A daily panic on the averages a day or two ago

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
selftalk

A daily panic on the averages a day or two ago

Post by selftalk » Fri May 19, 2017 10:31 am

In the "big drop" in the large indices the other day the VTI range was about $ 1.50. Big deal! Don`t get me wrong but I suppose every little bit helps. The tv financial media must have gone nuts those days instilling fear this time in the viewers psyche.

Dottie57

Re: A daily panic on the averages a day or two ago

Post by Dottie57 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:39 am

What big drop are you talking about?

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:04 am

all I do is buy more those days and laugh

at certain points this Wednesday you would've thought the world was ending ... my only regret is not buying more shares, but I thought the hysteria would extend another day or 2 ... oh well, looks like total market is trending right back to where it was Tuesday at the close. thanks for the cheaper shares I guess.

midareff

Post by midareff » Fri May 19, 2017 11:18 am

Dottie57 wrote:What big drop are you talking about?

Exactly.... did the market drop? seems like today it is surging! Wait a minute, it's a market and it goes up and down like it supposed to.

selftalk

Post by selftalk » Fri May 19, 2017 11:26 am

Dottie57, Read my post again and you`ll see it was sarcasm about the media informing the investing public.

Portfolio7

Post by Portfolio7 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:34 am

I have a tiny IRA, (my play money) <1% of my portfolio, that's 100% in ILF ... so when Brazil plunged 10% and they stopped trading, I was moderately bummed. However, it's back up a healthy amount today. It seems that nothing bad can stick in this market.

The headlines were interesting though, even for just a one day market event. A good reminder that every sustained drop will be accompanied by plenty of bleak, end of the world type articles.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:39 am

midareff wrote:

Exactly.... did the market drop? seems like today it is surging! Wait a minute, it's a market and it goes up and down like it supposed to.

it is funny to watch the daily plummet/surge ... then scale back to weekly/monthly/yearly for perspective. market is booming today! oh wait, its trending towards what it already was at the close 3 days ago. good times.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Fri May 19, 2017 11:46 am

selftalk wrote:In the "big drop" in the large indices the other day the VTI range was about $ 1.50. Big deal! Don`t get me wrong but I suppose every little bit helps. The tv financial media must have gone nuts those days instilling fear this time in the viewers psyche.

Honestly, there is more fear talk here than there was on TV. Seems like even though BH intellectually know volatility like that is totally normal they always want to attribute it to panic instead of what it likely was, a news cycle triggered hedging and profit locking event. It was a blip, a normal should happen half dozen times a year blip. Someday I hope to see a panic buying thread to balance things out. A month ago VTI was $120.44, currently it is $122.62, seems like a pretty good month to me.
Run, You Clever Boy!

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri May 19, 2017 11:50 am

Newscaster:
The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 375 points in heavy trading today on news that someone (they didn't say who exactly, could be Batman) may be under investigation.
The S&P 500 fell 40 points and the Nasdaq Index fell 120 points.

Statistician:
Translation of newscaster's report: The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 1.7%, the S&P 500 fell 1.7%, Nasdaq fell 2.0%.

Average Jane:
Hi Mary, did you hear? I heard on the news that there is a big sale over at the Trader's Mart. Yeah! Big, huge sale!
Mary: Really Jane? :happy How much are the savings? There's this blouse I've been eyeing but I'm waiting for a real sale because my dollars are limited.
Jane: The advertisement said prices as low as 2% OFF! :greedy
Mary: Are you sure? :o Only 2%? :shock:
Jane: Yes, I'm sure.
Mary: That's not a sale! :oops: Let me know when the prices are off 20%, then I can really save some money.

And in other news............ :twisted:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Fri May 19, 2017 11:58 am

As Yogi Berra said, "The past ain't what it used to be." People forget what a real bear market is. The drop we just had isn't it. As the market has gone higher and higher, the percentages represented by a 300 point drop in the DOW gets to be less and less. At one time, a 300 point loss was a big deal, maybe a 5% drop. Today, it isn't even 2%. The markets are recovering, this isn't a bear market, this isn't a correction, just a daily fluctuation.
A fool and his money are good for business.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:45 pm

selftalk wrote:Dottie57, Read my post again and you`ll see it was sarcasm about the media informing the investing public.

I was asking a serious question. I've been reading political stuff lately. Not checking markets every day.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Fri May 19, 2017 1:06 pm

Right. And it's not the size of the drop, but what's behind it. Wall Street waking up to, or finally admitting, reality?
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle