Rand Paul predicts bubble / boom in stock market

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Mark2614

Rand Paul predicts bubble / boom in stock market

Post by Mark2614 »

Start watching at 4:25. Your thoughts?

https://youtu.be/ULHe_1aFK9E?t=4m25s

Does someone with 1 million+ in the market stay the course?
kdsunday

Re: Rand Paul predicts bubble / boom in stock market

Post by kdsunday »

It's very difficult to time the market. One has to be right twice: when to get out and when to get back in. It's time in the market, not timing the market, that leads to success. Stay the course.
In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. -Yogi Berra
Mako

Post by Mako »

My thoughts are that every politician has an agenda, and he clearly has some particular financial views that we need not discuss but should be kept in mind when listening to what he has to say. And I also don't see why he has gained any particular expertise in his careers as a doctor and Senator to show he can pick booms and busts. I did not watch the video though.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Five years ago he was predicting hyperinflation. Weimar was just around the corner. How did that turn out?
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Mark2614 wrote:Start watching at 4:25. Your thoughts?

Mark:

I started watching at 4:25 where Senator Paul predicts a bubble/boom in the stock market. Senator Paul was a physician. He is a persuasive speaker but has little financial education in the stock market. Even if he did, I have learned that no one can forecast (except by luck) what the stock market will do in the future.

Yes, I think "someone with 1 million+ in the market should stay the course."

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Mark2614 wrote:Start watching at 4:25. Your thoughts?

So, what is the problem?

A) It is always possible that the stock market will crash and may take a very long time to recover. Unless you are 100% stock, why is that a problem?

B) If you are 100% stock, why are you doing this without understanding (A)?

KlangFool
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Maybe we should all buy freeze dryers from Rand's dad so we can prepare enough food to survive the crash.
http://www.insidesources.com/ron-paul-s ... -beck-ads/
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

Mark2614 wrote: Does someone with 1 million+ in the market stay the course?
You are asking Bogleheads this question?

If the are a Boglehead, then yes.

If they are a market timer, then no.

(If I was going to listen to anyone's financial advice, Rand Paul would not be on my list.)
warowits

Post by warowits »

http://time.com/money/4102507/rand-paul ... isclosure/

We can see how Senator Paul invests his own money. Primarily TIPS and a MM account, with some smaller commodity funds. So it seems as if he believes his own rhetoric, but that doesn't make it an accurate prediction of the future returns. If he keeps predicting a bear market he will eventually be right, but that is true of anyone, and it doesn't tell you what you need to know to make money off from your prediction. He was not advising people put all their money in the stock market in 2009.

Other people have far more compelling and informed opinions about it, and they will admit they don't know the future.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

If the opinions of career economists are useless to predict market movements, why would you listen to politicians?

I'm not making a comment on the senator, but politicians misrepresent things at least as much as they are wrong about things. If you do the calculus, that leaves very little of what they say to be relied upon as true.

JT
avalpert

Post by avalpert »

Rand Paul is well known for his unique accuracy in predicting future market moves... :oops:
Maverick3320

Post by Maverick3320 »

It's bad enough when people listen to financial gurus making predictions, but now we are listening to politicians make predictions?
Topic Author
Mark2614

Post by Mark2614 »

Maverick3320 wrote:It's bad enough when people listen to financial gurus making predictions, but now we are listening to politicians make predictions?
You guys are good at making me feel better about my investments. That's what I come here for! :) I just needed your comfort.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

As others have said, I don't listen to investment predictions from anyone. And if I did, eye surgeons and politicians would not be at the top of the list.
kenner

Post by kenner »

In my opinion, Rand Paul's prediction is probably correct.

But then again, I do not trust his opinion - or mine - enough to do anything other than "stay the course" for the long run. A large number of investor mistakes are psychological in nature.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

Locked for review. In practice, pleasant threads involving politicians' names are not long for this world. (Politics)
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Upon further review this thread will remain locked. The video title is: Donald Trump Supports Rand Paul's Audit the Fed Bill

See: Unacceptable Topics

Politics and Religion

In order to avoid the inevitable frictions that arise from these topics, political or religious posts and comments are prohibited. The only exceptions to this rule are:
  • Common religious expressions such as sending your prayers to an ailing member.
  • Usage of factual and non-derogatory political labels when necessary to the discussion at hand.
  • Discussions about enacted laws or regulations that affect the individual investor. Note that discussions of proposed legislation are prohibited.
  • Proposed regulations that are directly related to investing may be discussed if and when they are published for public comments.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.