[Yahoo Finance no longer works - Alternatives to download securities quotes]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
JohnFiscal

Re: Excel Macro using Yahoo Finance- not working

Post by JohnFiscal »

I am familiar with "gummy" from the Canadian forum, and I figured I would check out the link to the Yahoo data download. Apparently Yahoo sent a 'cease and desist' email and this information has been taken down, I don't know if this was recently or if this has been longstanding. http://www.gummy-stuff.org/Yahoo-data.htm

Yahoo's mail says that the use of the macro is "hacking" their system. I wonder if this is really and truly the case. I suppose they lose money by not selling you to their advertisers. But still I wonder.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

JohnFiscal wrote:I am familiar with "gummy" from the Canadian forum, and I figured I would check out the link to the Yahoo data download.
If you want gummy's macro, send me your email by PM. You'll need to make the above URL change to get it to work, but that's simple enough.
Last edited by dratkinson on Thu May 18, 2017 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
ValueInvestor99

Post by ValueInvestor99 »

Apple Numbers software allows pulling of stock and option prices into spreadsheets.
paper200

Post by paper200 »

The following will download stock price:
https://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/qu ... ,goog,aapl &f=sl1

General code for macro:
Https://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=" & Symbols & "&f=sl1

A month back i did not have the "download" nor "https" and it had stopped working. I download the price to excel. yahoo finance has explanation for the stuff between quotes. Please google "btnrefresh" and copy and paste the macro. P.S: I am not a software expert barely understand what the macro does.
Having freedom, food and roof is being 90% lucky in life and so is index investing. So, don't let the remaining 10% bother you.
Electron

Post by Electron »

I also noticed the problem with Yahoo Finance very recently.

The Excel macro I use for individual quotes still works, but another macro that previously downloaded Yahoo Finance Historical Data no longer works. Both macros use Excel QueryTables. I even tried doing a Web Query manually with the correct link for historical data and it fails as well.
Electron
Hal Branns

Re: GETYAHOO broken? [Spreadsheet extension]

Post by Hal Branns »

Are you still out there and is GETYAHOO still (not)/(working) for you? GETYAHOO quit working for me on approx. 5/21/17. I'm on WIN10 and recently updated to LibreCalc 5.2.7.2 I'm getting so disgusted and would love a simple solution as I auto update 29 stocks several times a week to track some securities we own. Any help out there, here or anywhere?
crusader

Post by crusader »

Hal Branns wrote:Are you still out there and is GETYAHOO still (not)/(working) for you? GETYAHOO quit working for me on approx. 5/21/17. I'm on WIN10 and recently updated to LibreCalc 5.2.7.2 I'm getting so disgusted and would love a simple solution as I auto update 29 stocks several times a week to track some securities we own. Any help out there, here or anywhere?
Hello Hal,
I signed up on this forum specifically to respond to your concern: I feel your pain. The following formula works in LibreOffice:

Code: Select all

=NUMBERVALUE(WEBSERVICE("http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes?s="&U4&"&f=l1"),".")
Where U4 is the cell address of the ticker symbol.

Details can be found here.

Good luck!
LO 7.x on Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon & Win 10 | A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
jimb_fromATL
Location: Atlanta area & Piedmont Triad NC and Interstate 85 in between.

Post by jimb_fromATL »

crusader wrote:
Hal Branns wrote:Are you still out there and is GETYAHOO still (not)/(working) for you? GETYAHOO quit working for me on approx. 5/21/17. I'm on WIN10 and recently updated to LibreCalc 5.2.7.2 I'm getting so disgusted and would love a simple solution as I auto update 29 stocks several times a week to track some securities we own. Any help out there, here or anywhere?
Hello Hal,
I signed up on this forum specifically to respond to your concern: I feel your pain. The following formula works in LibreOffice:

=NUMBERVALUE(WEBSERVICE("http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes?s="&U4&"&f=l1"),".")

Good luck!
Even if you can still get some recent data from Yahoo programmatically, bear in mind that their historical data -- daily, weekly, and monthly -- no longer automatically adjusts the historical closing values for stock splits and dividends reinvested. So for calculating the gain or loss over a significant period of time and comparing one fund ot another, the data as it is downloaded is virtually useless.

HERE is a thread discussing that problem.

You can download the history of dividends by data and correlate it with your download of unadjusted closing data. However, it is no longer in the same file like it was before they changed it a year or more ago. So if you can keep it working long enough, you have to make two separate file downloads and correlate the dates for closing values and dividends -- which is a lot more work and creates a lot more room for error.

jimb
Martin

Post by Martin »

I was recently very surprised to learn that Yahoo made a change that rendered all of my excel macro based financial models garbage. They require a cookie and a crumb but it is now possible to get it back up and running with a little programming know how. Here is the link that has the sample code. I deconstructed it for my own uses but they got me up and running again.

http://www.xlautomation.com.au/free-spr ... ce-extract
dodonnell

Post by dodonnell »

Martin wrote:I was recently very surprised to learn that Yahoo made a change that rendered all of my excel macro based financial models garbage. They require a cookie and a crumb but it is now possible to get it back up and running with a little programming know how. Here is the link that has the sample code. I deconstructed it for my own uses but they got me up and running again.

http://www.xlautomation.com.au/free-spr ... ce-extract
+1 I have also
(Excel 2000 on Windows 7)
dbr

Post by dbr »

paper200 wrote:The following will download stock price:
https://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/qu ... ,goog,aapl &f=sl1

General code for macro:
Https://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=" & Symbols & "&f=sl1

A month back i did not have the "download" nor "https" and it had stopped working. I download the price to excel. yahoo finance has explanation for the stuff between quotes. Please google "btnrefresh" and copy and paste the macro. P.S: I am not a software expert barely understand what the macro does.
Thanks. I found that inserting "download" where I did not have it before fixed the problem.
raven15

Post by raven15 »

Friends, it is pretty easy to fix this. Add "download." in front of the "finance." in your old formula and it will work again. The evaluate formula tool tells you this.
It's Time. Adding Interest.
Martin

Post by Martin »

raven15 wrote:Friends, it is pretty easy to fix this. Add "download." in front of the "finance." in your old formula and it will work again. The evaluate formula tool tells you this.
I don't believe this works for historic values. That is the format to pull in a single day for multiple tickers.
Gene S

Post by Gene S »

Verizon finally bought out Yahoo for $4.5 billion. Hard to believe that Yahoo once had a market cap of $209 billion. I don't know what Verizon will do with Yahoo Finance, but it probably won't be good for Yahoo Finance users. Yahoo makes its money from web ads, and Verizon wants to capitalize on this, so hopefully Verizon won't do anything to drive Yahoo Finance users away.
Last edited by Gene S on Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Change yahoo.com to verizon.com and it will work again. Just kidding.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

crusader wrote:
Hello Hal,

Good luck!
Thanks. This works, however, the values do not automatically refresh unless you force a manual refresh of the whole spreadsheet with CTRL + ALT + F9. I wish I didn't have to remember to do this. GETYAHOO didn't have this problem.
TedSwippet

Post by TedSwippet »

madbrain wrote:Thanks. This works, however, the values do not automatically refresh unless you force a manual refresh of the whole spreadsheet with CTRL + ALT + F9. I wish I didn't have to remember to do this. GETYAHOO didn't have this problem.
Google sheets does the same thing, and while it does have direct access to Google finance functions (yay!), some of the funds I have are not tracked by Google finance so I have to go to outside sources (and then mess around a lot with text functions to extract the price from a complete web page :-( ).

For these though, I can get an automated update by having a cell that holds some time-related value, and also making that value an ignored part of the generated URL. Appending something like "&unused="&Z9 where Z9 is =TODAY() works for me, defeating any behind-the-scenes data caching in the spreadsheet URL retrieval functions.

I suspect this trick may also work for LibreOffice. Worth a try at any rate.

Updates once per day are enough for mutual fund investments. For stocks perhaps =HOUR() would be workable, if possible in LibreOffice (for what it's worth, Google sheets disallows IMPORTHTML functions where the URL contains something produced by a time function -- don't know if LibreOffice has any restrictions on outgoing URLs). I would probably shy away from anything more granular.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

TedSwippet wrote: For these though, I can get an automated update by having a cell that holds some time-related value, and also making that value an ignored part of the generated URL. Appending something like "&unused="&Z9 where Z9 is =TODAY() works for me, defeating any behind-the-scenes data caching in the spreadsheet URL retrieval functions.

Updates once per day are enough for mutual fund investments. For stocks perhaps =HOUR() would be workable, if possible in LibreOffice (for what it's worth, Google sheets disallows IMPORTHTML functions where the URL contains something produced by a time function -- don't know if LibreOffice has any restrictions on outgoing URLs). I would probably shy away from anything more granular.
Thanks, I just tried it . LibreOffice allows it, so I think it will work, but will have to check tomorrow to be sure if it updates automatically when I open the document. I only need a daily update. I don't look at this during market hours. Most of what I hold is mutual funds, only a few ETFs.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

OP here, and yes, it seems miraculously that GETYAHOO does now work. I'm on LibreOffice 5.0.3.2 under Linux Mint 17.3, and it seems all works.

Crusader -- thanks for the tip. I'll take a look at the method to which you pointed.

I'm not that anxious to put my spreadsheet up on Google Sheets (even though there is no personally identifiable information on it), just a general aversion to putting any financial information in the cloud if I can avoid it, I guess.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

oldcomputerguy wrote:
OP here, and yes, it seems miraculously that GETYAHOO does now work. I'm on LibreOffice 5.0.3.2 under Linux Mint 17.3, and it seems all works.
That's an old version of LibreOffice. Newer ones broke GETYAHOO.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

madbrain wrote:
TedSwippet wrote: For these though, I can get an automated update by having a cell that holds some time-related value, and also making that value an ignored part of the generated URL. Appending something like "&unused="&Z9 where Z9 is =TODAY() works for me, defeating any behind-the-scenes data caching in the spreadsheet URL retrieval functions.

Thanks, I just tried it . LibreOffice allows it, so I think it will work, but will have to check tomorrow to be sure if it updates automatically when I open the document. I only need a daily update. I don't look at this during market hours. Most of what I hold is mutual funds, only a few ETFs.
Unfortunately, under LibreOffice, it didn't automatically refresh upon opening the next day, or the day after that, or inputting something in the referenced date cell.

The only way to refresh was to use the manual refresh key sequence to force a refresh. Definitely a regression from GETYAHOO ...
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

1 Nov 2017
Gummy's macro didn't work today.
Rebooted and tried again. No Joy.
Assuming temporary outage, will try again tomorrow.

Looked and didn't immediately find a Yahoo web page to explain their current download instructions.
Question. Does anyone have that web page link?

Question. If Yahoo has again changed its URL, does anyone know the new fix?
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
Leif

Post by Leif »

Same thing happened to me today. I've had this happen to me on rare occasions. Hopefully it will be resolved tomorrow.
Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

It has been reported in a number of places. For example, I use the Excel SMF Add-in to get quotes from Yahoo! via RCHGetYahooQuotes() function and that stopped working yesterday afternoon. Others are noticing as well, see https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/smf ... ages/33396. The author of the SMF Add-in has also posted about it, SMF Add-in Announcements: Alert -- RCHGetYahooQuotes() problems.. There is also discussion/debugging on the sister forum, Financial Wisdom Forum (FWF), starting here.

Given the date when this occurred, the fear is this isn't a temporary glitch but a change in direction by the new Yahoo! owners.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Peculiar_Investor

A follow-up that I've also posted on FWF.

There are some clues/workarounds to the Yahoo! download problem in SMF Add-in Announcements: New ZIP File -- Version 2017.10.31.

From what I can gather from some quick testing using his supplied smfGetYahooPortfolioView-Example.xls file, the
Randy Harmelink wrote:update for the smfGetYahooPortfolioView() function, which can be a workaround until Yahoo fixes whatever problem they are having with current quotes.
does address the issue. Now I've just got to figure out how to re-work my spreadsheet to use this updated function.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:47 amGiven the date when this occurred, the fear is this isn't a temporary glitch but a change in direction by the new Yahoo! owners.
Yes, looks like the channel has tightened up. Probably worth relaxing a week or a few for the film to develop. -- Tet
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

The admin in the Yahoo Finance group reports that they're working on the outage. Hopefully he is correct, and it's not a policy change.
Tramper Al

Post by Tramper Al »

I used Excel and the Yahoo add-on (and then later the macro) for many years for my AA spreadsheet which includes tax-adjustment and cost basis tracking, among other things. But it was painful at times, like when Yahoo Finance went on holiday, or stopped "supporting" one thing or another. More than once I lost capacity for days to weeks at a time. And at the very least with any new computer I was having to install Office 2003 from an ancient CD and track down the add-on .exe and all that. And then the program started to get very SLOW - for that sheet only, as if it was bogged down by all those prices it ever imported over many years.

A year or so ago, I did make the switch to Google sheets and it really has been great. Everything is so much faster, easier. Prices update earlier and on their own. It's also easy to assess and modify on my iPhone and I can now include quotes on weird things like TIAA Real Estate account. Sure, Google Sheets will someday disappear, or stop "supporting" my AA sheet. But for now, it's a great alternative to the old Excel/Yahoo quotes situation.
SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence »

For well over a decade I've been using download.yahoo.com to get a .csv. Now that Verizon is running Yahoo, I guess the download .api has received the last nail in the coffin. This was posted on yahoo.uservoice.com:
AdminYahoo Product Support (Admin, Yahoo) responded · November 02, 2017

It has come to our attention that this service is being used in violation of the Yahoo Terms of Service. As such, the service is being discontinued. For all future markets and equities data research, please refer to finance.yahoo.com.
I'm looking for suggestions on how to continue to download a .csv from somewhere that contains symbol & closing price. So far I have not found anything very easy to use. I'm now even wondering about setting up a dummy portfolio with 1 share of each of the 35 quotes I want to track. I did try downloading from Vanguard but unless I missed something, they don't include the shares from "outside investments" and the import into a spreadsheet turned out to need some work to clean it up.

Can someone point me to a good alternative?
Leif

Post by Leif »

SittingOnTheFence wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:06 pm This was posted on yahoo.uservoice.com:

It has come to our attention that this service is being used in violation of the Yahoo Terms of Service. As such, the service is being discontinued. For all future markets and equities data research, please refer to finance.yahoo.com.
When I tried to go to yahoo.uservoice.com I got an invalid certificate message from my browser. I would hold on for a more official notice.
Last edited by Leif on Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peculiar_Investor

jhfenton wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:00 pm The admin in the Yahoo Finance group reports that they're working on the outage. Hopefully he is correct, and it's not a policy change.
Any change you have a link for this information because it seems to be contradicted by
SittingOnTheFence wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:06 pm This was posted on yahoo.uservoice.com:

Hopefully this is a left hand, right hand situation and it is not a policy change.
Tramper Al

Post by Tramper Al »

SittingOnTheFence wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:06 pm I'm looking for suggestions on how to continue to download a .csv from somewhere that contains symbol & closing price. So far I have not found anything very easy to use. I'm now even wondering about setting up a dummy portfolio with 1 share of each of the 35 quotes I want to track.
Can someone point me to a good alternative?
I have at times used the .csv download method, but at other times I have simply copy/pasted the column of prices (in your case 35) from the online source right into my spreadsheet. You just have to make sure your lists of securities matches correctly.

What you could do is simply set up your 35 tickers and their prices in a Google Sheet spreadsheet. Then you could easily access them there and copy/past the column into your spreadsheet. I am looking at my Google Sheet now, and it does have a "download as .csv function" as well.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm
jhfenton wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:00 pm The admin in the Yahoo Finance group reports that they're working on the outage. Hopefully he is correct, and it's not a policy change.
Any change you have a link for this information because it seems to be contradicted by

Hopefully this is a left hand, right hand situation and it is not a policy change.
The admin "Nixon" has since deleted his previous posts that it was being worked on and posted the notice that you quoted above. :oops:
goGators

Yahoo! Quote Not Working

Post by goGators »

[Thread merged into here, see below (Page 3) --admin LadyGeek]

Hi,
I'm having problem downloading quotes from Yahoo to MS Money using Python scripts from Pocket Sense and The Finance Buff. Is it just me?
Thank you
Doom&Gloom

Re: Yahoo! Quote Not Working

Post by Doom&Gloom »

It wasn't working for me yesterday. Haven't tried today.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Broken here for me too, GETYAHOO( ) in my spreadsheet returns "Request denied".
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
goGators

Post by goGators »

I tried
http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=VZ
and got
It has come to our attention that this service is being used in violation of the Yahoo Terms of Service. As such, the service is being discontinued. For all future markets and equities data research, please refer to finance.yahoo.com. :(
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

I noticed that it wouldn't work last night, either. At the time I set up GnuCash, Yahoo Finance was but one of dozens of choices of sites to use including Vanguard. I'll nose around about it a little over the next couple of days.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
runner9

Post by runner9 »

"PMStockQuote Excel Add-In" also stopped working yesterday :(

Suggestions for what else to use in an Excel spreadsheet greatly appreciated.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

goGators wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:20 pm I tried
and got
It has come to our attention that this service is being used in violation of the Yahoo Terms of Service. As such, the service is being discontinued. For all future markets and equities data research, please refer to finance.yahoo.com. :(
Well... I guess that's that.

:x

Time to migrate to Google Sheets, I guess, although I never really had any desire to put this stuff in the cloud.
drummerboy

Post by drummerboy »

It's not you....

The software company (IGG) that makes Banktivity sent out a note today regarding Yahoo for quotes. They got shut-off too!

Yahoo shut down the API. I guess this is a new part of the Verizon takeover! :D
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

So did Moneydance. Apple iPhone quoting quit for awhile, and then reawakened today. They're apps still credit Yahoo. And a new version of Apple Numbers just came out, which as of today gathers quotes with Yahoo just fine. -- Tet
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

jhfenton wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:46 pm The admin "Nixon" has since deleted his previous posts that it was being worked on and posted the notice that you quoted above. :oops:
At least Is Yahoo! Finance API broken? - Page 25 - Yahoo Help Community is still there, so there is some hope....
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:35 pm
goGators wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:20 pm I tried
and got
Well... I guess that's that.

:x

Time to migrate to Google Sheets, I guess, although I never really had any desire to put this stuff in the cloud.
You can set up a simple Google Sheet with just tickers, prices, change, %change (whatever data you want). Then you can Publish that spreadsheet to the web in CSV format and add a Query to the link to the published spreadsheet in Excel. Then the only thing that is "in the cloud" is a list of tickers and quotes. Your portfolio spreadsheet can remain in Excel saved locally. (Here's a web page explaining it in more detail.)

I set mine up this way today. It works, but there are a few downsides relative to the Yahoo Finance API:

1. Google Finance does not update prices with anywhere near the consistency of Yahoo. Yahoo was 15 minutes delayed, but otherwise up to the second. Google Finance quotes seem variable and erratic.
2. Google Finance does not update mutual fund prices until late in the evening. (Someone in another forum said after 10 PM.) So if I want to look at my spreadsheet in the evening, I have to manually enter mutual fund prices. As of 8:45 PM, Google Finance is still returning yesterday's mutual fund prices.
3. Google Finance doesn't seem to have IV tickers for ETFs (e.g. VSS.IV / ^VSS-IV). I had my spreadsheet set up to provide estimates of intraday portfolio changes for mutual fund shares (based on the average of intraday IV changes and the intraday price changes for the sibling ETFs). I haven't figured out a way to do that yet.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

There's
FiveK wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:39 pm
jhfenton wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:46 pm The admin "Nixon" has since deleted his previous posts that it was being worked on and posted the notice that you quoted above. :oops:
At least Is Yahoo! Finance API broken? - Page 25 - Yahoo Help Community is still there, so there is some hope....
Ah, that one is still there. He closed that thread to new posts, so didn't update it later. The other, newer threads on the topic all got the updated post.

Nixon is now pointing folks to the feedback forum where there is a request to bring it back. If you care about the service, please go there and vote up that request and post a comment: https://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/382977%C2%A0

There's always a chance they eventually bring it back in some form. If they're *really* concerned about abuse of the service (presumably by commercial users), they just need to create user tokens to allow authenticated use of the API. Google does that with some of their APIs to prevent abuse.
DistractedByData

Post by DistractedByData »

I saw the same issue with my stock price downloads today:
Looks like Yahoo turned off the service. :(

Anyway, I found an interesting replacement. The IEX exchange (of "Flashboys" fame) has a free API that allows downloading all sorts of market information, including financials and charting data. Their developer web site has all the details: https://iextrading.com/developer/

This simple URL will retrieve multiple stock symbols, last price, last order size, and a time stamp:
https://api.iextrading.com/1.0/tops/las ... format=csv
(just substitute your own stocks instead of VTI, VXUS, or BND)

On my Mac, I actually have it saved it as a bookmark, and it will download a comma separated value file with the latest price data. When I double click on the file, Excel loads the table and I can copy & paste the price column into my main Excel sheet. IEX has other useful queries, such as this one which retrieves a single stock price suitable for embedding in an Excel sheet (though I haven't tried it myself):
https://api.iextrading.com/1.0/stock/aapl/price

One limitation -- IEX doesn't seem to have any mutual fund tickers, and these are IEX prices. But there is a ton of useful stock data available.
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

This guy shows how to setup a google sheet with the stock quotes you need, then grab the data from excel.

https://www.vertex42.com/ExcelTemplates ... uotes.html

I got it to work. Yay.
Last edited by CaliJim on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
Leif

Post by Leif »

Did anyone notice that the post my admin Nixon, that the feature was discontinued, was made on 5/17/2017?
Nixon
Administratin' 'Hoo Nixon Administratin' 'Hoo ‎05-17-2017 02:59 PM
Re: Is Yahoo! Finance API broken?
Hi All - This feature was discontinued by the Finance team and they will not be reintroducing that functionality.

The Yahoo Finance Feedback Forum is the place where you can make product suggestions and provide feedback. We’re always trying to improve our products and use your feedback to inform changes. Here’s the url: https://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/382977
Nixon's most recent post 11/2/17 (it said posted 13 hours ago.) is:
Hi All - I'm blocking new replies to this thread since it refers to an older outage.

The new download issue which began 11/01/17 and returning an error 999 for most users is currently being investigated and we hope to have it resolved soon.
I'm confused since jhfenton said that notice was deleted? It is not deleted. I just read it. Very confusing right now.
If this does not come back then I hope I can reprogram (using VBA - Visual Basic for Application) my routine to update my security prices.
SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence »

Leif wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pmWhen I tried to go to yahoo.uservoice.com I got an invalid certificate message from my browser. I would hold on for a more official notice.
My firefox v52.4.0 shows a valid cert at that site. Issued by Cloudflare exp next year. The various posts on the internet about discontinuing the download api seem to confirm this latest move. Tonite when I point my browser to
which should give a quote for Apple, it returns
That seems pretty final to me.
(gekko)

Post by (gekko) »

Hello there!!

I use this website to download data automatically too. It is working. You have to register to get a passcode for make the query. When I get time I will post an excel macro to get data from this site.
https://www.alphavantage.co/

I hope this helps.

(gekko)