How to Search for Author/Scholars' Forum Posts?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Federal Agent

How to Search for Author/Scholars' Forum Posts?

Post by Federal Agent »

Does anyone know if there is a complete list (or a way to search) for all Boglehead Scholars and Authors' "handles" or "usernames" who have posted on the Board?

I searched the Boglehead Wiki and found several academic scholars and authors, but can't cross reference their "username/handles."
Last edited by Federal Agent on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JRA

Re: Searching for all Author/Scholars' Posts?

Post by JRA »

You might want to limit your inquiry to those who have published on investing and finance. I am sure I am not the only one who has publications in academic fields other than finance.
Topic Author
Federal Agent

Post by Federal Agent »

JRA wrote:You might want to limit your inquiry to those who have published on investing and finance. I am sure I am not the only one who has publications in academic fields other than finance.
Hi JRA,

Thank you for posting; however, I'm not sure what you are advising.... Can you further explain how to do what you are suggesting. Thank you again for your time.
Topic Author
Federal Agent

Post by Federal Agent »

For what it's worth, I'm aware of these scholars / Authors who regularly post on the Board:

William Bernstein (aka Bill Bernstein)
Larry Swedroe (aka larryswedroe)

Just trying to see if, for example, Author Bill Schulthesis (The Coffee House Investor) has a "handle" and posts on the Board..... Or say, Prof Burton Malkiel's "handle"... Is there list on the Wiki? or some other way to find Scholars and other authors who post on the Board?
Sailor36

Post by Sailor36 »

A search on Amazon for "Bogleheads Guide" will give you a good start

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... eads+Guide
retire57

Post by retire57 »

JRA wrote:You might want to limit your inquiry to those who have published on investing and finance. I am sure I am not the only one who has publications in academic fields other than finance.
+1
Topic Author
Federal Agent

Re: Searching for Author/Scholars' Forum Posts?

Post by Federal Agent »

Thanks for the Bogleheads book suggestion. I now remember that each chapter has a Boglehead author with their "handle" that they use here on the Board. But, that wouldn't include other authors that I just happen to alteady recognize (e.g., larry swedroe or William Bernstein)....

See my prior post(s).... Anyone know of a way to find authors and scholars who participate on the Board?
Topic Author
Federal Agent

Re: Searching for Author/Scholars' Forum Posts?

Post by Federal Agent »

Bumped for any other comments
Peter Foley

Re: How to Search for Author/Scholars' Forum Posts?

Post by Peter Foley »

You might check Taylor's Gem lists. I know Mike Piper posts here as does Rick Ferri.

There are also a number of scholars whose books and articles are referenced - Wade Pfau and Michael Kitces come to mind.

If you are interested in a specific topic the BH Wiki often has links to articles - again, like the two scholars mentioned above, no guarantee that they post here.
qwertyjazz

Post by qwertyjazz »

There are a lot of ridiculously smart people who post here. Some are better than those who may have written a book along the way. Find a response you like then look up all they wrote.
Check out Tyler9000 for an example of someone who has built an amazing website with really cool toys and insightful posts yet I am not sure if he/she is a published author.
What particularly are you looking for? What do you want to learn about? Be careful of ad hominem fallacy is not only for negative things but just because you are a well respected author or academic does not mean everything you write is genius
Good luck
G.E. Box "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
Topic Author
Federal Agent

Post by Federal Agent »

Peter Foley wrote:You might check Taylor's Gem lists. I know Mike Piper posts here as does Rick Ferri.

There are also a number of scholars whose books and articles are referenced - Wade Pfau and Michael Kitces come to mind.

If you are interested in a specific topic the BH Wiki often has links to articles - again, like the two scholars mentioned above, no guarantee that they post here.
Pfau adn Kitches are good exeamples. My original question is there anyway of knowing their and other Boglehead Usernames? Is there a Wiki page? etc...
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Federal Agent wrote:Pfau and Kitces are good examples. My original question is there anyway of knowing their and other Boglehead Usernames? Is there a Wiki page? etc...
If such authors do not use their real author name as their Boglehead username, then perhaps they wish to participate and post here anonymously, sort of like a secret federal agent :D

BTW, our mentor, Jack Bogle, posts using his real name :happy
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 30#p366530
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

No, there is no Who's Who to my knowledge, and obviously there's no way to know those who do not wish to reveal themselves.

Obviously, not all authors of popular personal finance and investing books are scholars, and not all scholars are authors of popular personal finance and investing books. There's some highly intelligent financial folks here who don't hold themselves out as having published but are definitely worth reading. There's also some posters who are known to have published who have provided incomplete, incorrect, or misleading information at one time or another. Nobody is infallible, and people have biases, so I would not curate my Bogleheads content this way. If it was just a curiosity, you've already stumbled upon most of the known authors by responses in this thread.
Quod vitae sectabor iter?