2017 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

2017 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Sorry folks, but we're sold out. You can feel free to add your name on a wait list at the end of this thread in case someone who registered doesn't pay promptly. Just indicate that you'd like to attend if a spot opens up.

Hello Everyone:

We are pleased to announce that our 2017 Bogleheads® Conference will be held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, with check-in starting at 2PM on Wednesday, October 18, 2017. The meeting will end around 1:30PM on Friday, October 20, 2017.

Our special guest for the Conference is our friend and mentor, Jack Bogle (health permitting). Jack plans to attend specifically to meet with his Bogleheads®, so this is a unique and rare opportunity. Other investing authorities expected to attend and participate as panel members in the Q&A with the Experts are authors Christine Benz, Dr. Bill Bernstein, Jonathan Clements, Mel Lindauer, Dr. Wade Pfau, Mike Piper, and Allan Roth. And we’re excited to announce that Gus Sauter, the former Chief Investment Officer at Vanguard, will be joining us again this year.

We'll start with check-in followed by a wine and cheese reception on Wednesday afternoon. After breakfast on Thursday morning, we’ll meet with Jack Bogle for a presentation. Following his presentation, Jack will be joined by Dr. Bill Bernstein for a “Fireside Chat”, followed by a Q&A session with the Panel of Experts. After lunch, there will be book signings and personal discussions with Jack and our authors and experts. There will also be a simultaneous breakout session and an ongoing wiki demonstration. Then on Thursday evening, we’ll visit Vanguard. After breakfast on Friday, we’ll have a presentation from Gus Sauter, followed by an extensive Q&A session with Jack Bogle.

The registration fee for this meeting is US$275 per person. This non-refundable and non-transferable fee covers the wine and cheese reception on Wednesday, breakfast, lunch, break snacks, and evening meal on Thursday, breakfast on Friday, and the meeting room rental and audio equipment that we need for the various functions.

Registration is now open. Space is limited. We suggest that you make your reservation and send in your payment now to ensure getting one of the available spots. In previous years, we’ve sold out very quickly (in just five days after the forum announcement last year) and we expect to do so again this year. There will be no wait list, so if you want to join us, you’ll need to act promptly.
To register for the Conference, please go to our simple online registration at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... w/viewform Just open the link, complete and submit the form, then mail your check (payment must be received to complete registration). If you have any problems or questions, contact us at: BogleheadsConference@gmail.com

Also check out the conference website... https://sites.google.com/site/bogleheadsmeeting/
Once your payment is received, you will be advised on the procedure for reserving a room as well as Airport to hotel transportation options. Our preferred Conference hotel discounted rate is $149 per night (king or double queen) plus 9% tax. This special rate is available from October 16 through October 20. Other nights are available at a reduced rate for those who want to spend additional time visiting the historic Philadelphia area. The hotel only holds a limited number of rooms for us at these special rates, so be sure to make your reservations as soon as you receive the hotel booking information. Our block of hotel rooms sold out quickly last year, and those who registered later had to find other accommodations.

We look forward to another exciting event.

Mel Lindauer, Mel Turner (aka TOM, “The Other Mel”), Paul Globerson, Gail Cox and Ed Rager.
Last edited by Mel Lindauer on Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Dottie57

Re: 2017 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by Dottie57 »

If a conference attendee wanted to also see Gettysburg, how long would the trip take? It would seem like a shame to travel there and not see a great historic site.

Google says the trip would take 2 hours 19 minutes. Is this somewhat close?
mattshwink

Post by mattshwink »

Dottie57 wrote:If a conference attendee wanted to also see Gettysburg, how long would the trip take? It would seem like a shame to travel there and not see a great historic site.

Honestly, you can spend a whole day at Gettysburg. But plan at least 3-4 hours. 2.5 hour travel time is a good estimate, though it depends on time of day. I would do this either before or after the conference. So either or Tuesday or Saturday (probably not enough time if you come on Friday, you might be able to make it work on Wednesday).
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

mattshwink wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:If a conference attendee wanted to also see Gettysburg, how long would the trip take? It would seem like a shame to travel there and not see a great historic site.

Honestly, you can spend a whole day at Gettysburg. But plan at least 3-4 hours. 2.5 hour travel time is a good estimate, though it depends on time of day. I would do this either before or after the conference. So either or Tuesday or Saturday (probably not enough time if you come on Friday, you might be able to make it work on Wednesday).
I think I would arrive on Monday afternoon. Tuesday to look around Philadelphia. Wed-Fri for conference. Saturday for Gettysburg. Leave for home on Sunday.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Which hotel?
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

oldcomputerguy wrote:Which hotel?
Only registered and paid attendees are privy to that information, for practical security and logistical reasons. Once you are registered AND your payment has been received, the organizers will send you the hotel information (as noted above).
dougger5

Post by dougger5 »

Just to clarify - should I wait for a confirmation email before mailing payment, or mail the payment immediately? Moot point if the email arrives before I even have a chance to mail it...but I figured I'd ask anyway.
"I've been ionized, but I'm okay now." -Buckaroo Banzai
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

dodecahedron wrote:
oldcomputerguy wrote:Which hotel?
Only registered and paid attendees are privy to that information, for practical security and logistical reasons. Once you are registered AND your payment has been received, the organizers will send you the hotel information (as noted above).
Ok, thanks. DW has been to Philadelphia, she was asking me where this was being held.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

dougger5 wrote:Just to clarify - should I wait for a confirmation email before mailing payment, or mail the payment immediately? Moot point if the email arrives before I even have a chance to mail it...but I figured I'd ask anyway.
You're not fully registered and guaranteed a spot until/unless your check is received. Even though you signed up early, you could still lose your spot if everyone else pays before you. You'll only get confirmation that you're in AFTER your check is received.
dougger5

Post by dougger5 »

Mel Lindauer wrote:
dougger5 wrote:Just to clarify - should I wait for a confirmation email before mailing payment, or mail the payment immediately? Moot point if the email arrives before I even have a chance to mail it...but I figured I'd ask anyway.
You're not fully registered and guaranteed a spot until/unless your check is received. Even though you signed up early, you could still lose your spot if everyone else pays before you. You'll only get confirmation that you're in AFTER your check is received.
Fair enough, thanks :happy
"I've been ionized, but I'm okay now." -Buckaroo Banzai
beardsworth

Post by beardsworth »

Hi Mel,

I've often wondered: If registration typically sells out within days of the initial announcement, would it not be possible in the future to hold the event in a larger space so that more people could attend? Just puzzled. Thanks.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

beardsworth wrote:Hi Mel,

I've often wondered: If registration typically sells out within days of the initial announcement, would it not be possible in the future to hold the event in a larger space so that more people could attend? Just puzzled. Thanks.
Obviously we could sell out a much larger venue, but we prefer a smaller group (200) where attendees get a chance to interact with Jack Bogle and the authors and experts in attendance rather than a larger, impersonal gathering.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I'm pleased to announce that we've added Jonathan Clements to the Experts Panel. Jonathan will also be signing books during the book-signing session.
More Please

Post by More Please »

Jonathan Clements is terrific! I hope my check gets to San Diego first! :D
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Mel Lindauer wrote:I'm pleased to announce that we've added Jonathan Clements to the Experts Panel. Jonathan will also be signing books during the book-signing session.
Yippee!!
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

I think you should take into account the postmark date on the letter. Last time my check took about a week from Michigan to San Diego! I mailed my check yesterday ... hope it arrives .. I don't know what it is with the mail here. It takes about a week for a letter to go 3 miles to my CPA. Now that I'm retired, I take documents in person.

Whatever - so goes life - I have just seen that there is a photographic course to Costa Rica that I want to take so doesn't really matter. Thanks for organizing.
Last edited by Lynette on Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

More Please wrote:Jonathan Clements is terrific! I hope my check gets to San Diego first! :D
I am on the East Coast and keeping my fingers crossed that my check mailed yesterday will arrive before the registration is closed. Every year sell out takes less and less time. Pretty soon registrations will be locked sooner than the time it takes to lock a thread with sex, drugs and rock-n-roll.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Lynette wrote:I think you should take into account the postmark date on the letter. Last time my check took about a week from Michigan to San Diego! I mailed my check yesterday ... hope it arrives .. I don't know what it is with the mail here. It takes about a week for a letter to go 3 miles to my CPA. Now that I'm retired, I take documents in person.

Whatever - so goes life - I have just seen that there is a photographic course to Costa Rica that I want to take so doesn't really matter. Thanks for organizing.
If your check is postmarked yesterday, you should be fine. We'll certainly take the postmark into account.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Lynette wrote:I think you should take into account the postmark date on the letter. Last time my check took about a week from Michigan to San Diego! I mailed my check yesterday ... hope it arrives .. I don't know what it is with the mail here. It takes about a week for a letter to go 3 miles to my CPA. Now that I'm retired, I take documents in person.

If your check is postmarked yesterday, you should be fine. We'll certainly take the postmark into account.
A Sunday postmark? Lucky people...
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

BolderBoy wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:

A Sunday postmark? Lucky people...
:D :D I put the letter and check in a mailbox at a Post Office yesterday at about 5:00 p.m. Obviously it shouldd have today's postmark. I don't know what it is with mail in this area! I a fairly built-up area outside of Detroit.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I have a conflict this year and won't be attending like last year. :(
So this will allow another newbie to go.
Good luck...
Attempted new signature...
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Mel Lindauer wrote:I'm pleased to announce that we've added Jonathan Clements to the Experts Panel. Jonathan will also be signing books during the book-signing session.
This is excellent.
It would be good to keep inviting additional notables to present at the Conference.
(Perhaps you already are, I'm not privy...)
We're unlikely to get Michael Kitces for free, I think, but who knows...
Attempted new signature...
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

The Wizard wrote:I have a conflict this year and won't be attending like last year. :(
So this will allow another newbie to go.
Good luck...
Hope "a conflict" is worth it. Good luck to you, too,

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

I am a big fan of Jonathan Clements but will not be going this year. Having gone the past two years, I feel like it is time for me to give someone else a chance. I hope he will be back.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

dodecahedron wrote:I am a big fan of Jonathan Clements but will not be going this year. Having gone the past two years, I feel like it is time to give someone else a chance.
I'll miss seeing you this year. I'm bringing two newbies with me.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

LAST CALL: WE ONLY HAVE SIX SPOTS LEFT AND WE'LL CLOSE REGISTRATION DOWN. ACT NOW OR GET SHUT OUT.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Fair Warning: We're down to three spots.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Sorry folks, but we're sold out. You can feel free to add your name on a wait list at the end of this thread in case someone who registered doesn't pay promptly. Just indicate that you'd like to attend if a spot opens up.
radstar

Post by radstar »

I would like to register and be on waiting list if someone happens to cancel.

Thank you.
"No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care" - Anonymous
cantos

Post by cantos »

With tickets sold out so quickly, it's time for webcasting!
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

Wow! Less than 27 hours to sell out! Must be a record. Shows you have to be in before the lock!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I registered yesterday, but no mail pickup until today. Keeping my fingers crossed...
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
rick2427

Post by rick2427 »

I would like to attend the conference .
Kindly add my name to the waiting list .

Thanks,
Rick2427
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

GoldenFinch wrote:Wow! Less than 27 hours to sell out! Must be a record. Shows you have to be in before the lock!
Yes, IIRC, last year was a bit longer. Folks have learned that they need to respond quickly if they want to attend or risk getting shut out.
RRA

Post by RRA »

Please add my name to the waiting list.

Thank you,
RRA
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

My check is in the mail in yellow envelope with Vanguard (clipper ship) postage stamp for speedy delivery!

Maybe the leaders could change to a lottery enrollment system for the 2018 conference? I suggest one pool for those who have attended before, and another pool for "newbies" to encourage first time attendance. It would be great for everyone who wants to participate to have a turn.

Thanks to the Boglehead team putting this together for all of us, and sharing the video sessions afterwards!
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

alisa4804 wrote:My check is in the mail in yellow envelope with Vanguard (clipper ship) postage stamp for speedy delivery!

Maybe the leaders could change to a lottery enrollment system for the 2018 conference? I suggest one pool for those who have attended before, and another pool for "newbies" to encourage first time attendance. It would be great for everyone who wants to participate to have a turn.

Thanks to the Boglehead team putting this together for all of us, and sharing the video sessions afterwards!
The first-timers have been heard from; we have 70 "newbies" registered.
NORDO

Post by NORDO »

After trying for years, I finally timed it correctly and was able to register this afternoon!

However, I was at work when I filled out the Google form and by the time I got home, the registration was closed - along with the address/information for sending the check. :shock:

Could anyone else who registered please PM me the details? I did email the official conference Gmail address with the same request, but I want to be certain the check is in the mail first thing tomorrow.

Looking forward to my first conference and meeting some of you... it's been a long time coming.

EDIT - already received the information and my check's in the mail. :beer
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

LadyGeek wrote:I registered yesterday, but no mail pickup until today. Keeping my fingers crossed...
You'll be fine, LG.
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

Mel,

Please add me to the waiting list, as this is on my bucket list and I refuse to not complete a bucket list item:)

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
Laker

Post by Laker »

Please add two people to the waitlist. I should have registered last night when I saw the post!! sigh!!!
Boglefan58

Post by Boglefan58 »

I would like to be put on the waiting list for two persons.

Sincerely,

Boglefan58
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Well there went my plan. I made sure to try and be on the forums every day recently since I missed the window last year (it opened earlier than originally thought). I got the email on Sunday announcing it and was going to the post office today to mail my check. Guess I'll miss this year :(
55andout

Post by 55andout »

Mel,

Unfortunately I was traveling during the last three days, so missed out on being able to respond quickly enough. Please add me to the waiting list, if enough spaces open up.

Thanks!
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

The Wizard wrote:
This is excellent.
It would be good to keep inviting additional notables to present at the Conference.
(Perhaps you already are, I'm not privy...)
We're unlikely to get Michael Kitces for free, I think, but who knows...
FYI, we not only don't pay the experts/notables, they actually pay full price to attend just like everyone else. Same goes for me and my team members who work nine months a year to put the event on; we all pay full price.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

^^ Great policy to have.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
rore500

Post by rore500 »

Please add me to the waiting list for the 2017 Boglehead Conference.

Thank you!
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Bummer. I thought you'd said the announcement would be April 5, and I was still thinking about whether I wanted to do another cross-country trip this year. Oh well. I got to be a newbie last year.
(At this moment I'm in the wilds of central Florida with limited internet access.)
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Please add me to the waiting list.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

BrandonBogle wrote:Well there went my plan. I made sure to try and be on the forums every day recently since I missed the window last year (it opened earlier than originally thought). I got the email on Sunday announcing it and was going to the post office today to mail my check. Guess I'll miss this year :(
If you signed up in time, all you need to do to secure your spot is mail in your check. Everyone who registered will get a spot as long as we get their checks in a timely manner. If not, we'll open up their spots to folks on the wait list.