Are you changing your AA based on current events?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Admiral

Are you changing your AA based on current events?

Post by Admiral » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:23 am

I'm going to try to keep this post apolitical, and not speculative about future laws or policies, both of which are forbidden based on the board's guidelines.

We are going through a period unlike any this country has experienced in a long time, if ever. I think most can agree on that.

That said, are you changing (or considering changing) your AA based on what has been happening, one way or another? This is something I have been seriously thinking about, and I would like to see what others are doing (or considering).

I am well aware that this post may be deleted my moderators, but I will take that chance.

Silence Dogood

Re: Are you changing your AA based on current events?

Post by Silence Dogood » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:26 am

Nope.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:36 am

We are always going through a period unlike any our country has ever experienced. That's how time works. Things change.

My AA is set to meet my needs, don't see any reason to change it.

goingup

Post by goingup » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:36 am

No.

If you step back and consider the long arc of American history, we are currently in a time of relative peace and prosperity. (Not trying to devolve this into the forbidden topic sphere.)

Our portfolio has a big slug of muni bond funds and cash. This is a permanent feature and helps quell unease.

Levett

Post by Levett » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:37 am

Yep. Put a couple of canaries in my investment coal mine.

No further comment, other than the memorable formulation (not political) from a former Secretary of Defense:

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."

Lev

redrocker

Post by redrocker » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:38 am

I am not changing my AA per se.

However, I did sell all my remaining active funds before Dec 31 2016 and now as a result I'm about 15% in cash right now. If I were to stick strictly to my investing plan, I'd have lump summed that in at the appropriate allocation. However, I do feel the market is (or until 2 days ago, was) overly enthusiastic and so I'm waiting an undetermined amount of time before I put that 15% back into the market.

I do not plan to change my allocation between bonds/stocks or international/domestic.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:49 am

Not me.
PJW

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:51 am

Admiral wrote:We are going through a period unlike any this country has experienced in a long time, if ever. I think most can agree on that.
I can't agree. Current events always seem more significant and uniquely dangerous while they are current.

A few past events that were pretty significant and unique:
  • WW I
    WW II
    Korean War
    Vietnam War
    Cuban Missile Crises
    President Kennedy assassinated (as well as Lincoln, Garfield and McKinley)
    9/11
With a little thought, many more could be added -- especially if we go back further in time (e.g. Civil War).

Today's current events don't even come close to those.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

lack_ey

Post by lack_ey » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:56 am

Events/world news? No.

Rates relative to savings accounts, CDs? Maybe a little, depending, in general. Though not right now.

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:00 pm

Current events are one factor in my AA changing, but not the most important. I'm another year older, and one year closer to retirement(56). I am trying to get more conservative in my AA, for that reason as well as:
Long running bull market
Current events

That may get me a market timer label around here, but so be it. In real dollars I have a third more in bonds then I did two years ago, but my stock / bond ratio has only gone from 82/18 to 78/22. Trying to get to 70 /30 without making fast changes.
Can't take it with you when you're gone | But I want enough to get there on - Rollin with the flow - Jerry Hayes

fourwedge

Post by fourwedge » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:00 pm

No changes here, the economy is improving and even if it wasn't I wouldn't change my AA. I buy more all the time. Keep going!
Max out your tax sheltered retirement accounts with inexpensive, well diversified, index funds and you will beat 90% of all investors.

asif408

Post by asif408 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:01 pm

No, I don't. I really don't have much confidence in being able to predict how current events will effect my AA. I've tried making predictions of future stock market moves in my head based on current events just to see how I do, and so far I have been terrible. I'm glad I've done no actual shifting of money during those times.

OTOH, I have made changes in the last year or so based on valuations, but none of it has been influenced by what I think of the current administration or the policies they are pushing. I would suggest if you are considering changing your asset allocation then you may have an asset allocation that is too risky.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:05 pm

I am new to USA, not yet an American citizen (still a green card holder), in any moment laws could change to be against me somehow, technically, I could be deported for a reason or no reason at all, for example, if a high authority in the country or US citizens choose to deport all people with green card, I'd be out and leave my investments behind or cash it out prematurely!
For me being here is like getting hired in a company, with no guarantees that you won't be laid off one day, however, you still go to your job and still go into debt to buy this house or this car, even though you don't know the future of the company and how it will do to you as an employee and not an owner.
I am saying that NOT to start political discussion, I am only showing you that even with such a risk that all other US citizen don't have (the tiny risk to be deported), I still don't think of changing my AA based on the news.

Since day 1 I became a boglehead, and I set my AA and my investing plan so that it will be the same even if a nuclear war happened! (Or that is what I think in terms of my risk tolerance, till I am tested!)

If you feel the urge to change your AA now, then I guess it is 1 of 2:
1- You need to read more, specially about the history of the world and how previous events (temporary) changed the finance market.
2- You have more allocation towards stocks than you can tolerate, and in this case, I think it would be best for you to revisit your investing plan, and set one, and change it if necessary, but never change it again unless a major event happened to you personally.

Disclaimer: I am not a financial adviser and almost all of my advises are bad ones! so take my advice with a grain of salt! (I've just noticed that I am learning American idioms pretty fast, can I now be a citizen? pleeeeeeease :D )
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

qwertyjazz

Post by qwertyjazz » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:10 pm

BogleMelon wrote:I am new to USA, not yet an American citizen (still a green card holder), in any moment laws could change to be against me somehow, technically, I could be deported for a reason or no reason at all, for example, if a high authority in the country or US citizens choose to deport all people with green card, I'd be out and leave my investments behind or cash it out prematurely!
For me being here is like getting hired in a company, with no guarantees that you won't be laid off one day, however, you still go to your job and still go into debt to buy this house or this car, even though you don't know the future of the company and how it will do to you as an employee and not an owner.
I am saying that NOT to start political discussion, I am only showing you that even with such a risk that all other US citizen don't have (the tiny risk to be deported), I still don't think of changing my AA based on the news.

Since day 1 I became a boglehead, and I set my AA and my investing plan so that it will be the same even if a nuclear war happened! (Or that is what I think in terms of my risk tolerance, till I am tested!)

1- You need to read more, specially about the history of the world and how previous events (temporary) changed the finance market.
2- You have more allocation towards stocks than you can tolerate, and in this case, I think it would be best for you to revisit your investing plan, and set one, and change it if necessary, but never change it again unless a major event happened to you personally.

Disclaimer: I am not a financial adviser and almost all of my advises are bad ones! so take my advice with a grain of salt! (I've just noticed that I am learning American idioms pretty fast, can I now be a citizen? pleeeeeeease :D )
I know it is not considered part of an AA by many. But, are you increasing your emergency fund?
G.E. Box "All models are wrong, but some are useful."

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:11 pm

Nope +100

mhc

Post by mhc » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:15 pm

No.

Looking out my window at work, I only see a sunny blue sky. I don't see the sky falling. Things look pretty normal to me.

Try tuning out the noise.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:16 pm

qwertyjazz wrote:
BogleMelon wrote:I am new to USA, not yet an American citizen (still a green card holder), in any moment laws could change to be against me somehow, technically, I could be deported for a reason or no reason at all, for example, if a high authority in the country or US citizens choose to deport all people with green card, I'd be out and leave my investments behind or cash it out prematurely!

I know it is not considered part of an AA by many. But, are you increasing your emergency fund?
No. Why would I? I already have about 5-6 months of expenses in a saving account. in addition to saving for various categories that I know will happen for sure (not emergency by definition, only a matter of time) such as car breakdown, Car replacement after x years, health insurance annual deductible..etc
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:30 pm

Nope.
Don't do something. Just stand there!

telemark

Post by telemark » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:33 pm

I have made some changes recently. I rebalanced into bonds last week, because redirecting new money wasn't moving the needle the way I wanted, and I moved part of my bond allocation from a TBM-equivalent to a stable value fund. Were these reactions to current events? I like to think not, but I might be kidding myself. My overall allocation remains the same.

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:41 pm

Nope.

NoD

Post by NoD » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:43 pm

Not at all. Using the last couple days and what may come as a tool to remind myself that the market is not always on a run. Instead, I'm staying the course and focusing on the fact that it looks like my 210 dollar auto-purchase of Total Intl Admiral this friday is going to be a better deal than if it had bought last week. :moneybag
Some day we'll look back on all this and plow into a parked car.

Ged

Post by Ged » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Admiral wrote:
We are going through a period unlike any this country has experienced in a long time, if ever. I think most can agree on that.
Your statement is true almost all the time. I don't see anything happening that would cause me to change my AA.

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:58 pm

Admiral wrote:That said, are you changing (or considering changing) your AA based on what has been happening, one way or another?
A little extra gold, but not enough to change my AA to an extent that bogleheads would regard as significant.
bogleheads, don't knock state lotteries. They helped defund the mafia.

Artisan

Post by Artisan » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:11 pm

NO.

"This" time is always different. Ignore the noise, stay the course, time in the market is better then timing the market.

Most hunches and predictions turn out to be wrong.

Invest according to your IPS.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:21 pm

By "current events", do you mean Oprah joining "60 Minutes" this fall?

Oh, you mean something else.

Nope, still at 70% stocks/30% bonds.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

dkturner

Post by dkturner » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:27 pm

No, not based on current events. However this month I did raise my international equity exposure from 12% of my total equity allocation to 20% based on the long period of underperformance of international equities and the weakness of foreign currencies.

retire57

Post by retire57 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:31 pm

Nope. 30+ years of investing has taught us NOT to do that.

badger42

Post by badger42 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:38 pm

I'm not changing my headline AA or plans for it, nor am I changing my equity split (65% US 35% international)

I am, however, considering adding foreign bonds to the fixed income part of my AA as further diversification - probably following the same 65/35 split that I have for equities.

markcoop

Post by markcoop » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:53 pm

I don't like to change my AA, but sometimes I play a bit in my rebalancing bands. My AA is 60% stocks. If we hit all time highs and I feel the market is high, I will drop down a bit...slowly...toward 50%. When the market was tanking in 2008, I did move up above 60%. The combination of all-time market highs and the Trump factor makes me a bit concerned and I did lower my stocks toward 50%.
Mark

fantasytensai

Post by fantasytensai » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:12 pm

mhc wrote:No.

Looking out my window at work, I only see a sunny blue sky. I don't see the sky falling. Things look pretty normal to me.

Try tuning out the noise.
Look at Mr. Bigshot with a window office.

I didn't even know it was snowing until an hour ago when I took a walk to the bathroom.

To answer the OP. No. I am relatively new to the game, but if I can't even stay strong in a small rainshower like this, I might as well quit being a Boglehead as I will probably drown in the 3 to 4 hurricanes that I am sure to face until I retire.

toto238

Post by toto238 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:29 pm

In 1917 the Russian Stock Market went to zero, and anyone who was in it never got their money back.

I don't see any signs that something like that is about to happen. Perhaps a nuclear apocalypse would cause this to occur, but in that case I don't think changing my stock-bond allocation is going to make much a difference.

The Japanese stock market collapsed after a bubble in the 80s/90s and anyone who invested at the peak has still not made their money back.

Stocks may have relatively high valuations right now, but there is no indication of any kind of bubble the size of the Japanese stock market. Moreover, even if that did occur, I have two big things going for me:
1. 30+ years to recover before retirement
2. Diversified equity holdings across international stocks, so any one country having an idiosyncratic negative event should not sink my portfolio

I am one who definitely does worry and even expects for a significant market downturn to occur in the next 48 months. This could also include a recession. But I don't believe I have any predictive power as to when exactly that will happen, whether the market will go up 10% or more first, how far down it will drop when it does, how long it will stay there, whether there will be a double dip, etc.

I can say with some confidence that a market downturn will occur sometime soon. As long as I'm vague enough as to what counts as a downturn and how soon "soon" is.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:30 pm

I am 71, retired, with an asset allocation of 50/50, and have no plans to change allocation at all.

The country has gone through worse periods than this, and so have I.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:53 pm

Admiral wrote:We are going through a period unlike any this country has experienced in a long time, if ever. I think most can agree on that.
This is an unsupportable premise.

Even if it weren't, my predictions as to markets would mean little, so it would not effect my AA.

JT

leonard

Post by leonard » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:06 pm

Markets have gone up in the last 3 months in anticipation. What specific AA would I move to capitalize on this? Even if I correctly predict the future, I'd also have to accurately predict how the market is going to react. The probability of me correctly predicting a serial chain of events and their impact on the market is nearly zero.

In light of the ambiguity that we (always) face - I'll stay the course.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:21 pm

Not changing it. I'm feeling deeply anxious about the future; nevertheless I'm sticking with the ISP. Either the future will unfold within the realms of some value of 'normal,' in which case I will be glad to have stuck with the ISP, or it will not, in which case my investments will no longer matter to me. Upcoming years will be a true test of our collective value of 'stay the course.'

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:28 pm

Admiral wrote:I'm going to try to keep this post apolitical, and not speculative about future laws or policies, both of which are forbidden based on the board's guidelines.

That said, are you changing (or considering changing) your AA based on what has been happening, one way or another? This is something I have been seriously thinking about, and I would like to see what others are doing (or considering).

I am well aware that this post may be deleted my moderators, but I will take that chance.
Admiral,

<< We are going through a period unlike any this country has experienced in a long time, if ever. I think most can agree on that.
>>

1) I disagreed with that statement. IMHO, only people ignorant of history will make this kind of statement. This is consistent with the 20 to 30 years' cycle of American history. There is nothing new here.

2) There is no news here. It is just a bunch of noise. If you are interested in real news, you could subscribe to the following website.

www.stratfor.com

<<That said, are you changing (or considering changing) your AA based on what has been happening,>>

3) No. I am following my IPS.

KlangFool

sid hartha

Post by sid hartha » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:30 pm

No. Current events are out of my control. I have no choice but to stay the course and stick to the plan. I think it's folly to make investment decisions based on current events etc. It's why many people under perform the market.

However, I have made the decision to spend less, cut costs and save more money. That is totally within my control.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:31 pm

KlangFool wrote:1) I disagreed with that statement. IMHO, only people ignorant of history will make this kind of statement. This is consistent with the 20 to 30 years' cycle of American history. There is nothing new here.
and as history goes, US history is only a thin slice. Listening to a podcast on the History of Rome. They had their ups and downs. Am interested to hear how things turn out for them.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

akblizzard

Post by akblizzard » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:37 pm

Changing AA based on current events? The only current event on my mind is after reading a Scotch-related thread here a few minutes ago I realize I'm out and need to buy some on my way home. So, no. I see no reason to change AA based on that.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:38 pm

If the DOW hits 1000 or 3000 this year, I'll take a look at my AA. Not sure which way I'd adjust it in either case. I'd definitely be rebalancing all the way though.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:39 pm

Based on current events, I'm moving most of my investments into poster board and magic marker stocks.

Nah, not really. I'm staying the course as always. :sharebeer
Stay on target...

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:45 pm

toto238 wrote:In 1917 the Russian Stock Market went to zero, and anyone who was in it never got their money back.

I don't see any signs that something like that is about to happen. ...
[Cue music]

Nobody expects the Russian Revolution! Our chief weapon is a propensity to refer to something completely different!

PJW

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:46 pm

akblizzard wrote:Changing AA based on current events? The only current event on my mind is after reading a Scotch-related thread here a few minutes ago I realize I'm out and need to buy some on my way home. So, no. I see no reason to change AA based on that.
If you carry out your plan perhaps you should change AA.
PJW

jf89

Post by jf89 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:52 pm

Raymond wrote:By "current events", do you mean Oprah joining "60 Minutes" this fall?

Oh, you mean something else.

Nope, still at 70% stocks/30% bonds.
What?!?!?! [checks Google] Yes!

[ahem]... No, not changing my asset allocation. I really fail to see how this moment is so drastically different financially than others we've experienced in the past few decades. The rules haven't changed as far as I know. Just stay the course, and in ten years this moment will be insignificant to your finances.
"Save as much as you can, diversify diversify diversify, and you can't go wrong with tech stocks" | -First investing advice I recall from my parents in the 90's (two outta three ain't bad)

qwertyjazz

Post by qwertyjazz » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:54 pm

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
toto238 wrote:In 1917 the Russian Stock Market went to zero, and anyone who was in it never got their money back.

[Cue music]

Nobody expects the Russian Revolution! Our chief weapon is a propensity to refer to something completely different!

PJW
Funny - I have been wondering when we will be bringing back gladatorial sports or the old stand by of risqué movies in the old Soviet system
This made my day
Thank you
G.E. Box "All models are wrong, but some are useful."

Garco

Post by Garco » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:57 pm

No and Yes. "No" in that the main reason for changing my AA is my stage in life and economic status. I'm retired, living on SS as well as distributions from my tax deferred and taxable investments.

It was hard to ignore the post-election surge in the markets, and my portfolio was reasonably positioned to benefit from it. However, in the last couple of weeks I locked in some of what I consider to be extraordinary gains in my main retirement fund over the last two months, This led to a reduction in my allocation to equities.

I did not change my investments anywhere else in my portfolio except my main tax deferred retirement account.
Last edited by Garco on Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toto238

Post by toto238 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:57 pm

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:

[Cue music]

PJW
Hahaha nice. Very nice.

Rob54keep

Post by Rob54keep » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:57 pm

No,,,full steam ahead as planned.

runner26

Post by runner26 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:02 pm

Garco wrote:No and Yes. "No" in that the main reason for changing my AA is my stage in life and economic status. I'm retired, living on SS as well as distributions from my tax deferred and taxable investments.

It was hard to ignore the post-election surge in the markets, and my portfolio was reasonably positioned to benefit from it. However, in the last couple of weeks I locked in some of what I consider to be extraordinary gains in my main retirement fund over the last two months, This led to a reduction in my allocation to equities.

I did not change my investments anywhere else in my portfolio except my main tax deferred retirement account.
My yes and no answer is similar, so I will just re-quote yours for brevity.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:51 pm

Admiral wrote:...
That said, are you changing (or considering changing) your AA based on what has been happening, one way or another? This is something I have been seriously thinking about, and I would like to see what others are doing (or considering). ...
I would change my AA to lower equities if I were worried enough to lose sleep over ANY event. In that case, I would be correcting a mistake made when I set the AA, i.e., failing to ask how much I could afford to lose in a down market and then taking on more risk than I could tolerate.

Also, it's fine to ask what others are doing, but ultimately your AA should be right only for you.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle