The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
GeraniumLover

Re: The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses

Post by GeraniumLover »

I just received this offer via email from E*Trade. Here a link to it: https://us.etrade.com/what-we-offer/how ... ks/winback. Seems to be only for ex-customers of E*Trade. I closed my E*Trade account in July.

Here's the small print from the email I received:

Offer valid for one new E*TRADE Securities non-retirement brokerage account opened by 12/31/20 and funded within 60 days of account opening with $5,000 or more.

NEW CUSTOMER OPENING ONLY ONE ACCOUNT
These rules strictly apply to clients who are opening a new E*TRADE account, do not have an existing E*TRADE account and do not open a new E*TRADE account for 60 days after enrollment in this offer. For other circumstances, please refer to the "Existing Clients or New Clients Opening More than One Account" disclosures below.

Cash credits will be granted based on deposits of new funds or securities from external accounts made within 60 days of account opening, as follows: $5,000-$9,999 will receive $50; $10,000-$24,999 will receive $100; $25,000-$99,999 will receive $200; $100,000-$199,999 will receive $500; $200,000-$249,999 will receive $800; $250,000-$499,999 will receive $1,000; $500,000-$999,999 will receive $1,500; $1,000,000 or more will receive $3,500.

Reward tiers under $200,000 ($5,000-$9,999; $10,000-$24,999; $25,000-$99,999; $100,000-$199,999) will be paid following the expiration of the 60-day period. However, if you deposit $200,000-$249,999, you will receive a cash credit within seven business days. If you have deposited at least $200,000 in the new account, and you make subsequent deposits in that account to reach a higher tier, you will receive a second cash credit following the close of the 60-day window. For example, if you deposit $200,000, you will receive a cash credit of $800 within seven business days, then if you deposit another $300,000 you will receive an additional cash credit of $700 at the end of the 60-day window for a total reward of $1,500. If you deposit $250,000 or more, you will receive your cash credit in two transactions at the end of the 60-day window—depending on your initial funding amount. If you deposit $1,000,000 when you open your account, you will receive two cash credits that will total $3,500 within seven business days from account opening.

EXISTING CLIENTS OR NEW CLIENTS OPENING MORE THAN ONE ACCOUNT
Existing clients or new clients opening more than one account are subject to different offer terms. Please click here to view offer terms.

OFFER RULES FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS
New funds or securities must be deposited or transferred within 60 days of enrollment in offer, be from accounts outside of E*TRADE, and remain in the account (minus any trading losses) for a minimum of twelve months or the cash credit(s) may be surrendered. For purposes of the value of a deposit, any securities transferred will be valued the first business day following completion of the deposit. Removing any deposit or cash during the promotion period (60 days) may result in lower reward amount or loss of reward. E*TRADE Securities reserves the right to terminate this offer at any time.

If you are attempting to enroll in this offer with a Joint Account, the primary account holder may have to fulfill at the tiers noted before the secondary account holder can enroll in this offer. If you experience any issues when attempting to enroll with a Joint Account, please contact us 800-387-2331 (800-ETRADE-1) and we will be able to assist you with your enrollment.

OFFER LIMITATIONS
This offer is not valid for unincorporated organization, E*TRADE Futures, E*TRADE Capital Management, E*TRADE Bank, E*TRADE Savings Bank accounts, or select retirement accounts including SEP IRA, SIMPLE IRA, retirement accounts for minors, profit sharing plans, money purchase pension plans, investment only noncustodial retirement plans and some business accounts. Excludes current E*TRADE and Morgan Stanley employees, including any subsidiaries thereof, non-U.S. residents, and any jurisdiction where this offer is not valid. You must be the original recipient of this offer to enroll. Customers may only be enrolled in one offer at a time. One offer per customer at a time. Cannot be combined with any other offers.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

GeraniumLover wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:52 pm I just received this offer via email from E*Trade. Here a link to it: https://us.etrade.com/what-we-offer/how ... ks/winback. Seems to be only for ex-customers of E*Trade. I closed my E*Trade account in July.

Here's the small print from the email I received:

OFFER LIMITATIONS
This offer is not valid for unincorporated organization, E*TRADE Futures, E*TRADE Capital Management, E*TRADE Bank, E*TRADE Savings Bank accounts, or select retirement accounts including SEP IRA, SIMPLE IRA, retirement accounts for minors, profit sharing plans, money purchase pension plans, investment only noncustodial retirement plans and some business accounts. Excludes current E*TRADE and Morgan Stanley employees, including any subsidiaries thereof, non-U.S. residents, and any jurisdiction where this offer is not valid. You must be the original recipient of this offer to enroll. Customers may only be enrolled in one offer at a time. One offer per customer at a time. Cannot be combined with any other offers.
You must be the original recipient of this offer to enroll.
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

People that have done the CITI one, is there any way to start an ACAT online?

I can't find it anywhere. Or do I have to call them to start it?
vkolli

Post by vkolli »

For those of you who have done Chase CPC, did they mention that the investments need to be under investment advisor and therefore will incur 1.5% management fee. That is what my CPC rep is telling me. They also have an issue with opening the account online. And since our local office are restricted due to Covid, they have to wait until these restrictions are lifted to open the account.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

vkolli wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:33 pm For those of you who have done Chase CPC, did they mention that the investments need to be under investment advisor and therefore will incur 1.5% management fee. That is what my CPC rep is telling me. They also have an issue with opening the account online. And since our local office are restricted due to Covid, they have to wait until these restrictions are lifted to open the account.
Not correct. No management fee. I've done this offer this year (enrolled in late June and bonus posted in early Oct).

It is a full service account so don't think you can trade yourself online.

I told the Private Client banker I would not come into the office during Covid and if that was a deal killer than so be it. She said, no worries we can handle it all over the phone. Detailed my experience upthread (look for my posts in June/July).
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
pre

Post by pre »

JustinR wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:05 am People that have done the CITI one, is there any way to start an ACAT online?

I can't find it anywhere. Or do I have to call them to start it?
You'll have to call them for the transfer form. It's a DocuSign you submit with your delivery firm statement
vkolli

Post by vkolli »

Thanks @mikeG62. I read your detailed experience - very informative.

When I confronted them with this information, they set me up with a CPC, who is doing it all online. They are scheduling an online appointment with investment adviser tomorrow. I guess I need to be prepared for their pitch. Although I would not be trading much, I need to sell some stocks in that account at a later time and move them to VTI ETF. So there is at least one trade that I need to do. Will see how they will do it.
hmw

Post by hmw »

MikeG62 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:01 pm
vkolli wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:33 pm For those of you who have done Chase CPC, did they mention that the investments need to be under investment advisor and therefore will incur 1.5% management fee. That is what my CPC rep is telling me. They also have an issue with opening the account online. And since our local office are restricted due to Covid, they have to wait until these restrictions are lifted to open the account.
Not correct. No management fee. I've done this offer this year (enrolled in late June and bonus posted in early Oct).

It is a full service account so don't think you can trade yourself online.

I told the Private Client banker I would not come into the office during Covid and if that was a deal killer than so be it. She said, no worries we can handle it all over the phone. Detailed my experience upthread (look for my posts in June/July).
I just did the CPC bonus too.

One minor correction. You can trade yourself online without any fees.
vkolli

Post by vkolli »

Oh, that would be good. They were telling me that any changes made to the account has to go through the advisor.
snowman

Post by snowman »

Thrifty Femme wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:54 pm
snowman wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:43 pm I have done investment bonuses with most brokers, but never with Chase, and online data points on CPC $2K offer are very limited. I'd like to confirm with people that already received the bonus that my understanding is 100% correct.

Steps needed to get $2K:

1. Meet with private banker, give them my online promo code, they will in turn convert my total checking account (that just received $300 bonus and is open just to satisfy 6-month bonus requirement) into CPC checking account, and connect me with investment advisor. Yes.

2. Meet with that person, give them my latest TDA statement, they will open CPC IRA account and initiate ACAT transfer. I did this digitally.

3. Wait 90 days, $2K bonus posts. After it posts, convert the account to YouInvest at no cost. Then transfer out of Chase for another bonus, since there isn't any minimum time requirement once bonus is paid. If you don't plan to stay with Chase, there's no reason to convert to YouInvest.

Seems easy enough, I have no problem talking to a banker or advisor. Couple questions:

1. Can I trade online for free without contacting my advisor in those 3-4 months with Chase? It seems the answer is yes, though someone posted they had to go through advisor. Would like clarification on that.
Not sure. The ability is available online, but I haven't tried to see what happens. Ask and let us know.

2. Does Chase reimburse outgoing account transfer fee from TDA? I will ask but would like to know from you guys. No.

3. Are there any hidden monthly account fees, or any AUM fees? Again, looking at fee schedule and the answer seems no, but wanted additional confirmation. No, tell them you don't want to sign up for AUM. My guy didn't try to sell after I said I've been a DIY investor for 20 years.

Thank you guys!
Please report back your findings.
Just wanted to report back that I called local branch to check whether IRA account is eligible for the bonus. The banker had no clue, and asked me to email him the promo I was referring to. After I emailed it to him, he still didn't have a clue, but said he will find out and will call me back. He did call back saying retirement accounts do not qualify for the promo. Bummer.
illumination

Post by illumination »

I had a land sale closing, and was shopping some brokerage bonuses.

On the E Trade one, $1 mil for $3500 , I guess you have to be specifically targeted for it?
https://us.etrade.com/promo/3500cfc-combined

Wondering is there a way to get emailed this offer and be targeted?

Just seems really odd to me why they can't match their own offer, wondering if there's a secret handshake or something. I called E-trade locally, they said they can't go above the $2,500.

I'm not super enthusiastic about E-Trade, but I plan to stay in a cash heavy position anyway, and I feel like I can't "not" take advantage of free money like this. I've been really happy with Schwab, but I can't get a match on this.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

illumination wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:39 am I had a land sale closing, and was shopping some brokerage bonuses.

On the E Trade one, $1 mil for $3500 , I guess you have to be specifically targeted for it?

Just seems really odd to me why they can't match their own offer, wondering if there's a secret handshake or something. I called E-trade locally, they said they can't go above the $2,500.

I'm not super enthusiastic about E-Trade, but I plan to stay in a cash heavy position anyway, and I feel like I can't "not" take advantage of free money like this. I've been really happy with Schwab, but I can't get a match on this.
How about this one from Chase ($3,000 for transferring in $500K):

https://account.chase.com/consumer/banking/XY62292
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

illumination wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:39 am On the E Trade one, $1 mil for $3500 , I guess you have to be specifically targeted for it?

I submitted to open a trust account online at Etrade. Being a trust account, I couldn't input in any promo code. A few days later, someone from the local office called me and told me that there is some promotion going on and he can input it for me. I asked about the $3500/$1m offer. He said he knew about it but it is a targeted offer. He said he will try to get approval for me to get that bonus.

He called me back a day later and told me that with the new Morgan Stanley bosses, he wasn't able to get approval for the $3500 bonus, but his local office boss has a pool of money to offer "ad-hoc" bonuses. He was able to get the boss to offer me an additional $500, making it $3000/$1m.

I find this rep pretty helpful. And he told me that if I have additional money to transfer, I should hold off first until I have collected the first bonus. :-)
My signature has been deleted.
illumination

Post by illumination »

indexfundfan wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:03 pm
illumination wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:39 am On the E Trade one, $1 mil for $3500 , I guess you have to be specifically targeted for it?

I submitted to open a trust account online at Etrade. Being a trust account, I couldn't input in any promo code. A few days later, someone from the local office called me and told me that there is some promotion going on and he can input it for me. I asked about the $3500/$1m offer. He said he knew about it but it is a targeted offer. He said he will try to get approval for me to get that bonus.

He called me back a day later and told me that with the new Morgan Stanley bosses, he wasn't able to get approval for the $3500 bonus, but his local office boss has a pool of money to offer "ad-hoc" bonuses. He was able to get the boss to offer me an additional $500, making it $3000/$1m.

I find this rep pretty helpful. And he told me that if I have additional money to transfer, I should hold off first until I have collected the first bonus. :-)

Thanks so much for this, I was getting basically the same spiel, just good to get confirmation. I can get $3,000 for $1mil and he said the same thing about waiting if you have more for a bigger bonus.
illumination

Post by illumination »

MikeG62 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:02 pm
illumination wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:39 am I had a land sale closing, and was shopping some brokerage bonuses.

Thanks, that's a great offer as well.
May take advantage of that one also.
Makaveli

Post by Makaveli »

illumination wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:35 pm

The fine print says You Invest accounts do not apply (self managed).
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

Makaveli wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:47 am

That's true, but it doesn't change the fact that you can get the $3,000 bonus for $500K transferred (or $2,000 for $250K transferred).

I signed up for the $2,000 bonus back in late June (bonus posted in early Oct). Yes, you need to meet/speak with a Chase PC banker and a JPM advisor. However, you don't need to sign up for anything which incurs fees. Simply tell the advisor you are DIY and you expect to be left alone. I have not spoken with the advisor assigned to my account since June. He periodically sends me invites to webcasts (which have been quite good), but otherwise leaves me alone. I made it clear from the beginning that if he bothered me I would pull the funds and end my relationship with Chase/JPM. Same for the PC banker. Relatively easy way to pick up a few thousand dollars. BTW, I transferred in shares in one broad-based equity ETF. Shares that would otherwise have been sitting in another broker. When I initially signed up in June, my plan was to pull/move the funds once the bonus posts. Since they don't bother me (and I have found the webcasts of some interest) I see no reason to rush to move the funds.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Makaveli wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:47 am The fine print says You Invest accounts do not apply (self managed).
I think the point was after going through the CPC progress and getting the bonus applied to the account, if you want to keep the account at Chase vs. move it elsewhere, then you can switch to YouInvest to avoid contact with the broker altogether. That said, as Mike pointed out, some of the brokers are good about leaving you alone.
Makaveli

Post by Makaveli »

BrandonBogle wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:01 pm
Makaveli wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:47 am The fine print says You Invest accounts do not apply (self managed).
I think the point was after going through the CPC progress and getting the bonus applied to the account, if you want to keep the account at Chase vs. move it elsewhere, then you can switch to YouInvest to avoid contact with the broker altogether. That said, as Mike pointed out, some of the brokers are good about leaving you alone.
That sounds similar to Chase bonus I did a few years back so makes sense. I must have missed the verbiage last time.

Alas, I have awhile to go before my Ally bonus hits. $3k is one of the highest I’ve seen.
illumination

Post by illumination »

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it says just a simple checking or savings account is valid for the bonus? Correct?

My plan was I have a certain amount in fixed income anyway, might as well collect the bonus as a form of interest for 60 days in an FDIC account.
Makaveli

Post by Makaveli »

illumination wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:22 pm

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it says just a simple checking or savings account is valid for the bonus? Correct?

My plan was I have a certain amount in fixed income anyway, might as well collect the bonus as a form of interest for 60 days in an FDIC account.
Correct, go get it.
Pow

Post by Pow »

The secret handshake offer for existing clients is at https://us.etrade.com/promo/5000cfc-combined
Says 6 months holding time in fine print but the confirmation e-mail I got after depositing funds had this language: “ Please note: Removing any deposited cash within twelve months may result in a lower reward amount or loss of the reward. ”
invest4

Post by invest4 »

snowman wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:33 pm
Thrifty Femme wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:54 pm
snowman wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:43 pm I have done investment bonuses with most brokers, but never with Chase, and online data points on CPC $2K offer are very limited. I'd like to confirm with people that already received the bonus that my understanding is 100% correct.

Steps needed to get $2K:

1. Meet with private banker, give them my online promo code, they will in turn convert my total checking account (that just received $300 bonus and is open just to satisfy 6-month bonus requirement) into CPC checking account, and connect me with investment advisor. Yes.

2. Meet with that person, give them my latest TDA statement, they will open CPC IRA account and initiate ACAT transfer. I did this digitally.

3. Wait 90 days, $2K bonus posts. After it posts, convert the account to YouInvest at no cost. Then transfer out of Chase for another bonus, since there isn't any minimum time requirement once bonus is paid. If you don't plan to stay with Chase, there's no reason to convert to YouInvest.

Seems easy enough, I have no problem talking to a banker or advisor. Couple questions:

1. Can I trade online for free without contacting my advisor in those 3-4 months with Chase? It seems the answer is yes, though someone posted they had to go through advisor. Would like clarification on that.
Not sure. The ability is available online, but I haven't tried to see what happens. Ask and let us know.

2. Does Chase reimburse outgoing account transfer fee from TDA? I will ask but would like to know from you guys. No.

3. Are there any hidden monthly account fees, or any AUM fees? Again, looking at fee schedule and the answer seems no, but wanted additional confirmation. No, tell them you don't want to sign up for AUM. My guy didn't try to sell after I said I've been a DIY investor for 20 years.

Thank you guys!
Please report back your findings.
Just wanted to report back that I called local branch to check whether IRA account is eligible for the bonus. The banker had no clue, and asked me to email him the promo I was referring to. After I emailed it to him, he still didn't have a clue, but said he will find out and will call me back. He did call back saying retirement accounts do not qualify for the promo. Bummer.
I recently received the offer and contacted CPC to look into it. My experience has been well meaning, but ill informed representatives. They literally read the written material to provide answers to basic questions such as the ones posted here. In regard to IRA accounts, I was also told they were not eligible and if you tried to do it, it would be treated as complete withdrawal and incur the expected taxes, etc. I also share the disappointment, but am also somewhat relieved as my interactions did not instill great confidence in their operations and what unexpected surprises may be in store. Glad to hear of others who have managed just fine. As always, thankful for the fine people here, helping each other.

Best wishes.
ZinCO

Post by ZinCO »

Pow wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:55 am

The secret handshake offer for existing clients is at https://us.etrade.com/promo/5000cfc-combined
Says 6 months holding time in fine print but the confirmation e-mail I got after depositing funds had this language: “ Please note: Removing any deposited cash within twelve months may result in a lower reward amount or loss of the reward. ”
I was unable to get the secret handshake offer, even after I pointed my local rep to it. They were adamant that it was only for those invited by email. They were able to sweeten the 2500cfc deal by $500 though.
LFKB

Who is currently offering the best incentives for bringing over significant assets?

Post by LFKB »

[This thread has been merged into the existing post on the topic- Mod Misenplace]

Looking to bring over a large ($1M+) amount of assets and curious what firms have the best offers currently

Thanks
cashheavy18

Re: Who is currently offering the best incentives for bringing over significant assets?

Post by cashheavy18 »

Etrade has an offer for $3k I believe for $1M in assets, it goes up from there.

I took advantage of it this summer and all went smoothly.
LFKB

Re: Who is currently offering the best incentives for bringing over significant assets?

Post by LFKB »

cashheavy18 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:15 pm Etrade has an offer for $3k I believe for $1M in assets, it goes up from there.

Ok thanks. I spoke with Merrill and they offered $5k. The guy then asked if that’s what I was expecting and I told him I was expecting $10k, and he said he would take it to his manager. It sounds like I’ll need a competing offer for though to get the $10k.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

LFKB wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:08 pm
cashheavy18 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:15 pm Etrade has an offer for $3k I believe for $1M in assets, it goes up from there.

Ok thanks. I spoke with Merrill and they offered $5k. The guy then asked if that’s what I was expecting and I told him I was expecting $10k, and he said he would take it to his manager. It sounds like I’ll need a competing offer for though to get the $10k.
When you say Merrill, is this a Merrill Lynch full service (advisor managed) account or a Merrill Edge DIY account?
LFKB

Post by LFKB »

MikeG62 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:07 am

When you say Merrill, is this a Merrill Lynch full service (advisor managed) account or a Merrill Edge DIY account?
The incentive is from Merrill Edge DIY (with no fees). I use Merrill Lynch also and have an advisor, but he has waived his fee completely.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

LFKB wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:14 pm

The incentive is from Merrill Edge DIY (with no fees). I use Merrill Lynch also and have an advisor, but he has waived his fee completely.
$5K is a solid bonus offer, even though it requires $1.0 million in transfers to get it.

The best deal I am aware of is $3K on $500K transferred with Chase, but you have to talk with a PC banker and a JPM advisor to get it.
hmw

Post by hmw »

How did you get the 5k offer from Merrill Edge? Did you just call their main number? The best I have gotten is $2500 for one million.

Thanks
LFKB

Post by LFKB »

hmw wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:15 pm

How did you get the 5k offer from Merrill Edge? Did you just call their main number? The best I have gotten is $2500 for one million.

Thanks
I told them I was shifting over assets (a few million) and to get back to me. The guy called me and offered me $5k but then he said something along the lines of "is that what you were thinking would be a good number?" and it became clear that he didn't want me to move them elsewhere, so I told him that I thought $10k was fair and he indicated they could get there but would have to be matching a competitor. Sounds like there may not be a competitor out there that offers that much though so $5k may be the limit.
spacecadet610

Post by spacecadet610 »

Pow wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:55 am

I went to that link and was able to enroll in that promotion and got a confirmation email. I wasn't targeted so maybe any existing client can sign up?

I talked to my personal platinum team rep last week, told him i want to move in $1million and he told me i wasn't eligible for any offers.

Hopefully this promotion would bypass him.
the way

Post by the way »

LFKB wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:28 pm
hmw wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:15 pm How did you get the 5k offer from Merrill Edge? Did you just call their main number? The best I have gotten is $2500 for one million.

Thanks
I told them I was shifting over assets (a few million) and to get back to me. The guy called me and offered me $5k but then he said something along the lines of "is that what you were thinking would be a good number?" and it became clear that he didn't want me to move them elsewhere, so I told him that I thought $10k was fair and he indicated they could get there but would have to be matching a competitor. Sounds like there may not be a competitor out there that offers that much though so $5k may be the limit.
I've always had bad luck going thru my assigned reps with Etrade and Merrill. The offers actually drop after talking to them! Ie. they'd say any link I showed them was targeted and only offer me a lower promo. This was even for the MoneyShow promo which is publicly available, and that I registered for, watched the online sessions, and signed up for the mailing lists. Frustrating! If you have a good rep, I would certainly want to PM you to get a name and I'll request to be reassigned.

However, your OP (before your thread was merged) mentions that you had 1m to transfer. A 5k bonus for 1m has never been heard of before. If you actually are talking about "a few million", then it makes more sense. The 5000cfc ETrade offer lists 5k for 2m. The best I ever saw in your range was last year's TD offer which you can still see online https://www.tdameritrade.com/landing-pa ... index.html - 6.6k for 2m and 12.7k for 5m. Maybe you can show them that.
LFKB

Post by LFKB »

the way wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:29 pm
LFKB wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:28 pm
hmw wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:15 pm How did you get the 5k offer from Merrill Edge? Did you just call their main number? The best I have gotten is $2500 for one million.

Thanks
I've always had bad luck going thru my assigned reps with Etrade and Merrill. The offers actually drop after talking to them! Ie. they'd say any link I showed them was targeted and only offer me a lower promo. This was even for the MoneyShow promo which is publicly available, and that I registered for, watched the online sessions, and signed up for the mailing lists. Frustrating! If you have a good rep, I would certainly want to PM you to get a name and I'll request to be reassigned.

However, your OP (before your thread was merged) mentions that you had 1m to transfer. A 5k bonus for 1m has never been heard of before. If you actually are talking about "a few million", then it makes more sense. The 5000cfc ETrade offer lists 5k for 2m. The best I ever saw in your range was last year's TD offer which you can still see online https://www.tdameritrade.com/landing-pa ... index.html - 6.6k for 2m and 12.7k for 5m. Maybe you can show them that.
I was being vague in my post and just said $1M+ but it is more like $4M. I sent them the E-Trade link and said they are offering $10K ($5k for moving $2M to my account and $5k for moving $2M to my wife's account) and asked if they could match. We'll see what they come back with.
spacecadet610

Post by spacecadet610 »

indexfundfan wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:03 pm

What do you mean if you have additional money to move, you should hold off first until you have collected the first bonus?

I signed up for the etrade promotion through the link and got email confirmation that I am enrolled.

I have over $1million to move. Should I move only $1million first to collect the bonus, then move over the rest of the money? The promotion states that I would receive $3500 for moving $1million after 60 days but doesn't say anything about additional bonus for moving more.

It does say that if I move $500k, i get $1500 after 7 business days then if i move another $500k i will get an extra $2000 after 60 days for a total of $3500.

Should i stagger the asset transfer?
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

E*TRADE has also been offering bonuses to existing customers who move over additional funds. So if the current new customer offer maxes out once you move $1 million, by delaying the transfer of anything over that amount, you may receive another bonus in the future when you move the rest.
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover »

spacecadet610 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:51 am
It does say that if I move $500k, i get $1500 after 7 business days then if i move another $500k i will get an extra $2000 after 60 days for a total of $3500.

Should i stagger the asset transfer?
Do you want an extra $1500 of 1099 income in 2020? If not, wait until the last week of December.
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

Does Chase Private Client reimburse transfer fees charged by other brokers (for inbound transfer to the JP Morgan Brokerage Account) ?
Impatience

Post by Impatience »

This is kind of peanuts compared to the rewards you guys are chasing but there’s a promo on tastyworks.com (it’s an option trading platform) through 12/31 that gives you 100 shares of stock for opening a new account and funding it with $2K.

The shares are worth an average of $2 apiece, so that’s a 10% return with a 3 month lockup. Not bad for little old me. Also while your cash is sitting in there you can put it in an ETF of your choice as they do support stock trading with I think zero fees.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Impatience wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:28 pm This is kind of peanuts compared to the rewards you guys are chasing but there’s a promo on tastyworks.com (it’s an option trading platform) through 12/31 that gives you 100 shares of stock for opening a new account and funding it with $2K.

The shares are worth an average of $2 apiece, so that’s a 10% return with a 3 month lockup. Not bad for little old me. Also while your cash is sitting in there you can put it in an ETF of your choice as they do support stock trading with I think zero fees.
I did an earlier TastyWorks bonus (I think I posted it) and all went smoothly. Yes, they do have a no-commission offering.
Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins »

I just signed up for the Merrill Edge preferred rewards offer. It took me all of 10 minutes to open the account and fill out the ACAT transfer form last night. As of today the securities are gone from my Fidelity account & should show up tonight or tomorrow in my ME account. This will be my 2nd time getting this bonus.

https://www.merrilledge.com/offers/900offer
Today's high is tomorrow's low.
oliverb

Post by oliverb »

did merrill allow you to deposit funds into existing accounts or did you have to open an additional account? thanks
vkolli

Post by vkolli »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:34 pm Does Chase Private Client reimburse transfer fees charged by other brokers (for inbound transfer to the JP Morgan Brokerage Account) ?
They told me, No they wouldn't. So ended up doing a partial account transfer.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

vkolli wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:04 am
SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:34 pm Does Chase Private Client reimburse transfer fees charged by other brokers (for inbound transfer to the JP Morgan Brokerage Account) ?
They told me, No they wouldn't. So ended up doing a partial account transfer.
YouInvest reimbursed me. But they had specific gates. I think it had to be 75k or more transferred, and you needed a statement from the departed broker showing the fee.
Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins »

oliverb wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:55 pm did merrill allow you to deposit funds into existing accounts or did you have to open an additional account? thanks
I opened new accounts. Accounts from previous bonus were all closed.
Today's high is tomorrow's low.
ZinCO

Post by ZinCO »

Nummerkins wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:31 am
oliverb wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:55 pm did merrill allow you to deposit funds into existing accounts or did you have to open an additional account? thanks
I opened new accounts. Accounts from previous bonus were all closed.
Weren't you considered a new customer then? Or do you have other open accounts with ME?

Asking because I'm looking at doing the same thing, but it's not clear what you can and cannot do when bringing in new money for the bonus.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I was able to enroll in this E*TRADE offer for existing customers that is discussed upthread.
https://us.etrade.com/promo/5000cfc-combined

I've got about 80k in a Roth account and around 120k in a taxable account that is not tied up earning me a bonus someplace. The T&C of this offer only talk about asset aggregation if the amount is 500k in more. So I am left wondering how to maximize this offer. Would 25k transferred to the Roth and 100k transferred to the taxable account net me a bonus of $200 and $500 respectively? Or should I transfer over the full 200k and hope for $800 -- somewhere?
ZinCO

Post by ZinCO »

whodidntante wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:32 pm I was able to enroll in this E*TRADE offer for existing customers that is discussed upthread.

I've got about 80k in a Roth account and around 120k in a taxable account that is not tied up earning me a bonus someplace. The T&C of this offer only talk about asset aggregation if the amount is 500k in more. So I am left wondering how to maximize this offer. Would 25k transferred to the Roth and 100k transferred to the taxable account net me a bonus of $200 and $500 respectively? Or should I transfer over the full 200k and hope for $800 -- somewhere?
Looks to me like account aggregation only happens at $1mm or more. I don't see that for $500k and I wouldn't assume it will apply to lower amounts either unfortunately.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

whodidntante wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:32 pm I was able to enroll in this E*TRADE offer for existing customers that is discussed upthread.

Have you contacted your local E*TRADE advisor? They often have flexibility on these offers and can sometimes 'sweeten the pot."