Bobbie Christensen "She explains how to find safe and secure investments with 100%+ growth per year."

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
EyeYield

Bobbie Christensen "She explains how to find safe and secure investments with 100%+ growth per year."

Post by EyeYield » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:34 am

The topic title is part of a course description for a class offered at a local community college's "Community Services Education" program.

It's a three hour $49 seminar.

Full course description:

"Building Your Financial Portfolio on $50 a Month (or Less)

This information packed seminar will show you how to safely turn $50 a month into $100,000 in just 10 years! [She] is not a stock broker or financial advisor, but an investor who has used this method for over 25 years to achieve financial independence. In easy to understand language, she explains how to find safe and secure investments with 100%+ growth per year; how to invest without using a broker; why historically the stock market is the safest place for your money; what are splits, dividends, direct cash purchases and how to use them to your advantage, plus much more! [Instructor's] best selling book will be available for purchase in class for $15 (optional)."

I'm no math wizard, but wouldn't turning $50 a month for ten years into $100,000 necessitate a ridiculously high rate of return? With such vital information as what are splits and dividends, I imagine this course is designed for the people who are the least able to afford $49+.

I chose not to include the "instructor's" name, but the course title is the name of her book. Apparently the title used to be "on $25 a month (or less)". Must be inflation? And there's a sequel too, "Adding To Your Financial Portfolio".

It sounds like she's talking about DRIP's, which is how I started investing, but I must have done something radically wrong, because I just couldn't crack the 100%+ a year ceiling.

Her name doesn't yield anything when searched for in the Boglehead google, so I did a search and found other investing books she's written.
One is, "Top 50 Best Stock Investments" March, 2000, and the updated versions in 2003 and 2006. I can't find any updates for the last 10 years, so she must have nailed it in the 2006 version. Or was it something else?

Why do I need to index when I can get 100% a year?

The campus is close to me and I'm almost curious enough to sit thru it, but for $49 I can enjoy a nice meal for two.
I'm curious as to how many people are buying into this, and how financially literate they may be, so I might take a peek into the classroom.

Maybe selling books and seminars is how she makes 100% a year?

On the other hand, maybe I'm missing something and this may be a totally legit system?
Feel free to school me.
Last edited by EyeYield on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle

boglephreak

Re: "She explains how to find safe and secure investments with 100%+ growth per year."

Post by boglephreak » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:57 am

i think there is a typo in the seminar name. its supposed to be "Building My Financial Portfolio on Your $49 a Class."

i am curious what she is peddling though. not curious enough to give her any money, but curious nonetheless.

JoMoney

Re: "She explains how to find safe and secure investments with 100%+ growth per year."

Post by JoMoney » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:05 am

I like the way it's framed here:
Benjamin Graham in The Intelligent Investor wrote:...If we assume that there are normal or standard income results to be obtained from investing money in securities, then the role of the adviser can be more readily established. He will use his superior training and experience to protect his clients against mistakes and to make sure that they obtain the results to which their money is entitled. It is when the investor demands more than an average return on his money, or when his adviser undertakes to do better for him, that the question arises whether more is being asked or promised than is likely to be delivered.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

catdude

Post by catdude » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:06 am

Well, like you, I'm a little dubious. She needs to figure out what her annual growth rate is. I did a bit of noodling with my trusty HP-12C and found that it would take about 44% annual growth to turn $50 a month into $100,000 in 10 years. If she actually did earn 100% growth, at the end of 10 years she'd have $8.9 million. If I could get that kind of dough, I'd keep my mouth shut and plow all my money into this "safe" investment. Why do you suppose she's hawking books at 15 bucks a copy when she can get supposedly somewhere between 44% and 100% in the stock market?
catdude | | "As much as cats fight, there always seems to be plenty of kittens." (Abraham Lincoln)

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:28 am

This must be one of those psychology of sleep classes because the correct answer is "in your dreams."
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:09 am

boglephreak wrote:i think there is a typo in the seminar name. its supposed to be "Building My Financial Portfolio on Your $49 a Class."

i am curious what she is peddling though. not curious enough to give her any money, but curious nonetheless.
+1

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:14 am

This is likely a trolling for clients course. We receivd 3 such announcements in the mail on Wednesday to pay for a short class. There are now firms marketing pre-packaged courses for financial sales reps to buy that teach them how to contact local community colleges to set up sessions to get clients under the guise of a course. It is just another way of using fake news to advertise, uh, I mean marketing.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:55 am

livesoft wrote:This is likely a trolling for clients course. We receivd 3 such announcements in the mail on Wednesday to pay for a short class. There are now firms marketing pre-packaged courses for financial sales reps to buy that teach them how to contact local community colleges to set up sessions to get clients under the guise of a course. It is just another way of using fake news to advertise, uh, I mean marketing.
I think it's shameful that community colleges allow themselves to be used this way, and even more shameful if they get rewarded for it. For many people, they hear "College" or (heaven forbid) "University," and they think they're getting the benefit of thoughtful insight.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:22 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
livesoft wrote:This is likely a trolling for clients course. We receivd 3 such announcements in the mail on Wednesday to pay for a short class. There are now firms marketing pre-packaged courses for financial sales reps to buy that teach them how to contact local community colleges to set up sessions to get clients under the guise of a course. It is just another way of using fake news to advertise, uh, I mean marketing.
I think it's shameful that community colleges allow themselves to be used this way, and even more shameful if they get rewarded for it. For many people, they hear "College" or (heaven forbid) "University," and they think they're getting the benefit of thoughtful insight.

+1

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:23 am

I think the perps are taught to charge a small amount for these courses to make them appear more legitimate. One is probably better off going to a Plate Licker session in a local restaurant.

johnz1001

Post by johnz1001 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:32 am

I chose not to include the "instructor's" name, but the course title is the name of her book.
Yes, wise not to publish. Hate to make her look bad by publishing her name. I'm sure her intentions may easily be misunderstood.

I really can not believe how a college would permit this kind of thing. Either they are asleep at the switch or in collusion. It's terrible and should be an embarrassment ..

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:11 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
I also find it shameful that community colleges offer these classes. Our does several times a year. It makes me think that the administrators are ignorant about what is really going on here.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:13 am

livesoft wrote:I think the perps are taught to charge a small amount for these courses to make them appear more legitimate. One is probably better off going to a Plate Licker session in a local restaurant.
Exactly! Same thing, but you get paid for being made sick to your stomach buy earning a not so free lunch.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:30 am

Yes, the original book's title was $25/month, but still to $100,000 in ten years.
You can get used copies on amazon.com.

While this is obviously a bogus concept, it's hard to discredit it properly without knowing more details.
Is her scheme simply a matter of buying undervalued individual stocks, allowing them to double in value over six months, and then repeating the process?
Or is it more complicated than that?

We need someone to read the book, attend the seminar, and report back...
Attempted new signature...

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:33 am

Google gives away the course and author:

https://cse.glendale.edu/CourseStatus.a ... e=17WFI015

Seems the author previously wrote a book how to turn $25 a month into $100k

https://www.amazon.com/Building-Your-Fi ... 0972917322

Some of the negative reviews are telling. Poorly written, not well explained, misguided (they say when a stock splits, you make money times the split.....thus a 3 for 1 split, you have just trippled your money). Sounds to me like someone doesn't understand what they're writing about.
Last edited by Jack FFR1846 on Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

student

Post by student » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:37 am

GoldenFinch wrote: I also find it shameful that community colleges offer these classes. Our does several times a year. It makes me think that the administrators are ignorant about what is really going on here.
I am a bit cynical about this. I think the community college receives financial incentive for doing this. In any case, I am with you that it is shameful.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:40 am

student wrote:
GoldenFinch wrote: I also find it shameful that community colleges offer these classes. Our does several times a year. It makes me think that the administrators are ignorant about what is really going on here.
I am a bit cynical about this. I think the community college receives financial incentive for doing this. In any case, I am with you that it is shameful.
You are probably right. They're happy to make a few bucks.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:47 am

GerryL wrote:
boglephreak wrote:i think there is a typo in the seminar name. its supposed to be "Building My Financial Portfolio on Your $49 a Class."

+1
+2
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:49 am

GoldenFinch wrote:
student wrote:
You are probably right. They're happy to make a few bucks.
The fastest way to stop this nonsense is to sue the community college, get the lawsuit in front of the eyes of the media with proof that only in the land of Bernard Madoff do such returns exist. That will put a kibosh on these types of "classes" being offered, and it might very well get a few people axed.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:51 am

It's called lying. There was a "teaching organization" called the Learning Annex.
Some of those "teaching" may indeed have been qualified. For others, it's was pure nonsense
for their credentials.

I had my first computer sales job and was on the job maybe 10 days. They described me
in the listing as top in my field, an expert and so on. I was not paid anything but they charged
$25 for the 2 hour seminar.

For me, it was prospecting for potential clients. Ultimately I backed out and decided this was
absurd.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:06 am

Well, one does attend college for an education.

And, I'll bet every attendee of the described course will receive a bit of education. :oops:

In fact, $49 might be a bargain, IF the students learn from squandering their $$$$ on a questionable course. IF the students learn there are so many ways their finances can be negatively affected by those who are skilled in the art of removing $$$ from wallets.

Maybe they won't ever sign up for expensive financial newsletters, or trust their assets to advisors hawking loaded, high expense funds.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:16 am

EyeYield wrote:The topic title is part of a course description for a class offered at a local community college's "Community Services Education" program.

It's a three hour $49 seminar.

Full course description:

"Building Your Financial Portfolio on $50 a Month (or Less)

This information packed seminar will show you how to safely turn $50 a month into $100,000 in just 10 years! [She] is not a stock broker or financial advisor, but an investor who has used this method for over 25 years to achieve financial independence. In easy to understand language, she explains how to find safe and secure investments with 100%+ growth per year; how to invest without using a broker; why historically the stock market is the safest place for your money; what are splits, dividends, direct cash purchases and how to use them to your advantage, plus much more! [Instructor's] best selling book will be available for purchase in class for $15 (optional)."

I'm no math wizard, but wouldn't turning $50 a month for ten years into $100,000 necessitate a ridiculously high rate of return? With such vital information as what are splits and dividends, I imagine this course is designed for the people who are the least able to afford $49+.

I chose not to include the "instructor's" name, but the course title is the name of her book. Apparently the title used to be "on $25 a month (or less)". Must be inflation? And there's a sequel too, "Adding To Your Financial Portfolio".

It sounds like she's talking about DRIP's, which is how I started investing, but I must have done something radically wrong, because I just couldn't crack the 100%+ a year ceiling.

Her name doesn't yield anything when searched for in the Boglehead google, so I did a search and found other investing books she's written.
One is, "Top 50 Best Stock Investments" March, 2000, and the updated versions in 2003 and 2006. I can't find any updates for the last 10 years, so she must have nailed it in the 2006 version. Or was it something else?

Why do I need to index when I can get 100% a year?

The campus is close to me and I'm almost curious enough to sit thru it, but for $49 I can enjoy a nice meal for two.
I'm curious as to how many people are buying into this, and how financially literate they may be, so I might take a peek into the classroom.

Maybe selling books and seminars is how she makes 100% a year?

On the other hand, maybe I'm missing something and this may be a totally legit system?
Feel free to school me.
EyeYield,

There is a logic in the description of the class. Only people that do not know how to calculate will attend the class. Hence, they are the targeted audience. It is designed to weed out people that know how to calculate.

Ditto on the Nigerian email scam. Read below for more details.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-nige ... ous-2014-5

KlangFool

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:23 am

GerryL wrote:

+1
There are no "save" and "secure" investments with 100 percent growth per year that are legal.

"Building My Financial Portfolio on $3000.00 for 3 Classes of 20 students plus book sales and future fees for "private wealth counseling")
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:25 am

KlangFool wrote: Ditto on the Nigerian email scam. Read below for more details.
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-nige ... ous-2014-5
KlangFool
Also the "Kuwait" Dinar/Dollar scam.
Quite a few very smart Doctors and Professionals and PhD's out there have suitcases of Iraq/Kuwait Dinar in thier closets and an open plane ticket ready for the big payout.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:26 am

EyeYield wrote:...I'm no math wizard, but wouldn't turning $50 a month for ten years into $100,000 necessitate a ridiculously high rate of return?...
I'm ashamed to admit I just set up a month-by-month calculation in Excel and use "goal seek" because I'm too lazy to remember which formula applies to what or what the numbers in it mean. Month by month, assuming $50 is added at the beginning of each month, you need a monthly return of 3.613% per month = 53.097% per year to do it.

After all, you're putting in $6,000 and getting out $100,000, so even if you put the full $6,000 at the beginning, you're asking to multiply your money by more than 16X in ten years. That means you're doubling it four times in ten years. That means you're doubling it every 2-1/2 years. So by the rule of 72, it would take an annual growth of over 28% to grow $6,000 to $100,000 in ten years. In another very rough way--valid for "normal" compounding rates like car loans but I'm surprised it works as well as it does on this situation--since on the average each of your $50/month investments is only growing for five years, you might expect that it would require, rule of 72, doubling four times in five years, 72 / 1.25 = 56%/year.
Last edited by nisiprius on Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

dsmil

Post by dsmil » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:39 am

Interesting info from the publisher's website:

"We can also guarantee that you will not get rich quick with this method of investing. People who get rich quick also lose it quickly. But we can guarantee that you can invest with very little money in safe companies that have been proven to grow and prosper even in a difficult economy and provide you and your family with financial security for the rest of your life."

AND

"Only book in the world that explains this method of investing that no broker will ever tell you about. Based on best-selling book, learn how to turn $25 a month into $100,000 in 10 years"

They must not consider 10 years "quick"!

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:48 am

dsmil wrote:Interesting info from the publisher's website:

"We can also guarantee that you will not get rich quick with this method of investing. People who get rich quick also lose it quickly. But we can guarantee that you can invest with very little money in safe companies that have been proven to grow and prosper even in a difficult economy and provide you and your family with financial security for the rest of your life."

AND

"Only book in the world that explains this method of investing that no broker will ever tell you about. Based on best-selling book, learn how to turn $25 a month into $100,000 in 10 years"

They must not consider 10 years "quick"!
More than that, and consistent with good advertising, they use undefined terms such as "very little money" and "financial security for the rest of your life." I can devise schemes that do that given the right twist in those terms.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:51 am

A web search easily finds at least one community college with the OP's text in a course description. However, the OP misquoted the text. The description does not promise "100%+ growth". Instead it promises "100%+ growht" whatever that is. Perhaps the instructor is from Nigeria?

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:57 am

Bobbie Christensen is not a stock broker or financial advisor, but an investor who has used this method for over 25 years to achieve financial independence.
What took her so long?

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:59 am

Safe and Secure?
Whats fun about that?
Life doesn't get interesting until your leave your comfort zone
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:02 am

No, you are not missing anything. She's promising the impossible under the aegis of a community college course. It reflects really poorly on their course screening, frankly. Using educational programs to validate ludicrous seminars seems to be gaining a lot of traction recently. Community colleges and local adult ed programs seem to be falling into the trap more and more. Most are slightly more innocuous - just local fa's trolling for clients (still a far cry from real financial education, though). I'm surprised, when I see this and similar programs, that the institutions offering the venue aren't worried about losing credibility. They should be. If I saw this being offered, I'd be skeptical about all courses being offered.

Like johnny pointed about above, $50 a month would require a nearly 44% return to grow to $100k in 10 years. So it would appear her math skills are also badly lacking.

I enjoyed reading the Amazon reviews on her book. Predictably low substance. There were just enough positive reviews to prove she has friends and relatives, though.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:34 am

I sent a nice email to the college asking them to reconsider the type of seminars they choose to allow.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:38 am

It's sad that the college would even allow this to take place. They must be really, really desperate for a few bucks.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)

johnz1001

Post by johnz1001 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:40 am

I sent a nice email to the college asking them to reconsider the type of seminars they choose to allow.
I admire you for doing that. Hopefully a polite approach will get someone's attention.

Topic Author
EyeYield

Post by EyeYield » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:13 am

livesoft wrote:A web search easily finds at least one community college with the OP's text in a course description. However, the OP misquoted the text. The description does not promise "100%+ growth". Instead it promises "100%+ growht" whatever that is. Perhaps the instructor is from Nigeria?
The OP didn't misquote, the OP copied the info from a printed catalog; nothing gets past those college educated editors. ;-)

But I guess the authors do have a bit of dyslexia when it comes to the T and the H. From their self promotion:

"Bobbie and Eric Christensen, retired bankers and financial experts, are the authors of 10 published books, including several award-winning and best-selling books such as "Building Your Financial Portfolio on $25 a Moht (or Less) and Top 50 Best Stock Investments, among others. She is the owner of BooksAmerican.com and Effective Living Publishing. They have been married for 25+ years and reside in California." (She has also written a book on how to write a book.)

Thanks to pkcrafter for the formal outing, what took you so long? ;-)

I consider this thread a public service. When nothing came up from a BH search, I knew this had to come out. Now when someone does a search for Bobbie Christensen they will find this thread. Edited to add name in title.

They have been doing this under the radar for nearly 20 years, all over the country!
Last edited by EyeYield on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle

student

Post by student » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:24 am

livesoft wrote:A web search easily finds at least one community college with the OP's text in a course description. However, the OP misquoted the text. The description does not promise "100%+ growth". Instead it promises "100%+ growht" whatever that is. Perhaps the instructor is from Nigeria?
lol

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:37 am

livesoft wrote:I think the perps are taught to charge a small amount for these courses to make them appear more legitimate. One is probably better off going to a Plate Licker session in a local restaurant.
Plus it begins the sunk costs early, so you're less likely to leave, or are inclined to buy the book (so as to not waste the tuition money) and so on.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

NDfan27

Post by NDfan27 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:03 pm

Speaking of poor editing and Nigerian scams, I recently read an article that explained why these scams don't seem to get more sophisticated over time (it can't be that difficult to compose an email that you're going to send out millions of times, right?). But the article explains that the scammer wants most people to immediately delete it. They don't want to sift through responses from those who will never send money. They only want the most gullible to give the email a second look... It actually explains that the best deterrent is responding to the emails (as long as you don't send money).

Maybe we should be giving these authors a little more credit. I'm sure they don't want Bogleheads showing up at their seminars. A somewhat modest fee, ridiculous claims and a few well-placed typos make a good deterrent while attracting the crowd they want.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:27 pm

johnz1001 wrote:
I chose not to include the "instructor's" name, but the course title is the name of her book.

I really can not believe how a college would permit this kind of thing. Either they are asleep at the switch or in collusion. It's terrible and should be an embarrassment ..
I worked in a university's Continuing Education Division for a couple of years. We were mainly doing computer certification courses but I really learned a lot about how revenue-driven schools can be. I suspect in the case of a community college they get:
- the instructor doing the class for free (since s/he is trolling for clients)
- the "tuition" from people who have the money and aren't going to be looking for financial aid

If the instructor has a CPA or CFA after his/her name, so much the better. It adds some legitimacy (and schools are, after all, very credential-aware.
Friar1610

johnz1001

Re: Bobbie Christensen "She explains how to find safe and secure investments with 100%+ growth per year."

Post by johnz1001 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:57 am

I worked in a university's Continuing Education Division for a couple of years. We were mainly doing computer certification courses but I really learned a lot about how revenue-driven schools can be. I suspect in the case of a community college they get:
- the instructor doing the class for free (since s/he is trolling for clients)
- the "tuition" from people who have the money and aren't going to be looking for financial aid

If the instructor has a CPA or CFA after his/her name, so much the better. It adds some legitimacy (and schools are, after all, very credential-aware

That makes sense for why they do it. Thanks for the insight, but you'd think someone there would care about quality and assuring balance in what continuing education students learn. It does matter.

David Jay

Re: Bobbie Christensen "She explains how to find safe and secure investments with 100%+ growth per year."

Post by David Jay » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:51 pm

My son is 24. If he uses this strategy (and I grub stake him for, say, $1,000), he can own the entire global stock market (current global market cap ~ 69 trillion) by the time he is 60.

COOL!
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:53 pm

David Jay wrote:My son is 24. If he uses this strategy (and I grub stake him for, say, $1,000), he can own the entire global stock market (current global market cap ~ 69 trillion) by the time he is 60.

COOL!
If he starts with $1, it will take him a decade longer...
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:05 pm

BW1985 wrote:I sent a nice email to the college asking them to reconsider the type of seminars they choose to allow.
Thank you for caring.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:49 pm

Will do good wrote:
BW1985 wrote:I sent a nice email to the college asking them to reconsider the type of seminars they choose to allow.
Thank you for caring.
Let us know the response. :happy

If there is one.

k66

Post by k66 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:11 pm

David Jay wrote:
David Jay wrote:My son is 24. If he uses this strategy (and I grub stake him for, say, $1,000), he can own the entire global stock market (current global market cap ~ 69 trillion) by the time he is 60.

COOL!
If he starts with $1, it will take him a decade longer...
Patience is a virtue.
LOSER of the Boglehead Contest 2015 | lang may yer lum reek

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:25 pm

GoldenFinch wrote:
Will do good wrote:
Thank you for caring.

If there is one.
Doesn't look like they're going to respond.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:29 pm

BW1985 wrote:
GoldenFinch wrote:
Will do good wrote:
Thank you for caring.

If there is one.
Doesn't look like they're going to respond.
Most likely no response is the response. I guess we shouldn't be surprised.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:32 pm

Please don't give away the secret of this great seminar.... I saved 50 per month for the last 4 months. After 2 months I doubled my savings from 50.00 to 100.00. after 4 months, it doubled again to 200.00. after 8 months, it is guaranteed to double again, as long as I just keep putting the 50.00 per month in there!!!!

What a great investment plan,

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:17 pm

There have been at least two forum threads on these kinds of classes (including EJ) at community colleges and local community ed services:

viewtopic.php?t=174337
viewtopic.php?t=200436
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

garlandwhizzer

Post by garlandwhizzer » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:13 pm

This information packed seminar will show you how to safely turn $50 a month into $100,000 in just 10 years!
The obvious question is: if she knows how to do this why is she offering such incredibly precious information to you for $49? Perhaps she prefers not to hog all those fabulous gains just for herself and would prefer to share them with complete strangers for $49. Yes, that's it, now I see.

Garland Whizzer