Fidelity drops equity trade fee to $4.95

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
MisterBill

Fidelity drops equity trade fee to $4.95

Post by MisterBill »

I went into the Fidelity app this evening and was greeted by an alert telling me that they had lowered the equity trade fee to $4.95.

Details in USA Today here: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/mar ... /98502160/

I checked the Fidelity site https://www.fidelity.com/why-fidelity/trading and the same 91 iShares/Fidelity ETFs that were free are still free (I was wondering if that was a "gotcha", but it's not).

Competition is a good thing :). Of course, Merrill Edge is still better if you keep $50k/$100k in the account and qualify for free trades under BofA Preferred Rewards.
CyclingDuo

Re: Fidelity drops equity trade fee to $4.95

Post by CyclingDuo »

MisterBill wrote:I went into the Fidelity app this evening and was greeted by an alert telling me that they had lowered the equity trade fee to $4.95.

Details in USA Today here: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/mar ... /98502160/

I checked the Fidelity site https://www.fidelity.com/why-fidelity/trading and the same 91 iShares/Fidelity ETFs that were free are still free (I was wondering if that was a "gotcha", but it's not).

Competition is a good thing :). Of course, Merrill Edge is still better if you keep $50k/$100k in the account and qualify for free trades under BofA Preferred Rewards.
We saw that late last night online as well! :moneybag Lower trades, lower options trades, lower margin rates, lower ER fees, etc. all help.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fidelity ... 05582.html
"For us, this is a real commitment to being the undisputed value leader," he said. .... Fidelity hopes young investors, among others, will be attracted to its lower fees. "Millennials are starting to come into the market, and they represent a huge customer segment for the future," Subramaniam said. Last year, the company launched Fidelity Go, a robo-adviser catering to "digital first" investors.
Kudos to the industry waking up and slashing costs.
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
investordoc

Post by investordoc »

They also have an offer for 300/500 free trades if you open a NEW account or transfer into an EXISTING account of $50,000 or $100,000. The free trades are good for two years. FYI
It is what it is until it isn't anymore
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

So what? Lots of places have free trades for the things that one should want to buy. And that includes Fidelity.

In other words, $4.95 is still a rip off.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

livesoft wrote:So what? Lots of places have free trades for the things that one should want to buy. And that includes Fidelity.

Its all relative.When I started investing almost 50 years, commissions were probably $50 on average and varied based on the number of shares and total value of the trade. That was more than a days wages for a lot of folks. And bid -ask quotes always used fractions (25 1/4 bid - 25 3/4 ask as an example) Now that was a ripoff.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

pshonore wrote:
livesoft wrote:So what? Lots of places have free trades for the things that one should want to buy. And that includes Fidelity.

Its all relative.When I started investing almost 50 years, commissions were probably $50 on average and varied based on the number of shares and total value of the trade. That was more than a days wages for a lot of folks. And bid -ask quotes always used fractions (25 1/4 bid - 25 3/4 ask as an example) Now that was a ripoff.
If I mark up a service ∞% for you and rebate you $5, I'm still ripping you off ;-)
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
Theoretical

Post by Theoretical »

This is incredibly good for investors, because it makes it even more indifferent whose brokerage you use for your investments, particularly if there's a gap in commission-free coverage for one category you're investing in. In addition, for those of us with taxable investments, this makes tax loss harvesting, including during the very choppy times of late 2015/early 2016, much easier on the wallet.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I'm a Fidelity customer since the 1980s and it makes no difference to me. It might be detrimental to many customers who didn't pay for trading at all because they used mutual funds and no-commission ETFs. Now they may be coaxed into actually paying a commission.

The price drop seems more designed to create social media buzz (advertising) than any real benefit to customers.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

And Schwab just announced the same, effective March 3. A copy of today's press release:

http://pressroom.aboutschwab.com/press- ... s-contract

It may be small or token dollars, but every little bit helps. Fidelity, now it's your turn, do I hear $2.95? :sharebeer
Fclevz

Post by Fclevz »

DetroitRick wrote:And Schwab just announced the same, effective March 3. A copy of today's press release:

It may be small or token dollars, but every little bit helps. Fidelity, now it's your turn, do I hear $2.95? :sharebeer
That same press release also mentions a drop for Schwab index funds:
  • As previously announced, starting tomorrow, expenses for the Schwab market cap-weighted index mutual funds will be lowered, their investment minimums will be eliminated3, and the use of a single share class will ensure that even the smallest investor can invest at low costs historically available only to large institutions.

Schwab® S&P 500 Index Fund 0.03%
jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb »

Many on here do buy individual stocks, either as a real part of their portfolio (how un-Boglehead of them!) or as a small pot of play money. For those who don't want to set aside $25,000 or $50,000 or $100,000 to get commission free trades, this is indeed good news.
Last edited by jrbdmb on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb »

MisterBill wrote:I went into the Fidelity app this evening and was greeted by an alert telling me that they had lowered the equity trade fee to $4.95.

I see the above mentioned many times, and I thought I'd point out another option - 30 free Merrill Edge trades per month if you have $25,000 invested in either a Merrill Edge account (cash balance) or a Bank of America deposit account. This is separate from the Preferred Rewards bonuses. I've done this deal so my son can learn investing in low priced stocks while I try to gradually convert him to the Boglehead philosophy. :)
FinanceGeek

Post by FinanceGeek »

I don't trade often, so a $3 savings on commission is not significant. Not getting a good price execution versus current bid/ask can easily wind up costing more than the commission...
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

To me, more than this it would be helpful if the big three (or four or five) offered fixed mutual fund trades on our (customer) schedule. For instance, Schwab's automatic investment plan (AIP) invests only on 5th and/or 20th of the month. If I wished to automate for 4th and/or 19th, I'm out of luck. Do any of the major firms offer this (and can this somehow be done with Schwab as well that I am unaware of)?
powermega

Post by powermega »

I don't see how outfits like Scottrade and E*Trade can survive. $5/trade is super cheap.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

powermega wrote:I don't see how outfits like Scottrade and E*Trade can survive. $5/trade is super cheap.
I think one of those has already sold itself to a major.
PFInterest

Post by PFInterest »

4.95 is still not zero.
jwfrazier

Post by jwfrazier »

Nice... One month too late for them. I just switched my main brokerage account over to Merrill Edge for free trades, and the awesome rewards card, and $500 cash for $100,000 assets. Still have my ROTH at Fidelity though, so this is appreciated, even though I don't trade much.
wander

Post by wander »

It's good for investors. But, I don't think it help me much since I enjoy 100 free trade at WF.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

wander wrote:It's good for investors. But, I don't think it help me much since I enjoy 100 free trade at WF.
Somebody will probably end up throwing in an unlimited data plan as well. 8-)
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb »

wander wrote:It's good for investors. But, I don't think it help me much since I enjoy 100 free trade at WF.
I keep hoping that TD Ameritrade will offer a similar deal since I already do most of my banking at TD, but so far no such luck. So I've parked $25,000 at BoA to get 30 free trades / month at Merrill Edge (100 free would be better, but not for the $100,000 balance requirement).

And I agree with the comment below, $9.95 at TD Ameritrade was already noncompetitive, now it is just ridiculous.
Last edited by jrbdmb on Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theoretical

Post by Theoretical »

Now, I'll be shocked if Ameritrade doesn't lower its commission fee after its two big rivals have just done this.
aqan

Post by aqan »

PFInterest wrote:4.95 is still not zero.
if the cost is zero you'll have no idea how much you're paying via the hidden costs.
goingup

Post by goingup »

How much annually are you folks paying in trading fees? I really had no idea people on this forum were paying fees. What a revenue boon for these investment firms. Seems like chasing low ERs could become irrelevant pretty quickly as the fees add up. :shock:
Theoretical

Post by Theoretical »

It's really more of an issue for us slice-n-dicers, and to a lesser degree, folks with significant taxable accounts who do tax loss harvesting. If you're a 3Funder, then there's really no excuse at all to ever pay commissions.
starsfan18

Post by starsfan18 »

I don't understand some of the criticism in this thread. How aren't lower fees better? I pay commissions to Fidelity up to six times a year for RSU and ESPP trades. Why am I supposed to be cynical now that they've reduced the commission I'll pay by nearly 38%?
sharpjm

Post by sharpjm »

powermega wrote:I don't see how outfits like Scottrade and E*Trade can survive. $5/trade is super cheap.
Options house / trade king has had $5 trades for years and they didn't seem to be phased by it.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

The only time I've paid transaction fees recently was when Tradeking had their $200/3k deposit bonus (not available anymore). You were required to make three trades to get it.
malabargold

Post by malabargold »

I wouldn't use M-L if they paid me.

The bastion of high fees and fighting fiduciary rules
for far too long.
goingup

Post by goingup »

Theoretical wrote:It's really more of an issue for us slice-n-dicers, and to a lesser degree, folks with significant taxable accounts who do tax loss harvesting. If you're a 3Funder, then there's really no excuse at all to ever pay commissions.
Folks with significant taxable accounts should especially never pay fees.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

malabargold wrote:I wouldn't use M-L if they paid me.

for far too long.
I don't know of any bogleheads who use M-L. Many use M-E though, because there are no fees and you can qualify for 30-100 free trades per month.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

for far too long.
We're talking Merrill Edge. That's a great discount brokerage.
G-Force

Post by G-Force »

DetroitRick wrote:And Schwab just announced the same, effective March 3. A copy of today's press release:

Wow, it took Schwab less than a day to respond even after lowering their commissions to $6.95/trade earlier this month.
Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth »

It would be nice if all brokerages had a certain number of free trades per month with qualifying balance that isn't too astronomical, say 250k or even 500k. Having to jump through the checking account hoop at Merrill Edge for a number of free trades is something I would rather not deal with.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

Longtermgrowth wrote:It would be nice if all brokerages had a certain number of free trades per month with qualifying balance that isn't too astronomical, say 250k or even 500k. Having to jump through the checking account hoop at Merrill Edge for a number of free trades is something I would rather not deal with.
What is so difficult about the checking account hoop? You set it up once and forget about it. Then if you have $50k you have more free trades than you should possibly want to use. (for life, perhaps)
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

triceratop wrote:
Longtermgrowth wrote:It would be nice if all brokerages had a certain number of free trades per month with qualifying balance that isn't too astronomical, say 250k or even 500k. Having to jump through the checking account hoop at Merrill Edge for a number of free trades is something I would rather not deal with.
What is so difficult about the checking account hoop? You set it up once and forget about it. Then if you have $50k you have more free trades than you should possibly want to use. (for life, perhaps)
As I recall, if you already have a Merrill Edge account the application for the checking account is pre-populated to a large extent. It took just a few minutes. There are other Preferred Rewards benefits too, like cash-back increases on the credit cards.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

As I recall, if you already have a Merrill Edge account the application for the checking account is pre-populated to a large extent. It took just a few minutes. There are other Preferred Rewards benefits too, like cash-back increases on the credit cards.
Of course; I actually made the mistake of going to my local BofA branch office (waste of time) and even that didn't take long. Only annoyance is BofA charges fees to transfer out of (maybe in?) checking into other banks -- so I just never use the account.

The VISA card is nice -- $200 signup bonus and the 50% rewards kick in next month. Woohoo! This deal is incredible.
malabargold

Post by malabargold »

Earl Lemongrab wrote:

for far too long.

Merrill-Lynch raised to the power of Bank of America.
Two of the worst financial services companies for customers
known, in my experience.

I hope it's something better now, but the combo makes me
me queasy.

Once bitten, twice shy.
student

Post by student »

Theoretical wrote:Now, I'll be shocked if Ameritrade doesn't lower its commission fee after its two big rivals have just done this.
They just did but not as low as Fidelity.

http://www.amtd.com/newsroom/press-rele ... fault.aspx
Theoretical

Post by Theoretical »

Not bad at all, if I may say so. Ameritrade is now cheaper than Fidelity was and the same as Schwab was. It also makes sense in light of their Scottrade purchase.
Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth »

triceratop wrote: What is so difficult about the checking account hoop? You set it up once and forget about it. Then if you have $50k you have more free trades than you should possibly want to use. (for life, perhaps)
It wasn't terrible to set the checking account up and I hope you're right about it staying simple. I just worry that they will start charging the checking account fee in the future, that there might need to be some minimum level of activity with the checking account, or that the preferred rewards program will be discontinued down the line; leaving us having to close out the monthly fee checking accounts and transfer to another brokerage. I'm in for the ride now too, so we'll see how it goes.
triceratop wrote: Only annoyance is BofA charges fees to transfer out of (maybe in?) checking into other banks -- so I just never use the account.
I'll have to check for the transfer fee. I moved money from outside savings to BoA checking to pay the credit card bill and haven't noticed a fee doing that.
There were so many forms to read with their online bill pay for the card, couldn't make out for certain if I would get hit by a fee for linking my other checking account as payment to the card or not :shock:
Incendiary

Post by Incendiary »

Not bad, but not good enough.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

Longtermgrowth wrote:
triceratop wrote: What is so difficult about the checking account hoop? You set it up once and forget about it. Then if you have $50k you have more free trades than you should possibly want to use. (for life, perhaps)
It wasn't terrible to set the checking account up and I hope you're right about it staying simple. I just worry that they will start charging the checking account fee in the future, that there might need to be some minimum level of activity with the checking account, or that the preferred rewards program will be discontinued down the line; leaving us having to close out the monthly fee checking accounts and transfer to another brokerage. I'm in for the ride now too, so we'll see how it goes.
triceratop wrote: Only annoyance is BofA charges fees to transfer out of (maybe in?) checking into other banks -- so I just never use the account.
I'll have to check for the transfer fee. I moved money from outside savings to BoA checking to pay the credit card bill and haven't noticed a fee doing that.
There were so many forms to read with their online bill pay for the card, couldn't make out for certain if I would get hit by a fee for linking my other checking account as payment to the card or not :shock:
Sure; But the fee will be less than the sign-up bonus ME was willing to pay to get me to sign up!
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

malabargold wrote:
Earl Lemongrab wrote:

for far too long.

Merrill-Lynch raised to the power of Bank of America.
known, in my experience.

I hope it's something better now, but the combo makes me
me queasy.

Once bitten, twice shy.
Nobody forces you to use the BofA account (I do not). Plentiful free trades are hard to come by for modest account balances though; and that's before the best-on-the-market credit card rewards are taken into account.

I haven't seen any Bogleheads complain about Merrill Edge service or experiences.
Retired1809

Post by Retired1809 »

I'd like to see Fidelity BrokerageLink drop its fees on non-NTF open-end mutual funds, now at $49.95 in my retirement plan that doesn't allow trading ETFs or stocks. Why the huge disparity?
Theoretical

Post by Theoretical »

Yep, the mutual funds transaction fees are the single major difference between the Big Three and their smaller competitors like Scotttrade, IB, and TradeKing. On the other hand, if there's a fund you absolutely want with Fido, you can get it for $5/month with automatic investing (and free with Ameritrade).
Topic Author
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

investordoc wrote:They also have an offer for 300/500 free trades if you open a NEW account or transfer into an EXISTING account of $50,000 or $100,000. The free trades are good for two years. FYI
Except the value of those free trades just went down and there are other options (FF miles, cash, Apple gift card) for transferring in money that may be worth more.
wander

Post by wander »

Earl Lemongrab wrote:We're talking Merrill Edge. That's a great discount brokerage.
Do you have to park $25,000 cash in a bank account to be qualified for the 30 free trades a month? If that is the case, then I rather invest elsewhere because I only need to trade a few times a year and the $25k can give me better return than the money I say from trading.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

wander wrote:
Earl Lemongrab wrote:We're talking Merrill Edge. That's a great discount brokerage.
Do you have to park $25,000 cash in a bank account to be qualified for the 30 free trades a month? If that is the case, then I rather invest elsewhere because I only need to trade a few times a year and the $25k can give me better return than the money I say from trading.
That is one way to qualify but is not how most Bogleheads qualify. I qualify by using the Preferred Rewards program, which requires $50k in securities in my ME account. So I just transferred in some Vanguard ETFs in kind.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

malabargold wrote:Merrill-Lynch raised to the power of Bank of America.
known, in my experience.
You're free to dislike what you want. My experience with both has been very positive. They have a great rewards setup and one of the best brokerage bonus programs around. The customer service has been knowledgeable and efficient. I can't remark on your past experiences because I don't know what they were or whether they actually involve Merrill Edge.