2017 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
NORDO

Re: 2017 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by NORDO » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:43 pm

BrandonBogle wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:Two lessons learned:
1. email and forum post will go at the same time next year, and
2. Never again announce an exact date.

Best Regards,

Mel

Respectfully, I think #1 doesn't need to happen (though your prerogative - this isn't a vote). #2 is a valuable lesson. Many seemed to take that date and put it on their calendar and not watch until then.

For whatever it's worth...

I've marked my calendar the past couple years - and despite the reminders, I always checked the forum after the registration cutoff and missed out. This year, I still marked the calendar (first for mid-Feb, then for Apr 5th per the prior forum posts about a later announcement) but started checking daily well in advance.

I was able to register* this time.

So, speaking from experience and having been on the short end of the stick in the past, consider all dates rough and check frequently if you want to attend.

And yes, a hearty thanks to all who have organized this event for so long and continue to do so. I've been a loyal Boghelead for at least 5 years now and am extremely excited and grateful to finally have a chance to attend the conference.

*still waiting for official confirmation after my check is received!

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:26 am

Three cheers for Mel and the rest of the team for all that they do for the Bogleheads! :D

A big thank you to you all :beer

willie838

Post by willie838 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:30 am

Darn.... Missed announcement and sign up. :oops:

Was hoping to make it to my first BH conference.

Add me to the miracle list - as I'm sure many Bogle head members won't be prompt with paperwork and payments Lol :D

--

People looking for activities around the conference should look into seeing if Eastern State Penitentiary is running their Halloween event around this time. It's a fun night and surprisingly intense. During the day it's a great way to spend an afternoon in the original prison in the United States. History fans will enjoy the day, those with strong hearts will enjoy the night show.

Cheers.

brightside

Post by brightside » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:34 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
brightside wrote:Hi Everyone,
I'm one of the newbies who surreptitiously saw the announcement. I actually just joined last Thursday, saw the post Sunday, registered, and sent my check Monday (I'm usually not that quick). Hoping the check arrives in the USPS's allotted "2-7 days" I've been checking my account all week to see if it's cleared.

I'm very excited (more so when I have the confirmation email), headquarters are actually 6 miles from where I grew up.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and I look forward lots of learning in my quest to Be a Better Boglehead.

Retirement for me is not far off, I hope....
b

Welcome to the Forum, brightside!

What a wonderful case of beginner's luck! Enjoy the Forum, the Conference, and your journey to financial independence and retirement.

Victoria

Thank you Victoria, I've been enjoying the forum for awhile now and I hope the journey takes me to the Class of 2018 (or sooner)
-b

Utahdogowner

Post by Utahdogowner » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:40 pm

I'd like a spot x2 on the waitlist.
Thanks,
Utahdogowner.

mind_boggled

Post by mind_boggled » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:20 pm

Peculiar_Investor wrote:As someone who has previously attended and appreciates the advanced email, can I offer another suggestion that I think addresses the issues that occurred this year. For those that have previously attended and might want to come as a group, i.e. some pesky Canadians, this allows some co-ordination once the dates are actually known.

I'd therefore suggest:
  • Continue to announce on the forum the date when registration will open so newcomers know when the registration window opens.
  • Continue to send out the advanced email notice, but cap the registrations at some percentage of capacity, say 66% or 75% or ??, so that it cannot sell out in advance.
In somewhat true Bogleheads spirit, given the distances and costs involved, I'm more likely to attend when Canadian Thanksgiving and the BH Conference dates line-up, as I can combine an annual Canadian Thanksgiving trip to the family cottage with the BH Conference. When there is a week's separation between the two, costs matter and you can probably guess the rest.

I agree the e-mail notice but with a cap is another great solution. Continue doing everything as is (alumni pre-sale, date pre-announcement on forum) but simply have a cap on alumni pre-sale slots. ie 100 pre-sale slots for alumni and thereafter you just have to compete with the general public for the rest.

Also good is just date pre-announcement on forum and let everyone have their best shot on the same day.

Either way I think the pre-announced date should stay. It saves hundreds of people many hours of anxiety and constant checking for several weeks yearly. The net benefit is huge and completely asymmetrical to the tiny amount of effort to make such a pre-announcement post. We all know how mentally draining it is to watch stocks actively and watching for a mystery announcement post feels just as interruptive to my mind the entire month or two until it comes. Research shows this kind of constant checking (whether it be email, social media, phones, etc) is detrimental to attention and overall mental wellbeing (see my links to research below). You can see for yourself the stress it causes is palpable in the responses in every year's announcement related threads (I can already feel stress rising right now thinking of next year which is probably what compelled me to write this) and I don't know any other conference that does it this way. I know the pre-announcement left a bad taste in the organizer's experience this year but please re-consider abandoning it because 1) it was the separate alumni pre-sale that was the actual culprit for the mixup and is solved with either of the above solutions and thus shouldn't add to your stress levels in the future and 2) the broader benefits to a great number of people's attention/stress level I've listed above and below. A pre-announcement of the date seems like a clear win-win.

http://time.com/4274201/uncertainty-stress/
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/stres ... -1.2861722
http://globalnews.ca/news/2601572/frequ ... ion-study/

treypar

Post by treypar » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:38 pm

Fortunately I was able to register. This will be my first time attending the conference. I am looking forward to being there and meeting all of my fellow Bogleheads and the experts. I want to express my thanks to Mel and all of the volunteers involved in working on this conference.

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:48 pm

Peculiar_Investor wrote:As someone who has previously attended and appreciates the advanced email, can I offer another suggestion that I think addresses the issues that occurred this year. For those that have previously attended and might want to come as a group, i.e. some pesky Canadians, this allows some co-ordination once the dates are actually known... I'm more likely to attend when Canadian Thanksgiving and the BH Conference dates line-up, as I can combine an annual Canadian Thanksgiving trip to the family cottage with the BH Conference. When there is a week's separation between the two, costs matter and you can probably guess the rest.

Ditto. I'm another one of those "pesky Canadians" who's attended in the past when the BHC was held during the same week as Canadian Thanksgiving (aka Columbus Day in the US.) In my case it was because I'm usually in PA that weekend so it's easy to extend my travel by a few days for BHC. I'm just saying. I certainly don't expect BHC coordinators to rearrange dates so they work out for me. I appreciate that they have more important considerations. I'm very grateful for all the work they've done to make BHC such a success year after year. Thank you. But I will have to miss y'all again this year.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:19 pm

Bylo Selhi wrote:
Peculiar_Investor wrote:As someone who has previously attended and appreciates the advanced email, can I offer another suggestion that I think addresses the issues that occurred this year. For those that have previously attended and might want to come as a group, i.e. some pesky Canadians, this allows some co-ordination once the dates are actually known... I'm more likely to attend when Canadian Thanksgiving and the BH Conference dates line-up, as I can combine an annual Canadian Thanksgiving trip to the family cottage with the BH Conference. When there is a week's separation between the two, costs matter and you can probably guess the rest.

Ditto. I'm another one of those "pesky Canadians" who's attended in the past when the BHC was held during the same week as Canadian Thanksgiving (aka Columbus Day in the US.) In my case it was because I'm usually in PA that weekend so it's easy to extend my travel by a few days for BHC. I'm just saying. I certainly don't expect BHC coordinators to rearrange dates so they work out for me. I appreciate that they have more important considerations. I'm very grateful for all the work they've done to make BHC such a success year after year. Thank you. But I will have to miss y'all again this year.

I remember Jack saying that he recognized your user name, Bylo.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Carolyn1218

Post by Carolyn1218 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:59 am

Please add me to the wait list.

Also, I'm curious - what is the planned attendance? With so many people on the wait list year after year, what is preventing the group from making the conference larger? I've never attended, so I don't know if there is a reason why so many would-be attendees are left out in the cold.

traveltoomuch

Post by traveltoomuch » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:23 pm

Carolyn1218 wrote:With so many people on the wait list year after year, what is preventing the group from making the conference larger?

Since no one with direct knowledge is answering, I'll guess: unwillingness to switch venues and unwillingness to switch to theater seating (v. banquet seating). They appeared to be using the largest of the spaces available at the 2016 venue and filling it to capacity. Edited to add: there might have been one small ballroom segment closed off with an airwall, but the existing space was already too long for its width which left the back of the room very far from the stage, so opening that section (if it was not open before) is probably a bad idea.

On the whole, the 2016 venue was lovely. Aside from the dimensions, the space was pleasant enough, the F&B was good, the logistics for the off-site trip were reasonable, and the contracted room rates were decent. Given the pains of moving to a new venue, I can understand not wanting to switch venues.

I normally expect that switching from 60/66" rounds to a theater layout almost doubles the capacity of a space, but this venue's planning guide only provides for a modest increase in capacity, so maybe there wouldn't be much to gain from that switch. Switching layouts would also create a problem of where to eat - the group was fed several meals at the venue, and it used the main meeting room as eating space.
Last edited by traveltoomuch on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GCinNC

Post by GCinNC » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:16 pm

Please add 2 to the wait list. Thank you.

OZAR

Post by OZAR » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:29 pm

+1 add to list

diverski

Post by diverski » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:18 pm

please add me to the waitlist

Mountebank

Post by Mountebank » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:41 pm

CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:25 pm

Please put me on the waiting list..

thank you.

M

SR II

Post by SR II » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:45 pm

Carolyn1218 wrote:Please add me to the wait list.

Also, I'm curious - what is the planned attendance? With so many people on the wait list year after year, what is preventing the group from making the conference larger? I've never attended, so I don't know if there is a reason why so many would-be attendees are left out in the cold.

Check out Mel's April 3 reply to the same question.

LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:31 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Two lessons learned:
1. email and forum post will go at the same time next year, and
2. Never again announce an exact date.

Best Regards,

Mel

This is a difficult problem and a right balance has to be struck. As the forum grows more popular there will be more disappointed people in the coming years.

Arranging live video streaming would be great.

Thanks and all the best to the organizers and attendees.
The only problem is Entropy, leading to the eventual heat death of the universe. [Seen on /.]

rick2427

Post by rick2427 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:57 am

Mel and everyone in the Conference organizing committee, thanks for all the hard work you put in to planning the Conference details.

Received the invitation to send in the payment and have mailed it April 12th.....waiting for the confirmation.
Been lurking on this forum for the past year, hoping to retire this summer... so feel really lucky to get a chance to attend the Conference. :happy
Look forward to learning a lot from all!

Best Regards,
Rick

mike_SF

Post by mike_SF » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:37 am

Wow ... traveling for a few weeks ... and missed the opportunity to sign up for my first BH conference.

Well, Mel I would LOVE to be added to the waitlist.

Thanks so much and hope to clear from it!

Annabelle

Post by Annabelle » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:20 pm

I too would very much appreciate being put on the waitlist.

Thank you!

Annabelle

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:24 pm

Waitlist, please!

upsidedownfarm

Post by upsidedownfarm » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:38 am

Please add me to the wait list. Thanks.

WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:19 am

Please add me to the waitlist. I will IMMEDIATELY transfer money to hold my spot :)
Twitter: @JAXbogleheads | EM: JAXbogleheads@gmail.com

crspelln

Post by crspelln » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:12 am

Several people and I have requested to be on the wait list. Is there a way to see my spot on the list?

natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:20 am

How about having the conference somewhere else for a change? Or finding a cheaper venue?

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:40 am

natureexplorer wrote:How about having the conference somewhere else for a change?

To help facilitate Jack Bogle being at the conference, it has been around Philadelphia for the past couple years so he doesn't have to concern himself with traveling. I absolutely loved meeting Jack two years ago and make a whole week out of it, being a tourist in Philly. It is unlikely to move at any time soon.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:59 am

BrandonBogle wrote:
natureexplorer wrote:How about having the conference somewhere else for a change?

To help facilitate Jack Bogle being at the conference, it has been around Philadelphia for the past couple years so he doesn't have to concern himself with traveling. I absolutely loved meeting Jack two years ago and make a whole week out of it, being a tourist in Philly. It is unlikely to move at any time soon.

BrandonBogle is correct. We used to move it around the country, but with Jack's health issues, we've kept it in Philly so he doesn't have to deal with the stress of traveling.

FYI, past conferences have been held in Miami, Chicago, Philly, Denver, Las Vegas, DC, San Diego and Dallas/Ft. Worth.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Lieutenant.Columbo

Post by Lieutenant.Columbo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:37 pm

In case this hasn't been suggested:

can/will/why not streaming the conference online fir those who cannot attend in person?
Lt. Columbo: Well, what do you know. Here I am talking with some of the smartest people in the world, and I didn't even notice!

denalta

Post by denalta » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:19 pm

Please add me to the wait list

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:48 pm

I am so excited! Some poor BogleHead pulled out, and I get to go! So for the person who pulled out, hope you get to go next year.

Off to mail my check.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon May 01, 2017 2:06 pm

Dottie57 wrote:I am so excited! Some poor BogleHead pulled out, and I get to go! So for the person who pulled out, hope you get to go next year.

Off to mail my check.

Congratulations, Dottie! See you ať the conference,
Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

djtunes

Post by djtunes » Wed May 03, 2017 5:02 pm

Waitlist please

Quak90

Post by Quak90 » Mon May 15, 2017 3:26 pm

Please add my name to the waitlist. TY

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Tue May 16, 2017 4:10 pm

Lieutenant.Columbo wrote:can/will/why not streaming the conference online fir those who cannot attend in person?

I would pay for this option too if implemented.

jwillis77373

Post by jwillis77373 » Mon May 29, 2017 3:29 am

I have to budget my trips.. and went to see Berkshires meeting this year. (coencidentally I got to see Jack as well.. and, it was a heart felt event).

I regret being unable to attend this year.. and I am greatful for the opportunity to attend the Bogleheads Conference at least once in my life.

You haven't got to know Jack until you've met him in person... articles and TV (do not) do him justice!

He is uncommon.

Maybe next year, I'll certainly be trying for a slot.

[answer: Could they Stream it?] - I thought something similar, and brought the gear.. but you have to understand the logistics are that everyone pays their way, and bandwidth in Philadelphia is not "free". Also there are serious security implications.. and occasionally people may state things in an inconvenient way.. that should be edited for clarity. Berkshires has only started streaming for the second year.. and its mostly subsidized by Yahoo (which might not continue).. their security is also Top notch.. and they really do try to control the stream such that people aren't accidentally embarassed.. some quite (unfortunate) agendas were put on display regardless of the guidelines for questioners. -- and people who attend are private citizens, even the people on stage, they may not wish to be filmed. I do not speak for anyone who hosts the event.. but on second thought I learned a lot about the realities of streaming from attending both Bogleheads and Berkshires meetings.. it is a very difficult thing to make happen.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:24 pm

jwillis77373 wrote:You haven't got to know Jack until you've met him in person... articles and TV (do not) do him justice!
He is uncommon.
Wow is that the truth! Jack Bogle is the most decent, warm, classy, brilliant, out-spoken, common-sense person we've ever met.
jwillis77373 wrote:re: Could they Stream it? . . . I do not speak for anyone who hosts the event.. but on second thought I learned a lot about the realities of streaming from attending both Bogleheads and Berkshires meetings.. it is a very difficult thing to make happen.
Also, the Boglehead Conference is taped and included in our wiki very quickly, within days of the event - no small feat for VELO724X aka Rich Guerra :D
Last edited by Miriam2 on Mon May 29, 2017 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jwillis77373

Post by jwillis77373 » Mon May 29, 2017 7:24 pm

The Wiki Tapes are a treasure trove of information.. and probably the most appropriate venue in which to safely release that material.

However.. here is a constructive suggestion.

Vanguard really rolled out the Red Carpet treatment for attendees last year, they are on very good terms with Jack once again.

We were bused to the Vanguard campus for a tour and ushered into a theater in which to view and participate in a private conversation with a number of represenatives. Now they may already be planning to build upon this.. they are very smart people.

But if they were to "Stream" only that small event in the evening it might be well worth it.

Its in a controlled setting (lots of lighting and good sound system) and Jack and all the attendees would have the option to attend or not, as it is completely optional.

The general meeting brought out the best and brightest and I think people who might not have been quite as ready to publish things out there on video.. even with more than 200 people.. its still rather intimate. But the Vanguard venue would I think be a more appropriate place to Stream a live cast from. It was only an hour or so.. so viewers at home could certainly sit though that.

Understand this is a very active event, people mix and mingle and share ideas, go out for dinner on their own, attend the general meeting and visit the Vanguard campus (if Vanguard can make that happen at their option). Jack is just buzzing all over the place with people trying to keep up with him.. its Amazing!.. and it left me with very good memories.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Mon May 29, 2017 7:32 pm

jwillis77373 wrote: Understand this is a very active event, people mix and mingle and share ideas, go out for dinner on their own, attend the general meeting and visit the Vanguard campus (if Vanguard can make that happen at their option). Jack is just buzzing all over the place with people trying to keep up with him.. its Amazing!.. and it left me with very good memories.
Indeed, for me, much of the value and fun of the experience of attending the past two conferences came from the informal interactions and conversations that would not have been picked up in a video.

I deliberately refrained from signing up this year because I felt (after attending the last two) that I should make room for others to experience this remarkable gathering.

I do have a *strong* recommendation for first timers. Do not make the mistake of missing the opening wine and cheese reception followed by the facilitated formation of small groups to go out to dinner. The first time I went, my schedule was somewhat constrained so I figured I could arrive on Wednesday evening and still catch all scheduled formal talks (which don't begin until Thursday morning.) The second time I went I realized the value of soaking up all the informal conversations, so I got there in plenty of time, arriving at midday Thursday to allow for some plane delays and make sure I didn't miss anything, (and even connected up with a fellow Boglehead at the Philadelphia Airport, allowing for additional conversation en route from the airport to the conference.)

jwillis77373

Post by jwillis77373 » Mon May 29, 2017 11:56 pm

Very thoughtful Dodecahedron.

Berkshires filled a basketball stadium, and I really think Jack would do so as well.. if they didn't limit it in some fashion.

A great deal of thought goes into keeping the Boglehead Conference small and managable, and thinking about Jack.. its well considered.

One thing keeping it small does is make it easier to screen out possible problems.. you have to be observant and dedicated to get a chance at attending.

Berkshires is so large it was practically unmanageable, they simply had to deal with things "after" they happened. Some laughable, some very serious.. Berkshires event is not an event to attend without due caution... its a full on Sporting event.

Berkshires was also all about reporting on "the past" they could not predict or forecast since that would inhibit their performance in the future. So everything was discussed in generalities. I enjoyed it, it was educational. I think I will go again. But it was "different".

The Boglehead Conference was more about sharing ideas and current events.. and dismissing misconceptions not based on facts. It was more about 'Community' not unlike this Forum.. and was a very warm and comforting event to attend.

I love the idea of the Boglehead Conference moving around the country as it did in the past.. but they are very well organized and very near Vanguard Headquarters.. which has its obvious advantages you can't get anywhere else. Vanguard could organize a roadshow.. but it wouldn't be the same without Jack.

As Spry and Youthful as Jack remains to this day.. (he was looking especially good at Berkshires).. I come to the thought.. Berkshires has a succession plan.. what will Vanguard do in its place? Would Jack nominate someone.. as Warren Buffet has done.. and nominally surrendered Jack Bogle as a proxy in Berkshires place? .. it concerns me.. perhaps only the people who attend these Boglehead Conferences will be the lucky few who heard the undistorted points of view that Jack has... will eventually 'stay the course'.

idle eyes

2017 Boglehead Conference

Post by idle eyes » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:41 am

Is there any thought to providing access to the conference presentations via a webinar? I am uncertain how a first time attender can actually make the registration list.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:15 pm

idle eyes, Welcome! I moved your post into the conference announcement, which is better suited to answer your question.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

vectorizer

Post by vectorizer » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:10 pm

[Forgot that I qualify for the first time this year, having retired from Vanguard at the end of last year.]

vanpan

Post by vanpan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:24 pm

Please add me to the waitlist.

spelhouse04

Post by spelhouse04 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:40 pm

I wish I had discovered this community sooner. Please add me to the waitlist!

simplesauce

Post by simplesauce » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:26 pm

The conference was great!! It was a pleasure to be there. Will the videos be posted soon?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:03 pm

The photographers / videographer will post an announcement in the forum. I'll then put links to the images / videos in the wiki.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

rick2427

Post by rick2427 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:42 am

Thank you so much to all the organizers of this year's Bogleheads Conference :!:
It was an awesome experience to meet other Bogleheads, Boglehead leadership and the living legend Mr. Jack Bogle himself :happy

As Mr. Bogle said "Profitable investing should be like watching the grass grow"!

Regards,
Rick

Jazzman

Post by Jazzman » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:55 am

DITTO!

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:40 pm

Jazzman wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:55 am
DITTO!
Ditto in Spades! And in Hearts,

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)