"Find out if your [Vanguard] fund is declaring a quarterly dividend in June."

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
gkaplan

"Find out if your [Vanguard] fund is declaring a quarterly dividend in June."

Postby gkaplan » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:56 pm

The table below lists Vanguard mutual funds and exchange-traded funds (ETFs) that will distribute quarterly income dividends in June 2016.

Each fund's per-share dividend rate is posted on the vanguard.com distributions page on the fund's declaration date. Once the distribution amount is posted, you can log on to your account and view dividends for funds you own. The record date, payable date, reinvestment date, and other fund dividend information will also be available....

Vanguard mutual funds and exchange-traded funds distributing quarterly income dividends in June 2016.
Gordon

Tommy

Re: "Find out if your [Vanguard] fund is declaring a quarterly dividend in June."

Postby Tommy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:32 pm

Don't see Star and LS Moderate Growth. They supposed to pay semi-annually

jhfenton

Re: "Find out if your [Vanguard] fund is declaring a quarterly dividend in June."

Postby jhfenton » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:46 am

So the answer is yes, all 7 Vanguard equity funds that I own have June distributions. Typical. :beer

Toons

Postby Toons » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:55 am

Distribution Dates are listed on this page.
Moderate Growth and Star are Semi-Annual
Drop the dates in Google Calendar for the future
or
Bookmark the page
:happy

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... tributions
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

livesoft

Postby livesoft » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:16 am

Note that the link gives the "Declaration date" which is not as helpful as giving the ex-dividend date. It appears the ex-dividend date is 2 business days after the declaration date [for ETF shares].

Also note that because some similar funds have different declaration dates, they may have different ex-dividend dates which in-turn may allow for avoiding the dividend for investors who choose to exchange between similar funds on the appropriate day. Why avoid the dividend? Lower AGI might mean more tax breaks and/or more Roth conversions.
Last edited by livesoft on Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Toons

Postby Toons » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:30 am

For the last 10 years
I have received my dividend from
Vanguard Star Fund
Semi-Annual
June.24-26
Dec. 28-31
As stated

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Babak

Postby Babak » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:04 am

Dividend Growth is also missing from the schedule. We have gotten dividends from both STAR and Dividend Growth every June for years.

goingup

Postby goingup » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:11 am

Babak wrote:Dividend Growth is also missing from the schedule. We have gotten dividends from both STAR and Dividend Growth every June for years.

Your dividends for these funds are "semi-annual" and this is a schedule of funds which pay quarterly dividends.

EyeDee

Vanguard Dividends

Postby EyeDee » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:19 am

I believe you are right about the ex-dividend date being 2 business days after the declaration date for ETF shares, but I thought the ex-dividend date was 1 business day after the declaration date for investor and admiral shares at least for non-brokerage accounts.

livesoft wrote:Note that the link gives the "Declaration date" which is not as helpful as giving the ex-dividend date. It appears the ex-dividend date is 2 business days after the declaration date.

Also note that because some similar funds have different declaration dates, they may have different ex-dividend dates which in-turn may allow for avoiding the dividend for investors who choose to exchange between similar funds on the appropriate day. Why avoid the dividend? Lower AGI might mean more tax breaks and/or more Roth conversions.
Randy

livesoft

Postby livesoft » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:17 am

@EyeDee, yes, thanks. I am most interested in ETFs.

The declaration date is just the date that the size or value or amount of the dividend is declared or actually announced.

pshonore

Postby pshonore » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:37 pm

Declaration date has no meaning for stocks and ETFs. Date of record is what counts and is what is reflected in the ex-dividend date. Or to say it another way, you must be an owner at the close of business of ex-div day to get the dividend

livesoft

Postby livesoft » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:48 pm

pshonore wrote:Declaration date has no meaning for stocks and ETFs. Date of record is what counts and is what is reflected in the ex-dividend date. Or to say it another way, you must be an owner at the close of business of ex-div day to get the dividend

That's not quite correct. You must buy the day before the ex-dividend date to get the dividend. You will be the owner by settlement date which is different for ETFs and mutual funds. We always have these discussions and we always link to this thread: viewtopic.php?t=65205

The confusion is created by Vanguard I think because they use Declaration Date, Record Date, Payment Date, ex-Dividend Date, and perhaps some other dates for their various products and communications.

The declaration date for a stock and ETF is simply the day that the information is declared, so there is some meaning. Declaration date would be the day that the amount of the dividend is confirmed or made known and also the ex-dividend date could be announced. For some stocks, the ex-dividend date is a month or more after the declaration date.
Last edited by livesoft on Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pshonore

Postby pshonore » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:51 pm

livesoft wrote:
pshonore wrote:Declaration date has no meaning for stocks and ETFs. Date of record is what counts and is what is reflected in the ex-dividend date. Or to say it another way, you must be an owner at the close of business of ex-div day to get the dividend

That's not quite correct. You must buy the day before the ex-dividend date to get the dividend. You will be the owner by settlement date which is different for ETFs and mutual funds. We always have these discussions and we always link to this thread: viewtopic.php?t=65205

The declaration date for a stock and ETF is simply the day that the information is declared, so there is some meaning. Declaration date would be the day that the amount of the dividend is confirmed or made known and also the ex-dividend date could be announced. For some stocks, the ex-dividend date is a month or more after the declaration date.

You are absolutely correct; you must be an owner at the close on the business day BEFORE ex-div date. But there is no relation of declaration date to ex-div date, record date or payment date, for stocks and etfs.

livesoft

Postby livesoft » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:30 am

So some dividend information has been updated at vanguard.com

I would like to contrast how Vanguard presents information differently for the mutual fund and the ETF with VTSAX / VTI as examples:

Mutual fund

ETF

A consequence is that the mutual fund shareholder received the information too late to make an informed decision about avoiding the dividend. The ETF shareholder can sell the ETF shares and buy the mutual fund shares on Monday 6/13 and avoid the dividend.

Also note some terminology differences. Other mutual fund companies will use "ex-dividend date" for their mutual funds. Vanguard does not. And if one has ETF dividends automatically reinvested, what is the Reinvest date for that? Answer: It depends on your broker. Note that one not reinvesting dividends will get their money a week later with the ETF.

I wonder if a thread gets started with the question "Why did VTSAX change more percentage-wise today than VTI? Aren't they the same?" It is possible that on Monday 6/13 one of them goes up and one goes down. And maybe vice versa on Tuesday. :)

Bonus comment: Folks who tax-loss harvested VTSAX and exchanged into VFIAX can avoid the dividends of both these funds by exchanging back from VFIAX into VTSAX early next week. I'm not sure why one would want to do that though with the nice gains that they should have after the TLHing.

House Blend

Postby House Blend » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:49 am

livesoft wrote:A consequence is that the mutual fund shareholder received the information too late to make an informed decision about avoiding the dividend. The ETF shareholder can sell the ETF shares and buy the mutual fund shares on Monday 6/13 and avoid the dividend.

Huh? Vanguard gave one week's notice to mutual fund shareholders.

Granted, one does need to understand what Vanguard codewords mean. As soon as the article was posted on the Vanguard website last Monday, it was obvious that Friday (yesterday) purchase dates for VTSAX would buy the dividend, and this Monday's would not.

I even said as much in this post from Wed.
viewtopic.php?p=2934245#p2934245

I do agree that ETF investors have the advantage of knowing how big the dividend will be before deciding whether it matters. Mutual fund investors have to content themselves with guesstimates.

livesoft

Postby livesoft » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:52 am

House Blend wrote:
livesoft wrote:A consequence is that the mutual fund shareholder received the information too late to make an informed decision about avoiding the dividend. The ETF shareholder can sell the ETF shares and buy the mutual fund shares on Monday 6/13 and avoid the dividend.

Huh? Vanguard gave one week's notice to mutual fund shareholders.

Sure, they could make a decision, but they would not know the amount of the distribution or dividend as you noted. That is, they could not make an informed decision.

I may be one of only two people who sell/buy in order to avoid a dividend. I only do that if the dividend is large and I have no tax consequences.

House Blend

Postby House Blend » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:07 pm

^OK. If you need help making an informed decision about VFIAX, the last trading day before the dividend is 6/17, and it will be about $1 per share.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Postby abuss368 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:15 pm

Thanks.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

fireman44

Postby fireman44 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:15 pm

Would anyone know how often and when dividends are paid out for Vanguard Target Retirement Funds? Specifically the 2060 fund? ( VTTSX )

jebmke

Postby jebmke » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:24 pm

fireman44 wrote:Would anyone know how often and when dividends are paid out for Vanguard Target Retirement Funds? Specifically the 2060 fund? ( VTTSX )

It isn't listed in the prospectus? If not, the history will show on the Vanguard site - that will be a pretty good predictor.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

oldzey

Postby oldzey » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:58 pm

fireman44 wrote:Would anyone know how often and when dividends are paid out for Vanguard Target Retirement Funds? Specifically the 2060 fund? ( VTTSX )

"Distributions for this fund are scheduled annually."

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/ ... 1691#tab=4
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

triceratop

Postby triceratop » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:18 am

livesoft wrote:So some dividend information has been updated at vanguard.com

I would like to contrast how Vanguard presents information differently for the mutual fund and the ETF with VTSAX / VTI as examples:

Mutual fund

ETF

A consequence is that the mutual fund shareholder received the information too late to make an informed decision about avoiding the dividend. The ETF shareholder can sell the ETF shares and buy the mutual fund shares on Monday 6/13 and avoid the dividend.

Also note some terminology differences. Other mutual fund companies will use "ex-dividend date" for their mutual funds. Vanguard does not. And if one has ETF dividends automatically reinvested, what is the Reinvest date for that? Answer: It depends on your broker. Note that one not reinvesting dividends will get their money a week later with the ETF.

I wonder if a thread gets started with the question "Why did VTSAX change more percentage-wise today than VTI? Aren't they the same?" It is possible that on Monday 6/13 one of them goes up and one goes down. And maybe vice versa on Tuesday. :)

Bonus comment: Folks who tax-loss harvested VTSAX and exchanged into VFIAX can avoid the dividends of both these funds by exchanging back from VFIAX into VTSAX early next week. I'm not sure why one would want to do that though with the nice gains that they should have after the TLHing.

I want to switch from VXUS (declaration/ex/payable 19/?/?) to IXUS (ex/record/payable 20/22/26) at some point this year. It's not entirely clear if I can avoid the higher taxes on the VXUS distributions for June. I don't care about receiving extra IXUS dividends (because semiannual vs. quarterly) because the tax cost for IXUS is so much less than VXUS.

Do you think if I make the switch today I'll get IXUS' and not VXUS' distributions?
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

livesoft

Postby livesoft » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:49 am

I did something similar with VV vs VTI.

Today is the declaration date for VXUS. The Vanguard web site won't update until closer to midnight.

Here is the June 2016 dividend pre-announcement page: https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insigh ... nds-062016
where it is stated that the Declaration Date for VXUS is (was) 6/10.

In June 2016, VXUS went ex-dividend on 6/14 about 4 days after the declaration date.

In June 2016, IXUS went ex-dividend on 6/22.

So YES, I think you can sell VXUS anytime before 6/23 (Friday) and not get the VXUS dividend. If you wait over the weekend to not buy IXUS, then there is a chance you can avoid the IXUS dividend. Very late tonight, Vanguard will publish the actual ex-dividend date for VXUS.

WARNING: For random folks reading this, don't confuse 2016 info and 2017 info. Please.

triceratop

Postby triceratop » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:58 am

I don't want to be out of the market for more than a few seconds so I'll not try to avoid both dividends; the expected June tax on IXUS' distributions is about .005% whereas for VXUS around .04%. Obviously, market changes either way will overwhelm any savings there; not a risk that is attractive to me.

I'll sell/buy today and update with what happened.

edit: sold VXUS @ 52.73, bought IXUS @ 58.35, so I may have lost .01% in friction for a 0.11%/yr. tax benefit (more when tax bracket moves up). Nice!
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

livesoft

Postby livesoft » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:03 am

livesoft wrote:In June 2016, VXUS went ex-dividend on 6/14 about 4 days after the declaration date.

Oops, I forgot about the 2 days of weekend in 2016. So I should have written "about 2 business days after the declaration date."

deltaneutral83

Postby deltaneutral83 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:50 am

This may or may not be the best place to ask this question but if I use TDA, and I have the mobile app where I have it customized to show me the Ex-Div date on my positions, does anyone here use TDA and know about when this will show up. It is still showing March Ex-Div's as of today (for VTI/VB/VEU/VNQ at least). Thanks

livesoft

Postby livesoft » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:55 am

I have TDAmeritrade. I don't use the mobile app. I look at the vanguard, Ishares, wisdomtree web sites for dividend info.

But since you have TDAm and use the mobile app, then you can tell us when it tells you when something goes ex-div. Thanks!

Return to “Investing - Theory, News & General”