Great Portfolio Analzer

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
capgain22

Great Portfolio Analzer

Post by capgain22 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:49 pm

I promise, this is NOT an ad.

I've tried many, many asset allocation tools, but none has come close to the one that's free on Personal Capital.
This tool
1. Imports your info from major brokerages (Very helpful if you have lots of individual holdings at different brokerages)
It also updates it each time you log in.
2. Automatically categorizes your assets into the different asset allocation categories and subcategories
3. With funds or ETF's will separate the fund's investments and put it into the correct category.
4. Displays it in graphic form in a very readable and interactive format

Amazing.

Prior to finding this I also enjoyed the Schwab "Portfolio Checkup"

CyclingDuo

Re: Great Portfolio Analzer

Post by CyclingDuo » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:02 pm

capgain22 wrote:I promise, this is NOT an ad.

I've tried many, many asset allocation tools, but none has come close to the one that's free on Personal Capital.
This tool
1. Imports your info from major brokerages (Very helpful if you have lots of individual holdings at different brokerages)
2. Automatically categorizes your assets into the different asset allocation categories and subcategories
3. With funds or ETF's will separate the fund's investments and put it into the correct category.

Amazing.

It's good, I agree.

I find Vanguard website does a very nice job as well even though you have to manually enter all of the information for investments held outside of Vanguard. In fact, in terms of breaking it all down Personal Capital gets a bit confused on certain investments in our portfolio in terms of how to categorize them (especially Funds and ETF's). It just tosses a lot of things that are clearly bond funds, or international funds, etc... into the category of "other" so you don't get the true AA percentages figure. Vanguard does a better job of getting the AA defined - IMO - when it comes to Funds and ETF's.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:17 pm

I'm hoping my portfolio wont be analzed for at least another 3 years. 2008 still smarts.

I will check out Personal Capital, though.

JT

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:19 pm

Some screen captures of the tool in 2015:
viewtopic.php?p=2328668#p2328668

The thread shows other tools, too.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:23 pm

(Very helpful if you have lots of individual holdings at different brokerages)
capgain22:

If that's your situation, read my "Simplicity" link below.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

dad2000

Post by dad2000 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:36 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
capgain22:

Best wishes.
Taylor
Unfortunately, our tax and legal systems don't allow for simplicity and tax-efficiency. And you can't choose where your employer sets up their accounts.

We have taxable, his 401k, her 401k, solo 401k, IRA, Roth IRA, employer HSA, investment HSA, 529s, I-bonds, trust accounts...

And I'm guessing this is fairly common among Bogleheads.

JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:47 pm

bottlecap wrote:I'm hoping my portfolio wont be analzed for at least another 3 years. 2008 still smarts.

I will check out Personal Capital, though.

JT
Analzer/analzed verb
to be shafted in market crash

I like, I like!
Edit Signature

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:47 pm

dad2000 wrote:
Taylor Larimore wrote:
capgain22:

Best wishes.
Taylor
Unfortunately, our tax and legal systems don't allow for simplicity and tax-efficiency. And you can't choose where your employer sets up their accounts.

We have taxable, his 401k, her 401k, solo 401k, IRA, Roth IRA, employer HSA, investment HSA, 529s, I-bonds, trust accounts...

And I'm guessing this is fairly common among Bogleheads.
Yes! Bingo for dual income households with all the separate retirement accounts, employer plans, change of jobs creating even more accounts, and on and on. The online aggregate apps help track it all, and give a good idea of the allocation balance. Plenty on the BH boards are in the same type of boat.

Theoretical

Post by Theoretical » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:47 am

Fidelity's Guided Portfolio System is really good.

mhc

Post by mhc » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:08 am

capgain22 wrote:I promise, this is NOT an ad.

This tool

Amazing.

Does it handle CITs. Many 401Ks use CITs, which seem to give these types of tools problems.

aude

Post by aude » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:16 am

When I tried the service it came with a call from a pushy salesman who called wanting to manage my investments. I get it. It's a free tool. I cancelled.

Waban2000

Post by Waban2000 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:46 am

I also like vanguard the best.

Wrt personal capital
I don't like getting unsolicited phone calls
Or giving other sites access to my financial account passwords.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:50 am

aude wrote:When I tried the service it came with a call from a pushy salesman who called wanting to manage my investments. I get it. It's a free tool. I cancelled.
No need to answer the phone. :D Yes, it has been spoken about on many threads about the obligatory call from Personal Capital. Just tell them you have no interest in their services - or don't answer the phone from any out of area code numbers that you don't recognize. :sharebeer

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:38 am

Yes, they will try to talk you into letting them manage your assets. They do take no for an answer and you don't lose the free analyzer. I have a Boglehead portfolio of Vanguard index funds and actively managed Wellesley and Intermediate Investment Grade bond fund. I don't hold any foreign bond funds, yet Personal Capital says I am overweight foreign bonds. Contradicts Vanguard that says I should add foreign bonds. My biggest shortcoming according to Personal Capital is that I am underweight Alternatives. They consider REITs and commodities alternatives. I hold market weight REITs in my index funds and have no desire to hold commodities. They use ETF DBC for commodities. If I recall they want about 85 basis points to manage your portfolio which they use sector diversification with ETFs and individual stocks. Cost may vary based on account size. Occasionally I login to look at the free stuff but will never turn over the reigns to them.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:14 pm

I gave it a shot a while back, I check in from time to time.

The problem is that the bank that holds my banking accounts and my rental property mortgages (both companies) are not attached to Personal Capital. It also doesn't have my HSA.

So, it's worthless to me, except in the very narrow case of confirm that my 2 fund low cost index fund is indeed the same two holdings that I thought they were and they are returning the same amount that they say they are (gee thanks!)

Mint.com is far superior.

Getting on my soapbox, if you're using a tool like that on a regular basis to see your ups and downs your portfolio isn't bogleheaded enough yet.
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:54 pm

This thread is now in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (general investing).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

invst65

Post by invst65 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:10 pm

Their retirement planner is good too. But I'm still not going to spend $30k/year more now that I'm retired even though it says I can.

Does the best job of breaking down by asset allocation of any that I have seen. Too many of them end up with a great big slice of the pie for "Unknown".

Also nicely analyzes all the fees you are paying.

Like others have said, they will call you but they do take no for an answer.