The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
tooluser

Re: The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses

Post by tooluser »

whodidntante wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:41 pm 1) I suggest reviewing the list at doctor of credit.
2) If it's been a year since your last taxable account bonus at ME, you can get a new bonus. You have to open a new account, so you'll have two accounts. Vanguard does not offer a bonus.
3) Not at the 250k level.
Very helpful, thanks!
Here's the DrOfCr link for others: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-bro ... p-to-3500/
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

tooluser wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:34 pm
...What's the best deal right now for moving ~$250k in taxable to some place reputable?
How about the Chase Private Client bonus offer - $2,000 for moving in $250K?

https://accounts.chase.com/consumer/ban ... =CPCP520B2

I am currently waiting on my bonus (opened my account in June of 2020). Process is a bit more involved than other transfer bonuses I have done, but not burdensome enough to cause me to wish I had not bothered with it. Wrote on my experience upthread.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

tooluser wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:34 pm For taxable accounts, I currently have TD Ameritrade, Merrill Edge, and Vanguard. I intend to keep the latter two, and would like to transfer out of TD, who are not really doing much for me these days. It would be simplifying to choose one of the other two, but I am open to others. I also have a 401k at Fidelity, so that would also be simplifying in a way.

1) What's the best deal right now for moving ~$250k in taxable to some place reputable?
2) Do ME or Vanguard offer anything for transferring new money into existing taxable accounts?
3) Does Fidelity offer anything for adding a new taxable account?

I have it in the back of my mind to wait out the Schwab/TD merger, but I suspect I won't get any perks by waiting out the account consolidation, so I think I might as well move now and come in later as a new customer, if appropriate at the time.

Thank you.
Before deciding, call your ME rep and ask about bonus to existing. A few months back, I got a $900 bonus for a $250k transfer to an existing account. The rep had to add code to account so not a public offer. YMMV but worth a call.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
student

Post by student »

BuddyJet wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:08 am Before deciding, call your ME rep and ask about bonus to existing. A few months back, I got a $900 bonus for a $250k transfer to an existing account. The rep had to add code to account so not a public offer. YMMV but worth a call.
Do you have an ME rep? When I first opened the account several years ago, they assigned someone to work with me but he was never officially my rep. But I know he is no longer at ME. Does one need to have certain level of assets to get a rep? Thanks.
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

student wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:10 am
BuddyJet wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:08 am Before deciding, call your ME rep and ask about bonus to existing. A few months back, I got a $900 bonus for a $250k transfer to an existing account. The rep had to add code to account so not a public offer. YMMV but worth a call.
Do you have an ME rep? When I first opened the account several years ago, they assigned someone to work with me but he was never officially my rep. But I know he is no longer at ME. Does one need to have certain level of assets to get a rep? Thanks.
It’s been a few years for me too but I think I got my guy assigned at the local branch. Not sure of balance requirement but I opened with $100k for rewards level and started with him then.

My advice is to call or visit your branch and ask about the Merrill rep there. When you chat with the rep, mention that your old rep is no longer there and would like a local contact if things come up. Depending on how things go, you can then say you are thinking of simplifying accounts and ask about bonuses. I assume these reps have bonus or quota for bringing in new money.

Downside is I get a quarterly call asking if I need anything.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
student

Post by student »

BuddyJet wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:29 am
student wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:10 am
It’s been a few years for me too but I think I got my guy assigned at the local branch. Not sure of balance requirement but I opened with $100k for rewards level and started with him then.

My advice is to call or visit your branch and ask about the Merrill rep there. When you chat with the rep, mention that your old rep is no longer there and would like a local contact if things come up. Depending on how things go, you can then say you are thinking of simplifying accounts and ask about bonuses. I assume these reps have bonus or quota for bringing in new money.

Downside is I get a quarterly call asking if I need anything.
Thanks.
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Can someone explain M1 Finance to me?

Can you treat it like a regular brokerage? Can I transfer in and park my ETFs there?
stilllurking

Post by stilllurking »

BuddyJet wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:08 am
tooluser wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:34 pm For taxable accounts, I currently have TD Ameritrade, Merrill Edge, and Vanguard. I intend to keep the latter two, and would like to transfer out of TD, who are not really doing much for me these days. It would be simplifying to choose one of the other two, but I am open to others. I also have a 401k at Fidelity, so that would also be simplifying in a way.

1) What's the best deal right now for moving ~$250k in taxable to some place reputable?
2) Do ME or Vanguard offer anything for transferring new money into existing taxable accounts?
3) Does Fidelity offer anything for adding a new taxable account?

I have it in the back of my mind to wait out the Schwab/TD merger, but I suspect I won't get any perks by waiting out the account consolidation, so I think I might as well move now and come in later as a new customer, if appropriate at the time.

Thank you.
Before deciding, call your ME rep and ask about bonus to existing. A few months back, I got a $900 bonus for a $250k transfer to an existing account. The rep had to add code to account so not a public offer. YMMV but worth a call.
+1

I did the same back in June and got an offer to move $200k to an existing taxable account. Downside is that I have to maintain it for a year before they pay out.
slinky$

Post by slinky$ »

I'm interested in dipping my toe in brokerage transfer bonuses and have a few questions if anyone can comment / help out:

I have a Roth IRA and taxable account at Vanguard both with large balances entirely in VASGX.

1. Is this life strategy fund transferable to other brokers?

2. If not and only ETFs are easily transferred, will converting the this fund to ETFs in my Roth cause any tax consequences (or no, because it is post tax )?

3. Lastly, I do a backdoor Roth at Vanguard and find this process relatively straightforward. I'd be interested in keeping my Roth accounts open at Vanguard and doing a partial transfer to another broker for a bonus. Is this generally possible?
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

slinky$ wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:08 am I'm interested in dipping my toe in brokerage transfer bonuses and have a few questions if anyone can comment / help out:

I have a Roth IRA and taxable account at Vanguard both with large balances entirely in VASGX.

1. Is this life strategy fund transferable to other brokers?

2. If not and only ETFs are easily transferred, will converting the this fund to ETFs in my Roth cause any tax consequences (or no, because it is post tax )?

3. Lastly, I do a backdoor Roth at Vanguard and find this process relatively straightforward. I'd be interested in keeping my Roth accounts open at Vanguard and doing a partial transfer to another broker for a bonus. Is this generally possible?
1. I don't have experience with this scenario. My guess is LS funds are transferable to most brokers. But you will have to pay a fee for new purchases (I think Chase YouInvest has no fees for Vanguard funds, E*Trade for a smaller list of Vanguard funds).

2. No tax consequences for transactions in a Roth IRA.

3. Yes. I transferred a Vanguard fund from my Roth IRA to Merrill Edge recently. Because I had only one fund in the Roth IRA, I had to code the transfer request as a complete transfer. This had the side effect of Vanguard closing out my Roth IRA account. If you don't want that to happen, leave a bit of money like $10 in the money market fund, and on your transfer requests specify a partial transfer of just the specific securities (the ETFs in your case).

Alternatively, transfer the whole account and open a new Roth IRA account at Vanguard for your backdoor Roth - it'll just have a new account number. Only downside is that online transaction history of the old account will be gone once it's closed by Vanguard, but that may not be all that important. You'd want to download any contribution statements, tax statements, etc. before closing the account just in case.
slinky$

Post by slinky$ »

sycamore wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:01 am
1. I don't have experience with this scenario. My guess is LS funds are transferable to most brokers. But you will have to pay a fee for new purchases (I think Chase YouInvest has no fees for Vanguard funds, E*Trade for a smaller list of Vanguard funds).

2. No tax consequences for transactions in a Roth IRA.

3. Yes. I transferred a Vanguard fund from my Roth IRA to Merrill Edge recently. Because I had only one fund in the Roth IRA, I had to code the transfer request as a complete transfer. This had the side effect of Vanguard closing out my Roth IRA account. If you don't want that to happen, leave a bit of money like $10 in the money market fund, and on your transfer requests specify a partial transfer of just the specific securities (the ETFs in your case).

Alternatively, transfer the whole account and open a new Roth IRA account at Vanguard for your backdoor Roth - it'll just have a new account number. Only downside is that online transaction history of the old account will be gone once it's closed by Vanguard, but that may not be all that important. You'd want to download any contribution statements, tax statements, etc. before closing the account just in case.
Thanks :sharebeer - gonna give ME a go for the bonus & preferred rewards
taxi22

Post by taxi22 »

I have about 40k-50K at TD that I would like to either move somewhere else to get a bonus offer or keep at TD, if they have some sort of retention offer. My question is:

1) How should I approach TD in asking for a matching retention offer? What would one say?
2) Is 40k too low of an amount for them to match other offers?
3) I am leaning towards Etrade or ME, any preference on the platform?
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

taxi22 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:23 pm I have about 40k-50K at TD that I would like to either move somewhere else to get a bonus offer or keep at TD, if they have some sort of retention offer. My question is:

1) How should I approach TD in asking for a matching retention offer? What would one say?
2) Is 40k too low of an amount for them to match other offers?
3) I am leaning towards Etrade or ME, any preference on the platform?
At that asset level I doubt you’ll get much receptivity in a retention bonus. Also, any transfer bonus will be limited in amount again due to the asset size.

FWIW, I did two asset transfers to Merrill Edge this year and the process was smooth and easy. I don’t trade so can’t comment on their platform. It was an easy way to pick up $1,800, I’ll say that.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

Just got off the phone with my Private Client Advisor at Fidelity. After having to endure his pitch on why I should be using SMA’s and how Fidelity could help me buy some MYGA’s, he mentioned to me that Fidelity is dipping their toe back in the transfer bonus game waters. Not in a big way, but better than nothing. He said bonus is $1,000 per million transferred capped at $5,000. Really nothing to get excited about, but in the spirit of this thread I thought I’d share that bit of news.

He seemed to acknowledge that they’ve seen money move to Merrill Edge over the last couple of years - due to free commissions he posited. I told him it was more likely due to transfer bonuses and the ability to get Platinum Honors level status at BofA (and the benefits that come from that). He did not seem to be aware of the benefit ME clients were earning at BofA.
Thrifty Femme

Post by Thrifty Femme »

Another data point for Chase Private Client. I received a targeted email to join. I scheduled a phone call online last Thursday and spoke with someone on the banking side for about 5 minutes last Friday. He explained the program and scheduled a same day appointment for me with an investments banker, since he couldn't answer any of my questions.

The conversation with the investment banker was about 10 minutes. He didn't continue trying to sell after I said I'm a DIY investor with 20 years experience. He asked about 1) the type of account I wanted to transfer 2) the ball park amount 3) what positions I hold 4) how much I had in liquid funds 5) and ball park net worth. He said he needed brokerage statements for an ACATS transfer. I'm finally grateful for Vanguard and Fidelity's unconsolidated statements! A few hours later he sent paperwork for me to e-sign and more paperwork on Monday. The accounts are visible on the .com site today, so totally time from initial conversation to arrival at Chase was 7 calendar days. Rather painless all in all.

My and my husband's existing accounts were updated to CPC by end of day Monday. They sent my husband CPC information via 2-day UPS. Apparently CPC members are losing the 4 free overdraft fees in early November. Oh well.
snowman

Post by snowman »

Is traditional IRA account eligible for $2K CPC offer? Or is this for taxable accounts only? Thanks.
Thrifty Femme

Post by Thrifty Femme »

snowman wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:02 pm Is traditional IRA account eligible for $2K CPC offer? Or is this for taxable accounts only? Thanks.
Yes, non-Chase IRAs are eligible.
snowman

Post by snowman »

Thrifty Femme wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:03 pm
snowman wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:02 pm Is traditional IRA account eligible for $2K CPC offer? Or is this for taxable accounts only? Thanks.
Thanks, that was quick! Reading the T&Cs it's not clearly spelled out. I assume you did transfer IRA account? Thanks again.
Thrifty Femme

Post by Thrifty Femme »

snowman wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:12 pm
Thanks, that was quick! Reading the T&Cs it's not clearly spelled out. I assume you did transfer IRA account? Thanks again.
Yes, I transferred Roth accounts.
grp2c

Post by grp2c »

have you confirmed this with the chase representative

Offer says:

Accounts that qualify for your new money deposit:
Personal Checking and Savings accounts
Eligible J.P. Morgan investment accounts (opened in a Chase branch and serviced by a J.P Morgan Private Client Advisor or Financial Advisor)

Accounts that do not qualify for your new money deposit:
Business Checking and Savings accounts
Any You InvestSM accounts
Any J.P. Morgan retirement accounts (such as Traditional and Roth IRAs, Keoghs, SEP and SIMPLE IRAs, and 401(k) plans)
CDs
Insurance products
Fixed and variable annuities
J.P. Morgan Fund Accounts
529 College Savings Plans
Attorney trust accounts
Client fund trust accounts
Government or Non-Profit accounts
snowman

Post by snowman »

Thrifty Femme wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:14 pm
Thanks again, really appreciate your quick replies! I was about to do $1K ME offer but this is way better and doesn't appear too painful.
Thrifty Femme

Post by Thrifty Femme »

grp2c wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:14 pm
have you confirmed this with the chase representative

Offer says:

Accounts that qualify for your new money deposit:
Personal Checking and Savings accounts
Eligible J.P. Morgan investment accounts (opened in a Chase branch and serviced by a J.P Morgan Private Client Advisor or Financial Advisor)

Accounts that do not qualify for your new money deposit:
Business Checking and Savings accounts
Any You InvestSM accounts
Any J.P. Morgan retirement accounts (such as Traditional and Roth IRAs, Keoghs, SEP and SIMPLE IRAs, and 401(k) plans)
CDs
Insurance products
Fixed and variable annuities
J.P. Morgan Fund Accounts
529 College Savings Plans
Attorney trust accounts
Client fund trust accounts
Government or Non-Profit accounts
Yes, I confirmed non-JPM retirement accounts are eligible. IRAs are investment accounts, specifically brokerage accounts. I had an offer with slightly different language on opening the account. My offer was targeted, but I'm pretty sure you can go to chase.com/ PrivateClient to find the promo.
Take advantage of this offer before 10/01/2020
Email Security Information | View Online

Say Hello To So Much More With Chase Private Client.
Priority Service, No Fees On Everyday Banking, More Benefits And A $2,000 Bonus
Schedule A Phone Meeting

Complete These Steps To Receive Your Bonus
01Upgrade Your AccountSpeak with a Private Client Banker by 10/01/2020 to upgrade your account.1 Schedule a phone meeting below.
Your Upgrade Code: <random alphanumeric code>
Schedule A Phone Meeting
Or drop in a Chase branch at your convenience.

02Transfer Your $250,000Within 45 calendar days, transfer a total of $250,000 or more in new money to a combination of eligible checking and/or savings and/or investment accounts (excludes any You InvestSM, J.P. Morgan retirement accounts and CDs)* and maintain the balance for at least 90 days.
See below for Bonus/Account and other important information.Chase Private Client is available to individuals who maintain an average daily balance of $250,000 or more in any combination of qualifying identified deposits and investments.1
Enjoy Your $2,000
Your bonus will appear in your new account within 30 business days after completing qualifying activities.
Experience A Banking Relationship That Brings You More.
Priority Service
A team dedicated to you.
No Fees On Everyday BankingNo ATM fees worldwide.2

More Savings
Discounted rates on new and refinanced mortgages.3
Travel BenefitsFar-reaching benefits at home and abroad.Get Started TodaySpeak with a Private Client Banker and be on your way towards $2,000. Schedule your phone meeting here or find your nearest branch.
Si tiene alguna pregunta, por favor llame o visite una sucursal local de Chase.
Email Security Information
Email intended for: Thrifty Femme's email address

If you have concerns about the authenticity of this message, please visit chase.com/CustomerService for options on how to contact us.IMPORTANT INFORMATION

*Bonus Account Information: To receive the $2,000 bonus: 1) Meet with a Private Client Banker to upgrade to Chase Private Client CheckingSM account. 2) Within 45 calendar days, transfer a total of $250,000 or more in qualifying new money or securities to a combination of only eligible accounts:
Eligible Accounts: qualifying Chase personal and business checking and savings accounts, as well as J.P. Morgan investment accounts (opened in a Chase branch and serviced by a J.P. Morgan Private Client Advisor or Financial Advisor).
Ineligible Accounts: any You InvestSM accounts, any J.P. Morgan retirement accounts (such as Traditional and Roth IRAs, Keoghs, SEP and SIMPLE IRAs, and 401(k) plans); CDs; insurance products; fixed and variable annuities; J.P.Morgan Fund Accounts; 529 College Savings Plans; attorney trust accounts; client fund trust accounts; as well as Government or Non-Profit accounts.
The qualifying new money cannot be existing deposits, funds or securities held by you at Chase or its affiliates. AND 3) Maintain at least a $250,000 balance for at least 90 days from the date of funding (gains and losses to qualifying investment balances from trading or market fluctuation will not be counted for purposes of meeting the balance requirements). After you have completed all the above requirements, we will deposit the bonus in your existing Chase Private Client Checking account within 30 business days. To receive this bonus, enrolled checking accounts must be open and in good standing at the time of payout. The Annual Percentage Yield (APY), for Chase Private Client Checking effective as of 07/27/20 is 0.01% for all balances in all states. Interest rates are variable and subject to change. Additionally, fees may reduce earnings on the account. You can only participate in one Chase Private Client CheckingSM, Chase SapphireSM Checking or You InvestSM new money bonus in a 12 month period from the last enrollment date. Coupon is good for one time use and only one bonus per account. Bonuses are considered interest and will be reported on IRS Form 1099-INT (or Form 1042-S, if applicable).

Chase Private Client Relationship

1Available to individuals who maintain an average daily balance of $250,000 or more in any combination of qualifying identified depositsa and investmentsb. If total balances in qualifying deposits and investments do not meet the Chase Private Client requirements, Chase may contact you to help determine an alternate Chase product.
a)Qualifying personal and business deposit accounts you own include Chase personal checking and savings accounts, CDs, Chase business checking and savings accounts (balances in attorney trust accounts, client fund trust accounts, and Government or Non-Profit accounts do not qualify), or certain investment management fiduciary and custody accounts, certain Chase Retirement CDs, or certain Chase Retirement Money Market accounts.
b)Qualifying personal investments include balances in investment and annuity products offered by JPMorgan Chase & Co. or its affiliates and agencies. Balances in 529 plans and certain retirement plan investment accounts do not qualify. Investment products and related services are only available in English.

2There is no Chase fee at non-Chase ATMs. Chase will refund ATM fees charged by the ATM owner/network. This benefit will begin the next business day after opening the account. Some ATM owners/networks do not identify these fees in the information they send to us and, as a result, we may not automatically refund the fee. If for any reason the refund is not processed, please contact us. There is no Foreign Exchange Rate Adjustment Fee when conducting transactions in a foreign currency. If you choose to convert an international transaction to U.S. dollars at either an ATM or on a purchase, foreign currency commissions and fees included in the exchange rate charged by third parties are excluded from Chase reimbursements.

3The Chase Mortgage Rate Program offers Chase Private Clients rate discounts of 0.125% for total deposits and investments in personal accounts of $250,000 – $999,999 or 0.25% for $1,000,000+ for purchase and refinance transactions. These discounts apply to the full spectrum of residential mortgage types, including fixed-and adjustablerate products for jumbo and conforming mortgages. For fixed-rate mortgages the Private Client Mortgage Rate Program discount is for the life of the loan and until the first adjustment on adjustable-rate mortgages (ARM).For the Adjustable-Rate Mortgage (ARM) product, interest is fixed for a set period of time, and adjusts periodically thereafter. At the end of the fixed-rate period, the interest and payments may increase. The APR may increase after the loan consummation. The mortgage rate disclosed at the time of the application will be based on current eligible banking and investment balances held by the customer(s) at JPMorgan Chase excluding any funds associated with the mortgage, such as down payment or closing costs. JPMorgan Chase does not require that customers structure or hold their balances in any particular type of account in order to qualify for a loan or the Private Client Mortgage Rate Program, nor does JPMorgan Chase require customers to purchase any nontraditional banking products or services (such as brokerage accounts) from affiliates like J.P. Morgan Securities LLC. Personal banking and investment balances will be used to determine the appropriate mortgage rate discounts. Business accounts do not qualify for mortgage rate discounts.

All home lending products are subject to credit and property approval. Rates, program terms and conditions are subject to change without notice. Not all products are available in all states or for all amounts. Other restrictions and limitations apply.

"Chase Private Client" is the brand name for a banking and investment product and service offering.

Bank deposit accounts, such as checking and savings, may be subject to approval. Deposit products and related services are offered by JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. Member FDIC.

You Invest is a business of J.P. Morgan Securities LLC offering self-directed brokerage (You Invest Trade) and investment advisory services (You Invest Portfolios).

Investment products and services are offered through J.P. Morgan Securities LLC (JPMS), a registered broker-dealer and investment advisor, member of FINRA and SIPC. Annuities are made available through Chase Insurance Agency, Inc. (CIA), a licensed insurance agency, doing business as Chase Insurance Agency Services, Inc. in Florida. JPMS, CIA and JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. are affiliated companies under the common control of JPMorgan Chase & Co. Products not available in all states.

BANKER INSTRUCTIONS

1. Upgrade existing account to Chase Private Client Checking.
2. Enter coupon code.
3. E-Coupon Receipt: A printed receipt will be provided.
Offer Expires: 10/01/2020
INVESTMENT AND INSURANCE PRODUCTS ARE:
• NOT FDIC INSURED • NOT INSURED BY ANY FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AGENCY • NOT A DEPOSIT OR OTHER OBLIGATION OF, OR GUARANTEED BY, JPMORGAN CHASE BANK, N.A. OR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES • SUBJECT TO INVESTMENT RISKS, INCLUDING POSSIBLE LOSS OF THE PRINCIPAL AMOUNT INVESTEDABOUT THIS MESSAGE

This promotional email was sent to you to provide information about products, services, or special offers that may be of interest to you. You can unsubscribe from future promotional emails from the JPMorgan Chase & Co. family of companies including "special offers from Chase" such as this or submit your request in writing to Chase Privacy Operations, P.O. Box 659752, San Antonio, TX 78265-9752. It takes up to 10 business days to process your request. You'll continue to receive Chase service emails.

This email was sent from an unmonitored mailbox. Go to chase.com/CustomerService for options on how to contact us.

Your privacy is important to us. See our online Security Center to learn how to protect your information.

Deposit and home lending products provided by JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. Member FDIC.© 2020 JPMorgan Chase & Co.
snowman

Post by snowman »

I have done investment bonuses with most brokers, but never with Chase, and online data points on CPC $2K offer are very limited. I'd like to confirm with people that already received the bonus that my understanding is 100% correct.

Steps needed to get $2K:

1. Meet with private banker, give them my online promo code, they will in turn convert my total checking account (that just received $300 bonus and is open just to satisfy 6-month bonus requirement) into CPC checking account, and connect me with investment advisor.

2. Meet with that person, give them my latest TDA statement, they will open CPC IRA account and initiate ACAT transfer.

3. Wait 90 days, $2K bonus posts. After it posts, convert the account to YouInvest at no cost. Then transfer out of Chase for another bonus, since there isn't any minimum time requirement once bonus is paid.

Seems easy enough, I have no problem talking to a banker or advisor. Couple questions:

1. Can I trade online for free without contacting my advisor in those 3-4 months with Chase? It seems the answer is yes, though someone posted they had to go through advisor. Would like clarification on that.

2. Does Chase reimburse outgoing account transfer fee from TDA? I will ask but would like to know from you guys.

3. Are there any hidden monthly account fees, or any AUM fees? Again, looking at fee schedule and the answer seems no, but wanted additional confirmation.

Thank you guys!
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

snowman wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:30 pm
Thrifty Femme wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:14 pm
Thanks again, really appreciate your quick replies! I was about to do $1K ME offer but this is way better and doesn't appear too painful.
The conversations with the advisor are the painful parts. I detailed my experience upthread. My 90 calendar days just completed. Now it is 30 business days I think till the bonus posts.
Thrifty Femme

Post by Thrifty Femme »

snowman wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:43 pm I have done investment bonuses with most brokers, but never with Chase, and online data points on CPC $2K offer are very limited. I'd like to confirm with people that already received the bonus that my understanding is 100% correct.

Steps needed to get $2K:

1. Meet with private banker, give them my online promo code, they will in turn convert my total checking account (that just received $300 bonus and is open just to satisfy 6-month bonus requirement) into CPC checking account, and connect me with investment advisor. Yes.

2. Meet with that person, give them my latest TDA statement, they will open CPC IRA account and initiate ACAT transfer. I did this digitally.

3. Wait 90 days, $2K bonus posts. After it posts, convert the account to YouInvest at no cost. Then transfer out of Chase for another bonus, since there isn't any minimum time requirement once bonus is paid. If you don't plan to stay with Chase, there's no reason to convert to YouInvest.

Seems easy enough, I have no problem talking to a banker or advisor. Couple questions:

1. Can I trade online for free without contacting my advisor in those 3-4 months with Chase? It seems the answer is yes, though someone posted they had to go through advisor. Would like clarification on that.
Not sure. The ability is available online, but I haven't tried to see what happens. Ask and let us know.

2. Does Chase reimburse outgoing account transfer fee from TDA? I will ask but would like to know from you guys. No.

3. Are there any hidden monthly account fees, or any AUM fees? Again, looking at fee schedule and the answer seems no, but wanted additional confirmation. No, tell them you don't want to sign up for AUM. My guy didn't try to sell after I said I've been a DIY investor for 20 years.

Thank you guys!
Please report back your findings.
hmw

Post by hmw »

snowman wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:43 pm I have done investment bonuses with most brokers, but never with Chase, and online data points on CPC $2K offer are very limited. I'd like to confirm with people that already received the bonus that my understanding is 100% correct.

2. Does Chase reimburse outgoing account transfer fee from TDA? I will ask but would like to know from you guys.

3. Are there any hidden monthly account fees, or any AUM fees? Again, looking at fee schedule and the answer seems no, but wanted additional confirmation.

Thank you guys!
1. Yes. You can trade on line for free without contacting your advisor.
2. I don't know.
3. No.
snowman

Post by snowman »

Thank you both!!! Will give it a shot and will post my experience here.
hmw

Post by hmw »

I came across this offer which may be useful for people who already have a Merrill Edge account and Preferred rewards.

https://www.merrilledge.com/offers/900offer

$900 bonus for $200K transfer.
Thrifty Femme

Post by Thrifty Femme »

The ME $1000 for 200k link is still alive.

https://www.merrilledge.com/offers/me1000
hmw

Post by hmw »

Thrifty Femme wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:09 pm The ME $1000 for 200k link is still alive.

The $1000 offer is only good for opening a new ME account. I already have a ME account in order to get extra bonus on my BofA cc. The $900 offer is good for existing account as well.
snowman

Post by snowman »

hmw wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:36 pm
Thrifty Femme wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:09 pm The ME $1000 for 200k link is still alive.

The $1000 offer is only good for opening a new ME account. I already have a ME account in order to get extra bonus on my BofA cc. The $900 offer is good for existing account as well.
I am not sure I follow your logic. Both offers require you to open a new account, whether you are an existing ME customer or not. The $1K offer is superior to $900, the only disadvantage being that you have to wait 6 months to get the bonus, instead of 3.
hmw

Post by hmw »

snowman wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:24 pm

I am not sure I follow your logic. Both offers require you to open a new account, whether you are an existing ME customer or not. The $1K offer is superior to $900, the only disadvantage being that you have to wait 6 months to get the bonus, instead of 3.
According the fine print at the bottom of the offer, the $900 offer is valid for new and existing accounts whereas the $1000 offer is only valid for new accounts. I called to ME today to code my account for my $900 offer. But the CSR told me that the Dept that handles cash offers is not open on weekends. They will call me tomorrow.
snowman

Post by snowman »

hmw wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:35 pm

According the fine print at the bottom of the offer, the $900 offer is valid for new and existing accounts whereas the $1000 offer is only valid for new accounts. I called to ME today to code my account for my $900 offer. But the CSR told me that the Dept that handles cash offers is not open on weekends. They will call me tomorrow.
That's correct, it's the standard small print and ME has been doing these promos for years. What it doesn't tell you is that existing customers that open new account with that promo code attached qualify for the bonus. That's why I have 3 IRA accounts with them - after bonus posts, I do partial transfer out (leaving few cents there) to get bonus elsewhere. Once I satisfy time requirement there (say Schwab or TDA), I open new account at ME and start all over again.

If ME wanted the promo to be available to new customers only, they would clearly say that in the small print (many brokers do). I was just about to do the $1K promo again (been out of ME for a year) but noticed $2K Chase promo in this thread so that's what I will go after.
hmw

Post by hmw »

snowman wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:57 pm
hmw wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:35 pm

That's correct, it's the standard small print and ME has been doing these promos for years. What it doesn't tell you is that existing customers that open new account with that promo code attached qualify for the bonus. That's why I have 3 IRA accounts with them - after bonus posts, I do partial transfer out (leaving few cents there) to get bonus elsewhere. Once I satisfy time requirement there (say Schwab or TDA), I open new account at ME and start all over again.

If ME wanted the promo to be available to new customers only, they would clearly say that in the small print (many brokers do). I was just about to do the $1K promo again (been out of ME for a year) but noticed $2K Chase promo in this thread so that's what I will go after.
I didn't know that I can have two CMA accounts at ME and be eligible for sign up bonus. Do you leave your accounts with a few cents open indefinitely? I see that ME charges $49.95 for closing out an account but no fee for a partial transfer out.
snowman

Post by snowman »

hmw wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:08 pm I didn't know that I can have two CMA accounts at ME and be eligible for sign up bonus. Do you leave your accounts with a few cents open indefinitely? I see that ME charges $49.95 for closing out an account but no fee for a partial transfer out.
Yes, I leave them open, precisely because closing the account would cost me $50, whereas transferring out the whole account minus few pennies is free.

I also found that opening new account online is much easier and faster than contacting the broker. If you click on promo offer, and click to open new account from there, it will show you that the code is attached to that account, and if you already have account with ME, it will ask you to login, and it will prefill your application. So quick, easy, no mistakes, and promo code is correctly attached.
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

snowman wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:41 pm
hmw wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:08 pm I didn't know that I can have two CMA accounts at ME and be eligible for sign up bonus. Do you leave your accounts with a few cents open indefinitely? I see that ME charges $49.95 for closing out an account but no fee for a partial transfer out.
Yes, I leave them open, precisely because closing the account would cost me $50, whereas transferring out the whole account minus few pennies is free.

I also found that opening new account online is much easier and faster than contacting the broker. If you click on promo offer, and click to open new account from there, it will show you that the code is attached to that account, and if you already have account with ME, it will ask you to login, and it will prefill your application. So quick, easy, no mistakes, and promo code is correctly attached.
If your account has no more money and you close it, how would they charge you the $50 closeout fee? Bill you in some way?
tj

Post by tj »

JustinR wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:45 pm

If your account has no more money and you close it, how would they charge you the $50 closeout fee? Bill you in some way?
You get charged on a full transfer out (and sometimes less on a partial transfer out), not a closing of the account. So if you keep 1 share and eventually sell it, you can empty it out at no cost.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Brokers can apparently debit the transfer target account for the fee. So if you have no cash, you'll go on margin for it. I transferred an account to Chase and the transferring broker debited $75. Chase YouInvest doesn't offer margin, but I noticed they were charging me interest anyway, so I brought the account to zero. Then I asked them to refund the transfer fee, which they did, after I jumped through the hoops they set up.
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

tj wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:37 pm

You get charged on a full transfer out (and sometimes less on a partial transfer out), not a closing of the account. So if you keep 1 share and eventually sell it, you can empty it out at no cost.
Merrill Edge charges a closeout fee for retirement accounts (separate from a transfer fee, which they also have): https://www.merrilledge.com/pricing

What I'm unclear about is what happens if you leave $1 in your account after doing an ACAT transfer, then withdraw the $1 in cash, and then close the account. Where would they charge $50 to?
whodidntante wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:42 pm Brokers can apparently debit the transfer target account for the fee. So if you have no cash, you'll go on margin for it. I transferred an account to Chase and the transferring broker debited $75. Chase YouInvest doesn't offer margin, but I noticed they were charging me interest anyway, so I brought the account to zero. Then I asked them to refund the transfer fee, which they did, after I jumped through the hoops they set up.
That's true if you do a full ACAT transfer. They'll charge the receiving brokerate and it'll show up as -$75 cash in your receiving brokerage.

But I'm asking specifically about brokerages with a closing fee (like Merrill). What happens if you do a partial transfer with $1 left in cash. Then withdraw the cash to a bank account and close it? I don't think they can debit a regular checking or savings account with the -$75, but can they?
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

JustinR wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:52 pm
That's true if you do a full ACAT transfer. They'll charge the receiving brokerate and it'll show up as -$75 cash in your receiving brokerage.

But I'm asking specifically about brokerages with a closing fee (like Merrill). What happens if you do a partial transfer with $1 left in cash. Then withdraw the cash to a bank account and close it? I don't think they can debit a regular checking or savings account with the -$75, but can they?
I see. They can, but I guess you're asking if they will. If you don't find any data points, try it and see.
hmw

Post by hmw »

Is there a maximum number of taxable or CMA accounts you can have at ME? I know it is somewhat rational, but it bothers me a little bit when I have a few brokerage accounts open with minimal balance.

Had ME or any brokerage try to close your dormant account with minimal balance without a fee?

thanks
snowman

Post by snowman »

hmw wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:06 am Is there a maximum number of taxable or CMA accounts you can have at ME? I know it is somewhat rational, but it bothers me a little bit when I have a few brokerage accounts open with minimal balance.

Had ME or any brokerage try to close your dormant account with minimal balance without a fee?

thanks
No idea on first question. I only do IRA for bonuses, never had an issue, accounts with few pennies don't bother me at all. I don't think ME or any broker for that matter would try to close IRA account, as that can potentially have large tax consequences - it would have to be distribution, unqualified, with taxes and penalties involved. But who knows.

One way around it would be to call ME and ask them to transfer "dormant" accounts into currently active account while you are waiting for the bonus to hit. I doubt they would charge fees for that, they might even like the idea.

Never had broker close any of my accounts. I had banks close my accounts unexpectedly after several years of inactivity and zero balance (just forgot to close them after getting bonus). But never brokerage account, and never bank account with a balance.

If these things really bother you, just go for the $900 promo, and be done with it. You will get it in 3 months instead of 6, so you can collect another bonus elsewhere 3 months sooner. Now that I think about it, with Schwab closing on TDA acquisition tomorrow, future bonuses at TDA might disappear. So you might have better luck there sooner rather than later.

Good luck, and don't overthink it. Get either bonus, and move on.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

hmw wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:06 am

Is there a maximum number of taxable or CMA accounts you can have at ME? I know it is somewhat rational, but it bothers me a little bit when I have a few brokerage accounts open with minimal balance.

thanks
I have three CMA accounts and three Roth IRAs. No sign of any limits so far. You can sort of consolidate by transferring securities between accounts. But I've never bothered to actually close one. I believe they charge to close an IRA.
sc9182

Post by sc9182 »

M1Finance seem to UP the Transfer Bonus game a bit for this month only (Oct 2020):
https://www.m1finance.com/earn-up-to-3125/
Promotional credit for any IRA or taxable brokerage accounts ! See some of my previous posts in the last 4 months for M1Finance experiences (and minor quirks)

Best bang for buck can be realized at 1 million+ tier.
$1,000,000+ can get bonus of: $3,125

Code: Select all

Account Value:          Bonus Credit:
$10,000 to $20,000      $20 + $5
$20,000 to $100,000     $100 + $25
$100,000 to $250,000    $250 + $62.50
$250,000 to $500,000    $500 + $125
$500,000 to $1,000,000  $1,000 + $250
$1,000,000+             $2,500 + $625 ~~ $3125 

Transfer a brokerage account to M1 and earn up to $3125
From October 1, 2020 through October 31, 2020, transfer a brokerage account or IRA to M1 and earn up to $3,125. Here’s how to get started:
  • Get a copy of a recent account statement from your brokerage.
  • Ensure you have an account open at M1 that matches the account type you’re transferring (e.g. if you are transferring securities from a joint brokerage account, you’ll need a joint brokerage account open at M1)
  • Submit a transfer request from another brokerage account during promotion period (10/1/2020 12:00 a.m. ET – 10/31/2020 11:59 p.m. ET).
  • Promotional credits will be paid to eligible clients on February 16, 2021.
Eligibility:
  • M1 clients who have transferred a brokerage account to M1 prior to 10/01/2020 are eligible to participate in M1 Finance’s October Transfer Promotion.
  • Clients who have previously transferred a brokerage account to M1 and subsequently transferred out of M1 are not eligible for this promotion.
ZinCO

Post by ZinCO »

Historically I have not gone after brokerage bonuses, and I may have missed out on the good ones (although I used to clean up on the Fidelity 50k United miles per year x2 for joint accounts, before that program got canceled). I have a mid-6-figure mutual fund account with its sponsor company (bought direct, the way we used to do it in the old days). It finally dawned on me that I can transfer that in-kind to a brokerage to get the bonus and maybe reduce the amount of tax paperwork at the end of the year. I know most of you are moving IRAs around, but has anyone here moved a mutual fund stake as an in-kind transfer for a bonus? I'm not interested in adding another brokerage, and this would be a permanent move rather than temporary for bonus purposes, so I'm only interested in Fidelity, E-Trade, Merrill Edge, or Schwab.

(There was a comment last week I think about Fidelity bonuses possibly coming back? Anybody seen anything?)
SEAworld9

Post by SEAworld9 »

In the middle of the JPM private client $2k offer. Process has been super simple and straightforward. Closest branch is 3 blocks from home so that helps too, and the reps are very friendly and not salesy at all.
sc9182

Post by sc9182 »

ZinCO wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:35 pm Historically I have not gone after brokerage bonuses, and I may have missed out on the good ones (although I used to clean up on the Fidelity 50k United miles per year x2 for joint accounts, before that program got canceled). I have a mid-6-figure mutual fund account with its sponsor company (bought direct, the way we used to do it in the old days). It finally dawned on me that I can transfer that in-kind to a brokerage to get the bonus and maybe reduce the amount of tax paperwork at the end of the year. I know most of you are moving IRAs around, but has anyone here moved a mutual fund stake as an in-kind transfer for a bonus? I'm not interested in adding another brokerage, and this would be a permanent move rather than temporary for bonus purposes, so I'm only interested in Fidelity, E-Trade, Merrill Edge, or Schwab.

(There was a comment last week I think about Fidelity bonuses possibly coming back? Anybody seen anything?)
For low-to-mid 6 figure accounts, especially Mutual-funds -- its hard to navigate pursuing these "Brokerage Bonus" - many of us that do ACAT Transfers are: "large amounts - at which point $$s actually start making sense","mostly ETFs and/or individual holdings", and "mostly non-frequent-traders". Yes, you may be able to navigate "mutual funds" also - but lots of brokerages have different rules/qualifications on transfer-in of mutual funds (worse-yet, pay serious $$s if you want to contribute/trade to these mutual funds while trading on away-platform..). Worse yet - for smaller bonus yield due to smaller portfolio - transfer-out fees and/or potential 1099 may significantly negate the whole transfer-bonus you signed-up for :oops:

Want easy button !? Try to get 'retention bonus' from existing house, which most of the brokerage houses gotten away with BTW! Or simply stay put - and miss the transfer-bonus party :moneybag
sc9182

Post by sc9182 »

SEAworld9 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:12 pm In the middle of the JPM private client $2k offer. Process has been super simple and straightforward. Closest branch is 3 blocks from home so that helps too, and the reps are very friendly and not salesy at all.
Try one CPC (JPMc/Chase private client) bonus for your spouse as well, double the fun within 3 months :D
Makaveli

Post by Makaveli »

sc9182 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:51 pm M1Finance seem to UP the Transfer Bonus game a bit for this month only (Oct 2020):
https://www.m1finance.com/earn-up-to-3125/
Promotional credit for any IRA or taxable brokerage accounts ! See some of my previous posts in the last 4 months for M1Finance experiences (and minor quirks)
Has anyone done this yet? It has been awhile since my last transfer bonus but I am still turned off from the experience because my cost basis has always been botched (converted to average vs SpecID). Any solutions or input on how you kept your records/lots straight when transferring assets?
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

Makaveli wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:51 am ...Any solutions or input on how you kept your records/lots straight when transferring assets?
I took screenshots of the tax lots before initiating the transfer. I spoke with rep's at the destination broker and emphasized the importance of maintaining the tax lots. Was assured in every case that it would be no problem. So far so good - maybe I've been lucky. The transfers I have done so far:

Fidelity to Merrill Edge (x3)
Merrill Edge to JPM/Chase (x1)