Milestone and not peeking. . .

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
stemikger

Milestone and not peeking. . .

Post by stemikger » Thu May 18, 2017 5:03 pm

I never thought I'd post a milestone report, but hey you guys don't really know me and I'm feeling pretty good about my accomplishments, so here goes. I'm also hoping this will encourage the younger folks (I'm 52 will be 53 in June) who are just starting out and/or feel they are starting late. I didn't start until I was in my early 30s and did everything wrong for the first several years.

I never made a lot of money, but since my early 30s have been employed.

I have been trying to follow the no peeking rule, but today I had to check on my 401K and was surprised to see I made it to $600K. I have another $30K in my TIRA, but don't like to count that for some reason.

I feel like my compounding is really taking on a life of its own. I know I have taken the long way here due to changing my AA all the time, but even with all the screw ups, I still got to this point. Thank you Bogleheads!!

I appreciate you all putting up with me.

Press on Regardless!!!
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

EdLaFave

Re: Milestone and not peeking. . .

Post by EdLaFave » Thu May 18, 2017 5:14 pm

Congratulations on your milestone! I think it is important to celebrate these events otherwise it can feel like a real slog. I hope your hard work brings you a lot of happiness and satisfaction. Enjoy it!

blueblock

Post by blueblock » Thu May 18, 2017 6:40 pm

Excellent. I like reading about Bogleheads' milestones. Congrats!

I remember having a negative net worth when I was 35. I remember it, because it sucked. I also remember the point where my 401K took on a life of its own: subsequent to 2008-09, when I was maxing out 401K contributions, as the recovery progressed I could hardly believe my eyes, but there it was, month after month, year after year. Seriously, when I hit my number, it took another six months for me to actually believe it.

Now I'm 65 and have been retired for two years.

Tom1320

Post by Tom1320 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:08 pm

Congratulations to you. Yes slow and steady can win the race. Once you find the road to Bogleland 8-)
"And this, too, shall pass away." How much it expresses! How chastening in the hour of pride! How consoling in the depths of affliction! - Our 16th President

SimplicityNow

Post by SimplicityNow » Thu May 18, 2017 8:29 pm

Milestones are always worth celebrating.

Congratulations!

jmndu99

Post by jmndu99 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:41 pm

stem.....,

I do not know you, although I have read your contributions to other posts.

I am not where you are yet, nor am I one of the "younger" folks. I am one who got started later.

Congratulations fellow bogelhead

bigred77

Post by bigred77 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:49 pm

That's pretty awesome. Congrats!

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu May 18, 2017 8:51 pm

One of my favorite sayings regarding investing...

"Eventually Compounding Does The Heavy Lifting Of The Portfolio" :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Fri May 19, 2017 1:38 am

Congrats! :sharebeer
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Fri May 19, 2017 2:49 am

Congrats!

On the 'not peeking' though, while it may be a good thing to stop behavioral problems, there are some things that would make me reconsider that policy. In particular, I think it's important to verify your deposits are occurring and being accounted for properly, it's also important to be on the lookout for any fraudulent activity - there is a limited amount of time you have to report unauthorized transactions that show up, and in the case of someone who is not making any regular transactions it's important to make some regular contact with the account - there are rules that have been put in place that if nothing happens in the account over a period of time, and if the company doesn't make contact with you, the account may be turned over to the state under escheat laws making assumptions that the account was abandoned
http://www.bankrate.com/investing/does- ... our-money/
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Fri May 19, 2017 5:30 am

Congrats. For the record though I am not a fan of the no peeking guideline. If Vanguard or whomever screws up, well bad news does not get better with age so I want to know about it ASAP.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

ajjulee

Post by ajjulee » Fri May 19, 2017 5:52 am

Congratulations on you crossing the milestone! Wish you many more in the future.
What I write on this forum is sometimes the truth, maybe the whole truth, and not always nothing but the truth, for the purposes of online anonymity.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri May 19, 2017 6:10 am

Congrats :sharebeer . Onwards and upwards.....
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Snowjob

Post by Snowjob » Fri May 19, 2017 6:18 am

Congrats!

I always like reading your posts debating this or that allocation, I think they are very relocatable to most people myself included. If I recall you have settled on the balanced fund as a 1 stop shop -- have you always held a significant number of bonds? Love hearing about the posters who have made it despite not making a lot of money and how they did it. Its much more relateable to me so thank you for sharing and again congrats.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Fri May 19, 2017 6:27 am

SpringMan wrote:Congrats. For the record though I am not a fan of the no peeking guideline. If Vanguard or whomever screws up, well bad news does not get better with age so I want to know about it ASAP.

I can peek at my transaction history without neurotically monitoring my total portfolio balances. It helps that all of my assets are not in one place (not necessarily by choice, it's just how it worked out), but even if they were I would avoid checking the last, bottom number.

My spreadsheet is set up so I can see two pieces of information without scrolling:

stock/bond ratio
domestic/international stock ratio

So I can see if I need rebalancing without 'peeking'

I do check our main accounts at least 1-2 times per quarter for transactions, deposits, and fraud, and review everything in great detail every quarer.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Fri May 19, 2017 6:30 am

Snowjob wrote:Congrats!

I always like reading your posts debating this or that allocation, I think they are very relocatable to most people myself included. If I recall you have settled on the balanced fund as a 1 stop shop -- have you always held a significant number of bonds? Love hearing about the posters who have made it despite not making a lot of money and how they did it. Its much more relateable to me so thank you for sharing and again congrats.

Thanks everyone I appreciate it!!

Snowjob,

Yes, I always held a significant portion of bonds. When I was in my 30s I was holding a 50/50 stocks and bonds for several years. If I had to do it again, I would have been about 80/20, but it was all part of the learning process. Today I am 60/40 and plan to stay there for quite a while, if not forever. Hope this helps.

Steve

Snowjob

Post by Snowjob » Fri May 19, 2017 6:40 am

stemikger wrote:...Yes, I always held a significant portion of bonds. When I was in my 30s I was holding a 50/50 stocks and bonds for several years. If I had to do it again, I would have been about 80/20, but it was all part of the learning process. Today I am 60/40 and plan to stay there for quite a while, if not forever. Hope this helps.

Steve

I've always held those Graham 75/25 <-> 25/75 boundaries as being sound advice and considering we've just been through an 8 year expansion it can can feel a bit nauseating at times thinking about what I could have made with 100% equity (especially when my bonds were mostly a stable value fund and never appreciated as dramatically as traditional bonds). But I know as soon as I were to throw in the towel the rally would end so I'm committed to holding the line if for my own future sanity ! Slow and steady I guess. I too will be heavily committed to the vanguard balanced fund in my later years for simplicity

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Fri May 19, 2017 6:52 am

Congrats - stay the course!

JT

Accrual

Post by Accrual » Fri May 19, 2017 8:39 am

This is great news! Congrats :beer

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Fri May 19, 2017 9:39 am

Well Done! Always enjoy reading your posts.
“Where you stand, depends on where you sit” - Rufus Miles | "Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities"

selftalk

Post by selftalk » Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am

Keep following your hard won rules. It`s certainly working well.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Fri May 19, 2017 10:57 am

stemikger wrote:[...]I'm also hoping this will encourage the younger folks (I'm 52 will be 53 in June) who are just starting out and/or feel they are starting late. I didn't start until I was in my early 30s and did everything wrong for the first several years.[...]

Congatulations on your reaching the milestone!

That said, this failed to have the intended effect on me. Though I am a few years younger, I (believe I) wised up a few years earlier in life as well. So, I am disheartened that my 401(k) is not on par. I wonder where I went wrong (or if I am still wrong!). If you have the figures noted somewhere, would you mind sharing your annual progression (if not here, then PM) please? Specifically, I am looking for something along the lines of:

Year - Beginning balance - Contributions

rojas65

Post by rojas65 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:15 am

Just a note that, IMHO, returns are a function of asset allocation. Obviously, 100% equities for the past 8 years will have a higher return than 80/20 or something similar. Plus, the amount of international (if any) will also affect returns. Since total market index funds reflect the returns of the market itself, the only way to get different returns from someone else is to have different asset allocations in different asset classes, rebalance (or not) and when and how much more new dollars are put into the investment accounts.

My philosophy is to choose an asset allocation and stay the course, with adjustments made for other life-events, etc. YMMV. Good luck to one and all!
:happy

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Fri May 19, 2017 11:27 am

rojas65 wrote:Just a note that, IMHO, returns are a function of asset allocation. Obviously, 100% equities for the past 8 years will have a higher return than 80/20 or something similar. Plus, the amount of international (if any) will also affect returns. Since total market index funds reflect the returns of the market itself, the only way to get different returns from someone else is to have different asset allocations in different asset classes, rebalance (or not) and when and how much more new dollars are put into the investment accounts.

My philosophy is to choose an asset allocation and stay the course, with adjustments made for other life-events, etc. YMMV. Good luck to one and all!
:happy

Yes, agreed! Plus I might've been on higher fees and also lesser employer contributions, etc.

Re: asset allocation, I believe OP wrote about being 50/50 then moving to 60/40, so couldn't have been more than that at any point in time ...

Anyway, it would be worth doing a quick comparison. At least, it would be a more appropriate apples to apples comparison rather than comparing net worth, etc - because the 401(k) limits apply to everyone :-)

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:30 am

Way to go Stemikger!! :D
You have a nice cushion built up with your AA, guess we won't have to talk you off the cliff anymore :shock: :D

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Fri May 19, 2017 11:37 am

Thanks for sharing your story and results! That is a nice chuck of change!! :moneybag

Stay the course!
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri May 19, 2017 11:45 am

I feel like my compounding is really taking on a life of its own.

Congrats! I know this feeling too and I like it. It's a great feeling.

Portfolio7

Post by Portfolio7 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:14 pm

Congratulations! I'm 50, and last year was the second year that our returns exceeded my entire salary (the first being 2013). That is a good feeling. I'm looking forward to when our returns exceed our combined salaries, whenever that may happen.

Our AA has been all over the place over roughly 22 years of investing. It was always heavy on equities, but we had no clue how to really 'diversify'. The only constant was that the portfolio was between 60 and 100% equities. I finally figured out a reasonable model AA less than two years ago. It took 7 iterations to get to a place where I felt good about it (hence my tag.) I should have come to this site ages ago. Despite all this, compounded returns over those 22 years were very solid. Time in the market has been more important than having a well-reasoned AA.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.

WiscoTrout

Post by WiscoTrout » Fri May 19, 2017 3:40 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:Congrats :sharebeer . Onwards and upwards.....

+1 - Well said and another one on me. :sharebeer Love seeing these type of posts!

Johnnie

Post by Johnnie » Fri May 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Yay you! Yay me and us too - I suspect few are on this board who don't deserve a little pat on the back for discipline and conscientiousness! Way to go, gang.

I peek all the time when the market is going up, but turn it right off when it's going down.

I'm a few years older than the OP and am tantalizingly close a major milestone myself (yeah, that one). This has made me more aware of a problem most of us may share: It's hard to find just the right audience to brag and gloat with!

If I were to precisely name the milestone I'm approaching maybe half the people on this board would roll their eyes and think, "That's all? At his age?"
A big chunk of the rest would think, "Must be nice" in a grumbling fashion.
Only a small subset - those of a similar vintage who are sitting on a similar sized pile - would smile and nod cheerfully with no other thought than, "Me too, woo-hoo, yay us!"

This being Bogleheads that assessment is surely too pessimistic; but Bogleheads being Beings, Human, Mark 1, it's not completely off base either. :twisted:

Whatever - Yay you, yay me, yay us! :sharebeer
"I know nothing."

Big Snack

Post by Big Snack » Fri May 19, 2017 6:07 pm

Kudos to those that have hit milestones! I just turned 50 and recently hit a big one myself. I know sometimes this board can be a little intimidating with all of the high earners but for those who are not, you can do well too, especially if you start early.

My father got me to start buying stock once I got out of college. He had me start by buying stock of a large company and something called the Vanguard 500 index fund. It got me in the habit of investing at an early age. My first job out of college paid $19,000 per year and I have never made six figures in annual salary but I was able to hit at nice milestone at 50. Start as early as possible, max out your retirement accounts as soon as possible and you might be surprised where you end up.
Last edited by Big Snack on Fri May 19, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

epictetus

Post by epictetus » Fri May 19, 2017 6:18 pm

congratulations!
i always enjoy reading your posts.
you and the balanced index fund are strongly linked in my mind!
Focus on what you can control

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Fri May 19, 2017 6:24 pm

Congratulations!

I am definitely a peeker…if by peeking you mean updating and reconciling my spreadsheets every day.

MEA

Post by MEA » Fri May 19, 2017 7:15 pm

Congratulations!

Anyone else find that when they hit a new milestone it doesn't seem like a lot of money anymore. When we reached 100K it didn't seem like a lot of money. I thought if we could double it "that would be a lot of money." But when we reached 200K it no longer seemed like a lot. 400 seemed like a lot, until we got there. Anyone else experience this?
It is speculators speculating on other speculators speculations. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury signifying nothing.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Fri May 19, 2017 7:43 pm

an_asker wrote:
stemikger wrote:[...]I'm also hoping this will encourage the younger folks (I'm 52 will be 53 in June) who are just starting out and/or feel they are starting late. I didn't start until I was in my early 30s and did everything wrong for the first several years.[...]

That said, this failed to have the intended effect on me. Though I am a few years younger, I (believe I) wised up a few years earlier in life as well. So, I am disheartened that my 401(k) is not on par. I wonder where I went wrong (or if I am still wrong!). If you have the figures noted somewhere, would you mind sharing your annual progression (if not here, then PM) please? Specifically, I am looking for something along the lines of:

Hi an_asker,

I don't really keep records, but PM me and maybe I can give you info that may help.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Fri May 19, 2017 7:44 pm

Miriam2 wrote:Way to go Stemikger!! :D
You have a nice cushion built up with your AA, guess we won't have to talk you off the cliff anymore :shock: :D

LOL +1

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Fri May 19, 2017 7:48 pm

MEA wrote:Congratulations!

Anyone else find that when they hit a new milestone it doesn't seem like a lot of money anymore. When we reached 100K it didn't seem like a lot of money. I thought if we could double it "that would be a lot of money." But when we reached 200K it no longer seemed like a lot. 400 seemed like a lot, until we got there. Anyone else experience this?

Yes. I noticed this too. Maybe that is why I skipped the 500K milestone celebration and waited for 600K. It is a weird dynamic I don't quite understand., but I can relate. I always thought once I reached 500K it would be unreal, but truthfully it didn't feel like a big deal. I felt more of a thrill when I paid off my mortgage a few years back.

P.S. Thanks again everyone. I appreciate all the well wishes. Like another poster said, it is a good place to tell the world about what you accomplished without seeming like a bragger.

InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb » Fri May 19, 2017 8:05 pm

+1 very much so. At this rate I feel like I will never feel "well off' since I always want more.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)

MEA

Post by MEA » Fri May 19, 2017 8:20 pm

stemikger wrote:

Yes. I noticed this too. Maybe that is why I skipped the 500K milestone celebration and waited for 600K. It is a weird dynamic I don't quite understand., but I can relate. I always thought once I reached 500K it would be unreal, but truthfully it didn't feel like a big deal. I felt more of a thrill when I paid off my mortgage a few years back

I don't understand it either. Reminds me of a quote from Benjamin Franklin. "Money has never made man happy, nor will it, there is nothing in its nature to produce happiness. The more of it one has the more one wants."

I find that to be very true.
It is speculators speculating on other speculators speculations. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury signifying nothing.

J295

Post by J295 » Sat May 20, 2017 7:49 am

Glad for your happiness!

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Sat May 20, 2017 8:40 am

an_asker wrote:

I'm not sure if this would help, but here is my entire 401K portfolio. Only two funds:

The Vanguard Institutional Index Fund - 60%
The Blackrock U.S.Debt Index Fund - 40%

I also contribute the max which is $18,000 and because I'm over 50 I put in another $6,000. This comes up to $24,000. My firm puts in a 5% of my salary which came up to $3,900 last year. Hope this helps. Steve

mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster » Sat May 20, 2017 8:52 am

SpringMan wrote:Congrats. For the record though I am not a fan of the no peeking guideline. If Vanguard or whomever screws up, well bad news does not get better with age so I want to know about it ASAP.

I think peeking frequently is a good idea.

I peek every couple weeks. It gives me direction about how to allocate extra investment capital. (ie: My bonds are lower. Rather than waiting until it hits my 5% redistribution band, I'll just buy some bonds with the $10,000 extra I have this month.)

In addition, peeking frequently gives my brain more points of data so that dips don't freak me out. I figure it's training me for the next crash, so I won't have the impulse to change my investment ratio and sell low.

csrx

Post by csrx » Sat May 20, 2017 12:10 pm

Thanks for sharing your accomplishment stemikger.

I too got a late start, have muddled things up along the way, but am now beginning to practice the core Boglehead investing principles after 3 years of following the forum. I have found it's much harder to put these principles into practice then I thought, but I am the better for it now and appreciate everyone's guidance, active discussion and accomplishment stories.

Keep up the good work; kudos on your accomplishment and being a role model for those that follow.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sat May 20, 2017 1:07 pm

JoMoney wrote:Congrats!

On the 'not peeking' though, while it may be a good thing to stop behavioral problems, there are some things that would make me reconsider that policy. In particular, I think it's important to verify your deposits are occurring and being accounted for properly, it's also important to be on the lookout for any fraudulent activity - there is a limited amount of time you have to report unauthorized transactions that show up, and in the case of someone who is not making any regular transactions it's important to make some regular contact with the account - there are rules that have been put in place that if nothing happens in the account over a period of time, and if the company doesn't make contact with you, the account may be turned over to the state under escheat laws making assumptions that the account was abandoned
http://www.bankrate.com/investing/does- ... our-money/

I had not heard of escheat laws before; thanks for the heads up.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sun May 21, 2017 1:11 pm

mmcmonster wrote:

I think peeking frequently is a good idea.

I peek every couple weeks. It gives me direction about how to allocate extra investment capital. (ie: My bonds are lower. Rather than waiting until it hits my 5% redistribution band, I'll just buy some bonds with the $10,000 extra I have this month.)

I can see my asset allocation percentages without peeking; I set up my portfolio this way, for this reason.

In addition, peeking frequently gives my brain more points of data so that dips don't freak me out. I figure it's training me for the next crash, so I won't have the impulse to change my investment ratio and sell low.

The scientific name for this approach is "exposure-response prevention." It is a valid method of desensitizing to anxiety but you have to be sure that the practice exposures (in vitro) are similar in intensity to the real life exposures (in vivo). If you think you are desensitizing yourself to 50% crashes but only practice with 10% declines, not only will you have no built up protection against a 50% decline, but you'll be vulernable while believing you are in fact defended. This overconfidence may paradoxically make you even more vulnerable to irrational behaviors under extreme stress, not less.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Sun May 21, 2017 5:31 pm

stemikger wrote:
an_asker wrote:

I'm not sure if this would help, but here is my entire 401K portfolio. Only two funds:

The Vanguard Institutional Index Fund - 60%
The Blackrock U.S.Debt Index Fund - 40%

I also contribute the max which is $18,000 and because I'm over 50 I put in another $6,000. This comes up to $24,000. My firm puts in a 5% of my salary which came up to $3,900 last year. Hope this helps. Steve

Steve:

Thanks for your responses to my question - it does help for sure!

Reviewing my own retirement accounts, I notice a couple of things that sorta explain the difference; not only that, if I adjust my numbers to use your percentages, it might even end up that my account would've surpassed yours!! Here are the main differences:

- I've multiple 401(k)s because of different employers

- my asset allocation also is partly to blame for the difference. Though I've less allocation to bonds, I've dabbled a bit in tilting (not a lot, but obviously enough to hurt me): I've got a few % of international, emerging markets, and mid/small caps as well (not in all accounts, but still enough to be probably somewhere between 5-20% - I didn't do the exact math - of my 401(k) portfolio). That said, I'm not going to go make any changes to "match" you :-)

- but the biggest of all is the employer match category. Assuming you've had the 5% match throughout, that explains a lot! To put things in perspective, for EIGHT years - from 2006 to 2013 - my total employer match was about $3,750 (and I've been contributing the max to 401(k) throughout); just that amount, hand in hand with how the market performed since 2008, would likely make up a difference of at least $50,000 or so!

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Sun May 21, 2017 9:04 pm

epictetus wrote:congratulations!

+1 Good for you Stemikger! :sharebeer

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave » Mon May 22, 2017 3:14 pm

:sharebeer Way to go!! I just turned 53 and hit the same in my 401 at the end of last year. I started early, but got hit with a 0.5X in 2009 (no, not the financial crises, wound up single again). Persistence pays off.
Don't do something. Just stand there!

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Tue May 23, 2017 2:01 am

IlliniDave wrote::sharebeer Way to go!! I just turned 53 and hit the same in my 401 at the end of last year. I started early, but got hit with a 0.5X in 2009 (no, not the financial crises, wound up single again). Persistence pays off.

Thanks Dave, sorry you are going through this.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Tue May 23, 2017 2:02 am

GoldenFinch wrote:
epictetus wrote:congratulations!

+1 Good for you Stemikger! :sharebeer

Thanks GF!!

Thanks again everyone!!