Larry Swedroe says "Goodby."

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
hudson

Re: Larry Swedroe says "Goodby."

Postby hudson » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:44 am

I like your books...especially the bond book. You said stick with AAA/AA bonds.
I liked that you answered my questions.
When I started reading your contributions over 10 years ago, I thought that I understood investing; I didn't. You were one of the key people that helped me get better.

Beat The Street

Postby Beat The Street » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:49 am

When I was 16 years old my dad suggested I read a book he found at the library called "Wise Investing Made Simple" by Larry Swedroe. I remember the instant impact it had on me and causing me to do a 180 in my investment philosophy. Being able to meet Larry a few times since then, the last way I would describe him is a self promoter. His passion for research is unmatched and one of the main reasons I would visit this site was to read his comments. Bogleheads will survive, but this is a big loss.
“Never ask anyone for their opinion, forecast, or recommendation. Just ask them what they have—or don’t have—in their portfolio.” -Taleb

Youngblood

Postby Youngblood » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:54 am

Driver wrote:Thanks Larry, I learned a great deal from your posts and books. I also admired your patience when you would continually answer the same questions over and over again. The posters who continually attacked you should leave instead. C'est La Vie. I'm saddened by your departure, but am happy that you'll have more time to spend with your family.

*edited for spelling

Yes, your patience on this forum has been amazing. Having read many of your exchanges, my patience would have expired long ago.

Best wishes and continued success in all you do.

Youngblood
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

powermega

Postby powermega » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:05 am

This is sad news because I considered LS to be one of the intellectual heavyweights around here. I can totally understand the desired to focus on what's really important in life (family), but I'm disappointed that he endured personal attacks to the extent that it helped motivate him to leave the forum.

Thank you for all your contributions here and good luck in your future pursuits Larry!
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Steve K

Postby Steve K » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:08 am

I learned a lot from your posts and books, thank you very much Larry.

MrDrinkingWater

Postby MrDrinkingWater » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:10 am

Thanks for posting your message, Taylor.

I liked reading through what Larry shared on this forum. I hope Larry enjoys more time on other things and with his family.

linenfort

Postby linenfort » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:11 am

I will never delete Larry's PM's from my inbox.
:(
RIP Paul Kangas. "Wishing you the best of goodbyes."

zengolf2011

Postby zengolf2011 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:15 am

Just echoing the many other comments here, but best of luck, Mr. Swedroe. I admire your integrity. If I were to decide in the future to engage an asset management firm, yours would be my first choice. I never found you to contradict the Boglehead philosophy, just to offer some alternatives. If you were selling books on this forum, readers would do themselves a favor by buying them! You have helped me immensely, and I am in your debt.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:17 am

Perfectly understandable. Thank you and good luck.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

Dottie57

Postby Dottie57 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:19 am

Is there a way to search for Larry's posts? I am relatively new here and would love to be able to do so.

Hayden

Postby Hayden » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:20 am

Thank you for your contributions here and for your books. You have made a difference in the lives of many.

Grt2bOutdoors

Postby Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:25 am

Dottie57 wrote:Is there a way to search for Larry's posts? I am relatively new here and would love to be able to do so.

search.php Enter Larry Swedroe in the "Search Author" box. Click Search button below. Wa-lla! Larry's postings will be listed below. You can modify your search to find the thread postings initiated by Larry.

I am off to complete my purchase for a few more books authored by Larry to expand and complete my existing collection of 3. :wink:
Last edited by Grt2bOutdoors on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

saltycaper

Postby saltycaper » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:26 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Is there a way to search for Larry's posts? I am relatively new here and would love to be able to do so.

Just click on his username and there is a link for "Search user's posts".
"I guess I should warn you, if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said." --Alan Greenspan

HueyLD

Postby HueyLD » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:27 am

Thank you Larry. May you have a wonderful retirement. You earned it.

AlwaysBeClimbing

Postby AlwaysBeClimbing » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:30 am

staythecourse wrote:I have not always agreed with Mr. Swedroe's views or posts, but do appreciate the kindness of someone of his stature coming on and not just posting, "Hey read this what I wrote", but answers questions on or off point to that post (many times heated ones). You don't see many folks as well known as him answering simple to complex questions to a bunch of folks he will likely never get as client. That shows he is willing to help the common Joe and not just interested in making money (at least not direct).

+1

Whether you agreed or disagreed with him on certain issues, have to respect the fact that he'd even spend the time.

MikeMak27

Postby MikeMak27 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:31 am

Larry,

Thank you for all that you have done to help this forum and investors everywhere with your books! I can say without question, that when I retire at 60 (30 years from now), I will have a much more comfortable retirement than I would have had without your help. I always read your ETF.com articles and will continue to link them on this forum when I think they are beneficial for the community. I'll also start commenting on them. :)

With that said, the negative attacks on Larry by a select few were embarrassing for me to even read. Shame on you for acting like a child. Mods please be vigilant when policing for personal attacks.

TheTimeLord

Postby TheTimeLord » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:31 am

[quote="larryswedroe"][/quote]
I will miss Larry greatly. He has been a personal help to me and has always been kind and patient enough to answer my PMs to him. I appreciate his insights and it has helped give me confidence in how I was proceeding. It was great to find so much common ground with someone who had devote so much time to the study of personal finance. Best of everything to you Larry and THANK YOU for everything.
Run, You Clever Boy!

bikechuck

Postby bikechuck » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:40 am

I would like to thank Mr. Swedroe for his past participation in this online community and to wish him well as he plans to spend more time with his family in retirement. I have learned so much from reading his posts.

I would also like to thank Mr. Larimore for summarizing Larry's reasons for his decision to discontinue his participation. It is an important reminder to all of us of the importance of civility and the need to respect each other and to refrain from being judgmental or ascribing motives to other participants.

jharkin

Postby jharkin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:41 am

I dont know Larry but its always a sad day when a community loses a highly contributing member. Hope he enjoys his retirement.

The arguing and personal attacks are just how the internet works these days Im afraid. Ive seen it and I know Ive stepped over the line myself arguing with some. I try my best, but dont always succeed, to admit it when I realize Ive overstepped and get back on track.

Truth be told, what goes on here is downright tame compared to the seething hate and vitriol I see on many other forums. Big thanks go out to the moderators for running a tight ship.

Nicolas

Postby Nicolas » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:43 am

Thanks Larry. Sorry to see you go.
Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro. -- Aesop

Valuethinker

Postby Valuethinker » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:51 am

To Mr. Swedroe

I have enjoyed your commentary and your measured responses to my questions.

Your departure from here is a loss to everyone.

I wish you well on your life's journey-- all we truly know is that it ends for all of us in the same place.

Sincerely

Valuethinker

larryc

Postby larryc » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:15 am

Thanks for all of your time and thought. I've been watching this site for many many years, and I find your posts to be the most interesting of all the many interesting posts. Life moves on and hopefully sometime in the future the site can find a less frustrating place in your affairs. Thanks again.

Call_Me_Op

Postby Call_Me_Op » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:17 am

Larry is an invaluable resource, as we all know. He is the only person to be named in my IPS. I'll miss him posting here, but fully understand his reasons. It's comforting to know he still can be reached.

Larry, thanks for all of your help in understanding investing.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

vectorizer

Postby vectorizer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:22 am

Thanks for all your contributions here Larry, a have learned a lot from your articles and the discussions here on the board. Sorry you felt you had to leave. Hopefully others will at least post links to your future articles.

Tanelorn

Postby Tanelorn » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:22 am

Thanks for helping educate people here. If you find you have too much free time in your retirement and change your mind, I'm sure you'll be more than welcome back.

soazfree

Postby soazfree » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:27 am

Thanks for the great info, enjoy your retirement (I highly recommend it). And as they say, the door is always open if you want to come back online at a later date! :sharebeer

friar1610

Postby friar1610 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:36 am

Thank you, Larry, for all your time, effort and help. Fair winds and following seas.
Friar1610

ruralavalon

Postby ruralavalon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:49 am

Thanks Larry for a your time, posts and books. I especially appreciate the bond book.

It's sad, no more contributions from Larry Swedroe or Rick Ferri.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

rustymutt

Postby rustymutt » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:54 am

Larry is one of the good guys. Goodby Larry, and good luck with your family duties. Thank you Larry for all your free wonderful wisdom and insight for those of us otherwise blind to numbers. Best wishes! :sharebeer
Knowledge is knowing that the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing better than to put the tomato in a fruit salad.

DetroitRick

Postby DetroitRick » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:55 am

Thank you so much Larry. Your posts have been so valuable to me. I deeply appreciate all the effort you've put forth here. :sharebeer

leehamster

Postby leehamster » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:05 pm

Cheers, Larry! May you remember the interesting debates and that gratitude in this thread, more than the insults of a few.

Thanks much.

High Income Parent

Postby High Income Parent » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:09 pm

Thank you Mr. Swedroe. Your insight and service will be missed.
Children are not a distraction from more important work. They are the most important work. | | C. S. Lewis

Will do good

Postby Will do good » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:10 pm

Thank you Larry for all your advices. Sorry some of our members caused you trouble, some do seems to like to argue for the sake of arguing.

Alexa9

Postby Alexa9 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:19 pm

Thanks Larry! The site won't be the same without you. Shame on the posters that attacked him.

S&L1940

Postby S&L1940 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:26 pm

one more thankful BH'er here who profited from your advice posted here and your books that help guide our - successful - investment voyage.
Good Luck
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

Doom&Gloom

Postby Doom&Gloom » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:27 pm

Larry,

The time I spent reading and mulling over your posts was time well spent.

Good luck and thanks for your time here!
:beer

S&L1940

Postby S&L1940 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:36 pm

Larry
am I right you are originally a Bronx guy?
which would explain your generosity in sharing your great investment advice
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

inittowinit

Postby inittowinit » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:47 pm

I've greatly valued Larry's posts on this forum. I hope he will reconsider and post here again in the future.

Thanks for your service Mr. Swedroe!

garlandwhizzer

Postby garlandwhizzer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:49 pm

Don't know if Larry will ever read this but just in case, I'd like to express my thanks to him for his insightful posts, for educating us on the latest factor research among other things, for giving us plenty of free and sound advice, and for spending a great deal of time from a busy professional schedule responding to questions posed by us. I fully understand his reasons for leaving and will miss his vast knowledge base, keen intelligence and insight, and his willingness to share and interact with all of us. It is very rare in the financial industry, understandably so, when such luminaries as Larry (and Bill Bernstein and Rick Ferri) take time from their busy schedules to dispense free advice/insight to people most of whom they do not know at all and will never meet. You quickly realize how much a thing is worth when it is gone for good.

Garland Whizzer

RetiredinKaty

Postby RetiredinKaty » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:51 pm

Thank you Mr. Swedroe. Your willingness to engage regularly on this forum was a rare gift to us all. I can't rightly say how many of your books I have read because most of them are in e-book form, but they have all been very helpful.

Now I guess I will subscribe to your blog, wherever it is and wherever it goes. All the best.

IlikeJackB

Postby IlikeJackB » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:56 pm

Thank you for all you have contributed here, Larry - you will be missed.
"Do what you will, the capital is at hazard." Justice Samuel Putnam, Harvard College vs Amory, 1830. The "Prudent Man Rule."

DTSC

Postby DTSC » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:00 pm

Thank you for all you've done here. I will miss your contributions. Happy Retirement!

first_do_no_harm

Postby first_do_no_harm » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:01 pm

I liked reading Larry's stuff. I was never a Buckingham prospect, but I bought Larry's factor book because of his posts here.
That said, this is a MORE than civil forum. I don't for one second see Larry's exit as a reflection on this forum. But, to be as involved as Larry was here takes a lot of time. He certainly contributed more here than he got out of it. I'll continue following him online.

Jiu Jitsu Fighter

Postby Jiu Jitsu Fighter » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:16 pm

That is a bummer. I read Expected Returns by Antti Ilmanen because of Larry and consider it the best book on understanding the risks and returns in financial markets. I've also attended one of his seminars. He wasn't digging for clients. I think he had recently released a book, but he was more interested in helping those in attendance understand portfolio management.

I hope he still writes from etf.com and advisorperspectives.com. He's been on Masters in Business by Bloomberg radio and also Meb Faber's podcast. Hopefully, he'll continue to do those as well.

Thanks for all that you have contributed, Larry!

Munir

Postby Munir » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:17 pm

Larry, your contributions were always thought-provoking and leading to great dialogues and discussions. I regret the personal attacks from petty-minded people. Civility, as exemplified by our founder Taylor Larimore, has always been a cornerstone of discussions in this forum. If I become hot-headed about a rude post and getting ready to lash out, I ask myself "how would Taylor respond"? That usually brings me back to my senses. Thank you and best wishes in your future pursuits.

1210sda

Postby 1210sda » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:19 pm

Will do good wrote:Thank you Larry for all your advices. Sorry some of our members caused you trouble, some do seems to like to argue for the sake of arguing.

+1

Munir

Postby Munir » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:21 pm

garlandwhizzer wrote:Don't know if Larry will ever read this but just in case, I'd like to express my thanks to him for his insightful posts, for educating us on the latest factor research among other things, for giving us plenty of free and sound advice, and for spending a great deal of time from a busy professional schedule responding to questions posed by us. I fully understand his reasons for leaving and will miss his vast knowledge base, keen intelligence and insight, and his willingness to share and interact with all of us. It is very rare in the financial industry, understandably so, when such luminaries as Larry (and Bill Bernstein and Rick Ferri) take time from their busy schedules to dispense free advice/insight to people most of whom they do not know at all and will never meet. You quickly realize how much a thing is worth when it is gone for good.

Garland Whizzer

Well-said, Garland. Thank you.

bengal22

Postby bengal22 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:22 pm

Thank You and good luck to your future retirement. I used to love the Rick and Larry debates and will miss those informative interchanges.

WallStreetPhysician

Postby WallStreetPhysician » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:23 pm

Sad to see you go, Larry. Your contributions to the forum are greatly appreciated by the Bogleheads community.

-WSP

Jiu Jitsu Fighter

Postby Jiu Jitsu Fighter » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:24 pm

Munir wrote:Larry, your contributions were always thought-provoking and leading to great dialogues and discussions. I regret the personal attacks from petty-minded people. Civility, as exemplified by our founder Taylor Larimore, has always been a cornerstone of discussions in this forum. If I become hot-headed about a rude post and getting ready to lash out, I ask myself "how would Taylor respond"? That usually brings me back to my senses. Thank you and best wishes in your future pursuits.

WWTD? What would Taylor do? That is awesome.

Return to “Investing - Theory, News & General”