Selling in May and Walking Away?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

DaftInvestor

Re: Sell in May and go away

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon May 16, 2016 2:52 pm

I read recently that this saying originally came from London Bankers who all took Holiday for the month of June.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon May 16, 2016 3:15 pm

VictoriaF wrote: Also, psychologists and behavioral economists have established that people find rhymed statements more believable,

Victoria
That's a very valuable piece of information. The next time I want to really convince somebody of anything, I shall do it in a limerick.

jdb

Post by jdb » Mon May 16, 2016 6:50 pm

protagonist wrote:
VictoriaF wrote: Also, psychologists and behavioral economists have established that people find rhymed statements more believable,

Victoria
That's a very valuable piece of information. The next time I want to really convince somebody of anything, I shall do it in a limerick.
Now you tell me. Many moons ago when I was college guy looking for female companionship never thought of using limerick as part of pick up line. OTOH after many years of marriage have realized that a happy wife is a happy life.

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Mon May 16, 2016 8:57 pm

By the way: April 2016 thread

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Selling in May and Walking Away?

Post by LadyGeek » Mon May 16, 2016 9:46 pm

^^^ I merged the April thread into here.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:04 pm

protagonist wrote:

Victoria
Another trick is to use words and names that resonate with a person you are trying to influence. Researchers found that a disproportionate number of men called Denis become dentists. Janes are statistically more likely to fancy Johns, Nicoles Nicholases, Donnas Donalds, etc.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)