Best way to Track VTIAX day to day?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
SpartanBull

Best way to Track VTIAX day to day?

Post by SpartanBull »

My portfolio primarily consists of VTSAX and VTIAX. While not actionable, I like to keep an eye on the Dow and S and P 500 just to give me a general idea of how things are going. That being said, are there any indexes along these lines that are good to track to get an idea for how VTIAX is going? The VTIAX symbol doesnt move during the day, and only updates at the end of the day. So I'm just curious what could be used as a good indicator, similar to how S and P 500, the dow, etc give a pretty good general idea for VTSAX is doing.
DSInvestor

Re: Best way to Track VTIAX day to day?

Post by DSInvestor »

VXUS is the ETF share class of Vanguard Total International Stock Market Index.
VTI is the ETF share class of Vanguard Total Stock Market Index.

Check these two tickers while the market is open.
Wiki
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

Those ETF symbols are good to use as a proxies but keep in mind that the closing price on any given day the percentage change in the ETF can vary from that of the open ended mutual fund. I use BND for VBTLX, VG Total Bond Index admiral and have observed they do not always move in tandem.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

SpartanBull wrote:My portfolio primarily consists of VTSAX and VTIAX. While not actionable, I like to keep an eye on the Dow and S and P 500 just to give me a general idea of how things are going. That being said, are there any indexes along these lines that are good to track to get an idea for how VTIAX is going? The VTIAX symbol doesnt move during the day, and only updates at the end of the day. So I'm just curious what could be used as a good indicator, similar to how S and P 500, the dow, etc give a pretty good general idea for VTSAX is doing.
SpartanBull:

Morningstar's home page (http://www.morningstar.com) has a chart and minute by minute prices for various indexes. It's about half-way down on the right side. I took a look. At this moment, stocks are down (in red) nearly everywhere in the world.

You're right. It's "not actionable" and will only make you happy or sad to watch it -- with perhaps a bit of learning.

Stay the course.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle