Many years ago I met a very knowledgeable author (15 books) and advisor named Larry Swedroe. I asked him to visit the Bogleheads Forum and share his knowledge. He accepted my invitation and has contributed over 15,000 posts.
Larry has decided to stop posting. He explained his reasons for leaving in an e-mail he sent me today (slightly edited):
As to my departure, I'm afraid for a variety of reasons this is highly likely to be permanent. I can spread only so thinly. Also I'm getting near retirement and want to spend more time with family.
Bogleheads were taking up to 10-15 hours a week sometimes. But the main reason is I just got tired of the personal attacks, questioning my integrity--assuming I'm spending all that time and patience answering the same questions for the reason of self-promotion or making money.
First, it's not true. That should be obvious given all the time spent on a DYI site and all the PMs and emails Bogleheads know I answer from people who will never do business with an advisor. I think there have been two Bogleheads who are clients. Do you think I would spend that much time for two clients?
It's simply mostly my way of giving back, trying to help others. That's 90% of it. The other 10% is it's great to debate ideas and have to defend positions, that's how we learn. So I never mind the debates or even answering the same question over and over again. It's the personal attacks. And some people are even clueless, asking for help after they make the accusations.
It's sad that a few bad apples can spoil everything for the majority, but that's the nature of the internet and why most pros won't post on such sites. I see this everywhere. Your moderators do a good job, so not blaming them.
At any rate you can feel free if you like to summarize my reasons for not posting. And you can tell the Bogleheads, as I have told the many who e-mailed or PM'd me that I'm always happy to answer e-mails or PMs, but not posting.