Don't let your political views impact your investment strategy

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
larryswedroe

Don't let your political views impact your investment strategy

Post by larryswedroe »

http://www.etf.com/sections/index-inves ... -investing

Even I have been surprised at how much of an impact this has had on investor perceptions of market outlook.

Hope you find it helpful
Larry
nedsaid

Re: Don't let your political views impact your investment strategy

Post by nedsaid »

This is a good lesson for investors to examine their personal beliefs and biases. It is also a good lesson that markets often don't react to events as we would expect.
A fool and his money are good for business.
Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor »

I'm not surprised at the influence politics has on investing. However, it is a little difficult to tease out where political beliefs stop and market concerns start.

Many of us have aged during this incredibly long bull market (while some seem to have stayed perpetually young)! For some of us, we're much closer to retirement and our financial gains surpassed our expectations long ago. Does it make me nervous that this bull market is reaching its 8th year? Yes. So I take a good look at where my portfolio is and decide that I don't need such a high equity allocation. That's not necessarily because of the political climate, but because my goals have been surpassed and I don't need to take that much risk now. So there may be other factors influencing those survey results.

All of that said, I've heard more conversations with patients and acquaintances about moving assets to Zurich than I ever could have imagined, so your article could very well be on target.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

nedsaid wrote:This is a good lesson for investors to examine their personal beliefs and biases. It is also a good lesson that markets often don't react to events as we would expect.
Agreed. Well said, "nedsaid".
Personal beliefs, biases, and political views, feed the "ego" which clouds judgement and reactions.
Thanks for posting the article, "Larry". It's a good one to remember.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

No matter the cause or nature of our biases, the big challenge is how to deal with them. As you say, awareness is the first step:
Unfortunately, investors often make mistakes with their money because they aren’t aware of how decisions can be influenced by their beliefs and biases. The first step to eliminating—or at least minimizing—mistakes is to become cognizant of how our financial decisions are affected by our views, and then how those views can influence outcomes. Being aware of your biases and acting accordingly can help you make better investment decisions.
But the next steps, knowing "how those views can influence outcomes" and then "acting accordingly," has, for me at least, always been the hard part.

Thanks for the good article.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Another detail is that even if you're more or less right about everything, the time lag between public policy and going into effect and seeing the results in the financial markets is both very long, and very loose.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Sbashore

Post by Sbashore »

I have seen the impact of people's political views on investing over the years. Sometimes not understanding something leads one to have a distorted view of economics and investing.
Steve | Semper Fi
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

Perhaps investing abroad helps to lessen the influence of political bias skewing one's investment strategy?

Home country bias I think is very relevant in this type of situation. I tend to think people aren't as swayed to change their investment strategy based on the politics of foreign nations as they are with their own country's politics.
billyv

Post by billyv »

I think most of us would be healthier and happier human beings -- not just better investors -- if we could dial back the politics. Unfortunately, that's easier said than done, especially now that politics has become such a non-stop 24/7 spectacle.
Index Fan

Post by Index Fan »

Excellent advice. Thanks, Larry.
"Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis." | -Seneca
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

Very timely piece with good advice. I would agree with artsdoc that it's hard to know if concern over investing is due to the long bull market or our unique political environment. Times like these make this forum even more important than ever.
Svensk Anga

Post by Svensk Anga »

nisiprius wrote:Another detail is that even if you're more or less right about everything, the time lag between public policy and going into effect and seeing the results in the financial markets is both very long, and very loose.
I think the time lag from policy proposal to financial market reaction is nil. The market anticipates. The market today seems to have baked in all kinds of stimulative effects of the new administration's policy proposals. We run the risk of the market running ahead of reality and perhaps being disappointed if that reality does not shape up to expectations.

Maybe if the policy changes are enduring and effective, in the long run growth in corporate profits and thus stock returns might be higher than otherwise. But by then it will be hard to assign cause to the effect.
Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking »

Recently read that defense industry stocks have risen significantly more than the remainder of the S&P 500. May be a current example of speculation based on politics. TSM returns benefit without the risk of speculation.

DMW
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an off-topic (political) post. As a reminder, see: Unacceptable Topics
Politics and Religion

In order to avoid the inevitable frictions that arise from these topics, political or religious posts and comments are prohibited. The only exceptions to this rule are:
  • Common religious expressions such as sending your prayers to an ailing member.
  • Usage of factual and non-derogatory political labels when necessary to the discussion at hand.
  • Discussions about enacted laws or regulations that affect the individual investor. Note that discussions of proposed legislation are prohibited.
  • Proposed regulations that are directly related to investing may be discussed if and when they are published for public comments.
Please state your comments in a factual manner.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

Dead Man Walking wrote:Recently read that defense industry stocks have risen significantly more than the remainder of the S&P 500. May be a current example of speculation based on politics. TSM returns benefit without the risk of speculation.

DMW
I would not call this "speculation based on politics." I would call it "the market factoring in all known information and expectations."
columbia

Post by columbia »

I assume that a pretty common version is buying gold.
SGM

Post by SGM »

I don't let politics get in the way of investing. I do think politicians can have some effect on tax rate changes, interest rates and some other factors up to a point. Even presidents have only a limited impact on the markets.

Where else were investors going to go when interest rates were so low, but in the stock market. If corporate rates go down it is logical that more funds will be available to hire employees. But if rates go up then stocks will be less desirable. I am not trying to make predictions, just saying it is very complex.
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

This is excellent advice.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I learned many years ago (thank to Jack Bogle and the Bogleheads) not to let politics impact our low cost and index investing strategy.

Best.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

larryswedroe wrote:http://www.etf.com/sections/index-inves ... -investing

Even I have been surprised at how much of an impact this has had on investor perceptions of market outlook.

Hope you find it helpful
Larry
I agree with the article, but I disagree with one of the supporting points.

In the article, you mention that those who sold after the election "missed the bull market" .

The problem is that this is really looking over a very short time span of just 4 months. Prices may be rising, but I don't see
fundamentals that would explain the rise.

The S&P 500 has risen by about 10%, but so has the P/E ratio. So the earnings have stayed the same, the price has just gone up.
That is just pure speculation.

I'm still buying, so I'm not sure I like that. I'm fine with prices rising when earnings rise, but not when they rise for no underlying reason.
Investors are assuming that future earnings will be higher, so that they are willing to pay more for equities. The only other explanation
is just unwarranted exuberance. (I won't say irrational.)
rob

Post by rob »

I find this funny in a way... It never occurred to me to change anything in my investment plan based on the election. Maybe it just shows how little I think of politics or maybe I have figured out how to separate investments from current events. Good topic as a reminder though....
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

More good clips from the article:
It’s important to understand that, if you sell, unfortunately, there’s never a green flag that will tell you when it is safe to get back in. Never. Thus, the strategy most likely to allow you to achieve your goals is to have a plan that anticipates that there will be problems, and to not take more risk than you have the ability, willingness and need to take. Lastly, don’t pay attention to the news if doing so will cause your political beliefs to influence your investment decisions.

. . . The bottom line is that, just as you shouldn’t let the latest economic news cause you to abandon a well-developed financial plan and shift your asset allocation, you shouldn’t let the political climate do so either. As the “Oracle of Omaha” Warren Buffett stated in Berkshire Hathaway’s 1996 annual report, “Inactivity strikes us as intelligent behavior.”
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

+1 @ artsdoctor,
Our high fee, VAs, have doubled since their late 2008 purchase plus I also taken out 5% in late 2016.
My primary trading account has more than doubled since 2012.
Health issues 2016 and into 2017.
I'm taking a breather to reevaluate. We have more than enough. 66/69yo. :moneybag but not enough to suffer a bad correction :annoyed
YMMV :greedy
and Good Luck. :beer
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

MathWizard wrote: I agree with the article, but I disagree with one of the supporting points.

In the article, you mention that those who sold after the election "missed the bull market" .

The problem is that this is really looking over a very short time span of just 4 months. Prices may be rising, but I don't see
The market is priced on perceptions of future earnings. Those perceptions apparently have risen, as evidenced by the rise in prices. Perceptions can change much more rapidly than the realization of those perceptions.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Johnnie

Post by Johnnie »

nisiprius wrote:Another detail is that even if you're more or less right about everything, the time lag between public policy and going into effect and seeing the results in the financial markets is both very long, and very loose.
OTOH, the time lag between a market psychology/expectations swing - a' la' 11/8/16 - and big market move can be measured in hours or even minutes!

~~~~~~~~~

In the current moment fellow bogleheads should also be aware that the tortuous "sausage making" process of enacting big policy changes through congress is another source of big mood swings, predictions of doom, etc. You're seeing that on Obamacare now, and it will be the same on taxes pretty soon. Importantly in such events, those who are talking don't know, and those who know aren't talking - and they are all operating in an environment of deep uncertainty.

But you would be ill-advised to take counsel of the doom-sayers and assume it will collapse - it almost surely won't. One could apply the thing they say about democracy to this slice of it: The worst system except for all the others.
"I know nothing."
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

bertilak wrote:
MathWizard wrote: I agree with the article, but I disagree with one of the supporting points.

The market is priced on perceptions of future earnings. Those perceptions apparently have risen, as evidenced by the rise in prices. Perceptions can change much more rapidly than the realization of those perceptions.
Yes, but perceptions can be mirages.

If anything has changed economically, my guess is that the uncertainty in outcomes has risen greatly. This should put a downward pressure on equity prices. I'm not worried about the politics, I just want a coherent message. I'm not hearing it.
Yohanson

Post by Yohanson »

Good advice! I have very strong political beliefs but I have always been long term overall bullish on the markets. Even if I thought the party in power was going to be bad for the economy, I knew that it would soon pass. So, I keep putting money in every paycheck and have without fail for over 25 years.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

MathWizard wrote:Yes, but perceptions can be mirages.
Certainly, but the point is that they drive behavior, be they accurate or not. This is true everywhere, not just in the stock market.

The very title of this thread is a warning to be aware of this and to be cautious in your reactions. Mr. Market's perceptions may not be the same as your own and Mr. Market's perceptions are the ones that count.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
thevigilante

Post by thevigilante »

Could just as easily have said "Don't let your political views impact your [anything but vote]" and been equally as true! Good article.

Even if you accept the position that the increased influence of one political party or another is directly beneficial to the market, you shouldn't be basing your personal financial decisions on who is elected. It should have been factored in to the risk you were willing to take:
It’s important to understand that, if you sell, unfortunately, there’s never a green flag that will tell you when it is safe to get back in. Never. Thus, the strategy most likely to allow you to achieve your goals is to have a plan that anticipates that there will be problems, and to not take more risk than you have the ability, willingness and need to take.