Vanguard Reports Third Round Of Expense Ratio Reductions Resulting In $143 Million In Cumulative Savings For Investors

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
BeachPerson

Vanguard Reports Third Round Of Expense Ratio Reductions Resulting In $143 Million In Cumulative Savings For Investors

Post by BeachPerson »

Expense Ratio Reduction

V
anguard reported lower expense ratios today for 68 additional mutual fund and ETF shares, saving clients more than $105 million.1 Led by notable decreases in some of the industry's largest international exchange-traded funds (ETFs), this third wave of reductions represents a cumulative $143 million in savings across 124 fund shares reported over the last three months.
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"
student5

Re: Vanguard Reports Third Round Of Expense Ratio Reductions Resulting In $143 Million In Cumulative Savings For Investo

Post by student5 »

Those reductions are truly appreciated by me.
Theoretical

Re: Vanguard Reports Third Round Of Expense Ratio Reductions Resulting In $143 Million In Cumulative Savings For Investo

Post by Theoretical »

Wow, the Muni ETF is 9 basis points, available anywhere.
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

Looks like my spreadsheet already knew. :idea:

Code: Select all

=GOOGLEFINANCE(A4,"expenseratio")
...edit: it only knows some of them.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

linenfort wrote:Looks like my spreadsheet already knew. :idea:

Code: Select all

=GOOGLEFINANCE(A4,"expenseratio")
...edit: it only knows some of them.
Google finance updates the day after an expense ratio changes. Check back tomorrow and you'll see the new ERs.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

Aha, thank you!
I'll just place my computer under the Christmas tree before bedtime...
aj44

Post by aj44 »

This will save me money but......

I wish they would hold the line on lowering expense ratios until they can improve customer service and the online experience. Maybe those improvement are already being paid for but the message I am getting from this is that the executives there have it in their bonus structure to lower fees by x amount but are lacking on customer service incentives.

Could I change brokerage companies? Sure, but I don't want to, I'd rather push for Vanguard to improve because I love 98% of what they are about.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

From what I could see, the linked article just shows the reduced expense ratios of EFTs, not mutual funds.
Gordon
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

gkaplan wrote:From what I could see, the linked article just shows the reduced expense ratios of EFTs, not mutual funds.
Scroll (me) further. You'll see the fund list at the bottom.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

linenfort wrote:
gkaplan wrote:From what I could see, the linked article just shows the reduced expense ratios of EFTs, not mutual funds.
Scroll (me) further. You'll see the fund list at the bottom.

I see it now. Thank you.
Gordon
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Best news I have heard today!

And it is late in the day....
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO »

Hmm, my weighted expense ratio was already 0.08 this might cause it to tick down to 0.07... All in favor of that!
raven15

Post by raven15 »

Here was my take away from the announcement:
Expense ratios represent the actual operating expenses for the prior fiscal year (including investment advisory fees, administrative costs, and shareholder-service expenses), meaning investors have already realized these savings by the time they are reported.
I am a lot less excited now.
It's Time. Adding Interest.
toto238

Post by toto238 »

raven15 wrote:Here was my take away from the announcement:
Expense ratios represent the actual operating expenses for the prior fiscal year (including investment advisory fees, administrative costs, and shareholder-service expenses), meaning investors have already realized these savings by the time they are reported.
I am a lot less excited now.
If you're invested in VG funds, you are likely "paying" an even lower expense ratio than they currently show. They decrease their expenses over time, pretty consistently. This backward-looking measurement means you're probably losing less to expenses than you think right now!