The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
whodidntante

Re: The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses

Post by whodidntante »

whodidntante wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:01 pm
ZinCO wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:43 am
whodidntante wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:32 am I was able to enroll in this E*TRADE offer for existing customers that is discussed upthread.
https://us.etrade.com/promo/5000cfc-combined

I've got about 80k in a Roth account and around 120k in a taxable account that is not tied up earning me a bonus someplace. The T&C of this offer only talk about asset aggregation if the amount is 500k in more. So I am left wondering how to maximize this offer. Would 25k transferred to the Roth and 100k transferred to the taxable account net me a bonus of $200 and $500 respectively? Or should I transfer over the full 200k and hope for $800 -- somewhere?
Looks to me like account aggregation only happens at $1mm or more. I don't see that for $500k and I wouldn't assume it will apply to lower amounts either unfortunately.
That's how I am interpreting it also. Unless someone with experience in a similar situation chimes in, I think I will do 25k Roth and 100k taxable and see what happens. I should at least get $500 and hopefully $700 that way.

ETA: I completed the above on Dec 24th. I'll report back if I remember to. You know, for science.
My bonus posted yesterday. I hereby contribute a data point to the cognoscenti.

I went for a $700 bonus ($500 + $200) by transferring $100k to taxable and $25k to a Roth account. The actual result is that E*Trade aggregated my contributions, and posted two separate bonuses proportional to my contributions to the Roth and taxable account, totaling $500. The terms were ambiguous on what would actually happen, so now we know.

While I was hoping for $700, $500 for reading and clicking a mouse is better than a punch in the face. Happy hunting!
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

We were in sync because I got my email yesterday and have the $500 in the account plus I have a roth one working at merrill edge with the 1000me offer so we'll see how that goes.
tj

Post by tj »

delete
Last edited by tj on Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tj

Re: The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses20

Post by tj »

cookymonster wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:23 pm Happy New Year everyone.

I’m trying to figure out what my taxes for 2020 will be since I have to make a quarterly estimated payment in the next two weeks.

I’m wondering if and how the IBKR bonus will be taxed. From what I can tell, according to the terms, the shares are not vested until we have held them for a year, so I’m not expecting to be issued a 1099-MISC until 2021.

Even still, I wonder how it’s going to work next year. Is it very likely that Interactive Brokers is going to record the valuation of my shares on the day of vesting and send a 1099-MISC based on that? Or is it more likely that we’re just going to have to interpret the tax code ourselves and report accordingly?
is it your understanding that you need to keep the $100k at IBKR for 12 months or they will claw back the unvested shares?
ohboy!

Post by ohboy! »

whodidntante wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:01 pm
whodidntante wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:32 am I was able to enroll in this E*TRADE offer for existing customers that is discussed upthread.

I've got about 80k in a Roth account and around 120k in a taxable account that is not tied up earning me a bonus someplace. The T&C of this offer only talk about asset aggregation if the amount is 500k in more. So I am left wondering how to maximize this offer. Would 25k transferred to the Roth and 100k transferred to the taxable account net me a bonus of $200 and $500 respectively? Or should I transfer over the full 200k and hope for $800 -- somewhere?
Looks to me like account aggregation only happens at $1mm or more. I don't see that for $500k and I wouldn't assume it will apply to lower amounts either unfortunately.
That's how I am interpreting it also. Unless someone with experience in a similar situation chimes in, I think I will do 25k Roth and 100k taxable and see what happens. I should at least get $500 and hopefully $700 that way.

ETA: I completed the above on Dec 24th. I'll report back if I remember to. You know, for science.

I went for a $700 bonus ($500 + $200) by transferring $100k to taxable and $25k to a Roth account. The actual result is that E*Trade aggregated my contributions, and posted two separate bonuses proportional to my contributions to the Roth and taxable account, totaling $500. The terms were ambiguous on what would actually happen, so now we know.

While I was hoping for $700, $500 for reading and clicking a mouse is better than a punch in the face. Happy hunting!
Thanks for your report. I read the doc of credit post and checked the etrade site but the bonus language is confusing. If I move $105k of etfs from TDA to a new Etrade account will I get $500? It says $300 and then it gets confusing with new account/existing account.

It looks like transferring out of TDA is free if I dont transfer everything. But leaving Etrade in the future would be $75 to transfer all. That kinda sucks.

Anything Im overlooking?
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

ohboy! wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:49 pm
whodidntante wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:01 pm

Thanks for your report. I read the doc of credit post and checked the etrade site but the bonus language is confusing. If I move $105k of etfs from TDA to a new Etrade account will I get $500? It says $300 and then it gets confusing with new account/existing account.

It looks like transferring out of TDA is free if I dont transfer everything. But leaving Etrade in the future would be $75 to transfer all. That kinda sucks.

Anything Im overlooking?
It depends on the offer. Sometimes you can snag $500 for 100k. That's effectively what I did, but I transferred in 25k that I didn't need to.

They won't charge to ACATS out if you leave 5k behind. But it doesn't matter that much because most receiving brokers will refund the fee if you ask. Getting a $300 bonus, paying tax on it, then losing $75 to a fee is not a fantastic deal.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

manuvns wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:02 am rakuten is offering 127.50 $ bonus for a funded Betterment Checking, Cash Reserve or Investing account

Exclusions: Cash Back is only earned for a funded Betterment Checking, Cash Reserve or Investing account of at least $1.00 for checking products and $10.00 for Cash Reserve and investing products, and is not available for other Betterment products or current Betterment customers.

Special Terms: Checking accounts and the Betterment Visa Debit Card provided and issued by nbkc bank, Member FDIC. Funds deposited into Checking will be eligible for up to $250,000 of FDIC insurance. Betterment Checking made available through Betterment Financial LLC. Neither Betterment Financial LLC, nor any of their affiliates, is a bank. Betterment Financial LLC reimburses ATM fees and the Visa 1% foreign transaction fee worldwide, everywhere Visa is accepted. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. Cash Reserve is only available to clients of Betterment LLC, which is not a bank, and cash transfers to program banks are conducted through the clients’ brokerage accounts at Betterment Securities. Investing involves risk and performance not guaranteed.

Posting Time: Cash Back will be automatically added to your Rakuten account tomorrow.

https://www.rakuten.com/betterment.com
Thanks for posting. I did this one, and my 12,750 MR bonus posted today on a whopping $10 deposit. That's enough to go to Hawaii on Delta in today's flash sale.
cookymonster

Re: The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses20

Post by cookymonster »

tj wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:27 pm
cookymonster wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:23 pm Happy New Year everyone.

I’m trying to figure out what my taxes for 2020 will be since I have to make a quarterly estimated payment in the next two weeks.

I’m wondering if and how the IBKR bonus will be taxed. From what I can tell, according to the terms, the shares are not vested until we have held them for a year, so I’m not expecting to be issued a 1099-MISC until 2021.

Even still, I wonder how it’s going to work next year. Is it very likely that Interactive Brokers is going to record the valuation of my shares on the day of vesting and send a 1099-MISC based on that? Or is it more likely that we’re just going to have to interpret the tax code ourselves and report accordingly?
is it your understanding that you need to keep the $100k at IBKR for 12 months or they will claw back the unvested shares?
Yes
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Is there anything better than $1200 for $500K around?

Ally is offering that here: https://www.ally.com/go/invest/promotion.html

Spouse is planning to seek a match from Schwab,..
tj

Post by tj »

jeffyscott wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:44 am Is there anything better than $1200 for $500K around?

Well Interactive Brokers is $1000 for $100k, that seems drastically better.
Pessimist55

Post by Pessimist55 »

tj wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:26 pm
jeffyscott wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:44 am Is there anything better than $1200 for $500K around?

I thought they were giving IB stock and you can't sell for a year?
tj

Post by tj »

Pessimist55 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:31 am

They do. If the $1k loses value, then you have a capital loss you can realize after the year.

Still way better than $1200 for 5x the investment.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

tj wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:34 am

They do. If the $1k loses value, then you have a capital loss you can realize after the year.

Thanks for the info, this will be a once and done thing, though, so the $1200 is still better for us.

She's barely willing to do the one rollover/transfer :) , will definitely not want to do multiple ones to chase bonuses. So far even I have not done that, but there is a chance that I could take up the hobby, there is no chance that she would.

The current custodian (T. Rowe Price) is not willing to give her anything to roll over to an IRA there. Schwab seems to always willing to match other bonus cash offers and I'm happy to have her land there.
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

I'm not sure if it's the price at the time the stock was put in your account or the time it becomes available for sale that is counted as your basis.

IB is not issuing 1099s until the year it becomes available for sale. The analogy might be with RSUs, which only become taxable when they vest and are available for sale, and that price is counted as your basis.
tj

Post by tj »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:52 am

I'm not sure if it's the price at the time the stock was put in your account or the time it becomes available for sale that is counted as your basis.

IB is not issuing 1099s until the year it becomes available for sale. The analogy might be with RSUs, which only become taxable when they vest and are available for sale, and that price is counted as your basis.
Hmm, that's potentially even better. You don't have to pay taxes on the gain prior to the stock vesting!
Startled Cat

Post by Startled Cat »

tj wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:13 am Hmm, that's potentially even better. You don't have to pay taxes on the gain prior to the stock vesting!
How do you figure?
tj

Post by tj »

Startled Cat wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:10 am
tj wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:13 am Hmm, that's potentially even better. You don't have to pay taxes on the gain prior to the stock vesting!
How do you figure?
Because the vested price is apparently your cost basis instead of the price on the date if the gift. I guess it depends on what price they 1099 you for the free stock.
Startled Cat

Post by Startled Cat »

tj wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:20 am Because the vested price is apparently your cost basis instead of the price on the date if the gift. I guess it depends on what price they 1099 you for the free stock.
I'm not a tax expert, but I would expect that if the cost basis is the value at vesting time, that's the value they'll put on the 1099. Either way, you'd pay taxes on gains.
tj

Post by tj »

Startled Cat wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:25 am
tj wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:20 am Because the vested price is apparently your cost basis instead of the price on the date if the gift. I guess it depends on what price they 1099 you for the free stock.
I'm not a tax expert, but I would expect that if the cost basis is the value at vesting time, that's the value they'll put on the 1099. Either way, you'd pay taxes on gains.
Sure, in that case if the stock loses value your 1099d income will be less than the 1k bonus and if it gains value it could be higher. Either way 1% give or take of free compensation to move securities is better than picking up quarters on the street.
Startled Cat

Post by Startled Cat »

tj wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:33 am Sure, in that case if the stock loses value your 1099d income will be less than the 1k bonus and if it gains value it could be higher. Either way 1% give or take of free compensation to move securities is better than picking up quarters on the street.
Agreed, it's a great promo and worth taking advantage of if you can stomach Interactive Brokers' idiosyncrasies and awkward user interface. To my surprise, IBKR is up 57% since my shares were granted. I am curious to see how the shares are ultimately taxed.
SlowMovingInvestor

Startled Cat wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:47 am
tj wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:33 am Sure, in that case if the stock loses value your 1099d income will be less than the 1k bonus and if it gains value it could be higher. Either way 1% give or take of free compensation to move securities is better than picking up quarters on the street.
Agreed, it's a great promo and worth taking advantage of if you can stomach Interactive Brokers' idiosyncrasies and awkward user interface. To my surprise, IBKR is up 57% since my shares were granted. I am curious to see how the shares are ultimately taxed.
My shares are up 45%. I think I will stick with the brokerage (and the stock itself, although that's a very small amount) even after the holding period is over. Their interface is different from that of other online brokers, but they have a very good API, very good margin rates and access to a lot of instruments and markets that other brokerages don't provide.
SlowMovingInvestor

MikeG62 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:00 pm My Chase PC $2,000 bonus posted today. Account was funded on July 1, 2020. Offer terms required assets to be at JPM/Chase for 90 days and bonus to pay within 30 business days after meeting that requirement. In my case it was just a few business days after meeting the 90-day requirement.

AFAIK, there is no clawback of the bonus should I move to close the account and transfer the securities elsewhere. Is anyone able to confirm that?

FWIW, I am not planning to move the funds right away. But probably by the end of 2020 (could be sooner if there is a very attractive transfer bonus that arises).
This is an old post, but I participated in a later version of the CPC bonus. This particular bonus is tiered at
1k for 150K
2K for 250K
3K for 500K

I transferred in 2 tranches, each over 250K around 90 days ago for a total > 500K. I also have a chase Checking account (upgraded to CPC checking) and transferred cash in and out at different times. But I'm sure I transferred in at least 10-20 K more than I xferred out into checking (so net positive).

Anyway, I received a bonus of $1K. Needless to say, I'm annoyed. A bonus of 1K for that xfer size is barely worth it. 2K would be very good for $500K, and 3K is excellent. If there is some mess up on their end (I actually think they may not have counted the first tranche for complicated reasons, but the 2nd transfer was also over 250K, although just barely), I'm not sure they'll fix it, since it's not a small sum, but $2K delta. At the least, I'd hope for $1K more.

My question - MikeG62, did you receive all the bonus in one go ? Or did they split it up into 2-3 deposits ? I know TDAM does that.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:59 pm
MikeG62 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:00 pm My Chase PC $2,000 bonus posted today. Account was funded on July 1, 2020. Offer terms required assets to be at JPM/Chase for 90 days and bonus to pay within 30 business days after meeting that requirement. In my case it was just a few business days after meeting the 90-day requirement.

AFAIK, there is no clawback of the bonus should I move to close the account and transfer the securities elsewhere. Is anyone able to confirm that?

FWIW, I am not planning to move the funds right away. But probably by the end of 2020 (could be sooner if there is a very attractive transfer bonus that arises).
This is an old post, but I participated in a later version of the CPC bonus. This particular bonus is tiered at
1k for 150K
2K for 250K
3K for 500K

I transferred in 2 tranches, each over 250K around 90 days ago for a total > 500K. I also have a chase Checking account (upgraded to CPC checking) and transferred cash in and out at different times. But I'm sure I transferred in at least 10-20 K more than I xferred out into checking (so net positive).

Anyway, I received a bonus of $1K. Needless to say, I'm annoyed. A bonus of 1K for that xfer size is barely worth it. 2K would be very good for $500K, and 3K is excellent. If there is some mess up on their end (I actually think they may not have counted the first tranche for complicated reasons, but the 2nd transfer was also over 250K, although just barely), I'm not sure they'll fix it, since it's not a small sum, but $2K delta. At the least, I'd hope for $1K more.

My question - MikeG62, did you receive all the bonus in one go ? Or did they split it up into 2-3 deposits ? I know TDAM does that.
All in one go.

I'd put together a spreadsheet of your daily balance from the moment you made the first transfer to see what the balances were and prove that you met the requirements for the higher tier bonus. I'd then call Chase (your private client banker) and review it with him/her.

The thing to be careful about is if you transferred in assets in kind, the value that matters to them is the FMV on the date the transfer hits your account (not the FMV on the date you initiated the transfer). I had this issue with Merrill Edge transfers back in Feb of 2020. Had to top off the accounts. In the case of Chase, I transferred in ~$275K to make sure it highly unlikely any market change would pull me below the $250K threshold.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
SlowMovingInvestor

MikeG62 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:37 pm
I'd put together a spreadsheet of your daily balance from the moment you made the first transfer to see what the balances were and prove that you met the requirements for the higher tier bonus. I'd then call Chase (your private client banker) and review it with him/her.

The thing to be careful about is if you transferred in assets in kind, the value that matters to them is the FMV on the date the transfer hits your account (not the FMV on the date you initiated the transfer). I had this issue with Merrill Edge transfers back in Feb of 2020. Had to top off the accounts. In the case of Chase, I transferred in ~$275K to make sure it highly unlikely any market change would pull me below the $250K threshold.
Thanks very much for responding.

I think was might have happened is that I asked them to enroll me in a higher bonus after 1 week ( 250K+ transfer hit my account just that day) and they may not have counted the previous amount in the total transfer, although the banker said they would.

Fortunately, JPM's monthly statements have a very nice section detailing deposits, amounts and total very clearly. it shows I deposited 250K+ the first time and 250K+ the 2nd time (in another month). At a minimum, I hope to get them to make it 2K, if not 3K.
pre

Post by pre »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:45 pm

I think was might have happened is that I asked them to enroll me in a higher bonus after 1 week ( 250K+ transfer hit my account just that day) and they may not have counted the previous amount in the total transfer, although the banker said they would.

Fortunately, JPM's monthly statements have a very nice section detailing deposits, amounts and total very clearly. it shows I deposited 250K+ the first time and 250K+ the 2nd time (in another month). At a minimum, I hope to get them to make it 2K, if not 3K.
Maybe send a secure message at Chase.com (with your coupon/bonus code), or give your CPC banker a ring, to inquire further?

I wish I had the $3k offer available when I did my transfers. Looks like it's been reduced to the original $2k...
SlowMovingInvestor

pre wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:04 pm
SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:45 pm

Maybe send a secure message at Chase.com (with your coupon/bonus code), or give your CPC banker a ring, to inquire further?

I wish I had the $3k offer available when I did my transfers. Looks like it's been reduced to the original $2k...
I'll go and talk to my CPC banker. I know him quite well. Chase is generally (even in my non CPC days) quite good about reversing fees and issuing credits. But this is not $40-50 they're talking about and I doubt my local CPC banker has much authority.

I'd even be happy with 2K for $500K. It's not a bad bonus. But 1K for $500K is mediocre.
tj

Post by tj »

delete
Last edited by tj on Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pre

Post by pre »

WorldWanderer wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:00 am In response to the 2 PM's I received, here are the T's and C's for the $4,000 E-Trade promo;
Cash credits for eligible deposits or transfers of new funds or securities from accounts outside of E*TRADE will be made as follows: $4,000,000 or more will receive $10,000; $3,000,000-$3,999,999 will receive $8,000; $2,000,000-$2,999,999 will receive $6,000; $1,000,000-$1,999,999 will receive $4,000; $500,000-$999,999 will receive $2,000. New funds or securities must: be deposited or transferred within 60 days of enrollment in offer, be from accounts outside of E*TRADE, and remain in the account (minus any trading losses) for a minimum of 12 months of the cash credit may be surrendered. The credit will appear in your account within one week of the close of the 60-day window. Multiple deposits made to eligible accounts will be aggregated and will receive a credit on a pro-rata basis.
Just wanted to share this above offer is still available with Etrade. I was a bit surprised, with the Morgan Stanley acquisition and the general industry-wide shift to smaller bonuses. I've been looking for the best offer available for some of these higher asset tiers, and called my local branch to verify. I've done a few transfers with Etrade in the past, and they sometimes won't reimburse for ACATS fees, so I'm a bit weary, as I would be consolidating at least 4-5 accounts.

Would anyone have experience with other firms offering comparable bonuses? I'd like to give Schwab a ring to see if they would match the offer, as they readily reimburse for outgoing fees. I tried Merrill Edge and they have a set of higher-tier bonus offers, but were not nearly as lucrative as Etrade.
ZinCO

Post by ZinCO »

pre wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:55 pm
WorldWanderer wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:00 am In response to the 2 PM's I received, here are the T's and C's for the $4,000 E-Trade promo;
Cash credits for eligible deposits or transfers of new funds or securities from accounts outside of E*TRADE will be made as follows: $4,000,000 or more will receive $10,000; $3,000,000-$3,999,999 will receive $8,000; $2,000,000-$2,999,999 will receive $6,000; $1,000,000-$1,999,999 will receive $4,000; $500,000-$999,999 will receive $2,000. New funds or securities must: be deposited or transferred within 60 days of enrollment in offer, be from accounts outside of E*TRADE, and remain in the account (minus any trading losses) for a minimum of 12 months of the cash credit may be surrendered. The credit will appear in your account within one week of the close of the 60-day window. Multiple deposits made to eligible accounts will be aggregated and will receive a credit on a pro-rata basis.
Just wanted to share this above offer is still available with Etrade. I was a bit surprised, with the Morgan Stanley acquisition and the general industry-wide shift to smaller bonuses. I've been looking for the best offer available for some of these higher asset tiers, and called my local branch to verify. I've done a few transfers with Etrade in the past, and they sometimes won't reimburse for ACATS fees, so I'm a bit weary, as I would be consolidating at least 4-5 accounts.

Would anyone have experience with other firms offering comparable bonuses? I'd like to give Schwab a ring to see if they would match the offer, as they readily reimburse for outgoing fees. I tried Merrill Edge and they have a set of higher-tier bonus offers, but were not nearly as lucrative as Etrade.
That's a better deal than what I just got from E-Trade for a transfer over December-February. Was that valid for existing customers also?
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

WorldWanderer wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:00 am Cash credits for eligible deposits or transfers of new funds or securities from accounts outside of E*TRADE will be made as follows: $4,000,000 or more will receive $10,000; $3,000,000-$3,999,999 will receive $8,000; $2,000,000-$2,999,999 will receive $6,000; $1,000,000-$1,999,999 will receive $4,000; $500,000-$999,999 will receive $2,000.
Just wanted to share this above offer is still available with Etrade.
Where are you seeing (or how are you getting) this offer?

I found an expired one that is close for those of us who are not multi-millionaires, at $3500 for $1 mil and $1800 for $500K as the top two tiers: https://us.etrade.com/what-we-offer/how ... ra-cfc3500
pre

Post by pre »

ZinCO wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:48 pm

That's a better deal than what I just got from E-Trade for a transfer over December-February. Was that valid for existing customers also?
It should be available for both new and existing clients. I helped my friend call back in 2019 as a new client without any accounts at Etrade and they readily offered it to us.

When I called a few days ago, I provided my cash account information to be identified. Although this time around, the rep had to get two layers of manager approval as he stated they've become more limited/exclusive.
SlowMovingInvestor

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:59 pm

1k for 150K
2K for 250K
3K for 500K

To follow up, I talked to my CPC banker. He talked to their back end team, and the extra $2K came in.

Chase can be very bureaucratic at times, so this very good.
The Big Apple

Post by The Big Apple »

The Big Apple wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:26 pm
SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:50 pm This post earlier in the thread

viewtopic.php?p=5598190#p5598190

OP hasn't updated yet on whether the bonus has been credited
As of today, the bonus has not yet been credited, but one of my milestones just passed, and knowing Citi, they will take the maximum amount of time to process the bonus. I will post back once I receive the bonus.
An update - the bonus posted last week. Account opened in early September 2020; rollover contribution (made via check - in cash) processed in mid/late September. I did not have to inquire or do any follow-up for the bonus to post and the amount was correct based on the amount I contributed.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

A Merrill Edge phone rep told me today (3/17) that they're ending all cash reward offers after 4/15. The regular offer (up to $900) is still available until then, and I believe you currently can still get them to give you a custom offer for bringing in new money into an existing account.

Separately, my $1000 IRA bonus from Etrade posted, soon after the 60-day qualifying period ended. I really like that they give you notifications at every step along the way - enrollment, qualifying period about to end, promo qualified. Even popped up on the app, and the bonus was already in the account. This is how promos should be done.
SlowMovingInvestor

I received a fee transfer credit from Etrade (an ACATs fee that was charged by another broker). Etrade reported it on a 1099-MISC.

A fee rebate shouldn't be reported on a 1099-MISC, right ? It's< $100, but it's still annoying to pay taxes on it.
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

02nz wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:08 am A Merrill Edge phone rep told me today (3/17) that they're ending all cash reward offers after 4/15. The regular offer (up to $900) is still available until then, and I believe you currently can still get them to give you a custom offer for bringing in new money into an existing account.
Do people think this will really happen?

I’ve wanted to get into Merrill Edge/BoA eco system for some time for CC rewards and safe deposit box, but haven’t had the non employer retirement funds until recently. First baby coming soon and some funds are stuck in another account where got a bonus with 1 year holding period, so not ideal time for me to sign up, but if they won’t have bonus for a year or more, prob better to move now... Sigh
02nz

Post by 02nz »

need403bhelp wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:15 pm
02nz wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:08 am A Merrill Edge phone rep told me today (3/17) that they're ending all cash reward offers after 4/15. The regular offer (up to $900) is still available until then, and I believe you currently can still get them to give you a custom offer for bringing in new money into an existing account.

I’ve wanted to get into Merrill Edge/BoA eco system for some time for CC rewards and safe deposit box, but haven’t had the non employer retirement funds until recently. First baby coming soon and some funds are stuck in another account where got a bonus with 1 year holding period, so not ideal time for me to sign up, but if they won’t have bonus for a year or more, prob better to move now... Sigh
Well, you can believe what two Merrill Edge reps told me in no uncertain terms and/or call yourself to confirm, or you can poll some random people on the internet for their crystal balls. :happy
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

02nz wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:01 pm

Well, you can believe what two Merrill Edge reps told me in no uncertain terms and/or call yourself to confirm, or you can poll some random people on the internet for their crystal balls. :happy
Ok, thanks. I didn't mean it in any disrespectful way, just a little shocked and surprised...
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

need403bhelp wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:21 pm

Ok, thanks. I didn't mean it in any disrespectful way, just a little shocked and surprised...
What is unclear to me is with the way the wording shared as written, one could construe this as all the current offers are ending 4/15, but new offers could still come up. So, business as usual.
investor997

Post by investor997 »

need403bhelp wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:15 pm I’ve wanted to get into Merrill Edge/BoA eco system for some time for CC rewards and safe deposit box, but haven’t had the non employer retirement funds until recently. First baby coming soon and some funds are stuck in another account where got a bonus with 1 year holding period, so not ideal time for me to sign up, but if they won’t have bonus for a year or more, prob better to move now... Sigh
Don't get your hopes up on a safe deposit box. I tried to get one after getting Platinum status with Preferred Rewards. You'd think Step One would be to call your local branch and ask them if they have any available, right? Well, it's impossible to call a branch. Whatever phone number BofA has on their website for your local branch just forwards to an automated call center. No matter how hard I tried, I could not figure out how to make a telephone ring in a BofA branch. They want to force you to come in by making an appointment on their website and/or their app. Eventually I did visit the branch where the teller confirmed they had none available and there was a waiting list at least a year long.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

BrandonBogle wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:23 pm

What is unclear to me is with the way the wording shared as written, one could construe this as all the current offers are ending 4/15, but new offers could still come up. So, business as usual.
Let me clarify then: two different reps told me, very clearly, that Merrill Edge will not be doing cash bonuses going forward, after 4/15. Existing offers will still be honored, of course, and they put in a request to match a competitor's offer for me, but made clear that would not even be entertained after April 15.
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

02nz wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:59 pm

Let me clarify then: two different reps told me, very clearly, that Merrill Edge will not be doing cash bonuses going forward, after 4/15. Existing offers will still be honored, of course, and they put in a request to match a competitor's offer for me, but made clear that would not even be entertained after April 15.
Interestingly, when trying to apply just now, for offer code 900ME (current promotion) when clicking "Apply code" under CMA or Roth IRA, there's a message "The offer code you entered is invalid for the type of account you selected. Please try again." So it seems like even this offer may have been "pulled" early...
sassy_penguin

Post by sassy_penguin »

investor997 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:48 pm
need403bhelp wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:15 pm I’ve wanted to get into Merrill Edge/BoA eco system for some time for CC rewards and safe deposit box, but haven’t had the non employer retirement funds until recently. First baby coming soon and some funds are stuck in another account where got a bonus with 1 year holding period, so not ideal time for me to sign up, but if they won’t have bonus for a year or more, prob better to move now... Sigh
Don't get your hopes up on a safe deposit box. I tried to get one after getting Platinum status with Preferred Rewards. You'd think Step One would be to call your local branch and ask them if they have any available, right? Well, it's impossible to call a branch. Whatever phone number BofA has on their website for your local branch just forwards to an automated call center. No matter how hard I tried, I could not figure out how to make a telephone ring in a BofA branch. They want to force you to come in by making an appointment on their website and/or their app. Eventually I did visit the branch where the teller confirmed they had none available and there was a waiting list at least a year long.
Not so.

I spoke to two local Bank of America branches today with no problem. I just looked them up on Google Maps and called directly. Each did have a short recording about potentially restricted hours due to covid and suggestions to deal with things online. Then a few options to press 1,2, etc...for various bank-by-phone options. One of them was to speak with a teller. The wait time from dialing to speaking to a person was under 5 minutes with each, even waiting for the message at the beginning to play.

Give that a try tomorrow during normal hours and see if your luck is any better :sharebeer
sassy_penguin

Post by sassy_penguin »

need403bhelp wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:59 pm
02nz wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:59 pm

Interestingly, when trying to apply just now, for offer code 900ME (current promotion) when clicking "Apply code" under CMA or Roth IRA, there's a message "The offer code you entered is invalid for the type of account you selected. Please try again." So it seems like even this offer may have been "pulled" early...
About a month ago, I used this link to sign up: https://www.merrilledge.com/offers/me1000

It no longer functions and goes straight to the main page. But what was interesting was when I called them to ask some questions about their service before deciding to move money over, the phone rep said he was not sure the offer was valid anymore and a lot were winding down. However, the link was still active and when he went to the page himself after I read the address to him, he took my information and said it would be honored.

I am glad I printed the page when it was still active! I want my $500 for the 100k I moved over. Only 5 months left to wait...
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

investor997 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:48 pm Don't get your hopes up on a safe deposit box. I tried to get one after getting Platinum status with Preferred Rewards. You'd think Step One would be to call your local branch and ask them if they have any available, right? Well, it's impossible to call a branch. Whatever phone number BofA has on their website for your local branch just forwards to an automated call center. No matter how hard I tried, I could not figure out how to make a telephone ring in a BofA branch. They want to force you to come in by making an appointment on their website and/or their app. Eventually I did visit the branch where the teller confirmed they had none available and there was a waiting list at least a year long.
That's been my experience with BOA as well. Interestingly in Southern California most Chase branches have plenty of safe deposit boxes, especially the grand old Home Savings locations. Thus, I did the Chase Sapphire Banking bonus recently with YouInvest investments and plan to keep some ETFs in YouInvest long term despite the clearly inferior interface.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

Anyone finding any public offers from etrade because the links I find seem to be expired?
illumination

Post by illumination »

placeholder wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:13 am Anyone finding any public offers from etrade because the links I find seem to be expired?
I received this from E-Trade just a few days ago

https://us.etrade.com/promo/disclaimer/600cfc-combined
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

illumination wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:32 pm I received this from E-Trade just a few days ago

https://us.etrade.com/promo/disclaimer/600cfc-combined
Thanks.
terran

Post by terran »

Did anyone here happen to save a copy of the terms and conditions for the Merrill Edge ME1000 bonus? I forgot to and my bonus hasn't been paid out after the 180 days + 2 weeks period, so before I call them I'd feel better if I had a copy of the terms to back me up. Would anybody be willing to email me a copy if I private messaged you my email address?

Edit: It was pointed out to me that I could access the bonus page using the wayback machine (duh!), so I should be all set with this now. https://web.archive.org/web/20210204133 ... ers/me1000
slinky$

Post by slinky$ »

slinky$ wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:41 pm
Thanks :sharebeer - gonna give ME a go for the bonus & preferred rewards
Was checking if any dividends hit and was glad to see $500 sitting in there from the ME 1000 offer :D

Account opened 9/23 and 100k deposited in there not too long after.