Larry Swedroe says "Goodbye."

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
lazyday

Re: Larry Swedroe says "Goodby."

Post by lazyday »

I’ve learned a lot from Larry and wish him well in the path to retirement.

This is one of the friendliest forums I’ve visited. Usually when I see problems, “it takes two to tango” applies. I don’t know all the details of this case, but do think the moderators have done a great job overall on this board.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Thank you Mr Swedroe. I've always enjoyed reading your posts. Good luck to you!
cinghiale

Post by cinghiale »

Since Larry has been such a vital player in the "role of commodities in a portfolio" debate, it might be noted that it takes two to contango as well.

But hopefully no one on the forum will reach so low for such a wretched pun.

I sure won't...
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell
kellyfj

Post by kellyfj »

Thanks Larry for all your help and advice
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

zzcooper123 wrote:Without Larry's advice I would not be retired today. I will thank you every day.
Larry, I hope that this is your takeaway. Good luck. Thanks.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 »

I remember back when I first started posting on internet forums getting deeply hurt by some comment. I appreciate the moderators trying to keep the attacks "moderated." I am sorry to see Larry go, but I can understand wanting to "get a life" and stop spending time giving free advice and having some folks go negative on the advice.
John Bogle: "It's amazing how difficult it is for a man to understand something if he's paid a small fortune not to understand it."
RooseveltG

Post by RooseveltG »

Larry:

I tell anyone who will listen that you are one of my "gurus." Thank you for all your wisdom. I wish you the best in retirement. You will be missed.

Roosevelt.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Thanks for all your help Larry! Re the attacks: it is always a poor reflection of the attacker and has nothing to do with me.
Last edited by tennisplyr on Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Thank you, Mr. Swedroe, for both your posts and books over the years. I've learned much from you.

No good deed goes unpunished. Know that the vast majority never questioned your integrity and best of luck to you and your family.

JT
Emilyjane

Post by Emilyjane »

Thanks for your efforts. Our loss, but enjoy the extra time with your family!
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance", Confucius
ljb1234

Re: Larry Swedroe says "Goodbye."

Post by ljb1234 »

Thank you Larry,

After just finishing your "Black Swans" book, I know that you like to "think different" and I appreciate those kind of people. Always enjoyed your intellectual discourse. Enjoy your pending and future retirement.

regards,
LJB
MrKnight

Post by MrKnight »

Sad to hear but that's the unfortunate fact of life, not just the Internet, in any unstructured environment.

Unfortunately, you can spend your life studying a subject, but then be given as much air time and credibility as someone who spent 30 seconds thinking about it. It doesn't matter how often you prove yourself because there will always be new people saying the same thing.

A similar example that I experience is as a CPA, having to convince other non-accounting MBAs if the merit of accrual accounting, which is a fundamental basis of GAAP and really should not be subject to conversation as much as it is.
Last edited by MrKnight on Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
AtlasShrugged?

Post by AtlasShrugged? »

Mr. Larimore....I have to say in reading the letter you posted, I cannot help but feel a tinge of shame. When an online community makes someone feel so bad that they feel they have to leave, something is very, very wrong.

Perhaps this can be a wake-up call to all of us. Maybe some self-reflection is required. White Coat Investor has this right: How you interact really does matter. And our community is now poorer because Mr. Swedroe has chosen to leave it. I have read some of the response posts to Mr. Swedroe over the last couple of years and I cannot say that I blame him. But this Boglehead community has lost something very special.

Mr. Swedroe: You will be missed. For my part, I have learned greatly reading your books, and your patient responses to my questions. My IPS has been made significantly better by your contributions, and in the coming years, I am pretty sure my sense of gratitude will grow [no, I will not confuse strategy with outcome! :happy ]. You have enriched my understanding of how to invest. For this, I thank you.
“If you don't know, the thing to do is not to get scared, but to learn.”
Artisan

Post by Artisan »

Mr. Swedroe: Thanks for your time and advice.

You provided a service in educating many. Some of your strategies I agreed with, some I did not. Mostly probably because I wasn't able to understand them ;)

Some people will always be unkind or condescending, especially on an internet forum.

What I like about it here is that compared to other forums, people here are kinder, more tolerant and less judgmental. That said recently that has been less so here and I hope that does not continue. I have seen it on other forums and the result is that, over time, the helpful people leave. I hope that is not the case here.

I wish you the best of luck and sincerely hope you enjoy the extra time with your family.
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

Larry,

Thank you for your intellectual insight and priceless help. We seem to be in a "don't confuse me with the facts, I'm right and you are wrong" era, making constructive discourse difficult if not impossible. Thank goodness for great moderators on the BH, but "you can't fix stupid", especially when dealing with those who 'think' they know everything. :oops:

Perhaps in your "golden-years" you can return and post some lessons learned? :beer
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Thanks Larry for all your contributions to our site. You are greatly appreciated for your expertise and willingness to share with a DIY group who will never be clients. I am sorry that a few rude members made unfounded comments and accusations. It is indeed our loss. I will still look forward to your online articles as they are very insightful. You are one of the best! Best regards to you and your family.

John
Bob

Post by Bob »

Larry,

Your participation in this forum has been a HUGE help and great education for so many people, including me. Thank you for all the time and patience you have spent with us. It has been truly appreciated and it has benefited so many people. We are lucky to have had the opportunity to interact with you on this forum.

Wishing you all the best,
Bob
Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 »

I was always appalled at those personal attacks I read after you would post. To think that you would invest 15 hours of your time each week to educate us for free is admirable and for one I appreciated your contribution. I wish there was a solution other than you to leave, it would be better to ban people being jerks but we are still in the wild west era of the internet.

I have some suggestions, 1) make your post and do not read the responses or 2) have one of us post a link to a while paper or personal blog or 3) have a friend/apprentice/family member willing to read thru the responses and only give you the ones worthy of your consideration for further comment. I know if I was your neighbor I could take an hour a day to do this for you and then we could have a beer.
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging
Quick

Post by Quick »

Larry, very sorry to hear this. I made a point to read a reply anytime I saw your name behind it. I've learned so much from your posts (and books) over the past 5 years.

Be well! You will be missed. Also -- Thank you!
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Larry,

Sorry to see you go. Your posts are always enlightening, even to those of us (well, me at least) who have been a little thick in getting the point! I think I finally understand the difference between factors and factor exposure!

Thank you for your contributions.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

I don't blame Larry, and I wish him the best. There are lots of smart and helpful people here, and there is the equivalent of gorillas sniffing each other. This is why I went down the path of math/science/technology versus business or the law. It doesn't have to get personal when you solve an equation and arrive at a very defensible answer. Motives shouldn't matter, just facts. Still, there is a tactful way to indicate to your colleague that they may have been mistaken in some of their assumptions and initial conditions. On the Internet, however, all bets are off. Why would anyone want to put up with the abuse?
Gauntlet

Post by Gauntlet »

Larry, I would like to add another huge thank you. The academic approach to investing you brought to this forum was always informative. You changed the way I thought about fixed-income for the better. You will be missed but fortunately for me, I read your books.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

Looks like I will be one of the first dissenters here. I stopped clicking on any of his threads quite a while ago. In my view, the threads often had a predictable progression.

A. I wrote this, you should read it
B. Someone reads it, dissects it and makes some counter points
C. Larry restates his position, saying, read what I wrote, I am right
D. More dissection
E. More restatement
F. My interest gone

Surely that is a narrow view, but that is how it went for a few threads for me and I lost interest. As someone mentioned up thread, the self promotion was tiresome.

As with other members who have left, we will get over it. Larry had good knowledge and was very helpful. But he is not the only one. Hope he enjoys his retirement, he's worked hard for it.
STINGRAY75

Post by STINGRAY75 »

While I've only been here a little over a year, It was information posted by a few including Mr Swedroe that hooked me. Hoping after the passage of a little time, you'll find it palatable to occasionally seed us with a few lines of wisdom. Family & retirement first of course.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Larry has been perhaps the greatest single influence on my investment strategy along with other giants like Bogle and Bernstein.

I owe him a debt that I can never repay and it pains me that this good man feels slighted by those without the capacity to appreciate the goodwill he has brought us all.

His mantras on the need, ability and willingness to take on additional risk and the marginal utility of wealth have done more to put investing in perspective for me than any other book or treatise on investing.

His departure from this site will leave a big hole and he will be eternally appreciated by me for all he has contributed.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

We've lost one of our "gems". He will be missed, his posts were insightful and thought provoking as we've seen throughout the years.
Enjoy your retirement Larry!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

I have not always agreed with Mr. Swedroe's views or posts, but do appreciate the kindness of someone of his stature coming on and not just posting, "Hey read this what I wrote", but answers questions on or off point to that post (many times heated ones). You don't see many folks as well known as him answering simple to complex questions to a bunch of folks he will likely never get as client. That shows he is willing to help the common Joe and not just interested in making money (at least not direct).

More importantly, I wish him good luck wrapping down his professional life to spend more time with family and am only surprised he did not do it earlier. Just curious how this will affect the stewardship at his investment firm?

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Thank you, Larry.

Please pm our moderator for any new forthcoming book.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

Larry,

Thanks for all your posts and your review of my book. What Wall Street Doesn't Want you to Know, was one of my first books I read that opened my eyes to how Wall Street works.

I am saddened and surprised that your experience happens on this site. The M* forums are so much worse. Little ole me, a nobody, gets attacked by the "active management" aficionados on M* because I support a simple low-cost index portfolio with Vanguard and TIAA.

Good luck, and happy retirement.
Steve
Last edited by sschullo on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
260chrisb

Re: Larry Swedroe says "Goodbye."

Post by 260chrisb »

Thank you Larry for everything. You will be greatly missed on this forum.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

stemikger wrote:You are a class act Larry.

Thank you for all your advice.
+1 - That about sums it up! Well said.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

Many thanks to Mr. Swedroe for his contributions to the forum. I've not always understood everything he posted - definitely my fault, not his - but what I have understood and implemented in my portfolio has been extremely beneficial.

Thanks again and best of luck with future endeavors.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. Die anyway. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
nova1968

Post by nova1968 »

Whenever there are large groups of people there will be criticism, It goes with the territory regardless of the function.
I found Larrys contributions to be very informative and intellectually challenging.
I wish Larry the best
T-Wrench

Post by T-Wrench »

Thank you for all your contributions to the board, Mr. Swedroe.

I learned a lot from your book on alternative investments and was excited to see your name on the board. Thanks for all your advice.

I hope you enjoy your retirement and your kids- kids don't keep.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Larry.... with four of your books on my shelf I am simply grateful for the time you have spent helping us make more intelligent investment decisions. I am into my sixth year retired now and my standard of retired life has been helped immeasurably by your posts and books. While I selfishly hope you thicken your skin and stay with us, at least for awhile, I certainly understand your desire to spend more time with those who really count and have nothing but love to return.

God Bless and THANKS.
bigred77

Post by bigred77 »

Very sorry to hear this become official.

I hope Larry reconsiders in the future.
MariaT

Post by MariaT »

I am saddened by Larry's departure from the forum. I have read most of his books. His advice and contributions to this board have helped me a lot in positioning our retirement portfolio for the better.

Larry, you will be missed. Good Luck!

Warm regards,
Maria
CWRadio

Post by CWRadio »

Thanks Larry for all your help with my retirement concerns.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Saddened to read this, ....knowledgeable contributor, duh! :D ...will be missed. Thank you for your contributions, Larry.
ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone »

Silverado wrote:Looks like I will be one of the first dissenters here. I stopped clicking on any of his threads quite a while ago. In my view, the threads often had a predictable progression.

A. I wrote this, you should read it
B. Someone reads it, dissects it and makes some counter points
C. Larry restates his position, saying, read what I wrote, I am right
D. More dissection
E. More restatement
F. My interest gone

Surely that is a narrow view, but that is how it went for a few threads for me and I lost interest. As someone mentioned up thread, the self promotion was tiresome.

As with other members who have left, we will get over it. Larry had good knowledge and was very helpful. But he is not the only one. Hope he enjoys his retirement, he's worked hard for it.
I probably read about 5-10% of the posts on the board because most don't interest me. Personally, I don't feel the need to let everyone know about the ones I don't like. This post is confirmation of why this current thread exists.
jazman12

Post by jazman12 »

I wish I had one-tenth the passion you had for helping others achieve FI
Thank you for helping me achieve mine
good-bye
Act soon... time is running out
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

I always read Larry's posts, and learned (or tried to learn) from them. Larry, you'll be missed. Thank you for your years of service to this community.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
azanon

Post by azanon »

As someone who participates on a variety of forums with wide ranging topics, I can say that by comparison, this forum is very tightly moderated (not a criticism, just an observation). I'd be surprised if someone could even find a post with a personal attack that isn't already deleted, and also the offender getting dinged for it. Even if Larry wouldn't report a personal attack, I have no doubt someone else would.

That said, hate to see you go Larry.
betablocker

Post by betablocker »

There aren't many people who are telling you the truth in investing and Larry is one of them. On top of that many investors seem to stop learning over time. There really isn't anyone else who is contintuously translating the academic research and combining it with real world tools and then explaining it to every day investors. That's Larry mission (at least as I see it) and I hope he continues with it. I think he could have an even larger impact than he has had especially in a time of rapid product innovation. I will also miss him explaining to the 1000th person that dividends don't matter but I can see how that gets old. Maybe he can take 3-5 of those additional hours and write more books. Thanks, Larry!
Rexindex

Post by Rexindex »

First off, thank you Larry Swedroe. As a purchaser of your books and reader of your works, I am very very grateful.

I think the Boglehead community is wonderful and I have benefited from it and am appreciative. But I think there is a lesson here that not all people not retired like Larry who give of their time here are trying to capitalize financially. At times I think there is a cynicism on anyone who is "Paid" by giving financial advice that is not fair.

The fact that someone like Larry would not feel appreciated for all he has done gratis should cause some concern.

Just my .02
“Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity.” | — Simone Weil
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

In the past, I have personally sent Mr. Swedroe PMs asking how to implement various portfolio strategies and which funds were in his opinion the best to do so. He very generously spent time answering my questions knowing full well that he wasn't going to make a dime giving me his wisdom.

There was absolutely no self promotion in anything he did on this board. He referenced articles that he had written and then discussed them with the membership ... a tremendous opportunity for intellectual give and take. They really are only just a few truly knowledgeable people that post on Bogleheads ... Mr. Swedroe was the best of the lot by far.

Those that attacked him personally did so in my opinion only for their fault of intellect, arguments, and debate capacity. The mediocre have triumphed.
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

Thanks Larry.

It is one thing for me to come here and provide a little slice of advice on this or that, but the blog posts that you write are nice coherent good advice, which fairly address multiple issues around a topic in just two pages or so. I can imagine that some of our comments sounded like drunken speed readers who remembered one point incorrectly after you spent hours honing the wording. I'm afraid it is the nature of boards like this to focus in on one or two points and express views. Enjoy your change of pace and focus.
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

azanon wrote:

I'd be surprised if someone could even find a post with a personal attack that isn't already deleted, and also the offender getting dinged for it.
Pretty much. "Personal attack" in this case appears to mean accusation of self-promotion. Whether it is self-promotion to link to articles you have written and plug books you have authored, whether the frequency with which one might do these things is simply a function of the number of posts made and how prolific a writer one is, whether motivation and intent matters, and whether forum policy is uniformly applied to deal with such questions, I don't know. I can't fault members for wondering though. Just look at how many BHs have talked about buying his books in this thread alone!
Quod vitae sectabor iter?
Phil DeMuth

Post by Phil DeMuth »

But wait -- if you stop posting where am I going to get my ideas from???

Thank you for your service. I read every one of your posts and learned everything I could.

Appreciatively,

Phil
Tyrobi

Post by Tyrobi »

Thanks Larry for your excellent contribution!

You're one of the respected posters on this forum.
Last edited by Tyrobi on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Three-fund portfolio | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." John C. Bogle