Withdrawn from TPP market ramifications

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
LibertyLover

Withdrawn from TPP market ramifications

Post by LibertyLover » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:42 am

Emerging markets did very well yesterday and is doing well today. I suppose it is getting a bounce for to the executive order to withdraw from the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP).

Not intending to get political, as that will get this post locked. What can we expect for the effects to the market?

Cue, all the responses that nobody knows :wink:

livesoft

Re: Withdrawn from TPP market ramifications

Post by livesoft » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:02 am

TPP was never ratified in the the first place, so there was no withdrawal possible.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:13 pm

It's usually difficult to explain a short-term market move with one event. Occasionally they're clearly related, but mostly not.

In terms of the executive action, the incoming administration had announced its intention to do just that, and the main opposing candidate announced the same, both prior to the election, so this week's news in that regard was not this week's news at all, other, perhaps, than by reducing the risk that the president would choose not to carry out the specific campaign pledge.

PJW

Quark

Post by Quark » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:51 pm

Any ramifications are already reflected in pricing, so the time for action has passed.

I'm not sure why you believe withdrawal was good for EM companies, but that may be beyond the scope of this forum.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:45 pm

Thread locked for moderator review.

Update: See below.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:10 pm

Upon further review, this thread is unlocked. An executive order is a change in law.

Please stay focused on the investing impacts to this change in law. Political comments remain off-topic.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

ANC

Post by ANC » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:52 pm

I would not expect any noticeable effect.

It was expected and affects only a small part of foreign trade, which is only a part of the international economic picture.It does nothing to affect the free trade pacts the US has with 6, I believe, of the other 12 TPP countries.