Vanguard Upgrade and Quicken

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
plats

Vanguard Upgrade and Quicken

Post by plats »

I upgraded to a brokerage account and Quicken dutifully put all my funds into my brokerage account. The balances are correct, but unfortunately the cost basis for all funds are zero. Some go back 30 years with monthly distributions reinvested. Does anyone know how to resolve this?
Doc

Re: Vanguard Upgrade and Quicken

Post by Doc »

You should be able to do a transfers shares to the new account. Not on computer now so can't check it but I transfer shares often and cost basis moves with shares.
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.
Topic Author
plats

Post by plats »

Doc wrote:You should be able to do a transfers shares to the new account. Not on computer now so can't check it but I transfer shares often and cost basis moves with shares.
That worked, thanks. The key is to delete the erroneous "shares added/shares deleted" one-step update transactions and manually "transfer between accounts, all shares."
Sailor36

Post by Sailor36 »

Vanguard has recently fixed some issues with downloading transactions from Brokerage accounts to Quicken, mainly related to the settlement fund (Federal Money Market).

A remaining issue is that a purchase of the settlement fund downloads the correct dollar amount but zero shares. You must edit these transactions so that the number of shares purchased = the dollar amount, resulting in the correct number of shares in the account and a share price of $1.00.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Sailor36 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:17 pm Vanguard has recently fixed some issues with downloading transactions from Brokerage accounts to Quicken, mainly related to the settlement fund (Federal Money Market).

A remaining issue is that a purchase of the settlement fund downloads the correct dollar amount but zero shares. You must edit these transactions so that the number of shares purchased = the dollar amount, resulting in the correct number of shares in the account and a share price of $1.00.
I ignored Money Market accounts all together and just treat it all as cash. This eliminates the problem when there is both actual cash and a MM fund balance in the actual account. When you download from broker just delete any sweep transactions.
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.
patkindkp123

Post by patkindkp123 »

Could you give more details about how to transfer individual mutual funds into brokerage accounts?

My mutual funds (manually updated, not downloading from VG) are each in their own individual account. Now I have upgraded to brokerage accounts, and several of each mutual fund accounts are now to be combined into the brokerage accounts.

How do i set this up in Quicken?

And how can I have subsequent updates come automatically by downloading from VG to Quicken ?

Thanks!
Doc

Post by Doc »

patkindkp123 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:38 pm Could you give more details about how to transfer individual mutual funds into brokerage accounts?

My mutual funds (manually updated, not downloading from VG) are each in their own individual account. Now I have upgraded to brokerage accounts, and several of each mutual fund accounts are now to be combined into the brokerage accounts.

How do i set this up in Quicken?

And how can I have subsequent updates come automatically by downloading from VG to Quicken ?

Thanks!
Vanguard will do a "transfer" of your old mutual fund accounts to the new brokerage platform. All you need to do in Quicken is to add the new brokerage account.

Log into Quicken and press <F1> on your keyboard. Follow instructions under "How do I add a new account". :D