Actionable advice in a Brexit scenario

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Investment101

Re: Actionable advice in a Brexit scenario

Post by Investment101 »

I got about 50% vanguard total international and 50% total stock, I guess for total stock I don't need to worry about it much since it's US. how about for total international? just leave it?

if they do exit, I am thinking just leave it since I am going for long term, like 10,15 years. Is that the right mindset or should I thinking about selling it.

Actually I got those for about 10 years and I never touched them, should I have sell them or it doesn't matter since I am going for long term?
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

According to the International Monetary Fund, in 1915 the World Gross Domestic Product totaled approximately $18 trillion dollars. The United Kingdom had a Gross Domestic Product of approximately $3 trillion dollars.

Whatever the "Brixit scenario," I doubt it will matter very much. The media is constantly looking for something to write about. Brixit is made to order.

When experts disagree, it is often because it makes no foreseeable difference.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
packet

Post by packet »

The day has arrived ... and I have done and will continue to do nothing different than the day before.

Actually, things look pretty good thus far... :)

:beerCheers,
packet
First round’s on me.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

packet wrote:The day has arrived ... and I have done and will continue to do nothing different than the day before.

packet
+1.

Though I am salivating at a buying opportunity for international stocks, if Brexit does occur. The volatility and (hopefully) panic will be useful for long-term investors, i.e. Bogleheads.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
Doc

Post by Doc »

packet wrote:The day has arrived ... and I have done and will continue to do nothing different than the day before.

packet
Mrs. Doc "invested" in Euros and Pounds yesterday. Total investment approx $450 US. :D

(If she was going to buy today I would have told her to wait.)
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.
drg02b

Post by drg02b »

Put all your money in cotton. Britain will have to resort to its old-world cotton business, and there's money to be made.
packet

Post by packet »

^^ tulips anyone?

packet
First round’s on me.
sco

Post by sco »

If my AA moves by 5% off target, I'll rebalance... Regardless of the headline. If it happens tomorrow it will likely be from domestic to international equities.
CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing »

Turn off the talking heads' reports

stick with the fundamentals of low cost indexing,

know your risk tolerance,

and do not kiss your asset allocation goodbye. :)

m
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

Doc wrote:

packet
Mrs. Doc "invested" in Euros and Pounds yesterday. Total investment approx $450 US. :D

(If she was going to buy today I would have told her to wait.)
@ ~ 9PM EDT -- betting markets have flipped to leave. Pound getting crushed as are futures.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
lgs88

Post by lgs88 »

How does the efficient-market hypothesis account for these wild swings in international stocks on the basis of an odd poll here or there?!

I am scheduled to rebalance into international on the first of the month. Maybe it'll be on sale.
merely an interested amateur
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

lgs88 wrote:How does the efficient-market hypothesis account for these wild swings in international stocks on the basis of an odd poll here or there?!

I am scheduled to rebalance into international on the first of the month. Maybe it'll be on sale.
Er, aren't the wild swings the expected result of the EMH being true (not commenting either way on its validity) ? New information is being processed by market participants.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
nobsinvestor

Post by nobsinvestor »

lgs88 wrote:How does the efficient-market hypothesis account for these wild swings in international stocks on the basis of an odd poll here or there?!

EMH says nothing about the short run [hours, like now]...EMH holds up quite well over the long run as information is processed
avalpert

Post by avalpert »

That is exactly what you would expect under EMH with new information introduced to a volatile and marginal future event. Nobody expects the market to predict the future, it expects it to represent the best prediction given known information - as known information changes the prediction changes.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Looks like great actionable advice would be to short the pound. I'll go back and edit my original answer.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
baw703916

Post by baw703916 »

My advice to any interested Bogleheads would be to not look at your account balance tomorrow, It won't be pretty, unless you have mostly Treasuries.

I guess that would qualify as "inactionable" advice. :)
Most of my posts assume no behavioral errors.
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

Actionable advice is to visit England this summer because everything just went on sale.

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

baw703916 wrote:My advice to any interested Bogleheads would be to not look at your account balance tomorrow, It won't be pretty, unless you have mostly Treasuries.

Limey jerks. First Bunker Hill and now this. Thanks for nothing.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Looks like I will do a little shopping tomorrow.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

JonnyDVM wrote:
baw703916 wrote:My advice to any interested Bogleheads would be to not look at your account balance tomorrow, It won't be pretty, unless you have mostly Treasuries.

Careful, 250 year old political disputes are still politics! :beer
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

triceratop wrote:
JonnyDVM wrote:

Careful, politics! :beer
Too soon?
lgs88

Post by lgs88 »

Surely it's actionable to discuss means of avoiding the cruel impositions of the Stamp Act of 1765?!
scone

Post by scone »

If the pile on into Treasuries lasts, mortgage rates could drop. So plan on buying property after you get back from England. :)
"My bond allocation is the amount of money that I cannot afford to lose." -- Taylor Larimore
Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn »

Tanelorn wrote:If you think they will exit, here are two actionable things:

1. Short the pound. The GBP exchange rate, vs dollars or euros, has moved down when exit polls have risen and up when the polls suggested staying.

2. Sell some equities, especially European equities, and hold more cash. If the exit vote succeeds, those equity markets will fall due to rising uncertainty. Then if you're an optimist that it will all work out, buy some cheap shares and get paid to wait for the uncertainty to pass.

It is looking somewhat more likely than not that the exit vote will pass. The immigration crisis may well tear the EU apart.
Pound is -9% right now, FTSE futures are -8%, S&P futures -5% from their peak near today's close. Leave is leading by half a million votes (2% or so of the total counted), with half the votes counted. It's not over yet.
sfnerd

Post by sfnerd »

Rick Ferri wrote:Actionable advice is to visit England this summer because everything just went on sale.
I'm really happy I used miles to get a couple business class tickets to London in September. Now I just have to spend enough on food and souvenirs to make up for the 6 figure hit my portfolio is going to take tomorrow. Ouch!

:sharebeer
corpgator

Post by corpgator »

I bought some tickets for a 2 weeks vacation to Europe in March next year with points. Should I buy some Euros now?
dmcmahon

Post by dmcmahon »

Taylor Larimore wrote: According to the International Monetary Fund, in 1915 the World Gross Domestic Product totaled approximately $18 trillion dollars. The United Kingdom had a Gross Domestic Product of approximately $3 trillion dollars.
I think you meant 2015, and the $18 trillion is the US GDP - world GDP is around $78 trillion.
Fudgie

Post by Fudgie »

:oops:
Last edited by Fudgie on Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

corpgator wrote:I bought some tickets for a 2 weeks vacation to Europe in March next year with points. Should I buy some Euros now?
Europe might not be there in March :D
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

Fudgie wrote:
triceratop wrote:

packet
+1.

Though I am salivating at a buying opportunity for international stocks, if Brexit does occur. The volatility and (hopefully) panic will be useful for long-term investors, i.e. Bogleheads.
Already placed an order for tomorrow! :mrgreen:
I am kicking myself for buying VSS at 93.12 last week. It seemed like a good idea at the time. :oops:

Oh well, I can buy more next friday (paycheck)! Happy buying. :beer
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Immediate risks, like the potential fallout from Britain's June 23 vote on whether to leave the European Union, could darken the U.S. economic outlook, she told the Senate Banking Committee, as could a downturn in productivity growth that may prove a permanent drag on the economy.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-f ... SKCN0Z71TA

Rate hike off the table for a while?

buy TLT?
lgs88

Post by lgs88 »

How come yen is surging against USD? I thought the dollar was the proper "flight to safety" currency.
sk.dolcevita

Post by sk.dolcevita »

Next, Scotland holds another referendum to cede from UK.

Trouble in Spain. Perhaps France as well. Enough to keep negative headlines re: EU flowing.

Europe/International stocks get smoked for near future.

And time to refinance again!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

sk.dolcevita wrote:Next, Scotland holds another referendum to cede from UK.

Trouble in Spain. Perhaps France as well. Enough to keep negative headlines re: EU flowing.

Bloomberg just said Wales may leave the UK as well. Doubtful but who knows? Maybe Cornwall too?
sk.dolcevita

Post by sk.dolcevita »

Nicolas wrote:
sk.dolcevita wrote:Next, Scotland holds another referendum to cede from UK.

Bloomberg just said Wales may leave the UK as well.
I am bit surprised that Wales voted to leave. Perhaps someone from UK can illuminate.

Gold is up 7%!
siamond

Post by siamond »

The major media outlets confirmed the 'Leave' victory a few minutes ago. Mind boggling. :(

Yup, sit tight, tomorrow isn't going to be fun for stock markets. Staying the course is the only reasonable course of action, though. As usual.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Tanelorn wrote:Pound is -9% right now, FTSE futures are -8%, S&P futures -5% from their peak near today's close. Leave is leading by half a million votes (2% or so of the total counted), with half the votes counted. It's not over yet.
So, time to buy? VTI or VXUS (US market vs international market)? I just picked up some VXUS last week, time to average down or retreat to US equities? My IPS let's me do whatever on this small amount I'm investing and type of news.
Last edited by inbox788 on Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

Is there a reason not to buy?
Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn »

inbox788 wrote:
Tanelorn wrote:Pound is -9% right now, FTSE futures are -8%, S&P futures -5% from their peak near today's close. Leave is leading by half a million votes (2% or so of the total counted), with half the votes counted. It's not over yet.
So, time to buy? VTI or VXUS (US market vs international market)? I just picked up some VXUS last week, time to average down or retreat to US equities? My IPS let's me do whatever on this small amount I'm investing and type of news.
Market timing is hard. If I was buying, I would buy UK equities once I thought the panic was abating. I would not be in a big rush to buy. For all you know, the exchanges may have problems tomorrow early on.
LAlearning

Post by LAlearning »

And they are out!
I know nothing!
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Tanelorn wrote:Market timing is hard. If I was buying, I would buy UK equities once I thought the panic was abating. I would not be in a big rush to buy. For all you know, the exchanges may have problems tomorrow early on.
Yeah, but my IPS doesn't allow me to buy UK equities, so the best I can do is international index. A 5% discount on US equities isn't bad either. And I'm stuck with closing prices on my mutual fund.

It's a shocker, but I think calmer heads will prevail and the crash in the early day will stabilize by the end of the day drifting above lows. Still, I don't expect there is another shoe falling next week and we won't see tomorrows lows again next week. Others would advise you to avoid the falling knives, but I seldom pay attention to these expressions.

Maybe I'll split the difference and buy one tomorrow and the other shortly in a week or two. This bump in the road isn't going to alter any plans in any significant way.
LAlearning wrote:And they are out!
Can Scotland stay or join the EU alone?
http://www.vox.com/2016/6/23/12021222/b ... ppens-next
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

lgs88 wrote:How come yen is surging against USD? I thought the dollar was the proper "flight to safety" currency.
Reserve currency for many Asian countries, frequent healthy trade surplus, most govt debt owned by its citizens... ?

Swiss Franc also frequently a safe haven.
Quod vitae sectabor iter?
peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan »

I run an export business from Japan. NOT happy about this now.
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

triceratop wrote:
I am kicking myself for buying VSS at 93.12 last week. It seemed like a good idea at the time. :oops:

Interesting to watch this fund with its heavy Japanese holdings. Some of the biggest decreases in the Neikki are because of increases in the Yen, hurting exporters. But the effect is dampened for unhedged funds like VSS in such situations. So tomorrow might be really bad instead of awful. :D
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

saltycaper wrote:
triceratop wrote:

Interesting to watch this fund with its heavy Japanese holdings. Some of the biggest decreases in the Neikki are because of increases in the Yen, hurting exporters. But the effect is dampened for unhedged funds like VSS in such situations. So tomorrow might be really bad instead of awful. :D
Not to worry, I only have 5% of my portfolio in VSS for now (slowly buying to meet targets). VXUS, however, is at 29% of total portfolio. :shock: Tomorrow is likely to be a awful day.

I think it will be less than 29% come tomorrow's close. :)
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

Whakamole wrote:Is there a reason not to buy?
Fallout may occur over years, not days. I will buy anyway.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Whakamole wrote:Is there a reason not to buy?
Not specifically, but there is no reason to buy either. If the market drops 3%, or 5%, or even 10% tomorrow, it could be an "over-reaction" and might bounce back soon, or it could continue to fall indefinitely, who knows? Do you know what an over-reaction is when it is happening? Brexit is big. The US market fell over 50% in 2008-9.....a 3% or 10% drop is a drop in the bucket. There are many reasons to suspect this could trigger a chain reaction in Europe.

When the NASDAQ fell from its peak (in 2000?) of around 5000 to around 3500 I took that as a buy signal. It is still below its high, 16 years later, not even factoring inflation.

I have no idea if it is a time to buy or sell, so I intend to do nothing. If you buy and profit from it, it was just a lucky guess. Of course, I hope you are lucky.
bb10

Post by bb10 »

When there's high market volatility, how does one buy mutual funds while maintaining their asset allocation?

I ask because I had planned to invest a lump sum worth about 5% of my total assets tomorrow, 6/24, according to my asset allocation of 60% VTSAX, 30% VTIAX, and 10% in a bond fund. This date just happens to be the day after Brexit.

Is there a way I can make sure tomorrow's investment executes in a way that helps maintain my AA? Since mutual fund balances don't update in real-time on Vanguard's website, I'm not sure how to determine the amount of shares to buy tomorrow afternoon. I imagine my VTIAX balance will not look the same at the end of the day tomorrow as it does right now.

I realize I could hold off and buy after I learn my new end-of-day balances tomorrow, but that feels a little "market-timingy" since I'd planned to do this trading anyway. Thanks for any advice!
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

bb10 wrote:When there's high market volatility, how does one buy mutual funds while maintaining their asset allocation?

I ask because I had planned to invest a lump sum worth about 5% of my total assets tomorrow, 6/24, according to my asset allocation of 60% VTSAX, 30% VTIAX, and 10% in a bond fund. This date just happens to be the day after Brexit.

Is there a way I can make sure tomorrow's investment executes in a way that helps maintain my AA? Since mutual fund balances don't update in real-time on Vanguard's website, I'm not sure how to determine the amount of shares to buy tomorrow afternoon. I imagine my VTIAX balance will not look the same at the end of the day tomorrow as it does right now.
With Vanguard's UI, you don't specify how many shares when purchasing, you specify how many dollars. So if you were investing $100K, then you'd put in an order for $60K of VTSAX, 30% VTIAX, 10% bond fund of your choice, and how many shares would be determined by the closing price.
bb10

Post by bb10 »

Whakamole wrote:
bb10 wrote:When there's high market volatility, how does one buy mutual funds while maintaining their asset allocation?

With Vanguard's UI, you don't specify how many shares when purchasing, you specify how many dollars. So if you were investing $100K, then you'd put in an order for $60K of VTSAX, 30% VTIAX, 10% bond fund of your choice, and how many shares would be determined by the closing price.
True, thanks. But I'm not sure that detail solves the "maintaining my AA" part of the problem...

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to know each fund's value in the middle of the day tomorrow so I know how much of each to buy at the end of the day to maintain my AA. This may not be possible, but it'd come in handy on a day like tomorrow.