REGISTRATION FOR THE 2017 BOGLEHEAD CONTEST

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: REGISTRATION FOR THE 2017 BOGLEHEAD CONTEST

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:14 am

As noted on the previous page, Taylor Larimore will start a new 2018 thread on Jan 1st. Guesses should be made in the new thread.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:53 am

Bruce wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:33 am
Happy New Year Taylor,

Thanks once again for sharing the "Nuts" Christmas message from Bastogne!

I was lucky enough to win this years Boglehead's SP 500 closing price contest.

Since last year I finished #365 from the top, it just shows that saying about "even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while" merits some truth, as I have no idea what the SP 500 will do next month or next year; but I have learned from Jack Bogle to "Stay the Course" and not bet against the US Economy, and to always be optimistic about the future of our amazing country in the long run no matter what the short term trials and turmoil may be.

In claiming the contest prize, I would humbly like to request a copy of The Clash of the Cultures: Investment vs. Speculation by John Bogle.

I would also gratefully like to request a copy of your own, and soon to be released, The Bogleheads' Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio: How a Simple Portfolio of Three Total Market Index Funds Outperforms Most Investors with Less Risk by Taylor Larimore.

My greatest appreciation to you, for your service to our country, for all you have done for the Bogleheads, and for the wisdom you have shared with your many helpful postings over the years.

All the best to you and Jack Bogle, and all the Bogleheads in 2018, 2019 and beyond!

sincerely
Bruce
Congratulations, Bruce.
Nice acceptance post.
Best Wishes, | Joe

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:31 pm

Oh, 2017. Never mind.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:37 pm

Congratulations, Bruce!

TravelforFun

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:42 pm

Congrats, Bruce! :beer
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

BRUCE--2017 CONTEST WINNER

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:49 pm

Bruce:

You are a great winner. We admire you for your perseverance and optimistic attitude. I know Mr. Bogle will be pleased to send you his great book, "The Clash of the Cultures -- Investment vs. Speculation." It is included in my "Investment Gems" and includes his "Ten Simple Rules for Investment Success."

I will send you, "The Bogleheads' Guide to The Three-Fund Portfolio" when it is published in April (available at Amazon for pre-order now).

Congratulations and Best Wishes.

Happy New Year!
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:03 pm

Congratulations Bruce!
My guess was not as lucky, coming in at the 425 position. Thankfully, I do not act upon my predictions when it comes to investing, instead I let the market do the hard work. Well, most of the time. :wink:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:51 pm

Congrats Bruce! :beer
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: BRUCE--2017 CONTEST WINNER

Post by abuss368 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:52 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:49 pm
You are a great winner. We admire you for your perseverance and optimistic attitude. I know Mr. Bogle will be pleased to send you his great book, "The Clash of the Cultures -- Investment vs. Speculation." It is included in my "Investment Gems" and includes his "Ten Simple Rules for Investment Success."
This is a gem!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:00 pm

Thanks.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:54 pm

Bruce wrote: Happy New Year Taylor,

Thanks once again for sharing the "Nuts" Christmas message from Bastogne!

I was lucky enough to win this years Boglehead's SP 500 closing price contest.

Since last year I finished #365 from the top, it just shows that saying about "even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while" merits some truth, as I have no idea what the SP 500 will do next month or next year; but I have learned from Jack Bogle to "Stay the Course" and not bet against the US Economy, and to always be optimistic about the future of our amazing country in the long run no matter what the short term trials and turmoil may be.

In claiming the contest prize, I would humbly like to request a copy of The Clash of the Cultures: Investment vs. Speculation by John Bogle.

I would also gratefully like to request a copy of your own, and soon to be released, The Bogleheads' Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio: How a Simple Portfolio of Three Total Market Index Funds Outperforms Most Investors with Less Risk by Taylor Larimore.

My greatest appreciation to you, for your service to our country, for all you have done for the Bogleheads, and for the wisdom you have shared with your many helpful postings over the years.

All the best to you and Jack Bogle, and all the Bogleheads in 2018, 2019 and beyond!

sincerely
Bruce
Nice warm acceptance, Bruce :happy Are you really way up there in Alaska? Is that the secret to your success? - long long winter nights reading financial tomes by the light of the northern lights? 8-)

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:35 pm

Aptenodytes wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:00 pm
Thanks.
It's too late for 2017 and too early for the 2018 contest.

OOPS... looks like I missed it too. 2018 is now closed. :greedy
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle