Stock picking services

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
boglerocks

Stock picking services

Post by boglerocks » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:24 am

I know, I know, you can't trust anyone to pick stocks for you but please hear me out. :)

I'm subscribed to a couple paid services on marketfy.com which are 420Investor ($42/month) and SecretCaps ($30/month). The proprietor of each basically sifts through a myriad of stocks to come up with a number of picks they like, carefully explains why, and keeps their subscribers up to date on each of them.

It would be silly to blindly buy each of their recommendations but I've found it extremely effective to use them like a human stock screener and sift through their picks looking for any that resonate with me. This approach has worked very well and requires relatively little time on my end.

I think the Marketfy services work well for two reasons:

1. They're paid services which gives their proprietor an incentive to do a good job.

2. Marketfy encourages its users to rate and review the services they're subscribed to and those ratings and reviews are not controlled by the proprietors which gives them another incentive to do a good job.

I'm also considering microcapclub.com which benefits from #1 ($500/year) but not #2.

Are there other services like this?

LAlearning

Re: Stock picking services

Post by LAlearning » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:27 am

You lost most ppl at hear me out....

What a waste of money
I know nothing!

boglerocks

Post by boglerocks » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:34 am

I make a lot of money from those picks.

noyopacific

Post by noyopacific » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:43 am

Good luck then.

I think that a stock picking service that had a true, demonstrable insight into identifying underpriced stocks would be far too valuable to offer that service for the mere price of a subscription.

If it doesn't work out for you, I'm sure you will be welcome back here.
The information contained herein, while not guaranteed by us, has been obtained from from sources which have not in the past proved particularly reliable.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:44 am

boglerocks wrote:... I think the Marketfy services work well for two reasons:

1. They're paid services which gives their proprietor an incentive to do a good job.

2. Marketfy encourages its users to rate and review the services they're subscribed to and those ratings and reviews are not controlled by the proprietors which gives them another incentive to do a good job.

I'm also considering microcapclub.com which benefits from #1 ($500/year) but not #2....

So you're paying $864 per year to have these guys pick stocks for you? Why use Marketfy when you can have Jim Cramer pick your stocks for free, and you'll have an extra $864 to invest in a good broad based index fund? And if you don't use microcapclub.com that's another $500 you can add to your index fund.

But if you want to pay someone to pick them for you (wait a minute isn't that what FAs do?) I'll do it for less than Marketfy, and you can rate me too if you want.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:51 am

boglerocks wrote:I make a lot of money from those picks.

That's fine, but would you have made the same or more money in index funds? And what about the so-called risk-adjusted return?

My spouse was in two investment clubs that taught her quite a lot about stock picking, buying, selling, etc. Her clubs thought they were doing great, but I computed their performance and they did do great. Nevertheless, it was still worse that just investing in index funds in the same asset classes (small, medium, large cap) of the stocks that the clubs had picked.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

LAlearning

Post by LAlearning » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:59 am

boglerocks wrote:I make a lot of money from those picks.

That's great. Then what do you care of the opinion from anonymous index fund investors?
I know nothing!

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:19 pm

Do you track your returns against a standard, such as the SP500 (or Russel 3000, or...)? If you aren't outperforming the index after trading cost and opportunity cost by at least $864 then you are losing money.

I thought I was doing great in a stock-picking strategy but when I put it in a spreadsheet the XIRR was a couple of percent less than the S&P 500. I am hanging onto a few favorite companies, but I am moving funds into my Lazy portfolio as I sell out stock positions.

[edit]. BTW - it was Nisiprius who challenged me to compare my performance with the SP500 about a year ago. Thanks Nisi!
Last edited by David Jay on Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

peppers

Post by peppers » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:48 pm

Go ahead. Trade. Back in Ye Olde Days I was a young buck eager to trade individual stocks and mutual funds. I had some success but more often than not I ended up having my head handed to me. Repeatedly. I got religion and moved to the Church of Vanguard around 1991-1992. Thank the heavens that a brokerage link was not available in the 401k at that time because that would have been a disaster.

So, good luck in your endeavor, you will need it.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

Lobster

Post by Lobster » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:08 pm

There is a chapter in Bogle's Little Book of Common Sense Investing. He cites research that evaluated dozens (hundreds?) of newsletters over a spread of ~20 years. The results were catastrophic; newsletters are generally destroyed by the index, not to mention substantially more risky.

For ~$10 Bogle's Little Book is a fantastic survey comparing an index strategy to stock picking and active management. The results are overwhelmingly in favor of indexing (because in investing, you get exactly what you don't pay for). I can effectively guarantee being in the ~80% of investor performance by choosing an index approach. As I read more, I am further convinced that just trying to break into the top 20% has a large negative expectation. In addition, the historic market return is sufficient to retire comfortably without taking on additional risk (BP being a relevant example).

Imagine you participate in a gameshow. You can take a guaranteed payout of $8,000 or roll a 10 sided die. If you roll the die, you receive $1000 for a 1 and $10,000 for a 10. This describes the current choice of an index approach vs an active approach (newsletter or costly financial advisor).

The best part is, even if everyone in the world adopts the index strategy, you will retire with exactly the same portfolio. The only losers in this case would be the investment bankers no longer collecting hundreds of billions of dollars from the average investor in service and sales fees. Sounds like a winners game to me :D
Submit to the relentless rules of humble arithmetic and avoid the tyranny of compounding costs.

boglerocks

Post by boglerocks » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:56 am

cheese_breath wrote:Why use Marketfy when you can have Jim Cramer pick your stocks for free, and you'll have an extra $864 to invest in a good broad based index fund?

I should have mentioned that I'm generally only interested in microcaps. I've run a small business for the last 16 years so that's what I'm familiar with. I honestly don't really understand big business.

cheese_breath wrote:But if you want to pay someone to pick them for you (wait a minute isn't that what FAs do?) I'll do it for less than Marketfy, and you can rate me too if you want.

If I can verify your past performance via ratings, reviews, or something else that I can deem trustworthy and I like what I see, I'll pay you today. In fact, that was what my original post was about. Only one question mark in that post. :)

livesoft wrote:That's fine, but would you have made the same or more money in index funds?

Well I'm up over 25% since I opened my Interactive Brokers account a couple months ago. I haven't checked any microcap index funds to compare but I don't think they're in the same ballpark. The results so far look promising. I look for things that work and try to scale them.

LAlearning wrote:Then what do you care of the opinion from anonymous index fund investors?

Obviously because you guys are awesome.

noyopacific wrote:I think that a stock picking service that had a true, demonstrable insight into identifying underpriced stocks would be far too valuable to offer that service for the mere price of a subscription.

Well, if someone is good at performing due diligence, why wouldn't they share their insight for the cost of a subscription after they have taken their own position? It's another stream of income for very little work beyond what they would be doing for their own investment anyway.

Lobster wrote:There is a chapter in Bogle's Little Book of Common Sense Investing. He cites research that evaluated dozens (hundreds?) of newsletters over a spread of ~20 years. The results were catastrophic; newsletters are generally destroyed by the index, not to mention substantially more risky.

That's where the 2 points in my original post come in. Most (all?) of those newsletters are free and it is likely difficult or impossible to verify their performance without running a 20-year study such as the one cited above.

Do you guys believe in stock screeners? If so, do you buy every stock that pops out of the screener? This is just a human stock screener and I don't buy every stock that pops out of it either.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:05 am

OP,

How well did you do? Did you get 10X to 30X return? If not, why are you doing it?

I gamble on microcap stocks. I allocated total 5K of my money on those stocks. I do not gamble on any stocks that have the possibility of 10X to 30X return.

A) If I lost, it is only 10K and it does not matter.

B) If I win, with 10X to 30X return, the win is big enough to matter.

So, why are you doing it if it is not 10X to 30X return?

KlangFool

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:08 am

boglerocks wrote:
livesoft wrote:That's fine, but would you have made the same or more money in index funds?

Well I'm up over 25% since I opened my Interactive Brokers account a couple months ago. I haven't checked any microcap index funds to compare but I don't think they're in the same ballpark. The results so far look promising. I look for things that work and try to scale them.

Everything is up quite a lot since a couple months ago. It's been like shooting fish in a barrel.

Would you invest a couple million dollars this way? Could you even buy the necessary shares of microcaps to do so? Are the costs of your services and newsletters 5% of your gains or 0.01% of your gains? How about taxes? I hope you aren't paying any taxes on all those gains.

But if it all works for you, then by all means keep doing it and laugh all the way to the bank. :sharebeer

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:14 am

livesoft wrote:
boglerocks wrote:

Everything is up quite a lot since a couple months ago. It's been like shooting fish in a barrel.

Would you invest a couple million dollars this way? Could you even buy the necessary shares of microcaps to do so? Are the costs of your services and newsletters 5% of your gains or 0.01% of your gains? How about taxes? I hope you aren't paying any taxes on all those gains.

But if it all works for you, then by all means keep doing it and laugh all the way to the bank. :sharebeer

livesoft,

Unfortunately for me, that was the slippery slope that leads me to commit so much of my savings to Telecom stock until I lost 50% of my savings. It was 10+ years.

KlangFool

boglerocks

Post by boglerocks » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:17 am

KlangFool wrote:How well did you do? Did you get 10X to 30X return? If not, why are you doing it?

I gamble on microcap stocks. I allocated total 5K of my money on those stocks. I do not gamble on any stocks that have the possibility of 10X to 30X return.

This is microcaps so of course, yes, I'm looking for 10x gains.

livesoft wrote:Everything is up quite a lot since a couple months ago. It's been like shooting fish in a barrel.

The iShares Micro-Cap ETF (IWC) is up just over 10% in the last 3 months so I'm beating that sector of the market.

livesoft wrote:Would you invest a couple million dollars this way?

Not yet. I scale slowly.

livesoft wrote:Could you even buy the necessary shares of microcaps to do so?

Not without patience. :)

livesoft wrote:Are the costs of your services and newsletters 5% of your gains or 0.01% of your gains? How about taxes? I hope you aren't paying any taxes on all those gains.

I'm up $10k+ so the subscriptions aren't taking a significant portion. You mean you hope this isn't in a taxable account? It is, but what's wrong with that?

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:59 am

boglerocks wrote:
KlangFool wrote:How well did you do? Did you get 10X to 30X return? If not, why are you doing it?

This is microcaps so of course, yes, I'm looking for 10x gains.

boglerocks,

Since it is up 25% over a few months, it is not doing well at all. So, why are you doing it?

KlangFool

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:08 am

boglerocks wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:But if you want to pay someone to pick them for you (wait a minute isn't that what FAs do?) I'll do it for less than Marketfy, and you can rate me too if you want.

If I can verify your past performance via ratings, reviews, or something else that I can deem trustworthy and I like what I see, I'll pay you today. In fact, that was what my original post was about. Only one question mark in that post. :)

Well, I've never picked a bad microcap yet. :D

goingup

Post by goingup » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:10 am

Fine. But you really should change your user name. :)

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:21 am

goingup wrote:Fine. But you really should change your user name. :)

How about Limburger?

4th and Inches

Post by 4th and Inches » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:34 am

This is a great thread. lol

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:53 am

I'm up over 25% since I opened my Interactive Brokers account a couple months ago.

Boglerocks:

That's wonderful! 25% in two months equals 150% a year! It makes Warren Buffet look like a loser. :wink:

Before getting carried away, read this quote from The Bogleheads Guide to Investing:
Mark Hulbert did a study of newsletter portfolios. His statistics are startling. For example, Mr. Hulbert constructed a hypothetical portfolio made up of each year's top performing newsletter-recommended portfolios from 1981 through 2003. Over the 12 months following their top showing, these former winners produced an average annualized LOSS of -32.2%. Compare this dismal second-year performance to the Wilshire 5000 total stock market index, which during the same second-year period, had an annualized GAIN of +13.1 percent."

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:57 am

boglerocks wrote:
livesoft wrote:Everything is up quite a lot since a couple months ago. It's been like shooting fish in a barrel.

The iShares Micro-Cap ETF (IWC) is up just over 10% in the last 3 months so I'm beating that sector of the market.

[…]

livesoft wrote:Are the costs of your services and newsletters 5% of your gains or 0.01% of your gains? How about taxes? I hope you aren't paying any taxes on all those gains.

I'm up $10k+ so the subscriptions aren't taking a significant portion. You mean you hope this isn't in a taxable account? It is, but what's wrong with that?

Taxes in the taxable account is what's wrong with that.

IWC up only "just over 10%"? You could have bought VEA (large-cap developed) and done even better. I would argue that VEA is less risky than IWC. Even small-cap value in the form of IJS and VBR are up more than 10%, too*. I don't think there is any problem scaling with VEA, IJS, and VBR.

I think you have to be honest with yourself and try to make some better comparisons.

*Just checking some of my portfolio transactions.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:12 pm

OP,

You make 10K+. You are up 25%. So, you are gambling around 40K to 50K. How would you feel to lose the whole 40K to 50K? Is it worth the RISK of losing 40K to 50K for a 25% gain?

If you are aiming for 10X to 30K return, why do you need to gamble 40K to 50K? 10K should be more than enough.

KlangFool

goingup

Post by goingup » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:54 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
goingup wrote:Fine. But you really should change your user name. :)

How about Limburger?

As you wish, Limburger_breath. But the OP named boglerocks really should change to something like stockpickingsubcriptionsrocks! :D

boglerocks

Post by boglerocks » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:51 pm

Dang guys. Up 25% in a couple months and everybody agrees I'm doing a terrible job. My way isn't the only way, is yours?

happyisland

Post by happyisland » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:00 pm

boglerocks wrote:Dang guys. Up 25% in a couple months and everybody agrees I'm doing a terrible job. My way isn't the only way, is yours?

You can also go to a casino and double your money. That doesn't mean going to a casino is a prudent financial decision. Congrats on the 25% though! :sharebeer

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:04 pm

boglerocks wrote:Dang guys. Up 25% in a couple months and everybody agrees I'm doing a terrible job. My way isn't the only way, is yours?

Don't confuse short term results with long term ones. Odds of you making 25% every couple months for the next 10 years is zero. :) As you amp up the risk (holding 10 stocks instead of 1000), you odds of deviating from a index go up a lot.

The problem with all paid services is that if they were remotely better than average, the guys would make orders of magnitude more money running a fund. Either there is a big inefficiency (i.e. the paid service guys can't start a fund) or you are looking at survivor bias (i.e. if a 1000 pickers make picks every year, you will end up with 100 with great results to advertise).

Now that doesn't mean that picking can't work for you. Get 1 pick right (i.e something that goes up 10-20x in 2 or 3 years) and it can change your financial trajectory. But the odds of getting that pick right are tiny.

stratton

Post by stratton » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:06 pm

There are thousands of stock picking services that will do it for a percentage of assets under management.

They're called ACTIVE MUTUAL FUNDs. :twisted:

$864 is 8.64% ER on $10K, 1.728% on $50K, 0.864% on $100K.

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.

boglerocks

Post by boglerocks » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:30 pm

As I've said several times, nobody is picking my stocks. I use these services like a human stock screener. It means I don't have to start from zero when looking for good picks and that saves a lot of time. What's wrong with that?

Lobster

Post by Lobster » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:41 pm

Boglerocks,
My advice for friends who pick stocks are to start small with something they are comfortable losing. Another approach is to experiment with stock picks for a year using a mock portfolio service (google finance and other websites support this).

Bogle's Little Book was eye opening for me because he systematically demonstrates how truly difficult it is for active managers and stock pickers to beat the market. Playing a game with negative expectation is generally not a great idea because on average you will lose money. When you can guarantee the market return (which turns out to be sufficient for most people to meet retirement goals), going against the odds in hopes of winning big will more likely than not result in losing a substantial amount of money.

This is likely why you're receiving such a strong reaction from this community. There are many threads/wiki pages/books on this forum that spend a great deal of time and energy explaining the 'why' behind the index approach. Personally I've had a ton of fun digging through the resources here and reading recommended books. I'm increasingly convinced that my odds of beating the market are slim to none. However I can be in the 80th percentile of investor performance simply by using the Three Fund Portfolio or similar. This is because unfortunately many people adopt strategies that result in losing their hard earned savings to fees and poorly timed trades.
Submit to the relentless rules of humble arithmetic and avoid the tyranny of compounding costs.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:54 pm

We're all jealous that our returns are not quite what you are getting. All we can ask is that you keep up the good work and keep reporting how it's going.

This could turn into a classic Bogleheads thread that we all refer to in the future. We are rooting for you! Good luck!

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:30 pm

boglerocks wrote:... Well, if someone is good at performing due diligence, why wouldn't they share their insight for the cost of a subscription after they have taken their own position? ....

By "after they have taken their own position" do you mean they also buy the stocks they recommend? And they buy them before you? If so, is it the teeniest bit possible they might dump their positions after all you subscribers buy in and run up the price?

Or if they don't buy the stocks they recommend, why not? If they can make 25% in a couple months like you wouldn't that be the smart thing to do?

AnilG

Post by AnilG » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:38 am

If the newsletter picks work for you as the baseline stock universe to select stock from, then there is nothing wrong with it. Every stock buyer has to start from a limited number of stocks as you can't evaluate all stocks. Some use newsletter picks, some use their favorite fund (hedge/mutual) managers holdings, some use specific index constituents, some use specific industry segment, and some use latest academic research publications.

You seem to like Micro-cap stocks. As long as you feel you have an edge with such stocks, go for it. There is no harm betting on them with a small portion of your portfolio. Due to limited liquidity and low price, micro-cap stocks tend to be favorite target of scammers and pump and dump schemes. Just watch for such shenanigans.

While I subscribe to Bogleheads philosophy, I allocate a very small portion of my portfolio as play money to try out any new-fangled strategy I read about. Sometime it works and sometime it doesn't. That is why I call it "play money".

boglerocks wrote:
I'm subscribed to a couple paid services on marketfy.com which are 420Investor ($42/month) and SecretCaps ($30/month).

It would be silly to blindly buy each of their recommendations but I've found it extremely effective to use them like a human stock screener and sift through their picks looking for any that resonate with me. This approach has worked very well and requires relatively little time on my end.

I'm also considering microcapclub.com which benefits from #1 ($500/year) but not #2.

Are there other services like this?

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:13 am

25% is nothing to sneeze at, good work I guess.

I used to subscribe to a lot of online newsletters. I made some very impressive gains but lacked a good overall investment plan and gave ALL of that money back. I also moved in and out of stocks a lot. Some of MY picks went on to become huge winners

I've adapted to what works for me. I do my own research. I sleep well at night.
4nursebee

garlandwhizzer

Post by garlandwhizzer » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:09 pm

Looking at the apparent success of stock picking services (25% gain was spoken of), the question of luck versus skill is a tricky one especially when a short time frame is our data reference. In a sense as has been pointed out all active management funds are run by stock pickers, buying only the good stocks and avoiding the bad ones. We know how they as a group do against low cost index funds. On average, properly measured, they underperform by their increased expense ratio as Nobel Prize Winner Sharpe has pointed out. Increased fees more than swallow up any collective insight of active investors and in fact the market portfolio is the sum of collective insight. Some stock pickers do better than indexes, most do worse. It is easy to determine by backtesting who has outperformed in the past. Picking the ones that will outperform in the future however is exceedingly difficult because on average outperformance does not persist.

Is there any difference between a stock picking service and an active mutual fund? Perhaps. If enough people follow the recommendations of the stock picking service particularly in the thinly traded market segments like small caps and to a lesser extent mid caps, that popularity alone in the short term can drive up the stock price, which to the investor following the recommendations looks like a successful stock pick at least in the short term. As Ben Graham, Warren Buffett's mentor observed: in the short run, the market is driven by popularity, in the long run it is a weighing machine. Hence, short term apparent success does not automatically translate into long term outperformance. I don't know with any certainty whether these stock picking services are going to work out long term, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet that over a span of 10 years, net of costs, it will underperform an appropriately chosen low cost index fund. The secret sauce for stock picking is extremely rare and, once discovered, may not persist. These days, in contrast to the market 30 years ago, alpha is an endangered species in my opinion.

Garland Whizzer

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:22 pm

As a reminder, opposing points of view are welcome. Please keep the discussions civil and state your points in a factual manner.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:41 pm

boglerocks wrote:Well I'm up over 25% since I opened my Interactive Brokers account a couple months ago. I haven't checked any microcap index funds to compare but I don't think they're in the same ballpark. The results so far look promising. I look for things that work and try to scale them.

boglerocks,

Please remember what you are getting into.

1) You are GAMBLING. You are taking a HUGE RISK while hoping for 10X to 30X return.

2) You could LOSE EVERYTHING. It could go to ZERO at any time.

So, do not scale up.

A) If it is working, you should get 10X to 30X return. You are GAMBLING 40K to 50K. This is more than enough.

B) If it is not working, aka you are not getting 10X to 30X return, why are you putting more of your money at RISK?

<< I look for things that work and try to scale them.>>

So, do not scale up.

KlangFool

Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:46 pm

Goodluck. I rolled the dice before I got into the 3 fund. I lucked out.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:56 pm

I didn't read the other replies, but I think you might have better luck asking this question on a forum that encourages individual stock picking. This is as far from being a Boglehead as you can get. In the Little Book of Common Sense Investing, Jack would call this your funny money account, but not with a penny more than 5%.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:41 pm

Good luck. I hope it works out for you. Seriously. Come back and tell us how it works. Especially if you have something to gloat about. Your picks are staying about even with the small cap market, so you're doing okay so far.

I guess the thing I'm concerned about is that you keep coming back here with a bunch of easy get rich quick schemes. Micro-caps, private equity, no money down real estate, etc. People who are think they can get rich quick tend to lose a lot of money trying.

Anyway, Bogleheads, by its very nature is a get rich slowly kind of place. Maybe you should be asking these questions on forums that are targeted to those kinds of investments. You might get more useful answers than you're getting.