The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Re: The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

So it does. That's unusual. If you want it for an IRA, I would check with them. They normally have other codes that can be applied.
student

Post by student »

Earl Lemongrab wrote:Did you open the account from the link on the offer page? Normally those automatically code the account for the offer.
I did use the link from their website directly. However, it is possible that it takes several hours for the code to attach to the account. I chatted with them immediately since I could not set up a second external account.
*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! »

student wrote:
Earl Lemongrab wrote:Did you open the account from the link on the offer page? Normally those automatically code the account for the offer.
I did use the link from their website directly. However, it is possible that it takes several hours for the code to attach to the account. I chatted with them immediately since I could not set up a second external account.
We also started from the bonus offer page, and a day or two later, asked about it, were told there was no bonus, but they would see what they could do, then a bit later they added it manually. I've noticed other glitches on their website, so there seems to be a pattern here or general unreliability.
student

Post by student »

*3!4!/5! wrote:
student wrote:
We also started from the bonus offer page, and a day or two later, asked about it, were told there was no bonus, but they would see what they could do, then a bit later they added it manually. I've noticed other glitches on their website, so there seems to be a pattern here or general unreliability.
Thanks. Good to learn about others' experiences.
SJR

Post by SJR »

pre wrote:
student wrote:In an effort to get bonuses, I opened an account with etrade today. However, my experience so far is negative. During the account opening process, I was ask to set up an external account. I set up my checking account. Afterwards, I decided to add my online savings account. It says for new customer, I have to wait 60 days for my protection. I chatted with them and the CS person said this is policy. I complained about there was no warning at the initial page. Well, most of my money is with the online savings account. I guess I need to do a 2-step process to go from online savings to checking to etrade. I wasn't happy but I can tolerate it. Since I was chatting with him, I asked him about the bonuses. He said there was no promotion that I was enrolled in. I complained and he said he would submit the request. I told him that I will wait a week and check back to see whether the promotion is in place before I transfer the money. Not impressed.
Yea I'd definitely call in and verify your account's been properly coded before transferring funds -- my local rep instructed me to, as well

I just did two accounts, a cash and IRA, and the bonuses credited within 45 days, with these bonus tiers:
How does one find this E-Trade offer ? Not on their site.
student

Post by student »

It is mentioned on the main page. Here is a link.

https://us.etrade.com/what-we-offer/how ... /brokerage
student

Post by student »

student wrote:
*3!4!/5! wrote:
student wrote:
Thanks. Good to learn about others' experiences.
Update: I got a call from the local office asking whether they can help with my new account. I mentioned that I was not allowed to established a second link account. He said they will reimburse my wiring fee if I wire in the money.
SJR

Post by SJR »

student wrote:It is mentioned on the main page. Here is a link.

There is an offer on their site with lower cash bonuses. The link goes straight to them.
Was wondering how you found the better offers.
student

Post by student »

SJR wrote:
student wrote:It is mentioned on the main page. Here is a link.

There is an offer on their site with lower cash bonuses. The link goes straight to them.
Was wondering how you found the better offers.
I also clicked the link on the main website and it brought me to the page.
student

Post by student »

I recently completed opening an account at Merrill Edge and I have received the bonuses. My experience has been positive. Here is my thread of asking about Merrill Edge with several updates, and I thought I will cross post here since this is the thread on brokerage bonuses. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=214753&p=3484603#p3484603

Thank you.
pre

Post by pre »

student wrote:I recently completed opening an account at Merrill Edge and I have received the bonuses. My experience has been positive. Here is my thread of asking about Merrill Edge with several updates, and I thought I will cross post here since this is the thread on brokerage bonuses. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=214753&p=3484603#p3484603

Thank you.
Congrats, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to returning to ME myself -- have transferred a few accounts out, hoping to return soon to take advantage of their Preferred Rewards after my terms are complete elsewhere
tj

Post by tj »

It's time for me to repeat with E*Trade. I have an empty account from a year or 2 ago I opened for the bonus. Was thinking about transferring in from TDA to get a bonus. Will I then have 2 accounts? Any luck with geetting E*Trade to eat TDA's transfer out fee ?
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

You can contact Etrade and see about getting the existing account coded for a bonus. Likewise ask about the transfer fee. The last time I got one, they declined that because it was a higher than usual bonus.
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Hi all, I just received my merril edge 500$ bonus thanks to this thread. How long do I have to keep my money in the account? I was thinking that once the bonus posts I can do what I want. Are there any options out there for a 110k brokerage account? Does merril offer retention bonus? I know 110k is not a lot compared to some of the amounts I see on this thread.

Thanks!
pre

Post by pre »

BashDash wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:28 pm Hi all, I just received my merril edge 500$ bonus thanks to this thread. How long do I have to keep my money in the account? I was thinking that once the bonus posts I can do what I want. Are there any options out there for a 110k brokerage account? Does merril offer retention bonus? I know 110k is not a lot compared to some of the amounts I see on this thread.

Thanks!
Congrats. I'd review the terms of your offer. Merrill's often 90 or 180 days, but if it's a special matched offer, it might be a year -- but then you're free to transfer out as you please.

Recommend giving your rep or the 800-number a ring to see about retention
Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz »

Just a FYI - I finally got my Merrill Edge accounts taken care of. Will get $1000 for each account of 250k kept for 12 months. August next year.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

BashDash wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:28 pm Hi all, I just received my merril edge 500$ bonus thanks to this thread. How long do I have to keep my money in the account? I was thinking that once the bonus posts I can do what I want. Are there any options out there for a 110k brokerage account? Does merril offer retention bonus? I know 110k is not a lot compared to some of the amounts I see on this thread.
It sounds like you had the offer that was $1000/200k or $500/100k. With that one, then don't pay until the end of the six-month retention period, so you're good now.
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Thanks! Yes that sounds like the offer. I think it was supposed to be from a conference attended but they honored anyway. Do they pay retention bonus? Any similar offers out there now? I may stay though I like buying vanguard ETF for free.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

I don't know about retention. I would suggest asking if you're serious. Right now, I don't think there are any bonuses available that are that high. Most are at $300 for 100k.
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Thanks Earl. I think I'll just stay put for now. I doubt they will offer a retention for a smallish account like mine. Ill wait for another 500$ offer somewhere.
pre

Post by pre »

Curious if any folks who've earned Schwab bonuses transferred out before the specified term limit? I got a matched offer about 10 months ago, with a term of 12 months.

Poor timing, but I'm planning on a home refinance with Bank of America and they're offering me significant additional discounts with a $250k balance in BofA accounts, so I'd like to transfer part my Schwab account over to Merrill Edge, but fear a claw back of the bonus. As it was a manually matched offer, I imagine it's not as automatically reviewed/scrutinized, but it'd still be a shame to lose the bonus.

Thanks
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:00 pm Earl

I think you mentioned earlier that you were going to try and get a Scottrade bonus (might be the last opportunity before they merge with Etrade). Did you go ahead with that ?
I finally got around to this. Just received confirmation that the promotion as been approved. I need to go through and see how much I have available for transfer. I haven't heard anything more about the merger date.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Edit: Changed link, see discussion below.

Here's a link for a new $1000 Merrill Edge offer. Note that it says "This limited time offer is valid only for Money Show attendees". They have had similar offers in the past where some people (who had not attended the event) had no trouble signing up online with the offer code, but others reported problems.

https://www.merrilledge.com/offers/1000 ... yshow-_-na
Last edited by Earl Lemongrab on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:07 pm Here's a link for a new $1000 Merrill Edge offer. Note that it says "This limited time offer is valid only for Money Show attendees". They have had similar offers in the past where some people (who had not attended the event) had no trouble signing up online with the offer code, but others reported problems.

https://www.merrilledge.com/offers/1000offer
Any chance you posted an incorrect link?
That link says "Respond by December 31, 2016" and does not mention the money show.
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

whodidntante wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:33 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:07 pm Here's a link for a new $1000 Merrill Edge offer. Note that it says "This limited time offer is valid only for Money Show attendees". They have had similar offers in the past where some people (who had not attended the event) had no trouble signing up online with the offer code, but others reported problems.

That link says "Respond by December 31, 2016" and does not mention the money show.
But the page also mentions 'opened by October 6 2017'. So it's a little confusing ...
beehappy

Post by beehappy »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:37 pm
whodidntante wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:33 pm

But the page also mentions 'opened by October 6 2017'. So it's a little confusing ...
You may be able to negotiate a better (than the standard) bonus based on this offer. I was able to get $500 for $100k balance, but for a longer holding period than the 6 months in this offer. I joined ME mainly for the Preferred Rewards, so the bonus was just icing on the cake, and I don't mind the hold time, which was still less than a year.
drk

Post by drk »

:twisted:
Last edited by drk on Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
SlowMovingInvestor

Earl posted this Schwab bonus in another thread

http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/nn/ ... d_sps.html

Is this a live bonus, or just a zombie link that Schwab forgot to clean up (or more hopefully, a new link that they plan to introduce soon) ? I'm a little wary when offer pages don't include an explicit expire date.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

It's a bit odd. The original link I had was longer:

With Firefox, I trimmed the link back a bit and still saw the same page, so I used that. When I launch it in Microsoft browser from my link, I get a different page! Sorry for the confusion. The one I saw definitely mentioned the show and had a 10/6/2017 date.

Follow-up: I did a full reload in this browser, and now I see the new offer from the first link. Some of us might have cached versions of the old page. Anyway, I updated the link in the original message for "best results".
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:19 am Earl posted this Schwab bonus in another thread

Is this a live bonus, or just a zombie link that Schwab forgot to clean up (or more hopefully, a new link that they plan to introduce soon) ? I'm a little wary when offer pages don't include an explicit expire date.
You mean this one:

As far as I know it's good. If anyone has more information, then please follow up.

Hint, always make sure the full link in URL tags is copied. The forum software abbreviates them and they don't copy correctly with a cut and paste.
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Is it worth asking Merril to pay me a sum of money to keep my money with them as a retention bonus? I'm tempted to put my 100k with Schwab to get that 500$ bonus. However, I like buying my VTI commission free and the simplicity. Wasn't sure if anyone has any experience with retention from Merrill?

Thanks!
tj

Post by tj »

BashDash wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:49 pm Is it worth asking Merril to pay me a sum of money to keep my money with them as a retention bonus? I'm tempted to put my 100k with Schwab to get that 500$ bonus. However, I like buying my VTI commission free and the simplicity. Wasn't sure if anyone has any experience with retention from Merrill?

Thanks!
I cant imagine they would, especially if you buy and hold.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Some have reported success with retention bonuses, I don't recall whether Merrill was one. You can ask. I'd frame it as, "I really like it here, but I saw this offer and it's really tempting. Anything you can do?"
limeyx

Post by limeyx »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:45 pm Some have reported success with retention bonuses, I don't recall whether Merrill was one. You can ask. I'd frame it as, "I really like it here, but I saw this offer and it's really tempting. Anything you can do?"
I was able to get 50 free trades @ Schwab via online chat by mentioning the free signup bonuses for existing customers
I was told I might be able to get more but I'd have to transfer to another dept.
50 free (over 2 years) is perfectly good for me right now so I didnt bother trying to get more

I did close down a small Fidelity account though so that if they dont give me something once those are up, I at least have an option of moving even though it's a hassle
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:30 pm I finally got around to this. Just received confirmation that the promotion as been approved. I need to go through and see how much I have available for transfer. I haven't heard anything more about the merger date.
I just received an email from TD Ameritrade. It stated that the acquisition was complete but that the two companies would be managed independently until 2018. I would assume that one could still get bonuses at both until then.
chicagoan23

Post by chicagoan23 »

This is a very helpful thread, thanks to all for posting.

My spouse has an old rollover IRA sitting at Merrill Edge that may now be moved penalty free. The value, as of today, is $239,856. She has already made her 2017 contribution.

To get the $1,000 at TD Ameritrade, she would have to open the account by 9/30 and fund it within 60 days. Market returns may get her past $250k in the next two months, but likely not.

Has anyone had any success getting the $1,000 bonus on $250k transferred if you are just shy of that number? We can also open a brokerage account there with $11k to make up the difference, but I don't think that would work? Should we make a nondeductible contribution to the IRA after the transfer?

Any advice would be appreciated!
"The Basic Choices for Investors and the One We Strongly Prefer" | | https://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/2011ltr.pdf
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

I hadn't realized TD Ameritrade had a $1000 offer going, but here it is:

https://www.tdameritrade.com/offer/for90days/index.html

They are pretty formulaic. In fact the bonuses are automatically credited as each level is reached. However, it wouldn't hurt to contact them and see, maybe a rep can work something out. You wouldn't be able to put 11K into the IRA, as the limit is 5500/6500 depending on age. There are no joint IRAs.

You might get another custodian to match the TDA offer and split the account into two 100k rollovers for $500 each. Or take $500 from TDA and $300 from another. That's easy enough.
SlowMovingInvestor

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:25 am
SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:19 am Earl posted this Schwab bonus in another thread

You mean this one:

As far as I know it's good. If anyone has more information, then please follow up.

Hint, always make sure the full link in URL tags is copied. The forum software abbreviates them and they don't copy correctly with a cut and paste.
It seems this offer is only for Schwab Stock Plan Services clients (i.e. people whose employer sets up a stock compensation plan via Schwab).
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:35 am It seems this offer is only for Schwab Stock Plan Services clients (i.e. people whose employer sets up a stock compensation plan via Schwab).
It does say that in the details, but nowhere else. It might be the case, or an error in the wording. Anyone interested should contact Schwab for clarification.
SlowMovingInvestor

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:13 am It's a bit odd. The original link I had was longer:

With Firefox, I trimmed the link back a bit and still saw the same page, so I used that. When I launch it in Microsoft browser from my link, I get a different page! Sorry for the confusion. The one I saw definitely mentioned the show and had a 10/6/2017 date.

Follow-up: I did a full reload in this browser, and now I see the new offer from the first link. Some of us might have cached versions of the old page. Anyway, I updated the link in the original message for "best results".
One difference between this and their standard bonus is that the standard bonus has a 90 day holding period, whereas this bonus seems to require 180 days. Still seems like a good deal. I assume that ME would award at least the standard bonus even if they decide not to award the 6 month bonus.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:40 pm One difference between this and their standard bonus is that the standard bonus has a 90 day holding period, whereas this bonus seems to require 180 days. Still seems like a good deal. I assume that ME would award at least the standard bonus even if they decide not to award the 6 month bonus.
That's typical of the $1000 bonuses. Also they don't pay it until the end of the holding period rather than the funding period.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Thanks EL. I just initiated a transfer of 100k to Merrill Edge and I should get $500 and the highest preferred rewards tier out of it. I have another 80k that is waiting for a good offer someplace, mostly likely a 50k offer. Q4 should bring something.
tj

Post by tj »

whodidntante wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:06 pm Thanks EL. I just initiated a transfer of 100k to Merrill Edge and I should get $500 and the highest preferred rewards tier out of it. I have another 80k that is waiting for a good offer someplace, mostly likely a 50k offer. Q4 should bring something.
Consider both a $50k and a $25k offer. ETrade offers $200 for $25k which is more lucrative than anyone else.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

tj wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:21 pm
whodidntante wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:06 pm Thanks EL. I just initiated a transfer of 100k to Merrill Edge and I should get $500 and the highest preferred rewards tier out of it. I have another 80k that is waiting for a good offer someplace, mostly likely a 50k offer. Q4 should bring something.
Consider both a $50k and a $25k offer. ETrade offers $200 for $25k which is more lucrative than anyone else.
$200 for 25k is generous, thanks for the tip.
Bradiator

Post by Bradiator »

I write with a cautionary tale.

In part because of the reassurance this thread provided (and the advantages to having Preferred Rewards status for some credit card accounts), I finally pulled the trigger on a transfer from Vanguard to Merrill Edge a couple weeks back. I filled out a form for a partial transfer of a number of Vanguard ETFs, leaving other securities (my Vanguard mutual funds) where they are.

What I got instead was a full transfer. All my cash, Vanguard mutual funds and ETFs went over. I have had three separate conversations with three different Merrill Edge associates ... and each time I've had to tell them to open the transfer form and read it in order to understand my instructions. It is hard to trust people with your assets when they seem to have difficulty taking your instructions seriously.

I suspect it will all get fixed eventually, but it's already been a much more painful process than I had hoped.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Did you file a form, or use the online transfer? I've made several transfers to ME without problem, but of course that doesn't help you. It's a useful data point.
Bradiator

Post by Bradiator »

I filled out a paper form and faxed it in. I believe this was required because they are trust accounts, but I am not sure.

That said, my instructions on the form are completely legible and unambiguous. I get that some data entry error could lead to "full" instead of "partial" being fat-fingered. Mistakes happen. But again, these people manage my money and clerical errors do not make me feel good.
SlowMovingInvestor

is TDAM giving an cash for transfers to an existing account right now ? I have a small account in another brokerage that I want to transfer over (possibly topped with some cash to reach a threshold). I can only find pages about opening new accounts in TDAM.

Not expecting a lot of bonus $$, but any amount is gravy.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:17 pm is TDAM giving an cash for transfers to an existing account right now ? I have a small account in another brokerage that I want to transfer over (possibly topped with some cash to reach a threshold). I can only find pages about opening new accounts in TDAM.
I usually just open a new account when it says that. No real problem. You can always contact them and see if they will code the current account for a bonus.

Their standard offer is available:

https://www.tdameritrade.com/specialoffer.page

Their best offer doesn't seem to be active right now, or they haven't updated the offer page, as it says open by 9/30:

https://www.tdameritrade.com/offer/for90days/index.html
SlowMovingInvestor

Does Fidelity have any bonuses in the third quarter (other than the largely useless 500 trades free bonus) ? I looked on their site, but didn't find anything. I used to particularly like their mileage bonuses, but those vanished at the end of March.