The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
dual

Re: orphan accounts

Post by dual »

I have had an IRA at E*trade for several years with a $1.50 balance. I tried several times to get them to close it but they keep sending statements.

Any ideas on how to kill it dead?

Do I need to close it completely to be eligible for their new account bonus. I realize their latest offer is for non-retirement accounts but I want to be in position for when they offer a bonus on IRAs.

TIA
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Re: The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

You'd probably need to empty it first. You can just transfer the 1.50 out to a bank account. They probably have a form for IRA closing.
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

I have 400,000 in new money to deposit. My account is at Fidelity, I'd like to send it there, but they are not offering a transfer bonus at that level.

Any transfer deals that are good enough to make it worth the hassle of getting a new account somewhere?

Any reason to think that if I just wait a while, Fidelity will offer me something?
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Merrill Edge is offering $1000 for 200k. You can ask if they will give more for a higher transfer. One caution, this offer is technically for attendees at an Expo. People have received the bonus in the past, but I don't know if asking about it could be a problem. As far as I know they don't require any proof of attendance.

I don't know what Fidelity's plans are.
chicagoan23

Post by chicagoan23 »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:41 pm I hadn't realized TD Ameritrade had a $1000 offer going, but here it is:

https://www.tdameritrade.com/offer/for90days/index.html

They are pretty formulaic. In fact the bonuses are automatically credited as each level is reached. However, it wouldn't hurt to contact them and see, maybe a rep can work something out. You wouldn't be able to put 11K into the IRA, as the limit is 5500/6500 depending on age. There are no joint IRAs.

You might get another custodian to match the TDA offer and split the account into two 100k rollovers for $500 each. Or take $500 from TDA and $300 from another. That's easy enough.
Just received the $1,000 credit from TD Ameritrade with a transfer of $250k (almost on the dot). Thanks very much for your work on this post!
"The Basic Choices for Investors and the One We Strongly Prefer" | | https://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/2011ltr.pdf
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

chicagoan23 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:08 pm Just received the $1,000 credit from TD Ameritrade with a transfer of $250k (almost on the dot). Thanks very much for your work on this post!
Another Success Story!
I just got one at Scottrade. Only $600/250k, but they're not going to be around much longer so I wanted to get a last chance.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

A general point of information. Scottrade makes it easier to do a complete transfer versus a partial. The former can be done on the web site, the latter requires filling out a form and sending it to the local office by fax or mail. Bleah. What I found was that total transfer out of Fidelity taxable account does not close the account (at least so far).
drk

Post by drk »

It looks like there's a new Schwab bonus that should be a good option for those looking to transfer between $10k and $100k.

https://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/nn ... d_sps.html
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

drk wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:28 pm It looks like there's a new Schwab bonus that should be a good option for those looking to transfer between $10k and $100k.

That's good. If I read it right, it's available for existing accounts, so no need to open a new one. Thanks for the notice.
tj

Post by tj »

drk wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:28 pm It looks like there's a new Schwab bonus that should be a good option for those looking to transfer between $10k and $100k.

The Schwab offers are once per lifetime unfortunately. Or they were at one point.
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

tj wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:03 pm

The Schwab offers are once per lifetime unfortunately. Or they were at one point.
It does say for Stock Plan Services Participants only. That should be easy for Schwab to track ...
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:13 pm
tj wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:03 pm

It does say for Stock Plan Services Participants only. That should be easy for Schwab to track ...
There's nothing about that in the terms and if you start a brokerage account with the link it's clearly a regular one where they tout DIY investing with low commissions on stocks. I wouldn't worry about that, but you can always ask for clarification.

In the terms it mentions aggregate of offers and things like that, so at this one seems to be not for "new customers only".
student

Post by student »

Merrill Edge has temporarily up its bonus.

https://www.merrilledge.com/offers/1000 ... d=lvexpo17
SlowMovingInvestor

student wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:33 pm Merrill Edge has temporarily up its bonus.

It says only for Las Vegas Expo attendees. But they might not enforce it, of course.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:58 am
student wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:33 pm Merrill Edge has temporarily up its bonus.

It says only for Las Vegas Expo attendees. But they might not enforce it, of course.
As it did the last time they had this. I got one without issue. I recommend opening an account from the link so that it's coded with the offer.
hale2

Post by hale2 »

I used this last year. I applied under the link so they had the code. I was later asked again for the code. I guess they wanted to make sure I didn't stumble onto the link with the $1k bonus. I gave them in the info again and received the bonus. I recommend you keep a screen shot of the offer in case you are asked about it after you apply, like I was.
packerguy

Post by packerguy »

I decided to do a 401K rollover to IRA with Schwab, but they did not have as good of a promotion as TD Ameritrade. I called and asked if they would match the TD Ameritrade offer. It took a few hours to confirm that they would match it, but it was pretty easy. So it does hurt to ask.
zeugmite

Post by zeugmite »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:57 amAs it did the last time they had this. I got one without issue. I recommend opening an account from the link so that it's coded with the offer.
Is this something you can do every time they have this? Just open more accounts?
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

zeugmite wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:07 am
Earl Lemongrab wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:57 amAs it did the last time they had this. I got one without issue. I recommend opening an account from the link so that it's coded with the offer.
Is this something you can do every time they have this? Just open more accounts?
I usually just open new ones. Often the offer specifies a new account. From some other custodians I have received offers to apply a bonus to an existing account.
zeugmite

Post by zeugmite »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:51 amI usually just open new ones. Often the offer specifies a new account. From some other custodians I have received offers to apply a bonus to an existing account.
Later, can you recombine for easier management, or does that trigger "closing fees"?
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

zeugmite wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:29 am
Earl Lemongrab wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:51 amI usually just open new ones. Often the offer specifies a new account. From some other custodians I have received offers to apply a bonus to an existing account.
Later, can you recombine for easier management, or does that trigger "closing fees"?
I don't know.
tj

Post by tj »

I have two E*Trade accounts. One will always be $0.

I guess they don't care.
SlowMovingInvestor

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:57 am

As it did the last time they had this. I got one without issue. I recommend opening an account from the link so that it's coded with the offer.
I tried to open an account today, and it says the offer code is expired, although the page says apply by December 15th 2017. I could try and call, but I suspect the rep would ask me if I attended the EXPO (which I didn't).
pre

Post by pre »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:21 am

I tried to open an account today, and it says the offer code is expired, although the page says apply by December 15th 2017. I could try and call, but I suspect the rep would ask me if I attended the EXPO (which I didn't).
I'd just just another attempt. Applied online and it went through for me, approved.

I had done the most recent promo in October by phone, and mentioned the offer code and no further questions asked. :)
SlowMovingInvestor

pre wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:37 am

I'd just just another attempt. Applied online and it went through for me, approved.

I had done the most recent promo in October by phone, and mentioned the offer code and no further questions asked. :)
Did you apply online today or earlier than today ? Possible there's a problem with their back end systems.
student

Post by student »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:40 am
pre wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:37 am

Did you apply online today or earlier than today ? Possible there's a problem with their back end systems.
Just call them. You have nothing to lose. They want your money.
zeugmite

Post by zeugmite »

Confirmed that it's dead online. They are asking about attendance (though not clear what verification there is), which leads me to believe this is slightly risky in the first place, especially when they have 180+ days to renege.
pre

Post by pre »

zeugmite wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:53 am Confirmed that it's dead online. They are asking about attendance (though not clear what verification there is), which leads me to believe this is slightly risky in the first place, especially when they have 180+ days to renege.
Likely was a momentary glitch. A family friend just opened his account a few hours ago.

In my case, after getting the account opened last night/early this morning, I called in and was transferred to an investment consultant, as I had some questions about the transfer. The rep was very helpful and said she'd make sure my bonus gets credited. No talk at all about the code/verification :)

I mostly called in because my funds are coming in from Capital One (formerly ING Direct), and they do most of the transfer process by paper and often require a MSG. I basically called to verify Merrill will still take care of that stamping for me -- some custodians don't have this capability.
zeugmite

Post by zeugmite »

pre wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:35 pm Likely was a momentary glitch. A family friend just opened his account a few hours ago.
Indeed it looks like it's working again, however, the applications is just submitted and still needs to be approved. Some have said they got a call later from a rep about attendance. Guess will wait and see.
SlowMovingInvestor

My ME application was approved once the site started working.
student

Post by student »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:37 pm My ME application was approved once the site started working.
Great. Please keep us updated.
gostars

Post by gostars »

I opened ME IRA and CMA accounts a few days ago and got a phone call from an "Investment Consultant" who didn't seem to be aware that I had opened 2 different accounts, nor that I had used the promo code. Not the best early impression. The only reason I've ever called my brokerage in the past was to get a check cut, and since it appears to be trivial to transfer funds from the CMA to a B of A account, I doubt I'll be calling them. As long as my transfer bonus and Platinum Honors status show up, that's all I'm concerned about.
tj

Post by tj »

gostars wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:32 pm I opened ME IRA and CMA accounts a few days ago and got a phone call from an "Investment Consultant" who didn't seem to be aware that I had opened 2 different accounts, nor that I had used the promo code. Not the best early impression. The only reason I've ever called my brokerage in the past was to get a check cut, and since it appears to be trivial to transfer funds from the CMA to a B of A account, I doubt I'll be calling them. As long as my transfer bonus and Platinum Honors status show up, that's all I'm concerned about.

They always call for new accouts. I just let it go to voice mail.
zeugmite

Post by zeugmite »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:37 pm My ME application was approved once the site started working.
Approved as in you can log in already? Wonder why my application still needs approval.
SlowMovingInvestor

zeugmite wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:33 pm
Approved as in you can log in already? Wonder why my application still needs approval.
I already had BoA/ME accounts, but I can see the new account on my login.

Do you have your credit locked ? Sometimes BoA does soft pulls ..
zeugmite

Post by zeugmite »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:25 amDo you have your credit locked ? Sometimes BoA does soft pulls ..
Yeah that might be it, fraud alert from the Experian fiasco. Oh well, the language says to "open" by such and such a date, I hope it's when an eventually approved application is made, instead.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

My Schwab $100 bonus posted today just like they promised. 30 days, 1k deposit, not bad. I also did the Schwab $200 "Investor AmEx" card and I already got that bonus. I don't really care about Equifax hard pulls, which both Schwab and AmEx use. Most of the lenders in my area pull TransUnion.
SlowMovingInvestor

Not sure if it's a public offer, but Etrade sent me a bonus offer -- standard terms (500 for 100K, 1000 for 250K, 2500 for 1M).

6 month holding period, but don't seem to be any free trades. And Etrades commission fee ETFs and funds aren't great (they even dropped NOSIX).
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:46 pm Not sure if it's a public offer, but Etrade sent me a bonus offer -- standard terms (500 for 100K, 1000 for 250K, 2500 for 1M).

6 month holding period, but don't seem to be any free trades. And Etrades commission fee ETFs and funds aren't great (they even dropped NOSIX).
ETrade is pretty expensive as a long-term brokerage platform, but that bonus offer is competitive.
privateer79

Post by privateer79 »

the impending scottrade-TD ameritrade merger has me considering doing this, especially since things will be changing anyway.... additionally I might be able to consolodate normal taxable accounts/IRA's towards institutions that I have ESPP accounts at (E-trade) ... also free trades seem like a good way to get rid of some low-value spin-off "cruft" shares.

does anyone know if pre-existing corporate ESPP accounts typically disqualify you for these bonuses?
it seems like basis gets transfered over... what about end-of year 1099's?

anything else to watch out for?

thanks
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

Yesterday, I tried to get a transfer bonus at Fidelity and was told there are no cash transfer bonuses. I said, but I've read online about others receiving transfer bonuses, and was told, no, absolutely not, there are no cash transfer bonuses. I was very disappointed in that answer.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Hayden wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:06 am Yesterday, I tried to get a transfer bonus at Fidelity and was told there are no cash transfer bonuses. I said, but I've read online about others receiving transfer bonuses, and was told, no, absolutely not, there are no cash transfer bonuses. I was very disappointed in that answer.
Programs change often, and I understand that Fidelity is currently offering a number of free trades over 2 years, but no cash.

Example of how things change: I went with Merrill Edge a couple of weeks ago to secure a $2k bonus ($1k per account) that had a 12/15 expiration (but could be funded up to 45 days after account opening). The current ME bonus dropped to $600 after 12/15.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Hayden wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:06 am Yesterday, I tried to get a transfer bonus at Fidelity and was told there are no cash transfer bonuses. I said, but I've read online about others receiving transfer bonuses, and was told, no, absolutely not, there are no cash transfer bonuses. I was very disappointed in that answer.
They have some, but they are for high balances, $1million and up.
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:59 am
They have some, but they are for high balances, $1million and up.
That's what I told the person at the Fidelity office. She insisted that is not true.

That was my first time ever in a Fidelity office. I won't be going back. Bad experience.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Hayden wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:23 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:59 am They have some, but they are for high balances, $1million and up.
That's what I told the person at the Fidelity office. She insisted that is not true.
It's possible that those have expired.
That was my first time ever in a Fidelity office. I won't be going back. Bad experience.
What was the bad experience?
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:12 pm
Hayden wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:23 pm .
What was the bad experience?
I tried to set up an appointment, but was told they don't do appointments to complete simple forms. Just have to use the rep standing at the desk. Well the rep completed the form incorrectly. Didn't understand the form (it was fidelity's form).
I had to insist she call someone at Fidelity who could explain the form to her. I was there helping a friend; had i not been there, he would have signed the incorrect form, with undesirable consequences.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Unfortunate. I would file a complaint with Fidelity. I haven't used their offices, or those of any other brokerages, so I don't have a comparison.
zeugmite

Post by zeugmite »

Do you recall whether TD issues 1099 forms for brokerage bonuses in a taxable account and if so, which one?
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

zeugmite wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:18 pm Do you recall whether TD issues 1099 forms for brokerage bonuses in a taxable account and if so, which one?
For taxable accounts, any of them will for $600+ as that's pretty much driven by law. I happened to have my 2016 materials at hand, and the TD bonus was on a 1099-MISC. I think that's the most common.
SlowMovingInvestor

whodidntante wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:48 pm
SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:46 pm Not sure if it's a public offer, but Etrade sent me a bonus offer -- standard terms (500 for 100K, 1000 for 250K, 2500 for 1M).

ETrade is pretty expensive as a long-term brokerage platform, but that bonus offer is competitive.
I went back to look at this offer, and it seems to be only for retirement accounts. Unfortunately, I don't have free retirement money. The holding period for this is only 6 months, so would have been a good way to get some bonuses.

I do have a Roth at Etrade that I'm thinking of moving out. I think the holding period for that was 6 months too (but I can't find the specific terms since it was unadvertised), and I will hit 6 months in a few weeks.