Larry Swedroe says "Goodbye."

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Hukedonfonix4me

Re: Larry Swedroe says "Goodby."

Post by Hukedonfonix4me » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:13 pm

Thank you Larry for all of your contributions to this site. I have enjoyed reading your insightful perspective and will miss the knowledge and immense experience you have brought to all.

However, that being said: ENJOY RETIREMENT. I hope you make many beautiful memories with your family :beer
"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference." | -The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

Malinois000

Post by Malinois000 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:25 pm

Thanks, Larry!!! Best.

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:37 pm

I haven't ever communicated directly with Larry, and I haven't been a member that long, but have read many of his thorough and detailed posts/articles. If you're reading this Larry, I will be very sad to see you go, and want to thank you for all your contributions, which have been immensely helpful to me personally. You will be missed. :moneybag

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:44 pm

Enjoyed your threads and I wish you well on retirement. I think I speak for the majority when I say that I wish you wouldn't let a couple of trolls run you off, and I hope you consider coming back.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

Tim Bachmann

Post by Tim Bachmann » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:47 pm

Needless to say, BH'ers will miss his contributions greatly. On one hand, I wish he'd reconsider - he's one of the reasons that I visit the message board. You would have to pay a lot of money for the level of advice he provides for free. On the other hand, he has done enough through his books, seminars, podcasts that he appears on, articles that he has written, and the time he takes to interact on a message board for no personal benefit except for knowing that he is positively affecting other people's lives. I hope he enjoys his retirement and spends quality time with his family. He has done enough and then some for DIY investors as well as those who use an advisory service.

Thanks, Larry, for all that you have done.

Tim

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:49 pm

[gets to read own eulogy]

No one will see this since I'm 200 deep in the receiving line here. I challenged Larry on two occasions, and in neither instance did I know he was BH royalty. (I've only seen a few dozen posts from him in my BH lifetime.)

The first time was when I stumbled across a post where he advocated that small investors buy individual bonds, and I commented on the awful lack of transparency in mark-up/sales price on the secondary market for small and odd lots, and on the cozy relationship between advisors and their bond desks. For BH who chase a couple basis points all over town, giving up a percent on every bond transaction is a huge deal -- and a big money-maker for industry insiders -- that gets surprisingly little attention here.

The second time was when he linked to his own series of industry-newsletter articles touting the outstanding (and better-than-index) 15-year returns of Janus and American Funds. Although that's reason enough for BH suspicion, I worried that a carefully selected 15-year window accounted for much of the delta. However, after running my own numbers, I came to agree with Larry's assessment, and publicly apologized for doubting him.

I have not witnessed the constant attacks but maybe this is what they are. To me, this is a little like road rage. We're all on the receiving end from time to time. But if you're constantly the victim of road rage, maybe it's not only a reflection of society's brutish deterioration.

Best of luck, Larry.

apex84

Thank you

Post by apex84 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:59 pm

Thank you for posting all of these years and please enjoy your time with your family.

209south

Post by 209south » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:02 pm

When I first joined Bogleheads I was well-versed on the merits of maximizing diversification and minimizing transactions costs (eg. via Vanguard mutual funds), and I wasn't sure I had much to learn. Boy, was I wrong! After years of reading countless posts on this forum, the two issues/philosophies that have impacted my actions most directly are (1) the issues faced by retirees (i.e. sequence of returns risk and the risk of outliving one's financial resources) (Wade Pfau and others), leading me to build a TIPs ladder and begin laddering deferred income annuities; and (2) the risk/return trade-offs leading me to adopt my personalized version of The Larry Portfolio. I sleep far better at night and feel a great debt to Larry Swedroe for the public service he provided to all of us - it is sad that he is gone, and similarly unfortunate that other experts (Pfau, Ferri, etc.) have absented themselves from this forum. We are all worse off with their departures, and those who chased him (them?) away should be ashamed.

Makaveli

Post by Makaveli » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:05 pm

From someone who PM'd Larry and asked for a 10-15 minute phone call, which was accepted... Much respect Larry. Enjoy the golden years.

columbia

Post by columbia » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:32 pm

I don't know my head from a bad investment idea, but anyone who prompted Mr. Swedroe to stop posting should be ashamed.

larryswedroe

Post by larryswedroe » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:34 pm

To the Boglehead community

I had no intention of looking any further at the site, but Taylor sent me PM letting me know about all the comments so I wanted to first thank all those for taking the time to let me know how much they appreciated the efforts over the years. I've also gotten dozens of PMs to the same effect and responded to them all, as I always do. Those messages mean a lot and show that the time I spent was more than worthwhile and I'm glad I've been able to help so many people.

With that said, I'm sorry but while nothing is certain in this world I seriously doubt that I'll return, and have even removed the site from my favorites in the tool bar so I'm not "tempted" to check in. Unfortunately as I told Taylor a few can spoil the good for the many. But that's the nature of the internet and sadly I'm afraid a sign of times in our society where college students shout down anyone who doesn't happen to agree with their views. That never used to happen.

For those interested you can still follow my musings at three places, etf.com, every Mon, Wed, Friday, advisorperspectives.com about once a month, and now alphaarchitect, for more technical articles. So perhaps some of the Bogleheads can watch for them and post the links here. Or you can set up a google alert on larry swedroe.

And I'm always happy to answer PMs and emails, as I have always done and one can always post the response to the site if they like. So happy to keep helping and giving back. I've learned a lot by being forced to defend positions and have always been happy to debate the facts. Thanks again for all those posts of support. They made the effort worthwhile.

Best wishes
Larry Swedroe

dn123

Post by dn123 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:44 pm

Well this is a damn shame. Thanks for all your contributions to this site. You will be sorely missed by the masses of BH's and have immensely helped everyone here.

pondering

Post by pondering » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:46 pm

This is what I posted in a group I co-admin about comments:

While we allow positive and negative comments to be made about the content of the show, the same is not true for comments made about other group members, which should have a positive energy about them.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

Misenplace

Post by Misenplace » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:12 pm

Larry, you are one of my heroes in the retirement and investing world. Your generous contributions are legend. I for one have enjoyed, and cite to, your evidence-based approach to investing. Thanks Larry.
Kind regards,
Misenplace

Young Fellow

Post by Young Fellow » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:36 pm

Thank you Mr. LARRY SWEDROE for your service to this forum,
Regards

asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:14 am

I'll add my voice to those sorry to see Larry go. I almost always got something new and interesting from his posts. Thank you, good luck and God speed in future endeavors, Larry Swedroe.
Regards, | | Guy

pannkake

Post by pannkake » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:22 am

Thanks, Larry, for all of your contributions to this forum. It's appreciated.

Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:41 am

Thank you for giving back through countless hours of posting a treasure trove of information here on Bogleheads. Your posts here will be greatly missed.

Wishing you a happy, healthy upcoming retirement :sharebeer

Bogle1998

Post by Bogle1998 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:21 am

This is very sad indeed - Larry's books and frquent posts on this site have been a source for my investing knowledge for many years - a heartfelt thanks Mr Swedroe !

quantumFlamethrower

Post by quantumFlamethrower » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:46 am

Thank you Larry!

Rotsevni

Post by Rotsevni » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:25 am

Thank you Larry, I enjoyed reading your posts

camaro327

Post by camaro327 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:37 am

Thank you for your contributions. Great insights over the years.

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:43 am

Thanks Larry for all the books, you have written. I have read most of your books, easy and simple to make decisions, based on your insights.

matjen

Post by matjen » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:55 am

Larry it has been a pleasure interacting with you on this forum. I have learned a ton and consider you one of the few great influences in my investment life. As another poster said, you are on my Mt. Rushmore. Thank you for all your efforts.

The other thing I would like to point out is the large amount of single and double digit posters who have come out of the woodwork to say thank you. A true tribute to your kindness and influence. Well done sir! :sharebeer

Matjen
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:05 am

I'm still keeping my location as

"Two left turns from Larry"
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.

gundlached

Post by gundlached » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:19 am

:oops:
Thanks, Larry.

dkdoy

Post by dkdoy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:49 am

Always appreciated your views and insight, over the years I tried to read just about everything you would post on the forum. That along with the first rate investment books that you have published have helped my financial life immeasurably. I thank you!

c.Alvin

Post by c.Alvin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:52 am

I appreciate Larry's many high quality posts over the years. Fortunately, his past posts are preserved in the archives. This is a great loss for the Bogleheads.

c.Alvin

crit

Post by crit » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:26 am

larryswedroe wrote:Unfortunately as I told Taylor a few can spoil the good for the many. But that's the nature of the internet and sadly I'm afraid a sign of times in our society where college students shout down anyone who doesn't happen to agree with their views. That never used to happen.

Hi Larry,

I'm going to be presumptuous enough to respond to this. Please forgive me if I'm overstepping.

I've been plugged into the internet since message boards on usenet, and boy, was that ever the old west of, well, incivility. Anonymity has enabled shouting and worse since a long, long time. I'm not disagreeing that good-faith discourse and agreement on basic facts has slid in the last few years, or even just months; but it's not new, it's just in different places and ways.

My perspective on internet fora and fauna have evolved a great deal over the years. Part, I'm sure, is simply along with my own evolution. But the biggest shift to me is what I want out of the experience: it's much less about getting things or the right reactions from other people, and more about refining myself into who I want to be. Refining my own ideas as I type them, fine-tuning my writing and communication skills as I try to make a point as clearly as I can. In the meantime, I learn things here and there, new perspectives and ideas, and give back where I can, as I find that worthwhile. But what I want out of it has changed.

These days I mainly appreciate well-moderated forums (metafilter, this one), but also a few specific-interest/activity fora that aren't as moderated. And even now, my engagement level comes and goes. Sometimes it's worthwhile, and sometimes not.

What I wanted to relay to you is: let it evolve, and maybe you'll find a different type or aspect of worthwhile from it sometime. But I hate to hear of someone leaving for, essentially, painful reasons. I hope it does evolve past that for you.

And thank you, for being such a big part of this community. Despite the occasional snark here, I'm really truly impressed with the level of conversation here, which more importantly enables a depth of honesty from people about probably one of the most private parts of their lives. We all learn from each other's detailed experience and expertise, and that wouldn't have come about but for people like you.

Best wishes.

devans0

Post by devans0 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:47 am

I have read your books and they have a valued place in my library. I am FI in good part from what I have gleaned from your insights and the fruits of your research. Thank you for your tireless efforts. I will mention that your detractors are part of the reason I bought each and every one of your books. Those detractors reminded me to not be a freeloader and pay you for your work. I really question whether your detractors understand capitalism, and wonder what they are doing in an investment forum. They simply don't understand the most basic idea of what investing and capitalism is about. TANSTAFL. That I made and continue to make far more from what I leaned than what I paid needs to be mentioned, too. Thank you again.

I wish you the best retirement. You've certainly earned it.

Castanea_d.

Post by Castanea_d. » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:32 am

Larry, all good wishes. As hundreds of others have said here, I have learned much from you, and I am grateful for the time and energy you have put into BH when there is no direct benefit from it.

I hope that you can carry with you the knowledge that you have helped hundreds, probably thousands of people in ways large and small. This is not a small thing.

Someone

Post by Someone » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:59 am

Hi,

I read the forum often, but I've only posted a few times. I wanted to thank you Larry for your posts and insights. I've learned a lot from them, even while I never commented in any of your threads. I'm sorry to hear that due to personal attacks you'll be leaving the site.

Wish you good luck in your new journey and hope that eventually you reconsider it and decide to return back.

nyblitz

Post by nyblitz » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:32 pm

Thank you for your help, Larry.

Many of your books are on my bookshelf and I've gone back to re-read sections dozens of times (especially "The Only Guide...You'll Ever Need" series).

Your contributions on this site will be missed.

All the best with your family and future endeavors.

And of course, the vast majority here would be pleased should you change your mind and return.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:08 pm

Frankly I haven't read many of Larry's threads, although I read and enjoy some of his books. I "grew up" with the rough-and-tumble world of usenet, so most of what I see on this forum is so mild that I have trouble imagining interactions being so bad that you have to leave. But that's not my call.

I wonder if the people that noted all these unpleasant comments have been reporting them to the moderators? If not, why not? If so, have the moderators being failing to follow up?
This week's fortune cookie: "The stock market may be your ticket to success." I sure hope so!

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:22 pm

Thanks Larry, for your service to the forum, attempting to educate those of us who were willing to listen.

The vast, vast majority of members of this forum have appreciated your efforts. I've read most of your books, and many of your posts
here and the various places your articles pop up.

Any increased time with family trumps just about any activity I can think of, so enjoy your time with family. :sharebeer

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Gort

Post by Gort » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:24 pm

Thank you Larry for all your unselfish contributions to this board. Although I am an average investor without the great technical skill and knowledge that you have, I learned much from your writings. You helped me understand that my simple and easy to manage index portfolio was the best for my needs and indeed you helped me get to the point that now I can retire comfortably in three months!!! Again, thank you for your help!
Last edited by Gort on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Timmay!

Post by Timmay! » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:32 pm

Thank you Larry!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:38 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:...I wonder if the people that noted all these unpleasant comments have been reporting them to the moderators? If not, why not? If so, have the moderators being failing to follow up?

While the moderators do try to read every post, we depend on members for filling in the gaps.

There's a lot of "behind-the-scenes" work we do to address those reported posts. All reported posts are taken care of. Period.

See: Forum policies "6. Administrative Policies"
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Lieutenant.Columbo

Post by Lieutenant.Columbo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:43 pm

larryswedroe wrote:... I've learned a lot by being forced to defend positions and have always been happy to debate the facts. Thanks again for all those posts of support. They made the effort worthwhile...
Larry,

I'm sad to see you leave the forum. In my opinion, your contribution to BH has been priceless. I never felt like you had a personal agenda. Just the opposite: to me you always came across as sincerely convinced by the arguments you tirelessly defended. Many of us are really going to miss you, but we also understand and respect your decision.

I'm very glad to hear you say you consider your time and effort in the forum worthwhile to you. It definitely was worthwhile to most of us.

Adios Larry.

JL
Last edited by Lieutenant.Columbo on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lt. Columbo: Well, what do you know. Here I am talking with some of the smartest people in the world, and I didn't even notice!

stupidkid

Post by stupidkid » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:45 pm

+however many positive comments there have been.

There are a few posters that I have learned a lot from on bogleheads, and always find their posts insightful and informative: Taylor, Larry, Mel, Livesoft, Nsipirius to name just a few. Thank you for all your contributions.

saltycaper

Post by saltycaper » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:48 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
I wonder if the people that noted all these unpleasant comments have been reporting them to the moderators? If not, why not? If so, have the moderators being failing to follow up?

I wouldn't make much of it. This idea that there's a huge number of outstanding posts (heck, even counting the deleted ones) that violated forum rules and drove Larry to leave seems to have taken on a life of its own. This is a congenial thank you and goodbye thread, so any indications of what occurred are likely to be one-sided.
"I guess I should warn you, if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said." --Alan Greenspan

dharrythomas

Post by dharrythomas » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:57 pm

Larry,

Thank you for all you've contributed and for what I've been able to learn from you.

Sorry that you were personally attacked.

Good luck and God Bless. Thanks again.

Harry

patrick013

Post by patrick013 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:39 pm

There are so many books and so little time......

I was able to read Larry's Investing in Bonds book. I think
my library would be incomplete without it. Mucho thanks.
age in bonds, buy-and-hold, 10 year business cycle

edge

Post by edge » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:57 pm

A shame.

But frankly the model of named/identified resources having conversations with anonymous stone throwers is never sustainable.

timmy

Post by timmy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:38 pm

I enjoy his writing, so if this frees up more time for writing, then great. If it frees up time for enjoying life, then God bless.

Larry - Thanks for all your value added content over the years.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:18 pm

You will be missed, as is Rick Ferri.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

patriciamgr2

Post by patriciamgr2 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:40 pm

The post to which I was responding seems to have been deleted. I'll repost my response if his resurfaces.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:15 pm

Larry,

Thank you for your time and books. My largest incremental refinements (plural, multiple topics) in investor knowledge are due to you.

Your bond book helped me put the final touches on my (much larger) taxable investments. Your alternative investments book and forum/internet thoughts on momentum helped me set up a play money strategy for my (smaller orphaned) rIRA. (A guy's gotta have some fun.)

Your retirement and estate planning book is on my reading list. I'm certain it will be as insightful and easy to read/understand as your others.

Best wishes.

/r
David
Last edited by dratkinson on Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

david99

Post by david99 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:33 pm

Larry,
Thanks for all your help. I greatly appreciated your advice and time spent on this site. Looking forward to reading your articles and books.

Zhen

Post by Zhen » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:00 pm

Larry,

Thank you so much for your generosity, spending time sharing your knowledge and answering questions. Best you all the best!

Zhen