Portfolio Visualizer - How to add stable value fund?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Doug E. Dee

Portfolio Visualizer - How to add stable value fund?

Post by Doug E. Dee » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:59 pm

Hi All,
Is it possible to somehow add a SVF (no ticker symbol) with a 2% return into Portfolio Visualizer?

Thanks!

Kevin M

Re: Portfolio Visualizer - How to add stable value fund?

Post by Kevin M » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:21 pm

No.

The only phony ticker I know you can add is CASHX for cash.

Kevin
||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:30 pm

I wish PV allowed you to create an asset with specified returns. It would certainly help from a backtesting and MC simulation standpoint.

I have access to TIAA, for instance, and being able to earn a guaranteed 3.25% or 4% would certainly change the outcome of a MC simulation compared to something like TBM.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:55 pm

Kevin M wrote:The only phony ticker I know you can add is CASHX for cash.

You can add anything you want to PV, you just have to be willing to do some work.

willthrill81 wrote:I wish PV allowed you to create an asset with specified returns.

It does.

If you create an account you can upload any data series you want, even a fake one.

So the OP should download the SVF historical data and then upload it to PV.

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:02 pm

AlohaJoe wrote:If you create an account you can upload any data series you want, even a fake one.

Nice to know. I typically work in the opposite direction, and download the data from PV to a spreadsheet, then I can do my own analysis. It is nice to be able to let PV do the work though, and just generate the data series on your own.

Kevin
||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:16 pm

AlohaJoe wrote:
Kevin M wrote:The only phony ticker I know you can add is CASHX for cash.

You can add anything you want to PV, you just have to be willing to do some work.

willthrill81 wrote:I wish PV allowed you to create an asset with specified returns.

It does.

If you create an account you can upload any data series you want, even a fake one.

Thanks much!
:beer
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings