Larry Swedroe says "Goodbye."

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Sandi_k

Re: Larry Swedroe says "Goodby."

Post by Sandi_k » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:34 pm

Thank you, Mr. Swedroe - you've had a profound impact on so many.

Best wishes for a fantastic retirement; my hope is that you will find yourself back here after some time for yourself and your family. You will be missed.

Munir

Re: Larry Swedroe says "Goodbye."

Post by Munir » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:36 am

Is anyone going to correct the word "goodby" in the title by adding an "e" at the end of it?
Last edited by Munir on Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FiveK

Post by FiveK » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:02 am

Munir wrote:Is anyone going to correct the word "goodby" in the title by adding an "e" at the end of it?
According to
It’s Hard To Say Goodbye (and Hard To Spell It, Too), unless one swears by the "Associate [sic] Press Stylebook", "goodby" is acceptable.

Perhaps rare, but then again Bogleheads doesn't espouse conventional wisdom.... ;)

boo-yah

Post by boo-yah » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:18 am

Larry -

Thank you for all you've done to help those on this forum. Even though I rarely post, I peruse bogleheads a great deal and have learned so much from you and others that donate your time and efforts to what is overall one of the nicest and most welcoming forums I've seen on the internet. I swear one of the main reasons I spend so much time here is just to experience that sense of community that is so lacking just about everywhere else. Your earnestness and desire to help and inform shows through so well in your posts - you've left a great legacy here with what you've done, no matter who attacks you.

Best wishes to you and your family, and a sincere thank you.

goingup

Post by goingup » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:30 am

I'm grateful for all the years of posts by Larry. Back in the day, Larry and Rick had spirited debates which were great fun to watch.

I had to stretch to understand Larry's scholarly posts and books but as a result know more about bonds, fat tails, risk and strategy than I would have otherwise. Prolific authors such as Larry, Bill Bernstein, Rick Ferri, Bill Schultheis, Wade Phau and others have spent time on this forum for the benefit of us all. Maybe we should try harder to keep sharp elbows tucked in.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:35 am

Best wishes to Mr. Swedroe in his future endeavors. He fought the good fight.
Don't do something. Just stand there!

Average Investor

Post by Average Investor » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:47 am

Thank you for sharing your vast knowledge Larry. I really learned a lot from reading your posts and articles.
Tomorrow never knows.

Hub

Post by Hub » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:00 pm

I consider Larry's book "The Only Guide to a Winning Investment Strategy You'll Ever Need" my graduate degree in asset allocation and passive index fund investing. It's my favorite book in this genre and it's the one I recommend to people that are worthy of the knowledge.

Thanks Larry for your books and your contributions to this forum!

roymeo

Re: Larry Swedroe says "Goodbye"

Post by roymeo » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:20 pm

Munir wrote:Is anyone going to correct the word "goodby" in the title by adding an "e" at the end of it?
I did, but I guess I got too political in an observation on local events on a statement Larry made. Which I knew was probably out of place on Bogleheads.
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo

freyj6

Post by freyj6 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:34 pm

Thanks for everything Larry!

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:36 pm

Say it ain't so Larry!
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

PaulF

Post by PaulF » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:50 pm

It has all been said already, but I, too, want to convey how helpful your body of work has been to me. Thank you. At least I can reach up from where I am sitting and touch your "Winning Bond Strategy" book! Be well.

Sam2

Post by Sam2 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:20 pm

Larry, thank you for your generosity and for sharing your knowledge with Bogleheads.

Noobvestor

Post by Noobvestor » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:50 pm

Pretty sure my signature line says it all! Thanks for everything, Larry.
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe

ScottW

Post by ScottW » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:43 am

Thanks for all your work over the years. I haven't spent much time on Bogleheads lately, but I got a lot out of your posts (along with those from SmallHi--remember him?--and Rick Ferri) many years ago when I was coming up with an investment strategy. I've read most of your books and own a few.

Although you've decided to stop posting, the one good thing about forums is that existing content doesn't disappear. While you won't be adding anything new, everything you've posted to date will remain available for others to read should they go looking for it, so you'll continue providing advice to others even in your absence.

Take care.

DartThrower

Post by DartThrower » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:35 am

Just wanted to add my name to the list of those saying "thanks". You were one of the main Bogleheads helping us all to steer a steady course during the turbulent times of the past 10 years. In 2008 the risk "showed up" just as you said it could. Being prepared for that risk is invaluable in helping us manage it.

I hope that lots of happiness "shows up" for you in the future.

DT
A Boglehead can stay the course longer than the market can stay irrational. It's impossible to have a bubble in common sense.

fillol

Post by fillol » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:30 pm

You will be missed Larry. Enjoy your retirement. You can take with you the satisfaction that you have unselfishly helped so many people in something so important as how they handle their finances. Not many people can say that. Thank you.

Fillol

camden

Post by camden » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:08 pm

Always enjoyed and learned from Mr. Swedroe's posts. Sad to see him go, but understand his reasons. It is our loss.

Soul.in.Progress

Post by Soul.in.Progress » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:01 pm

Thank you, Mr. Swedroe for all of your contributions to this field. I personally will miss your wisdom on this forum, but I respect your decision.
Start by doing what is necessary; | then do what is possible; | and suddenly you are doing the impossible. | -- Francis of Assisi

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:08 pm

Hi Bogleheads -

First I would like to say "good luck" and "thank you" to Larry for his time and contributions! :sharebeer

Without both Rick Ferri and Larry Swedroe, our forum will be different.

Best.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

larryswedroe

Post by larryswedroe » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:20 pm

I thought I would wait till the thread seemed to have run its course and then thank everyone for taking the time to post their gratitude. It is greatly appreciated and made me feel that all the time spent was worthwhile. And I've gotten dozens of PMs as well.

Please note that I'm still happy to answer questions, as I have done since my "goodbye", but I don't check the board at all so if want to ask either a PM or email to lswedroe@bamadvisor.com.
And you can all continue to follow my musings at
ETF.com where I write every Mon, Wed, and Friday and you can find old articles here http://www.etf.com/sections/index-investor-corner
AdvisorPerspectives.com where I write a piece about once per month
And now alphaarchitect.com where I am writing more technical pieces (note Wes Gray's site IMO is great for the "geeks" and his two books on Quantitative Value and Quantitative Momentum are IMO must reads.

Best wishes
Larry

Oakwood42

Post by Oakwood42 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:27 pm

Thank you Mr. Swedroe for your service to others.

Van

Post by Van » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:28 pm

I'm sorry to learn that you will be leaving us, and I'm even sorrier for your main reason for leaving.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:13 pm

The wiki is updated with Larry's latest musings: Larry Swedroe ("Articles")

The "Articles" section also appears in the wiki's News and blogs feed. While no RSS feeds are available, readers will be able to quickly check for updates to Larry's articles as well as the other blogs.

Remember that members are free to post links to Larry's articles on their own.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

packer16

Post by packer16 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:23 pm

Thanks for the discussion and refining of ideas. Although I am fish out of water here (an active stock picker), I have enjoyed your arguments and rationale and willingness to try something new once in a while. Have a nice retirement hopefully in some place warm.

Packer
Buy cheap and something good might happen

InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:31 pm

Thanks for all of your outstanding contributions here! Best of luck with your new endeavors.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)

Cruncher

Post by Cruncher » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:54 pm

Larry,

Thank you for your contribution to the financial health to so many.

I understand your reasoning for retiring from forums. Enjoy life, it's short enough.

Thanks again! :beer

Cheers,

Cruncher

Tristan

Post by Tristan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:56 pm

Larry, thank you so much for teaching so many of us so much by your posts here, and your many articles and books. I have read many of your books, and all of the more recent ones.

Having practiced evidence based medicine for a long time, I am drawn to evidence based investing and appreciate the way your statements are always linked to publications from the peer reviewed financial literature, except when you are expressing your opinion in which case then always bracketed with IMHO.

I wish you all the best in your coming retirement, and hope that we may see you here again some time in future - we all need hobbies in our retirement.

avecmoi

Post by avecmoi » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:19 pm

Thank you for your many contributions, I've learned plenty from the discussions between you and others on this board. I hope once you have more free time, you can post here now and then. Enjoy your retirement, you've helped many reach the same goal.

vencat

Post by vencat » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:37 pm

By the way, guys, Larry is not retiring. He just got tired of what he considered personal attacks. So he's only 'retiring' from this site.

alloykat

Post by alloykat » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:22 pm

Thanks for all your wisdom.

GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:45 pm

vencat wrote:By the way, guys, Larry is not retiring. He just got tired of what he considered personal attacks. So he's only 'retiring' from this site.
Yeah, but he did say he was "getting near retirement". Depending on how the good wishes for retirement were phrased, some of them may have been premature ("Congratulations on your retirement") and others not ("Enjoy your retirement").

jimmyq

Post by jimmyq » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:49 pm

Larry, thank you very very much. Your insightful posts have helped me more than I can express. I fully understand your decision... but I still don't have to like it. Good luck in your all your future endeavors.

Dieharder

Post by Dieharder » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:45 pm

Larry Swedroe has made many contributions to this community. But to me the most important contribution he made is to teach others how to do the research themselves and arrive at the conclusions themselves. Instead of telling others what to do, he basically sited a lot of research papers and academics in the field, giving others opportunity to look it up themselves and figure out where to find such information. Even to the point where people became smart enough to find the research papers to counter his own arguments. To me this is the single most contribution Larry made. He not only introduced several concepts unknown outside of professional circles, but he also showed how to find the information to do your own analysis.

JayMack

Post by JayMack » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:44 pm

Larry, I lurk more often than I sign in, but this time it's bittersweet. I will miss your posts greatly. You have always been more than generous with your time and your knowledge, and clearly most of us have found your participation extremely edifying. Thank you for the years, and I wish you the best of luck and good health in your coming activities.

aj76er

Post by aj76er » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:02 pm

Thank you Larry.
I've learned a great deal from you and I will greatly miss your posts and insights on this forum.
I wish you the best in your future endeavors.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle

second-guesser

Post by second-guesser » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:07 am

// from Larry -
the willingness, ability, and / or need to take risks. I have attempted
to explain these concepts to others, thanks to Larry's insights, since they
have helped me.

I always appreciated that Larry would report his personal
investment allocation when asked. I think this type of honesty is
rare among investment advisors.

I would guess that most bogleheads were pleased when a post from
Larry would appear because they were always so informative. Larry's posts