Lieutenant.Columbo wrote:do you have to pay attention to not selling when the fund's price has gone down as a result of the upcoming distribution?
triceratop wrote:I don't follow; the goal is to avoid increasing AGI. What that has to do with the fund price going "down as a result of the upcoming distribution" is not clear. And that happens instantaneously at ex-dividend, which is why in the example provided (see above) he buys VTI ex-dividend.
You might have followed hadn't you assumed I know as much as you do about this. I didn't know exactly when a fund value goes down as a result of the distribution (I see now that both occur simultaneously, which makes sense). If they didn't happen simultaneously, then (and livesoft's notwithstanding) one would have to figure out if the loss incurred when potentially selling when the fund has lost value is overridden by avoiding the AGI increase and, hence, my question above.
livesoft wrote:Of course not. I love to sell when the fund's price has gone down because either
(a) I realize a lower amount of capital gains and thus use up less of my carryover losses, or
(b) I realize a higher amount of capital losses and thus add more to my carryover losses.

My "replacement fund" will go up or down essentially the same relative amount as the fund I sold as long as I do the buy and sell at about the same time. Of course, I try to buy at a lower relative price when I can and that happens often enough. (Do not forget that I love Love LOVE to do market timing!)
livesoft,
thank you for sharing your well-thought strategy.

Lieutenant.Columbo

Post by Lieutenant.Columbo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:21 pm

livesoft wrote:Sell VV on 3/14/2016
Buy VTI on 3/15/2016

livesoft, one more question:
when you execute this strategy in order to avoid AGI increase, do you typically (intend to) revert assets to the original fund they were in (VV in your example)?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:31 pm

No, I do not intend to revert. It is just like tax-loss harvesting: No need to sell unless something has a loss or I need cash to pay expenses or I need to rebalance. But I can do rebalancing in my tax-advantaged accounts.

I hope you get the idea that I don't sit around scheming how to do this. Sometimes the stars align and I go "Oh, I should do this to save a little bit on taxes."

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:44 pm

oldzey wrote:
livesoft wrote:

triceratop wrote:Note: as of 12:45am ET on 6/20 the Vanguard funds still haven't declared according to their own website. 8-)

VTSAX distribution information for 6/19 was actually posted on the Vanguard website around 02:00:00 EST on 6/20 (Vanguard time).

Also, shortly after 02:00:00 EST (Vanguard time) the next day (on 6/21), the VTSAX reinvest price was posted.

Lieutenant.Columbo

Post by Lieutenant.Columbo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:01 pm

livesoft wrote:No, I do not intend to revert. It is just like tax-loss harvesting: No need to sell unless something has a loss or I need cash to pay expenses or I need to rebalance. But I can do rebalancing in my tax-advantaged accounts.
I see, so both funds should be relatively equivalent/comparable
livesoft wrote:I hope you get the idea that I don't sit around scheming how to do this. Sometimes the stars align and I go "Oh, I should do this to save a little bit on taxes."
What I think happens is that close to each "Dividend Day" your biological clocks ticks and you go "Oh, I should do this to save a little bit on taxes." :wink:

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:33 am

oldzey wrote:
oldzey wrote:
livesoft wrote:

Also, shortly after 02:00:00 EST (Vanguard time) the next day (on 6/21), the VTSAX reinvest price was posted.

And shortly after 02:00:00 EST on the third day (6/22), the VTSAX dividend showed up in my checking account, as planned. The transaction was also posted to my VG brokerage account shortly after 02:00:00 EST on 6/22 as well.

BlackHat

Post by BlackHat » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:02 pm

I have a question. I have VFIAX and it is paying out a dividend. The record date is 6/21, the reinvest date is 6/22 and the payable date is 6/23. If I want to buy shares of VFIAX, when is the best time to do it? This is in a taxable account. Thank you.
“Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.” -- Confucius

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:04 pm

^Anytime after yesterday.