VBR higher p/e than VTI & lower growth

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
investorguy1

VBR higher p/e than VTI & lower growth

Postby investorguy1 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:14 pm

Is this a bad time to tilt to SCV?

VBR p/e 24.4
VTI p/e 24

VBR earnings growth 8.2
VTI growth rate 6.7

Small Cap has a growth rate of 9.4 but a whopping PE of 30!

livesoft

Re: VBR higher p/e than VTI & lower growth

Postby livesoft » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:17 pm

Who knows? Can you predict the future? I sure cannot.

I will say that VBR is a very large percentage my portfolio, but I stopped rebalancing out of it in order to ride the upward momentum. I'm not buying anymore nor am I buying back the shares I recently sold.

I will continue to sell VTI to rebalance.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Theoretical

Postby Theoretical » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:27 pm

Price to sales, price to book, and price to cash flow are all better for small value than total market.

investorguy1

Postby investorguy1 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:04 pm

So I'm the only one who is surprised by the p/e? :happy

JoMoney

Postby JoMoney » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:51 am

investorguy1 wrote:So I'm the only one who is surprised by the p/e? :happy

What may be really surprising to you, is how bad the earnings are depending on how they're aggregated. The way Vanguard computes the P/E ratio for a mutual fund are a bit different than how an index may calculate it. The Index itself may divide the aggregate of the share prices by the aggregate of all the earnings together. A mutual fund might average it by the weighted amount of individual companies, and may disregard companies with negative earnings or set extremely high or low earnings to some arbitrary cap.

For example, the broad Russell 2000 Index has not even had positive earnings over the past year. The trailing 12 months P/E is being reported as "NIL" by the WSJ
http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2 ... yield.html
But the way Vanguard calculates P/E for the Russell 2000 Index Fund it has a trailing P/E of 35.1
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/ ... =INT#tab=2

And aggregated/calculated still a different way, would be the way iShares does it for there funds, giving the Russell 2000 Index Fund a P/E of 21.82
https://www.ishares.com/us/products/239710/IWM
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

garlandwhizzer

Postby garlandwhizzer » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:30 pm

Everything, VBR, VTI, VOO, etc., in the US seems generously valued relative to historical norms. Switching from one to another at this point may not make a lot of difference in short or even perhaps intermediate term returns. Had you switched a year ago into VBR after long years of its underperformance, you would have reaped outsized gains relative to VTI. Those gains however have adjusted valuations, the SCV low fruit has been picked at present. The reason to switch now is not to harvest short term reward but (if you fully believe in the SCV premium) to position yourself for expected long term outperformance with a long term buy and hold strategy. People tend to skate where the puck was, moving into asset classes that have recently outperformed, but that fact itself sometimes diminishes the very thing they seek in the short term at least.

Garland Whizzer

David Jay

Postby David Jay » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:52 pm

garlandwhizzer wrote:People tend to skate where the puck was, moving into asset classes that have recently outperformed...

+1
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" Niels Bohr

Theoretical

Postby Theoretical » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:55 pm

Midcaps are definitely that way over the last few years.

investorguy1

Postby investorguy1 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:14 pm

David Jay wrote:
garlandwhizzer wrote:People tend to skate where the puck was, moving into asset classes that have recently outperformed...

+1

I'm not trying to skate I just find it odd that small cap value and total market have the same p/e. Jo money might be on the money.

investorguy1

Postby investorguy1 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:46 pm

JoMoney wrote:

What may be really surprising to you, is how bad the earnings are depending on how they're aggregated. The way Vanguard computes the P/E ratio for a mutual fund are a bit different than how an index may calculate it. The Index itself may divide the aggregate of the share prices by the aggregate of all the earnings together. A mutual fund might average it by the weighted amount of individual companies, and may disregard companies with negative earnings or set extremely high or low earnings to some arbitrary cap.

For example, the broad Russell 2000 Index has not even had positive earnings over the past year. The trailing 12 months P/E is being reported as "NIL" by the WSJ
But the way Vanguard calculates P/E for the Russell 2000 Index Fund it has a trailing P/E of 35.1

And aggregated/calculated still a different way, would be the way iShares does it for there funds, giving the Russell 2000 Index Fund a P/E of 21.82

Crazy stuff I thought the SEC would regulate this kind of stuff. So where is the best place to get good information? Does this mean that VBR really probably has a lower PE than VTI and Vanguard just has it wrong?

sunnywindy

Postby sunnywindy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:55 pm

investorguy1 wrote:
JoMoney wrote:

Crazy stuff I thought the SEC would regulate this kind of stuff. So where is the best place to get good information? Does this mean that VBR really probably has a lower PE than VTI and Vanguard just has it wrong?

I would use Morningstar to compare apples to apples (although sometimes I think their data is incorrect!).