[Vanguard Is Growing Faster Than Everybody Else Combined]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

[Vanguard Is Growing Faster Than Everybody Else Combined]

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

Morningstar is featuring an article about the spectacular increase in Vanguard mutual funds assets--particularly total market index funds (investors are catching on).

For Vanguard, Every Year is a Record

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
kd2008

NYT article on Vanguard

Post by kd2008 »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/14/busi ... rowth.html
In the last three calendar years, investors sank $823 billion into Vanguard funds, the company says. The scale of that inflow becomes clear when it is compared with the rest of the mutual fund industry — more than 4,000 firms in total. All of them combined took in just a net $97 billion during that period, Morningstar data shows. Vanguard, in other words, scooped up about 8.5 times as much money as all of its competitors.
This comes on the heels of the articles stating $2 billion dollars a day intake for this year for Vanguard.

I am glad that the general public at large is ultimately benefiting from lower investing costs - not just Vanguard fund investors.

I had a run in with Vanguard when they made numerous errors in opening an account of my family member. But strikingly enough they did call back and resolve it correctly. That is all I ask. Mistakes happen. It is prompt resolution that matters.
Jacotus

Re: NYT article on Vanguard

Post by Jacotus »

Nice article. A good reminder of who brought us to this golden age.
In the last three calendar years, investors sank $823 billion into Vanguard funds, the company says. The scale of that inflow becomes clear when it is compared with the rest of the mutual fund industry — more than 4,000 firms in total. All of them combined took in just a net $97 billion during that period, Morningstar data shows. Vanguard, in other words, scooped up about 8.5 times as much money as all of its competitors.
That's an extremely misleading comparison from the author. They are quoting inflows to Vanguard, but lumping inflows to Fidelity with outflows from other mutual fund companies. I'm pretty sure Fidelity takes in a lot of money too.

A more meaningful comparison would be inflows to Vanguard with inflows to Fidelity, or with the combined inflows to all the inflow-positive mutual fund companies.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Jacotus wrote:Nice article. A good reminder of who brought us to this golden age.
That's an extremely misleading comparison from the author. They are quoting inflows to Vanguard, but lumping inflows to Fidelity with outflows from other mutual fund companies. I'm pretty sure Fidelity takes in a lot of money too.

A more meaningful comparison would be inflows to Vanguard with inflows to Fidelity, or with the combined inflows to all the inflow-positive mutual fund companies.
Vanguard is taking in substantially more money than everyone else COMBINED.
The Sensible Steward
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

willthrill81 wrote:
Jacotus wrote:Nice article. A good reminder of who brought us to this golden age.

Net; means they're counting all the active fund money that was pulled out, which is significant. This isn't a 1-1 inflow comparison.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

MotoTrojan wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:

Net; means they're counting all the active fund money that was pulled out, which is significant. This isn't a 1-1 inflow comparison.
Yes, I thought that was disingenuous of the NYT reporter. Better to compare inflows at Vanguard vs. inflows at all other firms with significant indexing business. Or, indexing inflows (aggregate) vs active funds outflow. But that wouldn't result in such a flashy result.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

triceratop wrote:Yes, I thought that was disingenuous of the NYT reporter. Better to compare inflows at Vanguard vs. inflows at all other firms with significant indexing business. Or, indexing inflows (aggregate) vs active funds outflow. But that wouldn't result in such a flashy result.
Well, here's the info for 2016:
http://www.investors.com/etfs-and-funds ... net-inflow
Vanguard lured in a net $182.997 billion to its mutual funds, according to Morningstar Inc.

All other mutual fund complexes with inflow — there were 314 if them — had combined net inflow of $151 billion.
Another 511 complexes had net outflow.

The closest single fund family to Vanguard was Dimensional Fund Advisors, which pulled in a relatively paltry net $21.417 billion.

Several of the industry's largest fund families suffered the heaviest net outflows in 2016.
No. 2 in net redemptions was Fidelity Investments, with $1.22 trillion in total net assets in funds, which lost $24.48 billion in net outflow.
So, no good news for Fidelity here either.
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Vulcan wrote:
triceratop wrote:Yes, I thought that was disingenuous of the NYT reporter. Better to compare inflows at Vanguard vs. inflows at all other firms with significant indexing business. Or, indexing inflows (aggregate) vs active funds outflow. But that wouldn't result in such a flashy result.
Well, here's the info for 2016:
http://www.investors.com/etfs-and-funds ... net-inflow
Vanguard lured in a net $182.997 billion to its mutual funds, according to Morningstar Inc.

All other mutual fund complexes with inflow — there were 314 if them — had combined net inflow of $151 billion.
Another 511 complexes had net outflow.

The closest single fund family to Vanguard was Dimensional Fund Advisors, which pulled in a relatively paltry net $21.417 billion.

Several of the industry's largest fund families suffered the heaviest net outflows in 2016.
No. 2 in net redemptions was Fidelity Investments, with $1.22 trillion in total net assets in funds, which lost $24.48 billion in net outflow.
So, no good news for Fidelity here either.
Thanks for the link. That's what I said to begin with; there's Vanguard and everyone else. Fidelity isn't even close.
The Sensible Steward
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

This from Morningstar's Alina Lamy says it simply:
“Since the crisis, investors have been saying, ‘I may not be able to control the market, but I can control how much I pay in mutual fund expenses.’ And when they look for quality funds with low fees, the first answer is Vanguard.”
Thanks for the link.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

Further at the investors.com link above,
The report noted that Fidelity's buildup of index funds in recent years enabled it "to offset some of the bleeding on the active (management) side of (funds) with $37 billion in index-tracking inflows."
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase
Wakefield1

Re: "For Vanguard, Every Year is a Record"

Post by Wakefield1 »

Are (most) Vanguard actively managed funds also experiencing net inflows? (I assume most of the Vanguard inflows are into index funds)
Any other fund families experiencing net inflows into their actively managed funds?
*3!4!/5!

Re: "For Vanguard, Every Year is a Record"

Post by *3!4!/5! »

Interesting quote:
"for the first time in three years, Vanguard is not attracting more than 100% of the industry’s inflows."
mancich

Good article in NY Times on Vanguard

Post by mancich »

[Moved mancich's post into this existing thread - moderator prudent]

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/14/busi ... .html?_r=0

Enjoy :beer
simplesauce

Post by simplesauce »

This paragraph concerned me, any thoughts?

"Up and down Wall Street, where the sum of a firm’s assets under management has become a badge of power and sway, Vanguard’s ability to attract and run so much money with so few people has been a cause for envy and disbelief. Some have even warned that index funds will distort the broader market, especially if active stock pickers are pushed farther to the sidelines."
harvestbook

Post by harvestbook »

simplesauce wrote:This paragraph concerned me, any thoughts?

"Up and down Wall Street, where the sum of a firm’s assets under management has become a badge of power and sway, Vanguard’s ability to attract and run so much money with so few people has been a cause for envy and disbelief. Some have even warned that index funds will distort the broader market, especially if active stock pickers are pushed farther to the sidelines."
I've read several blogs about this and the conventional wisdom (yeah, I know that means nothing on Wall Street) is that
(1) it would take decades before the indexers became even a majority of the traded market,
(2) there will always be people who aren't happy with beta and that it's human nature to want to beat the market
(3) there will always be contrarians hedging or taking the other side of the bet
(4)that the speculative return is not even that big a portion of growth, or as Bogle says, "The market is the market."
(5) and that NOW is the time for active managers to outperform, a bit of wisdom repeated every few months as a new era seemingly begins

Some say the market is already distorted because of passive indexing, but isn't the market ALWAYS distorted because of something? When has it ever been 'correct" and "normal"? I'm much more concerned over the shrinking numbers of public companies, the winner-take-all of of a handful of giant companies dominating all returns, the higher cost and risk to get lower returns, the likely generation of low bond returns, etc. but I imagine a lot of these factors will cancel out or mean-revert and the market will be the market.
I'm not smart enough to know, and I can't afford to guess.
davidlukewilcox

Post by davidlukewilcox »

I'm pretty sure that efficient market hypothesis only works when there's a substantial number of people out there trying to beat the market. Couldn't this be bad? When everyone indexes, that means valuations are not correct. Might this mean that we could be in a situation where indexing is the wrong choice?
sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy »

deleted