Historical Portfolio Returns Calculator

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Scorpion

Historical Portfolio Returns Calculator

Post by Scorpion »

Is there a tool on the web somewhere that would let me put in a hypothetical asset allocation across the 9 style boxes plus bonds and it would produce the historical return of that AA over a specified time period? I am sure there must be such a calculator, but I have never stumbled across it. Thought it might be common knowledge here. Thanks!
Nate79

Re: Historical Portfolio Returns Calculator

Post by Nate79 »

Scorpion wrote:Is there a tool on the web somewhere that would let me put in a hypothetical asset allocation across the 9 style boxes plus bonds and it would produce the historical return of that AA over a specified time period? I am sure there must be such a calculator, but I have never stumbled across it. Thought it might be common knowledge here. Thanks!
Have you looked at portfoliovisualizer? https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/
ulladulla28

Post by ulladulla28 »

Portfolio Charts is another useful tool.

https://portfoliocharts.com
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

Or bogleheads own simba's backtesting spreadsheet?
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Simba%2 ... preadsheet
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Scorpion wrote:Is there a tool on the web somewhere that would let me put in a hypothetical asset allocation across the 9 style boxes plus bonds and it would produce the historical return of that AA over a specified time period? I am sure there must be such a calculator, but I have never stumbled across it. Thought it might be common knowledge here. Thanks!
Scorpion:

Be careful what you ask for.
Jack Bogle: "The biggest mistake investors make is looking backward at performance and thinking it’ll recur in the future."
Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Topic Author
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

Thanks everybody. These were exactly what I was looking for. Definitely understand past performance is no prediction of future results, but I really need to lock in on an asset allocation for pending retirement so that I can stay the course as I have for the last 17+ years. I find that, as I have started to add bonds, I am much more concerned about market performance and sequence of returns risk. I need to find a retirement AA to lock in on, and if these help me to set it and forget it, it will be helpful.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Scorpion:

Be careful what you ask for.
Jack Bogle: "The biggest mistake investors make is looking backward at performance and thinking it’ll recur in the future."
Best wishes.
Taylor
Very true, but if it weren't for their historical performance, few of us would be in equities at all.
The Sensible Steward
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Scorpion wrote: I need to find a retirement AA to lock in on, and if these help me to set it and forget it, it will be helpful.
Scorpion:

I am pleased to see that you realize the importance of Asset-Allocation. Except for regular savings, I consider it our most important investment decision because it determines our expected risk and expected return.

No one knows their perfect asset-allocation but this Vanguard Investment Questionnaire will be helpful.

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle