Swedroe's book

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Beat The Street

Swedroe's book

Post by Beat The Street » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:50 am

In Your Complete Guide to Factor-Based Investing on pages 169-170 I have the same paragraph printed 3 times in a row. Does anyone else see this?
“Never ask anyone for their opinion, forecast, or recommendation. Just ask them what they have—or don’t have—in their portfolio.” -Taleb

larryswedroe

Re: Swedroe's book

Post by larryswedroe » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:58 am

Yes, we found the printer made several errors that we cannot explain how they happened as they were not in our text we gave them.

One is the table on page 62, table 3:1 where the last figure should be 94, not 9 (which is presented correctly in later tables)

The other is the repeated paragraphs you note.

We have made these corrections, and one other and some additions to the Appendix listing funds (to include more of the funds we utilize) in the E version (kindle) which I'm told should be out any day now. And the corrections will also be in future printings.

My apologies for the errors

Hopefully that doesn't detract from your getting value out of the book.
And as always happen to answer questions from readers, and if prefer can PM or email me.

Best wishes
Larry

Beat The Street

Post by Beat The Street » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:09 am

It was still an extremely valuable book. I was just curious. Thanks for responding.
“Never ask anyone for their opinion, forecast, or recommendation. Just ask them what they have—or don’t have—in their portfolio.” -Taleb

larryswedroe

Post by larryswedroe » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:42 am

beat the street
Glad you enjoyed the book and found it helpful

Given that we have self published it and can decide when to issue an update my co-author Andrew Berkin and I have discussed putting out an update every few years.

Best wishes
Larry

Svensk Anga

Post by Svensk Anga » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:54 am

There were also a couple lines missing from Table 9.2. I posted these earlier:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=204054&p=3127879#p3127879

My copy does not have the errors mentioned up-thread.

larryswedroe

Post by larryswedroe » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:02 pm

yes Svensk, and we have already fixed some of the problems. Each round we get closer to getting it right. (:-))
That's at least one good thing about the new world of printing very small runs and having eversions.
Larry

tarheel

Post by tarheel » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:26 am

larryswedroe wrote:beat the street

Given that we have self published it and can decide when to issue an update my co-author Andrew Berkin and I have discussed putting out an update every few years.

Best wishes
Larry
COOL!!!! :sharebeer

Ever Ready

Post by Ever Ready » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:58 pm

Amazon is showing "Out of Print - Limited Availability"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0692783652/re ... Y70MWATS8L

stumblebum

Post by stumblebum » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:23 pm

blaming the printer seems a bit flimsy--i've been in publishing many years. Sounds like you didn't have an adequate editing/proofing process. Printers just print what they are given. maybe you went with a low-ball print arrangement, in that case its on you. no excuses. perhaps you would have been better served if you used a more professional process. having such blantant errors casts doubt on the integrity of the publication.
Last edited by stumblebum on Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

larryswedroe

Post by larryswedroe » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:27 pm

stumblebum
We worked with firm we had worked with before who has lots of experience. Mistakes just happen. And they were not ours in the submission. That was checked even after we learned of the mistakes. And it's out of print because we are making the corrections.

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:50 pm

stumblebum wrote:blaming the printer seems a bit flimsy--i've been in publishing many years. Sounds like you didn't have an adequate editing/proofing process. Printers just print what they are given. maybe you went with a low-ball print arrangement, in that case its on you. no excuses. perhaps you would have been better served if you used a more professional process. having such blantant errors casts doubt on the integrity of the publication.
OMG, I think you need a drink. :sharebeer

larryswedroe

Post by larryswedroe » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:36 pm

Little good news, I'm told the publisher now has the eversion ready and should not take Amazon more than day or so to get it up. Same for the corrections to the printed version

Best wishes
Larry

larryswedroe

Post by larryswedroe » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:24 am

Finally the kindle version is now available here Your Complete Guide to Factor-Based Investing: The Way Smart Money Invests Today

Best wishes
Larry

[Link formatted by admin LadyGeek]

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:34 am

larryswedroe wrote:Finally the kindle version is now available here Your Complete Guide to Factor-Based Investing: The Way Smart Money Invests Today

Best wishes
Larry

[Link formatted by admin LadyGeek]
Larry,

1) Hooray!! Just bought a copy.

2) Thanks for writing.

KlangFool

larryswedroe

Post by larryswedroe » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:36 am

Klangfool And it should have all the errors corrected too (:-)). Hopefully can get that print version available up too, don't know what's holding that up
Best wishes
Larry

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:45 am

larryswedroe wrote:Klangfool And it should have all the errors corrected too (:-)). Hopefully can get that print version available up too, don't know what's holding that up
Best wishes
Larry
Larry,

I have limited space for printed book in my home. So, I have been waiting for the kindle version of this book.

Thanks.

KlangFool

matjen

Post by matjen » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:50 am

larryswedroe wrote:stumblebum
We worked with firm we had worked with before who has lots of experience. Mistakes just happen. And they were not ours in the submission. That was checked even after we learned of the mistakes. And it's out of print because we are making the corrections.
My undergraduate diploma from the University of Wisconsin was misspelled. The diploma read: University of Wisconson. They wanted us to send them all back in for a correction. I decided to keep mine as is. Brings back memories of many a drunken night on State Street. :wink:

Just bought the Kindle version. Thanks for writing it Larry.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

CJCorcoran

Post by CJCorcoran » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:53 am

larryswedroe wrote:Klangfool And it should have all the errors corrected too (:-)). Hopefully can get that print version available up too, don't know what's holding that up
Best wishes
Larry
Hi Larry,

I read the book and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had a question about the preferred funds in the back. I see that FNDA and FNDE are listed, but not FNDC. Could you please explain why? I believe FNDC meets the fund eligibility criteria -- has over $100 million, a good amount of trading volume, same strategy employed as FNDA/E, etc.

Thanks,
Chris

larryswedroe

Post by larryswedroe » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:52 am

CJ
This one just fell short of OUR requirements, which are higher than for what an individual might want to see as we are very large firm and of course then tend to trade same funds around same time for rebalancing and TLH purposes. Implementation costs matter. This was just short.

In terms of our criteria for approval of ETFs, we look for the following:
• At least $100 million in AUM
• At least $5 million of average trading volume
• We look at the average bid-ask spread on the fund and add that to the expense ratio. Once that adjustment is made, we compare the “all in” expense of the ETF to other funds in the asset class and if it is in the ballpark, we’ll approve it.

Best wishes
Larry

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:36 pm

Congratulations on the Kindle version, Larry.

Ordered - I look forward to reading it over winter break!

Best,
oldzey
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

rapporteur

Post by rapporteur » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:59 pm

Dear Mr Swedroe,

I purchased the paper version of "Your Complete Guide to Factor-Based Investing" and found it interesting and informative.

However, my early-run copy has all the errors and omissions described above.

May I suggest that you, the publisher, or possibly even Amazon, put up an "Errata" webpage (i.e., since many who purchase the book may not be frequenters of the Bogleheads forum). I, for one, would be glad to have the revised fund and ETF list without having to purchase another paper or Kindle version.

Regards,

larryswedroe

Post by larryswedroe » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:27 pm

Rapporteur
Thanks for the suggestion. Passing it on.
Larry

larryswedroe

Post by larryswedroe » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:31 pm

Just an fyi, I note that Amazon now has both the kindle and paperback up on the site, so looks like all is good now. Thanks for your patience.
Larry

Theoretical

Post by Theoretical » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:29 pm

I just finished the book (kindle) and really enjoyed it!

larryswedroe

Post by larryswedroe » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:57 pm

theoretical
Glad you did and hope you also found that it increased your knowledge!!
As always happy to answer questions from readers here or via email if want a more personal answer
Best wishes
Larry

JasonF

Post by JasonF » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:03 pm

Larry,

Just purchased the Kindle version and I'm looking forward to reading it.