Today was an RBD ... [Really Bad Day]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
livesoft

Today was an RBD ... [Really Bad Day]

Post by livesoft » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:00 pm

... for at least one asset class. grap0013, were you buying?
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

CaliJim

Re: Today was an RBD ...

Post by CaliJim » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:40 pm

Please...save me the analysis... which asset class. Long bonds? (which I don't own)
-calijim- | | For more info, click this

hawkfan55

Post by hawkfan55 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:42 pm

What is RBD? ..... Buying Day?

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:53 pm

hawkfan55 wrote:What is RBD? ..... Buying Day?

Really Bad Day.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

FillorKill

Post by FillorKill » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:00 pm

CaliJim wrote:Please...save me the analysis... which asset class. Long bonds? (which I don't own)

My guess is livesoft was talking about EM - but duration had a bad hair day too - ZROZ down 6.6%

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Today was an RBD ... [Really Bad Day]

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:17 pm

This thread is now in the Investing - Theory, News & General (general investing).

The acronym is in the wiki: Abbreviations and Acronyms

RBD - Really Bad Day. A Bogleheads' idiomatic term coined by forum member livesoft. An early mention is in this thread: Today was a Really Bad Day.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:22 pm

livesoft wrote:... for at least one asset class. grap0013, were you buying?

grap0013 should have already bought EM last week when it closed lower.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

Day9

Post by Day9 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:31 pm

Today is a great reminder to diversify globally and across asset classes, and to stay the course. Two very important Boglehead core principles.
I'm just a fan of the person I got my user name from

spectec

Post by spectec » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:20 pm

I agree.
I'm diversified across Fixed Income & VTI with my Asset Allocation formula.
I'm diversified globally with the international operations of the companies in VTI.
Thanks for the reminder.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:51 pm

Stretch,,
Then,,,
Yawn :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

danaht

Post by danaht » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:18 pm

It was also a really bad day for real estate (VNQ) and utilities (VPU). I'm thinking this is probably due to fear of possible rate hike(s) by the FED.

grap0013

Post by grap0013 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:30 pm

I have no cash on hand. 100% of my paycheck contribution will go towards EM on Friday though. Maybe I'll get lucky and we will get a couple more RBDs so I get a cheaper price then.
There are no guarantees, only probabilities.

peppers

Post by peppers » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:36 pm

401k contribution went in today, intermediate investment grade bonds and US/ex US equity.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:40 pm

RBD? We're up 12k.
...I might be just beginning | I might be near the end. Enya | | C'est la vie

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:40 pm

grap0013 wrote:

I have no cash on hand. 100% of my paycheck contribution will go towards EM on Friday though. Maybe I'll get lucky and we will get a couple more RBDs so I get a cheaper price then.

You could have exchanged IJS for DGS. :twisted:

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:53 pm

livesoft wrote:
grap0013 wrote:

Okay, I'm tempted to start a position in DGS now, part of my 10% EM tilt (I tilt value domestically but my portfolio is small enough that I haven't seriously tilted value internationally yet, only small). I only have about $4000 available; do you think that's worth the transaction costs vs. VWO for an ETF buy at Vanguard. Fortune favors the bold, and this seems like the right time to take investment risks :twisted:
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

MindBogler

Post by MindBogler » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:55 pm

I rebalanced out of bonds into SCV about 3 days ago. The only thing bad today is now my bonds went from 0 -> -5% band and SCV is at +6%. I don't like making moves in quick succession and I can't say I've ever hit a band twice in 3 days, so I'll just wait it out for awhile.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:58 pm

MindBogler wrote:I rebalanced out of bonds into SCV about 3 days ago. The only thing bad today is now my bonds went from 0 -> -5% band and SCV is at +6%. I don't like making moves in quick succession and I can't say I've ever hit a band twice in 3 days, so I'll just wait it out for awhile.

I think you will regret not rebalancing back.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:01 pm

triceratop wrote:... do you think that's worth the transaction costs vs. VWO for an ETF buy at Vanguard. Fortune favors the bold, and this seems like the right time to take investment risks :twisted:

I cannot say for sure, but probably not. I will tell you that I will sell the DGS I bought today if it goes up even a little bit in the next few days.

MindBogler

Post by MindBogler » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:01 pm

livesoft wrote:
MindBogler wrote:I rebalanced out of bonds into SCV about 3 days ago. The only thing bad today is now my bonds went from 0 -> -5% band and SCV is at +6%. I don't like making moves in quick succession and I can't say I've ever hit a band twice in 3 days, so I'll just wait it out for awhile.

I think you will regret not rebalancing back.

Tomorrow is a new day. If it is still down at the open, I will accept your challenge!

grap0013

Post by grap0013 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:22 am

triceratop wrote:
livesoft wrote:
grap0013 wrote:

Okay, I'm tempted to start a position in DGS now, part of my 10% EM tilt (I tilt value domestically but my portfolio is small enough that I haven't seriously tilted value internationally yet, only small). I only have about $4000 available; do you think that's worth the transaction costs vs. VWO for an ETF buy at Vanguard. Fortune favors the bold, and this seems like the right time to take investment risks :twisted:

Swap out half you VWO for a 50:50 mix of DGS + either PXH/FNDE. Then we'll watch 5 year returns. EM value is cheap.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:04 am

And DGS continues to go down while IJS continues to go up.

Engineer250

Post by Engineer250 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:39 am

danaht wrote:It was also a really bad day for real estate (VNQ) and utilities (VPU). I'm thinking this is probably due to fear of possible rate hike(s) by the FED.

Yeah noticed my VNQ was down, but not down enough. I had a rollover that wasn't invested that a couple months ago I had to split up amongst my normal asset allocation. I held off on only the VNQ part of it, since VNQ had gone up so much in the last year, and I've been dollar cost averaging about 1/10th or less of the money meant for VNQ into it at around the beginning of each month. This seems to have paid off since VNQ has done nothing but drop since my rollover was complete. I might bite the bullet and go all in once it reaches $72. Or I might keep DCA-ing. Who knows. Everyone has been saying "I wouldn't buy REIT right now" but it's part of my asset allocation, so, there it is. And nothing's changed my mind about wanting to have it.

Speaking of hypotheticals and planning for the future I would appreciate some advise/understanding...if someone expects inflation to pick up next year, does that change anything about asset allocation? Is it better to hold off on buying bonds until after inflation has picked up or does it not matter? If inflation picks up is it expected that long term interest rates will pick up as well? My understanding is the fed only controls short term interest rates, not long term. So I'm wondering what might happen to bond funds (not individual bonds) and if there is a prescription. I am a youngin', so have never lived in a high inflation environment, and would like to know what to expect if nothing else but to be prepared to handle it and do nothing.
Where the tides of fortune take us, no man can know.

MindBogler

Post by MindBogler » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:44 am

livesoft wrote:I think you will regret not rebalancing back.

I rebalanced back. Que sera sera!

grap0013

Post by grap0013 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:18 pm

livesoft wrote:And DGS continues to go down while IJS continues to go up.

My patient rebalancing looks like it may pay off....

Interesting 2 days between SCV and DGS. Spread yesterday 5+% in opposite directions and more negative correlation today. It's not that common for these two to be in opposite directions, with this magnitude, and in consecutive days.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:51 pm

China now has a bullseye on it, so exchange rates and other things make EM a bad deal.

Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:23 pm

There is a lot going on inside the market that is invisible to indexers. Today's action had a large downtick in consumer staples and defensive stocks, and an uptick in cyclicals.

Pretty interesting stuff if that persists.

Johnnie

Post by Johnnie » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:36 pm

Heh heh - I began transitioning into the Ultimate slice and dice one year ago, with EM my first bite (SCHE). It's 8 percent of my equities (total equities 40 percent international).

This went down early in the year with everything else, but then roared through the summer. This week I was introduced to the experience of them going down even faster than they go up.

Doesn't really qualify as an RBD though because they're still up for the year and 12 months.

<shrug> We'll get there Pop.
"I know nothing."

Johnnie

Post by Johnnie » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:37 pm

Johnnie wrote:Heh heh - I began transitioning into the Ultimate slice and dice one year ago, with EM my first bite (SCHE). It's 8 percent of my equities (total equities 40 percent international).

This went down early in the year with everything else, but then roared through the summer. This week I was introduced to the experience of them going down even faster than they go up.

Doesn't really qualify as an RBD though because they're still up for 2016 and the past 12 months.

<shrug> We'll get there Pop.
"I know nothing."

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:39 pm

livesoft wrote:China now has a bullseye on it, so exchange rates and other things make EM a bad deal.

Slowing Chinese economy is doing more to bring down EM indices. Successful Singles Day will help stimulate the economy, so it should help EM rise. All in all, it's volatile, but full sail ahead.

FillorKill

Post by FillorKill » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:51 am

inbox788 wrote:Slowing Chinese economy is doing more to bring down EM indices. Successful Singles Day will help stimulate the economy, so it should help EM rise. All in all, it's volatile, but full sail ahead.

Per capita GDP growth and real stock returns have been negatively correlated. Economic growth might make China a nicer place to live for those successful singles but it isn't as likely to do our EM equity investments much good. :|

grap0013

Post by grap0013 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:56 am

Shoot my retirement contribution went thru a day early due to the holiday. Missed a 3% sale. Maybe EM will be lower in 2 weeks! :twisted:

danaht

Post by danaht » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:59 pm

The RBD turned into a RBW for Emerging Markets. I would add more -VWO (or IEMG/SCHE) but can't. My 401k contribution isn't until next month. I don't re-balance by selling either. My only re-balance plan is is to buy more of the assets that I am low on while still contributing.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:10 pm

REITs hit my rebalancing target and then some. So I bought more. Not large amounts since it's a small allocation.

My bonds, which had been high but not enough to trigger rebalancing, are now right on target.

Investments and their simple logic are a welcome source of calm amid turmoil.

MindBogler

Post by MindBogler » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:00 pm

My EM is at -3.57%. If this keeps up, I'll have to buy EM as well. It might be time to fund the Roth for the year...