Bogle Interview CNN - Sat.

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
EvelynTroy

Bogle Interview CNN - Sat.

Post by EvelynTroy »

I wonderful 16 min. interview with Mr. Bogle just completed at CNN - on state of the economy.
Just a pleasure.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2017/03/18 ... conomy.cnn

Evelyn
Ever Ready

Mr. Bogle interviewed on CNN Smerconish

Post by Ever Ready »

[Merged Ever Ready's thread and its replies into this existing thread - moderator prudent]

Mr. Bogle was interviewed on CNN Smerconish this morning. The show will be rebroadcast today at 6:00 pm EDT.
The full interview is on CNN website: Full interview: John C. Bogle on the economy
CyclingDuo

Re: Bogle Interview CNN - Sat.

Post by CyclingDuo »

Excellent, as always. :beer
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
gilgamesh

Re: Mr. Bogle interviewed on CNN Smerconish

Post by gilgamesh »

Thanks!
fishandgolf

Re: Mr. Bogle interviewed on CNN Smerconish

Post by fishandgolf »

I just watched it.....great interview of a very great man. Thanks for posting the link!
Retired1809

Bogle Interview on CNN Today - Link

Post by Retired1809 »

[Merged HikerNC's thread and its replies into this existing thread - moderator prudent]

I hope this doesn't break any rules but I'm posting a link to an excellent interview with Jack Bogle that aired on CNN this morning.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2017/03/18 ... tions.cnn
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

Thank you for posting - it's always a treat to hear Mr. Bogle's practical take on the world.
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
selters

Re: Bogle Interview on CNN Today - Link

Post by selters »

Clickable: http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2017/03/18 ... otions.cnn

Good to see that even though John's getting older, he's still as eloquent as he's always been.
Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 »

selters wrote:Clickable: http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2017/03/18 ... otions.cnn

Good to see that even though John's getting older, he's still as eloquent as he's always been.
A fascinating interview and when it was noted that he had a heart transplant 20 years ago I was surprised..somehow missed that info before now. He's in his late 80s and as wise as ever.
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

Great interview. I loved what he said when asked if he had any regrets about not having made more money from founding Vanguard. It meant he had less to give away to good causes...
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

selters wrote:Clickable: http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2017/03/18 ... otions.cnn

Thank you for the link.

That was an excellent interview, full of wisdom.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
mickeyd

Bogle CNN Interview

Post by mickeyd »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Just ran across this interview. Did not notice if it was posted today.

"By Wall street standards, I'm am idiot"

Classic Bogle.

Staythecourse.

Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
runner9

Re: Bogle CNN Interview

Post by runner9 »

NibbanaBanana

Re: Bogle CNN Interview

Post by NibbanaBanana »

That was one great interview of one great man. Thanks.
cfs

Post by cfs »

Thanks for the link. I like the "uncanny ability to recognize the obvious" part. Thanks for reading ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - I merged mickeyd's thread into here.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
blueblock

Post by blueblock »

I very much enjoyed the interview. Thanks for posting.
snowshoes

Post by snowshoes »

blueblock wrote:I very much enjoyed the interview. Thanks for posting.
:thumbsup me too. That guy, jack is a never before, probably never again type of individual.
Last edited by snowshoes on Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Outstanding interview. Jack is a Great Man.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

Thanks for the link, I thoroughly enjoyed the interview.

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
turnberry72

Post by turnberry72 »

Perhaps time for us Bogleheads to lobby for Jack to get the Congressional Gold Medal or the Medal of Freedom
Certainty is the killer of dreams.
cfs

Post by cfs »

turnberry72 wrote:Perhaps time for us Bogleheads to lobby for Jack to get the Congressional Gold Medal or the Medal of Freedom
Been there done that, see link

viewtopic.php?t=202233

Thanks for reading ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
bostondan

Post by bostondan »

Wow, I had no idea that he was still so sharp! That was an excellent interview.
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” - Elie Wiesel
Ged

Bogle interview by Smerconish

Post by Ged »

Interview of John Bogle by Michael Smerconish.

87 years old and still sharp as a tack.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/18/politics/ ... iew-cnntv/
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^I merged Ged's thread into here.

(To the member who reported the post as "Duplicate thread", thank you.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Good interview. He was sharp, energetic and looked well. I also liked the way that he deflected the high praise given him by Warren Buffett and Paul Samuelson. He definitely is not stuck on himself, which is hugely refreshing. It is really hard not to like him. Hard to believe he is almost 88 years old.
A fool and his money are good for business.
brendavid

Post by brendavid »

Great interview, always get great satisfaction watching and listening to Mr. Bogle. His greatness is only matched by his humility and integrity.
perseus

John C Bogle on Economy

Post by perseus »

Nice 15 minutes of valuable nuggets.
runner9

Re: John C Bogle on Economy

Post by runner9 »

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ FYI - I merged perseus' thread into here.
edge

Post by edge »

Truly a giant. I disagree with him though - he is a hero for putting investors first.

I'm not sure why the media refers to him as a legendary investor, as if he is similar to Buffett. For me he is more of a foundational innovator and businessman who forever changed how Main Street invests.
BeachPerson

Post by BeachPerson »

Jack is looking great!

Speaks so well!!!
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

Pete12 wrote:Great interview. I loved what he said when asked if he had any regrets about not having made more money from founding Vanguard. It meant he had less to give away to good causes...
Of course, the only way for him to have made more money would have been to take it from investors. He did give back, in his own way.

Great job by the interviewer as well as Mr. Bogle.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

edge wrote:Truly a giant. I disagree with him though - he is a hero for putting investors first.

I'm not sure why the media refers to him as a legendary investor, as if he is similar to Buffett. For me he is more of a foundational innovator and businessman who forever changed how Main Street invests.
That's a very good point.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

The giant speaks again! Love this man.
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
carofe

Post by carofe »

Excellent interview, and excellent comments and answers from him. Sometimes the truth is hard to hear.
US Total Stock Market + Intermediate Term Bond. That's it.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Excellent interview bringing out the intelligence, experience, wisdom, and integrity of Jack Bogle. Thanks for the link.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
perseus

Post by perseus »

He also sounded a little ominous on the current market trajectory, and did not sound bullish at all on the current admininstration. Did anybody catch that? If so, will there be a market correction at some point in near future. I know this is irrelevant for bogleheads but just wanted to get some thoughts.
carofe

Post by carofe »

perseus wrote:He also sounded a little ominous on the current market trajectory, and did not sound bullish at all on the current admininstration. Did anybody catch that? If so, will there be a market correction at some point in near future. I know this is irrelevant for bogleheads but just wanted to get some thoughts.
What makes sense to me is that if the speculation is wrong then we will see a correction when bad news start popping up. But if the speculation is right, because of itself, it will have the effect of hiding the good modest returns.
US Total Stock Market + Intermediate Term Bond. That's it.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

EvelynTroy wrote:I wonderful 16 min. interview with Mr. Bogle just completed at CNN - on state of the economy.
Just a pleasure.

Evelyn
Thanks for posting. Very enjoyable. Jack looks a little tired in this video. I hope he is doing well.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Mr. Bogle is the best.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
perseus

Post by perseus »

carofe wrote:
perseus wrote:He also sounded a little ominous on the current market trajectory, and did not sound bullish at all on the current admininstration. Did anybody catch that? If so, will there be a market correction at some point in near future. I know this is irrelevant for bogleheads but just wanted to get some thoughts.
What makes sense to me is that if the speculation is wrong then we will see a correction when bad news start popping up. But if the speculation is right, because of itself, it will have the effect of hiding the good modest returns.
Looks like it is beginning to correct.
CULater

John Bogle interview: is "deep risk" growing?

Post by CULater »

[Thread merged into here, see below (next page). --admin LadyGeek]

Just listened to an interview on CNN with John Bogle, and I was struck by his comments that long-term risks to the economy and markets may be greater than in the past and be growing. William Bernstein refers to long term risk as "deep risk". Deep risk -- as opposed to the shallow risk of market volatility -- is the threat of permanent losses, or at least significant reductions, of long term investment returns.

Toward the end of the interview, he seems to suggest, interestingly, that modern democracy might be a deep risk factor itself, mentioning Brexit as an example, but I won't risk straying into politics by saying any more. You'll need to listen to the interview yourself. Interesting stuff.

http://edition.cnn.com/videos/tv/2017/0 ... conomy.cnn
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
TheTimeLord

Re: John Bogle interview: is "deep risk" growing?

Post by TheTimeLord »

CULater wrote:Just listened to an interview on CNN with John Bogle, and I was struck by his comments that long-term risks to the economy and markets may be greater than in the past and be growing. William Bernstein refers to long term risk as "deep risk". Deep risk -- as opposed to the shallow risk of market volatility -- is the threat of permanent losses, or at least significant reductions, of long term investment returns.

Toward the end of the interview, he seems to suggest, interestingly, that modern democracy might be a deep risk factor itself,
Does he suggest any actions an investor might want to take, because a problem without a proposed solution is basically a distraction.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Mr. Bogle, if you listen to his thoughts over many years, always expresses notes of caution, even long-term caution, so this is nothing new.

I think that is a message to those who always get excited during bull markets and rush into 100% stocks in their portfolio (or those, often on the advice on an adviser of late, say they are 80/20 in equities for good now with great confidence).

And if you look, there have been many of those posts recently.
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

rgs92 wrote:Mr. Bogle, if you listen to his thoughts over many years, always expresses notes of caution, even long-term caution, so this is nothing new.

I think that is a message to those who always get excited during bull markets and rush into 100% stocks in their portfolio [/b](or those, often on the advice on an adviser of late, say they are 80/20 in equities for good now with great confidence).

And if you look, there have been many of those posts recently.

Or those who are nervous Nellie's and sell all their stocks and go to 100% cash.

There has probably been an equal number of OP’s asking what they should do with all the cash they’ve been sitting on the sidelines with (waiting for a correction to get back into stocks).

And then there are the true Bogleheads who have a sleep at night investment plan with which they can stay the course.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Amen Minesweep. :)
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

TheTimeLord wrote:
CULater wrote:Just listened to an interview on CNN with John Bogle, and I was struck by his comments that long-term risks to the economy and markets may be greater than in the past and be growing. William Bernstein refers to long term risk as "deep risk". Deep risk -- as opposed to the shallow risk of market volatility -- is the threat of permanent losses, or at least significant reductions, of long term investment returns.

Toward the end of the interview, he seems to suggest, interestingly, that modern democracy might be a deep risk factor itself,
Does he suggest any actions an investor might want to take, because a problem without a proposed solution is basically a distraction.
I'm sure Bogle is speaking about international markets and countries, because the corollary to his recommendation to invest solely in Total U.S. Market for equities is that he doesn't believe political risk can show up in the U.S.

cue International vs. US stocks debate in 3...2...1..

(I am being facetious)
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
Evidence Investor

Post by Evidence Investor »

This is a great interview so thanks for sharing. I think one of the best things about Jack Bogle is his steady personality that does not get too enthusiastic or too down over anything. Staying balanced with a reasonable asset allocation and following it for the long run, ignoring the noise of the crowd telling an investor to do this or that based on the latest news report is what makes his work so simple yet so profound. In this community we are devotees of his work, but in reality every single investor owes him a debt of gratitude for what he has accomplished and what he has and will continue to contribute to the world. He is a great American and a great human being.
harvestbook

Post by harvestbook »

I'd consider you extremely complacent if you believe there is absolute, eternal certainty in the US. All empires fall, it's just a question of when. In my mind, these last few decades show a course of increasing inability to govern ourselves. Sure, we appear safer than most countries, but collapses are never circled on the calendar. And, of course, if our government falls or we are conquered, we have far bigger problems than our holdings in the stock market or our worthless bonds.

That said, one can only worry about what one can control, so I will stay diversified globally and have some canned beans on hand.
I'm not smart enough to know, and I can't afford to guess.