Buying international ETFs today

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
gasman

Buying international ETFs today

Post by gasman »

Planning to add to my international position today. Given that this is likely to be an unusual day in the markets, is there a way to discern whether or not an international ETF from whatever provider is trading a significant discount (or premium)?on a real time basis? Looking to pick up an extra percent or two or at least avoid being taken for one.
golfallday

Re: Buying international ETFs today

Post by golfallday »

I plan on doing exactly the same thing...but I'm not going to trade it. I'm buying because it's on sale this morning and I'll hold it forever. Because it's Friday, and the world is still digesting what Brexit actually means, the discounted price should be even more dramatic today. I'm buying VXUS for my taxable account and I will add to that position whenever panic selling occurs next week...and the following weeks.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Re: Buying international ETFs today

Post by grabiner »

If you are trading a low-volume international ETF, a reasonable way to estimate the fair price is to look at a similar high-volume international ETF. For example, if you are buying EEMS (iShares international small-cap), you can see what is happening in emerging markets by looking at the price changes for the large-cap EEM or all-cap VWO; market makers' bids and asks for EEMS and EEM should move together, but there may only be trades in EEM.
Wiki David Grabiner