What was your first investment?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
jnet2000

What was your first investment?

Post by jnet2000 »

I thought it would be fun to hear what investments other Bogeleheads got started with. I found my first statement from Schwab from the mid 90s while I was cleaning my home office.

I bought a Invesco's Blue Chip Growth Fund in a brokerage account. I think I saw an ad for it somewhere because I had no clue about investing at age 18.

What was yours?
"You really don't need leverage in this world much. If you're smart, you're going to make a lot of money without borrowing" Warren Buffet
LAlearning

Re: What was your first investment?

Post by LAlearning »

Vanguard's STAR Fund. Had the lowest minimum at the time.
I know nothing!
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Vanguard Money Market Prime back in the early 1980s.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
UncleBen

Post by UncleBen »

I suppose it would be my piggy bank.
Then there were EE Bonds you could buy at school.
Maybe All Saver's Certificates were next.
Then 30 shares of inherited AT&T stock.
wizzard

Post by wizzard »

Not stocks, but my parents were relentless on me getting a home.
I ended up buying one and I am currently renting it out.
"In uncertain times, show equanimity. Otherwise you are an unfit shareholder" -Charlie Munger
Durzo

Post by Durzo »

Vanguard index funds a couple of years ago.

I have the Bogleheads and other like minded people to thank for that. Thanks all.

-Joey
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

Some Blackrock Mutual Funds courtesy of the Merrill Lynch account my parents set up for my college fund. But I didn't choose those. The first I chose was a 12-month CD to save some graduation gifts for the new car I was going to buy in a couple of years (gifts were at end of high school, car was purchased at the end of undergrad). First year's rate (in June of 2007) was 4.5% (I think I got some sort of promotional rate). I found index funds pretty soon after college, and chose index funds for the "self-directed" portion of my Ohio State Employee Pension (from grad school).
bigred3

Post by bigred3 »

Vanguard Wellington Fund - In IRA when I was ~17 or roughly 13 years ago with money I earned in HS. My dad did all the leg work, opened the fund and helped me deposit my paychecks. Continued to add to it with various jobs/internships throughout HS/College. Probably had about 8K-10K by the time I finished college and started my career at 22. Moved it all to US total stock index shortly thereafter and have continued to make yearly contributions.
tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 »

Thanks for the PTSD. :oops:

My first investment outside of small CD's, etc. was a railroad stock. I think Norfolk Southern, but maybe Union Pacific. I remember reading up on it, how these industries do well in any economic environment, always pay hefty dividends, etc. Bought $2,000. Within a year it was worth less than $400. Lesson learned. Concentration risk bad.

I should have learned from the same mistake Lord Grantham made 80 years earlier! :oops:
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister
gips

Post by gips »

paying for college.
wizzard

Post by wizzard »

gips wrote:paying for college.
Indeed! :annoyed
"In uncertain times, show equanimity. Otherwise you are an unfit shareholder" -Charlie Munger
Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor »

Aside from a passbook savings account as a little kid and various CDs as a teenager: Vanguard's S&P 500 Index fund, in 1986.
Last edited by Artsdoctor on Mon May 23, 2016 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheRightKost87

Post by TheRightKost87 »

Well - technically I was gifted savings bonds as a child, and as mentioned above, paid for my own college education prior to buying any other investments.

But I assume you're looking more for a stock/bond/etf/mutual fund answer here. My first investment of that sort was VTTSX - Vanguard's Target Retirement 2060 Fund. I bought that in a Roth IRA a few years back because it was one of the few funds that had a $1000 minimum. I have since continued to contribute to the Roth IRA, and have begun maxing a traditional 401k.
"The problem with diversification is that it works, whether or not we want it to"
azanon

Post by azanon »

Very first investment was a 5-yr CD, in 1994 for 6.5% interest or something like that. It's the only investment I was even familiar with at the time.

From 94'-96' I read several investment books. My first mutual fund was USAA Aggressive growth in 96' (USAUX). My only memory with that one was just shy of 100% performance for 1999. And oh yeah I got crushed in that after 2000'.

I discovered Vanguard index funds not long after the turn of the century. When i figured out how cheap my TSP funds were as a new Federal employee in 99', I went in search of cheap funds outside of the federal government as well. My search to date led me to conclude Vanguard was my best option outside of the TSP.
gundlached

Post by gundlached »

A few shares of McDonalds right after college.

Still lovin' it.
tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 »

I do remember when I was about 12 years old listening to my grandfather tell my dad that he was getting 13% on the CD he just bought. I remember thinking that it would be impossible NOT to be rich with rates like these! Of course I didn't understand inflation. I was 12.
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister
chickadee

Post by chickadee »

$2000 in 20th Century Ultra in 1991. Back when you bought mutual funds direct from the company that sold them.
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

Fully Loaded Growth & Income fund (can't remember which one) a couple of months before Black Monday.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
Railroader

Post by Railroader »

Peabody coal around 2009. I bought about $1000 worth. It is now worth around $60.

I learned my lesson lol.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

chickadee wrote:$2000 in 20th Century Ultra in 1991...
Same fund and around the same time, although I don't recall the initial amount.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
GreatOdinsRaven

Post by GreatOdinsRaven »

A few shares of Staples, SPLS- I think. Sold them 6 years later and bought PEOPX an S&P500 index fund (at the insistence of a family friend, a Smith-Barney Broker)...
Last edited by GreatOdinsRaven on Mon May 23, 2016 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The greatest enemies of the equity investor are expenses and emotions." -John C. Bogle, Little Book of Common Sense Investing. | | "Winter is coming." Lord Eddard Stark.
Abe

Post by Abe »

It's been a long time, but I believe my first investment was a bank savings account paying 5.25%. I believe I put in $5000, but it could have been less. Wish I could get 5.25% now. :(
Slow and steady wins the race.
Puck

Post by Puck »

$2,000 in the Fidelity Puritan fund in the early 80's. My first IRA contribution.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

My uncle took me to meet his broker in the BofA building in San Francisco, great view, I was 22, it was 1974. I purchased 100 shares of BF Goodrich. Sold ten months later to help finance a sailboat trip down the coast to Mexico.
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

livesoft wrote:Vanguard Money Market Prime back in the early 1980s.
Same.. as I recall the 30 day yield was around 10% at the time.
GreatOdinsRaven

Post by GreatOdinsRaven »

tbradnc wrote:
livesoft wrote:Vanguard Money Market Prime back in the early 1980s.
Same.. as I recall the 30 day yield was around 10% at the time.
Holy cow! (I say, ignoring inflation at that time).
"The greatest enemies of the equity investor are expenses and emotions." -John C. Bogle, Little Book of Common Sense Investing. | | "Winter is coming." Lord Eddard Stark.
2 bits

Post by 2 bits »

My first investment was in my father's employer, Acushnet Company, makers of Titlest golf balls. My dad brought my brother and me to the broker's office with $300 each of our paper route money. That would have been in the early '70s. Buy and hold! That has gone through so many buy outs and mergers. Cleaning up the portfolio, I finally sold most of it within the last two years. Had pretty much all the paperwork for cost basis. (Well that and a little by guess and by gosh, or is that SWAG. :?) Don't know what I'll do about that lost certificate for one share from the DRIP program.

Also of fun note, when I got my first post college professional job, in Valley Forge, PA, the company instituted a 401 K program. I signed up at a 6 % deferral, to get the full 1/3 company match. That was in Vanguard Windsor or Wellington. Darn well better be Vanguard if we were headquartered in Valley Forge.
Shortly after I left the company three years later, Vanguard sent me a check. Apparently I didn't get the part about rolling over. I don't ever want to calculate what that 3 grand would be worth now.

And if I heard you wrong and this thread is actually, worst not first, that would have to be Tyco International, but that is probably another topic.
I sometimes think that I am living the life of which my immigrant ancestors dreamed.
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

My parents gave me 200 shares of their employer's company stock. "Hold on to those shares" they told me, "they'll be worth some serious money one day" they said. I sold those shares to help with the down payment on our first house. Sold the house a few years later for a small gain, but the company behind those shares that I was told to "hold on to" went bankrupt a few years later. My brother held his shares all the way to $0 :oops:
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Eight shares of Corning (GLW).

Please don't hate me.
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

When I was in college, conglomerates were all the rage. I was watching LTV going up and up in price, I think that it hit above $100 at one point in 1969. A little after that they were hit with an antitrust suit, and the price dropped like a rock. I felt that the price was too low, and I bought a hundred shares at $7. The price did recover and I sold at $25. It ended up going to $27 before starting back down and eventually going bankrupt around 1986 or so.

Ralph
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

It was an equity value fund at Neuberger & Berman. I think the second was Kaufman fund. I'm dating myself. Lol
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Tollgrade Communications, TLGD. They made equipment for testing copper phone lines, back when copper phone lines were a thing. It was a cyclical play, my first 2 bagger.

Sadly, I lost most of it on @Home Network later that year.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Ignoring the US E Bonds I collected in my youth, DODGX - Dodge & Cox Stock was the first mutual fund I ever invested in, early 1990s. I knew nothing except that 1) I needed to invest in the stock market and 2) costs are very important. (DODGX has an ER of .52) The $17k that I had been socking away in CDs for my IRA went to DODGX and grew to over $200k -- with no further contributions. (Too bad Roths didn't exist back then!)

Anyway, today, at 4PM east coast time, I sold all my DODGX and added the money to my VG Total Stock fund. A move I've been planning for months, but still a little anxiety-producing.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Prudential Bond Fund
Around 1980 :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
digarei

Post by digarei »

I think it was Domini Socially Responsible fund [large cap] inside my 401(k).

First Vanguard funds purchased in taxable: Mid-Cap Idx, STAR and Intermediate Term Bond Idx.

Early 00s.
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.
92irish

Post by 92irish »

Lindner Dividend Fund in the early 1990s.

It was a "gold star" active management fund with years of out-performance, until I bought it. The performance lagged, money fled, the fund company was sold to another fund company that then jacked up the expense ratio, change name and strategy. I finally bailed and learned a great lesson about investing in active funds and to look at the scruples of your investment company. It was a large well known fund at the time and now I don't believe it exists in any form.
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Passbook savings account
Savings bonds
Cds
Prime money market fund
Star mutual fund

These are listed in chronological order so my first investment was a passbook savings account.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

The EE savings bond my Grandfather gave me when I was born.
DarthYeoj

Post by DarthYeoj »

Started off with Vanguard Total Stock Market and Total Stock and Total Bond in my 401K from Fidelity. My first and current employer after school had three months before 401k benefits started. Luckily I stumbled upon this site and read The Little Book of Common Sense Investing during those three months.
IlikeJackB

Post by IlikeJackB »

16 shares of the local utility company in January, 1981 for $16.xx per share.
Last edited by IlikeJackB on Mon May 23, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do what you will, the capital is at hazard." Justice Samuel Putnam, Harvard College vs Amory, 1830. The "Prudent Man Rule."
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Weyerhauser stock, 1960. Wish I still had it. I remember I got a dividend check every quarter for $9 and change.
Last edited by Nicolas on Mon May 23, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

3rd grade in Catholic School in Western NY circa 1965. Every week a "stamp machine" would appear from Marine Midland Bank (I have no idea why that info is still stored on my hard drive!) Put in a quarter, or maybe a dime, crank the crank and a stamp would come out which you pasted in a passbook. You could redeem the balance at any branch.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

Five year 12% CD sometime in the early to mid '80s.

Sure wish that was available today now that I have more than the 500 bucks I had back then.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

At 22 yr old I had $3k in my pocket. I had just graduated college and had no idea what I wanted to do with the money. Friends recommended that I invest it. Problem is I had no idea how to invest. As a result, I met a financial advisor and gave him all my money. He used it to pay his fees and invest in a whole life insurance policy. Some of the money went to front loaded funds. Learned a lot that year. What sucks is I flipped a lot of burgers at McDonald's in high school and college to earn that $3k. Expensive lesson at the time.
Beck49

Post by Beck49 »

Eastern Airlines when I was 16. They still put the quotes up in chalk at the broker's. My Mom had to sign for the trade. I made money, but have since learned I was just lucky.
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

I had a couple thousand dollars in MSFT in 1999 or 2000 at $50 a share. Kinda wondering how much that would be worth now if I had kept it with DRIP.

Unfortunately I sold it (and the few other stocks I bought) just a year or so later and lost nearly half of it.

Stayed out of the market until I bought a house, paid off it's mortgage, sold the house, bought my second house, paid off it's mortgage, and then realized that I have to save for retirement.

Fortunately I found this site less than a year after re-entering the market. :sharebeer
Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest »

At the age of 14 I tried to buy stock in Shell. I asked my mother how to do it and she told me to call the broker. I called the broker and he told he me that for me to buy $ 100 worth of stock I had to pay $ 30 in transaction costs. That was just wrong and I never bought a single stock ( except for Berkshire and I do not consider that really a stock, more an hybrid index fund).

I bought CD's instead. I was so happy when years later I got 11 % interest on CD's. I got a safe to put my treasures in and I was oblivious to raging inflation. I just could not believe my luck with the interest rate on CD's.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

Another vote for Vanguard's Index 500. Held it for a long time. Will always have a soft spot in my heart for this fund.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
Teague

Post by Teague »

Loaning money to my parents.

One summer, about 10 years old, I made ~$100 selling oranges from our trees. Sometimes my parents would borrow some of that when they ran out of cash to go to the grocery store. I didn't charge them interest, but they did let me live there free for several years after that. :)
Semper Augustus
TheDuker

Post by TheDuker »

It was 1999. A good friend told me technology stocks were printing money and I was a fool not to invest. I opened an ETrade account and bought $2500 of Janus Global Technology (JAGTX). It kept going up and I kept buying more. Many valuable lessons were learned over the next couple of years. :happy