Does Fidelity do Vanguard's 'Balances by Date' Feature

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
2retire

Does Fidelity do Vanguard's 'Balances by Date' Feature

Post by 2retire »

I've just discovered you can use Vanguard's site to go back in time and see your account balances on a specific date in the past.

My Accounts (menu) > Balances & Holdings > Balances by Date (tab)

I poked around the Fidelity site and couldn't find such a feature. Does anyone know if such a feature exists?

I check my balances at month end and calculate my portfolio's performance. However, sometimes I forget or I am traveling and don't have access to the internet. This feature makes it very easy to go back and get month end account balances.
Drew31

Re: Does Fidelity do Vanguard's 'Balances by Date' Feature

Post by Drew31 »

I use the statements tab. There you can enter in a specific date as one of the options.
Topic Author
2retire

Post by 2retire »

Interesting. My 'Statement's' tab doesn't have that option.

I know that Fidelity has many different websites, depending on which type of customer you are.

I have standard mutual funds and a work 401(k) through them. I don't have a brokerage account.
Drew31

Post by Drew31 »

That is interesting. Made me login to check. This is a 401k I have through my employer. I go to statements and can view online statements and it gives me the choices of monthly, quarterly, YTD, Specific date, or custom date range (w/in 24 mos).
Topic Author
2retire

Post by 2retire »

I logged in to check out my 401(k) through Fidelity. It is accessed through a sub-site of Fidelity called NetBenefits.

For my 401(k), I can in fact request a statement for a specific date.

I ended up calling Fidelity. The guy I spoke to really had no knowledge about how to do what i wanted to do.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Hmmmm....I logged into netbenefits and clicked statements and could choose dates in a number of ways including a specific date. I did that and it provided me everything I could think of.

I know in my brokerage account (where I can also see my 401k), I can go into performance and get a chart by date and slide to any specific date to get an account balance. I like this because it shows the trend in my portfolio.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
DayOfChange

Post by DayOfChange »

I wanted to do something similar with my fidelity account and was told by a fidelity rep that that option only exists in accounts over $25k. Seems like a strange rule to me.
gpburdell

Post by gpburdell »

The Fidelity netbenetfits lets you generate a statement with any date up to 2 years ago. Anything older than 2 years is not allowed. I found this a bit disappointing that statement data is fairly limited in the 401k account.

On the main Fidelity retail site, you can't arbitrarily pick a date and generate a statement to see a balance. However, the performance tab will let you see past balances at the beginning or end of a month, quarter or year. Go to the section on the page called "What drove your change in balance?". Pick the time frame and frequency.

I find the table very useful as I can see quickly for one or multiple accounts gains/losses, dividends, and deposits/withdrawals.

My only gripe is that I wished the performance data updated quicker. The data is only updated to the prior month and the update doesn't happen till the middle of the month. So the data may not reflect the last 2-6 weeks.
gpburdell

Post by gpburdell »

DayOfChange wrote:I wanted to do something similar with my fidelity account and was told by a fidelity rep that that option only exists in accounts over $25k. Seems like a strange rule to me.
I'm pretty sure that's not true as there is no option. My retail accounts (non 401k) total mid 6 figures and I have no option to get a past balance for a date I can specify.
DayOfChange

Post by DayOfChange »

I'm pretty sure that's not true as there is no option. My retail accounts (non 401k) total mid 6 figures and I have no option to get a past balance for a date I can specify.
Ah well. That's one of the features that I actually like about the vanguard site.