Larry Swedroe says "Goodbye."

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
alpenglow

Re: Larry Swedroe says "Goodby."

Post by alpenglow » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:31 pm

Honestly, I give Larry a lot of credit for staying around as long as he has. I wouldn't have been as patient!

Thank you Larry for all you've contributed. I've learned a lot from you!

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:47 pm

A sad day for the forum but just think of the 100,000s that have benefited from his advice. That is priceless. I have always followed the links to his columns, read them and thought "what good advice, that sounds exactly right, this is one of those really smart and insightful guys". I hope to be able to continue to experience that for years to come. Thanks for the road directions to Dublin, Larry!
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

Leif

Post by Leif » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:54 pm

Very, very sorry to hear this. I credit Larry, his books and on-line postings, with shaping my knowledge on investing and my portfolio. I've read many of this books and find them excellent.

Good luck Larry. The best of luck in retirement!
Investors should diversify across many asset-classes so that whatever happens, we will not have all our investments in underperforming asset classes and thereby fail to meet our goals-Taylor Larimore

Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:05 pm

This is a significant loss for the forum. Fortunately, there are so many posts left behind that we can reread them from time to time. That kind of knowledge is timeless. And there are the books as well. He'll be missed very much.

Dinosaur Dad

Post by Dinosaur Dad » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:09 pm

Mr. Swedroe has been a generous and helpful poster. Thank you sir...know that sharing your financial knowledge and literacy makes a huge difference to people like me - and that translates to a better ability to take care of my family and others I can help.

Dismayed that some spoil this great opportunity via negative posts. You can disagree with ideas, but a personal attack just hurts all of us who are trying to learn.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:17 pm

Larry,

Thanks for the great articles you have written. I have learned a large part of my investing from your articles and 2 books; "The Quest for Alpha" and "The Successful Investor Today".

I understand your reasons for not posting and would state you have been more patient than most.

Good luck in your retirement,

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

Morse Code

Post by Morse Code » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:20 pm

Because I don't come here everyday or even every month, I'm one of the posters that would ask a question from time to time that was probably addressed by Larry a thousand times. I was always surprised and delighted when he would respond anyway. Larry is one of the experts I have trusted the most through the years and I have adopted many of his concepts into my investment plan. One thing he drummed into me that has helped me "stay the course" is to never confuse outcome with strategy.
Livin' the dream

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:23 pm

Thank you Larry!

puravida

Post by puravida » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:33 pm

I agree with all the warm and appreciative responses here. I've learned so much from this forum, and from you in particular, enjoyed your book as well. Sorry to see you go but understand. Enjoy your upcoming retirement. In just 4 months of retirement, my stress level is down 100%, feeling great, enjoying life more fully. I wish you the same! Thanks again.
Simple, passive, effective - the Bogle way...

dkturner

Post by dkturner » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:41 pm

I'll very much miss reading Larry's informative postings on this website. I have been following Larry's comments since at least 1998 and owe much of our success to buying into the Fama/French factor theories Larry articulated so well over the years.

Thanks again, Larry for all of the help you have provided over the years.

techrover

Post by techrover » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:44 pm

I will join others in thanking Larry for his expert insights - it has made a huge difference to how we think and plan finances. Wishing Larry a great retirement time...

I have come to know bh as one of the few sites to get quality feedback not just about finance, but about other topics as well. And it has all been due to contributors like Larry who believe in giving back.

Very sad to hear about the reason behind the departure. I hope this serves as lesson for community - so we do not loose other experts.

Johnnyappleseed

Post by Johnnyappleseed » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:55 pm

I've been a member since 2009 and was a lurker before I became a member. I've made a total of 3 posts in all of that time (now 4). Yet reading posts on these forums every week has given me a wealth of knowledge. If I can retain 1/10 the knowledge I've gained through reading the posts of Larry Swedroe, Taylor Larimore, Rick Ferri, Mel Lindauer, & Jim Dahle I will literally be a much richer person when I retire.

In 2006 I was 32 years old, recently had gotten out of the military, was divorced, had a recent bankruptcy, and any unplanned cost was difficult to meet.

Net Worth Milestones
2006: $-39k
2009: $0
2011: $50k
2014: $150k
2017: $240k

Larry's reason for leaving is totally reasonable, I wish him the best, & thank him for all he has done for me.

PS A fun little bit of information... I still reach these forums by gong to diehards.org

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:59 pm

I too have always enjoyed Larry's informative, insightful and thought provoking posts. Bogleheads will be less without them.

I can only hope that Larry will take a break and then decide to come back and participate at a level that he is more comfortable with and ignoring the "noise." I know that all of us would benefit.

Thanks Larry for all of your valuable contributions over the years.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

blevine

Post by blevine » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:12 pm

I have to say, a few bad apples can easily spoil the barrel.
I have had a couple of persons post very snarky responses to posts, and it has absolutely caused me to take a break from this site.
It is truly a small number of persons, and the ability to block posters would be a benefit.
There are at least a couple whose responses and posts I completely ignore, one of whom I think was banned (certainly no longer posting).

ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:15 pm

Aww, Larry. :(

You're one of the posters I instantly recognize and give credibility, so it's sad to see you leave. Thanks for everything.

Day9

Post by Day9 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:38 pm

It is despicable to accuse someone of deceptively promoting an investment product or technique purely for self-interest and immediately follow by asking for their help and advice. I hope the person or people who did that reflect on themselves.
I'm just a fan of the person I got my user name from

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:18 pm

I removed an off-topic post. Please remain on-topic to Larry's departure and avoid personal attacks on other members.

Refer to the forum policies.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:23 pm

Dottie57 wrote:Is there a way to search for Larry's posts? I am relatively new here and would love to be able to do so.

There are two ways. The first way requires you to be logged in, as you only need to click on the member's username on the post. Then, "Search user’s posts".

The second way is to go to the forum's built-in search engine, the "gear" icon in the top-right corner of the page. Search

Then,
Search for author: larryswedroe (copy as shown)
Return first: select "All available" <-- Tip: This will include a full copy of the post in the results.
"Search"

- Search results
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Index Fan

Post by Index Fan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:30 pm

I'll miss you, Larry. Thanks for your help over the years. I leaned a lot from you.
"Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis." | -Seneca

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:45 pm

Munir wrote:Larry, your contributions were always thought-provoking and leading to great dialogues and discussions. I regret the personal attacks from petty-minded people. Civility, as exemplified by our founder Taylor Larimore, has always been a cornerstone of discussions in this forum. If I become hot-headed about a rude post and getting ready to lash out, I ask myself "how would Taylor respond"? That usually brings me back to my senses. Thank you and best wishes in your future pursuits.

These are precisely my sentiments. Larry, I sincerely hope you reconsider your decision.

I read the offending thread. It was unnecessarily heated about a unique investment product.

Larry, I have followed your helpful posts since the Diehard days. You are one of the gems of this forum.

Here is a very nice thread from two years ago about how much you mean to the Bogleheads:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=180334 - A little about Larry S.

AllieTB1323

Post by AllieTB1323 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:50 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:I too have always enjoyed Larry's informative, insightful and thought provoking posts. Bogleheads will be less without them.

I can only hope that Larry will take a break and then decide to come back and participate at a level that he is more comfortable with and ignoring the "noise." I know that all of us would benefit.

Thanks Larry for all of your valuable contributions over the years.

Big Plus 1.

You will be missed.

carolc

Post by carolc » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:51 pm

Thank you, Larry, for the posts as well as your books I've read. Valuable information (even though I didn't understand all of it! :wink: )

carolc

grap0013

Post by grap0013 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:53 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:Larry Swedroe: As to my departure, I'm afraid for a variety of reasons this is highly likely to be permanent.

So you're saying there's a chance...
There are no guarantees, only probabilities.

elgob.bogle

Post by elgob.bogle » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:04 pm

This is sad day for all of us! Larry, if you are reading this thread, just want you to know that I have more of your books in my library than those of any other financial author.

ellgob

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:06 pm

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
...I might be just beginning | I might be near the end. Enya | | C'est la vie

Robert T

Post by Robert T » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:19 pm

I am a better investor from having read Larry Swedroe’s posts (both at vanguard diehards, in the earlier days; and at bogleheads).

His contributions have been immense – both in volume and substance. Much appreciated and needed in a time when individuals increasingly need to take responsibility for financing their own retirement (with the decline of defined benefit pension plans etc).

Some advisors take pot shots at DIY investors, focusing on failures, as what seems to be a way to try to get more business. In contrast, Larry rolls up his sleeves and tries to help.

Larry, thanks for all your contributions.

wander

Post by wander » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:00 pm

That's sad. I learned from Mr. Larry Swedroe's posts a lot although I never responded to his posts. All I can say is thank you for sharing your knowledge/wisdom to an amateur like myself.

mur44

Post by mur44 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:08 pm

I have read most of Larry Swedroe's books and posts
over the last 12+ years. I benefited greatly from
his posts.

Thank you Larry. Will miss your posts.

mur44

gasman

Post by gasman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:12 pm

Thank you Larry. In my book you are a mensch.

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:15 pm

Good wishes----and thank you-----Squire Swedroe!
I know that you think you understand what you thought I said, but I don't think you realize that what I said is necessarily what I meant......

imbogled

Post by imbogled » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:34 pm

'Never say goodbye, because goodbye means going away, and going away means forgetting.' Peter Pan

Thanks Mr. Swedroe for all your helpful information and insights! imbogled
Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. | Warren Buffett

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:35 pm

Dear Larry,

Please reconsider. You have to have skin of steel to get along in this world, but you also have to think about the GOOD you do versus the the walls you come up against. Everyone should feel welcome all the time in any community they belong to (there are always naysayers). Just stick around.

Thank you and best regards,

(And reconsider.)

GoldenFinch

Swelfie

Post by Swelfie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:42 pm

I have learned more about finance and investing from Larry than from any other single source. Thank you Larry for all of your well thought out posts and fascinating discussions. You will be missed.

Karamatsu

Post by Karamatsu » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:42 pm

Just adding my thanks. I'm know we're all better investors for your contributions here and I hope somehow we can still be alerted to your articles. Also just personal thanks for all your reasoned arguments about the good, the flawed, the bad, and the ugly, as well as the steady voice during the dark days of 2008.

Enjoy the time with your family! Investing and finance are challenging and interesting but living a good life is what they are for!

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:53 pm

Good luck Larry and enjoy your family :beer
“Life is short, Break the Rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile" - Unknown

vbdoug

Post by vbdoug » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:54 pm

Larry, thank you for all your time and information. You will be greatly missed.

roymeo

Re: Larry Swedroe says "Goodbye."

Post by roymeo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:08 pm

+1 on the good things.
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo

zwzhang

Post by zwzhang » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:12 pm

Thank you Larry. I have learned a lot from 4 of your books, and appreciate your articles and posts here. Best wish.

Comhaltas

Post by Comhaltas » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:16 pm

Larry - from the outpouring of support in this post, I hope you realize how much you are appreciated, perhaps you did not realize how much. I for one, have a VERY low post count but am compelled to post my gratitude for your frequent input. You deserve a stress free life and retirement, but I sincerely hope you return some day soon. I have always enjoyed and learned from your posts, thank you so much for that. Please do not let a minority, become the deciding factor in your decision to depart this forum.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:19 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:Thank you Larry.

And this is how someone feels on one of the sites that is one of the safest, most polite, and least-attacky on the internet. I assure you it is far worse elsewhere.

Nonetheless, a lesson to be learned by all. How you interact matters.

+1

JamalJones

Post by JamalJones » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:34 pm

Sad to see Larry go. His posts on valuations really got me thinking about how I invest and what percentage I allocated to domestic equity, international equity, bonds, etc. I had never considered any of that before.

Also, he wrote some very valuable articles on ETF.com. I read them all!

Thank you Larry and good luck to you!!
TSP + Vanguard Roth IRA: 80% equities (C, S, I Funds and VTSAX,VTIAX, VEMAX) / 20% bonds (F and G Funds) | MOTBH!

kiddoc

Post by kiddoc » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Many thanks to Larry for his invaluable advice over the years
I will miss his insight and deeply academic analysis of complex investment decisions; yet his brevity and ability to make it all understandable.
:beer
"The four most dangerous words in investing are: 'this time it's different.'" - Sir John Templeton

selftalk

Post by selftalk » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:50 pm

I personally I hate to see you leave and appreciate sooo very much when you answered any question I had asked you in the private section of this website and promptly to boot. Perhaps you will realize how much you have helped all of us for so long and made us think about what course to take in our investing for success by your hard won experience. I own a good number of your books. It`s hard to ignore those who ridicule us but we must. I hope you will return back here in the future. I wish you good luck going forward.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:52 pm

I have learned a great deal from Mr. Swedroe. Anybody serious about investing in the financial markets would be well served by picking up one of his many books.

Thanks Larry.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:27 pm

Thank you Larry for your willingness to be helpful to the rest of us.

reriodan

Post by reriodan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:32 pm

Dang, I liked Larry. Goodbye and enjoy your retirement!

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:39 pm

Good luck Larry in your future and spending more time with your family. One of my favorite topics that he wrote about was how an investor should consider their ability, willingness and need to take risk when considering their asset allocation.

Although we can still read his articles, this is a loss to the Bogleheads site.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:42 pm

I can only echo what others have said. You will be missed here and I do think there will be a real loss here at bogleheads that will not be replaced. I as others have learned so much from you. I have not always agreed with everything you've written but I hope I did not contribute in any negative way to your conversations here. If I have I can truly and sincerely say I'm sorry for that and I do apologize for my actions and the actions of others. Judging by the number of positive responses (4 pages and still going) I'd say you have way more fans here than enemies (or frenemies). That may be too little, too late now unfortunately. Maybe those of us on this forum can find a better way to just "agree to disagree" and leave it at that. I was reading an article at Kitces.com yesterday by his new research associate Derek Tharp and what struck me was after writing hundreds of words on a particular subject (dynamic programming) and comparing it to monte carlo, he stated:

Ultimately, there’s no one “right” way to do retirement planning. Whether it is Monte Carlo versus historical analysis… goals based versus cash flow based planning… or dynamic programming versus non-optimizing approaches… all will give us different insights which can help guide decision making under risk and uncertainty.

Even though math may be inarguable, there are many roads to Dublin. It's what puts the "personal' in personal financial planning. So none of us have a monopoly on the truth. Hopefully, we can all learn to be more forgiving as a result of losing one of our most prestigious, accomplished, intelligent contributors over the years. We all have to say goodbye sometime, but I'm sorry it was under these circumstances. It's trite, but time does heal all wounds. I hope you can come back in the future, even if you post less frequently. If not, your work here has not been in vain. Your posts will not be forgotten.They will live on in perpetuity (or as long as bogleheads does). Best wishes to you Larry, for your future, your family and your retirement.
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

DesertOasis

Post by DesertOasis » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:53 pm

Larry, thanks for all the great posts over the years. Your most recent recommendations have been too complex for a me to follow but your core philosophy is one that I always referenced and admired for its common sense simplicity.

I was always apprehensive when you posted because I sensed that some people were gunning for you.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:02 pm

Thanks Larry for everything. I have enjoyed interacting with you here at the Bogleheads Forum and it has been an honor. Like a pick-up game of basketball in the inner city, sometimes sharp elbows get thrown underneath the basket. Nothing personal, just what happens when smart people get involved in intense discussions. Many best wishes for your upcoming retirement.
A fool and his money are good for business.