Paul Kangas passed away

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
davidkw

Paul Kangas passed away

Post by davidkw » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:14 pm

Paul Kangas

The Nightly Business Report did a nice tribute to him at the end of the show. I always enjoyed watching Paul anchor the NBR show.
David | | From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"

linenfort

Re: Paul Kangas passed away

Post by linenfort » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:31 pm

Saw that, too, and immediately put him in my sig. I miss Paul and Susie as hosts.
bogleheads, don't knock state lotteries. They helped defund the mafia.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:33 pm

My father, who had no interest in any "investment" other than bank CD's for probably the first 35 years of his adulthood, started watching Paul Kangas on PBS for a few years and somehow became interested in investing in equities as a result. Looking at how his risk-appropriate portfolio has risen since then, he is thankful for Paul Kangas and mentions it often. Rest in peace, Paul Kangas.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:40 pm

I watched Paul Kangas for years on Nightly Business Report. It is sad to know that he has passed away.
A fool and his money are good for business.

DG99999

Post by DG99999 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:19 pm

Loved watching Paul Kangas - besides being eminently professional and competent, he was just a great character. He also always seemed to project an aura of "common decency" and the tributes coming out seem to suggest that was genuine. And, of course, the sign-off pun was just such a hoot:

“I’m Paul Kangas, wishing all of you the best of good buys.” (don't forget the accompanying finger salute!)
I am not a financial professional. My posts are only my opinion on the topic. You need to do your own due diligence and consult with a professional when addressing your financial questions.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:44 pm

Sorry to see him go. I watched him regularly since '82, the start of the great bull market. And I used to hear him on the radio before that.
De gustibus non est disputandum.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:54 pm

I miss the team of Paul and Susie.

The current team of "I don't remember their names" is not worth watching.

johnz1001

Post by johnz1001 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:42 pm

HueyLD wrote:I miss the team of Paul and Susie.

+1

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:50 pm

HueyLD wrote:I miss the team of Paul and Susie.

It's quite interesting: I didn't watch the old show very often because I was usually at work or driving home from work. But I watched it often enough that I knew execatly who Paul Kansas was when I came across this thread on the boglehead homepage.

Compare that to the replacement team. Now that i work from home, I sometimes watch part of the show as a lead-in to the News Hour that follows. But I have no idea who the hosts are.

RIP, Paul!

PortAlice

Post by PortAlice » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:52 pm

NBR was one of the first shows, along with WS Week, that I watched as I became more interested in investing. A toast ... :beer

mindboggling

Post by mindboggling » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:55 pm

Yes, I remember him from NBR. Great broadcast voice, flawless delivery, yet somehow he seemed trustworthy and a nice guy to boot. Sad to hear of his passing.

steve
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson

Tom1320

Post by Tom1320 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:27 pm

mindboggling wrote:Yes, I remember him from NBR. Great broadcast voice, flawless delivery, yet somehow he seemed trustworthy and a nice guy to boot. Sad to hear of his passing.

steve
+1 on the voice and delivery and persona. NBR was also the first finance show I watched as a younger lad. Reading the article, it seems like he was a very kind man.
"And this, too, shall pass away." How much it expresses! How chastening in the hour of pride! How consoling in the depths of affliction! - Our 16th President

MarkNYC

Post by MarkNYC » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:43 pm

Tom1320 wrote:
mindboggling wrote:Yes, I remember him from NBR. Great broadcast voice, flawless delivery, yet somehow he seemed trustworthy and a nice guy to boot. Sad to hear of his passing.

steve
+1 on the voice and delivery and persona.
I agree the voice and delivery were exceptional - clear, crisp, never a hesitation or stumble.

For some reason, I still remember a quip he made when brokerage firms first starting opening branches in department stores (eg Dean Witter opened offices in Sears Roebuck stores). He said "Now, not only can you buy your stocks where you buy your socks, but you can get your money market reward at Montgy Ward."

SeeMoe

Post by SeeMoe » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:21 pm

Paul and Louis Reukyser of PBS were directly responsible for us beginning our investment programs back in the early 1980's. Both are missed very much.

SeeMoe :(
"By gnawing through a dike, even a Rat can destroy a nation ." {Edmund Burke}

SeeMoe

Post by SeeMoe » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:33 pm

linenfort wrote:Saw that, too, and immediately put him in my sig. I miss Paul and Susie as hosts.
Oh, how about " Cassie" Sybert too? A real beauty and foil for Paul as I recall....

SeeMoe.. :P
"By gnawing through a dike, even a Rat can destroy a nation ." {Edmund Burke}

SGM

Re: Paul Kangas passed awayB

Post by SGM » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:38 pm

SeeMoe wrote:Paul and Louis Reukyser of PBS were directly responsible for us beginning our investment programs back in the early 1980's. Both are missed very much.
Both of these gentlemen were quite influential and there shows had an entertainment and educational component.

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:56 pm

I have fond memories of watching Paul Kangas on NBR with my Dad when I was a kid.

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:10 pm

PortAlice wrote:NBR was one of the first shows, along with WS Week, that I watched as I became more interested in investing. A toast ... :beer
Same here. Those shows were a ritual for me.

Who was the other host in the 1980s who kinda looked like Kangas?

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:21 pm

PortAlice wrote:NBR was one of the first shows, along with WS Week, that I watched as I became more interested in investing. A toast ... :beer
Same here.

:beer

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:36 pm

SeeMoe wrote:
linenfort wrote:Saw that, too, and immediately put him in my sig. I miss Paul and Susie as hosts.
Oh, how about " Cassie" Sybert too? A real beauty and foil for Paul as I recall....

It's Seifert, Cassie Seifert.

http://wp.nbr.com/history
De gustibus non est disputandum.

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:38 pm

I'm sorry to read this. He always seemed, as others have said, a decent honest man.

I still miss Louis Rukeyser. And Peter Jennings, to stray somewhat a field. We seem to have a dearth of trustworthy commentators/journalists.

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:44 pm

Nicolas wrote:
SeeMoe wrote:

It's Seifert, Cassie Seifert.

http://wp.nbr.com/history
Before my time, I think.
bogleheads, don't knock state lotteries. They helped defund the mafia.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:16 pm

mouses wrote:I'm sorry to read this. He always seemed, as others have said, a decent honest man.

I still miss Louis Rukeyser. And Peter Jennings, to stray somewhat a field. We seem to have a dearth of trustworthy commentators/journalists.
Aye, always liked Peter Jennings.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Good Listener

Post by Good Listener » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:38 pm

May he rest in peace. He was a fine and decent and non-political and non-biased man. An honest man. Now at 64 and counting... :happy you know what?.....We all will rest in peace hopefully one day, so live your life in a way that makes you worthy of that. Morbid I guess, but I think about these things now that I have retired.