Fidelity Spartan 500 Index Fund Dividend

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
missionalan

Fidelity Spartan 500 Index Fund Dividend

Post by missionalan »

Hoping someone can shed some light on Fidelity Spartan 500 Index mutal fund. Its almost mid April and there has been no mention of a dividend or capital gain distribution. Historically, these distributions would've already taken place. What gives??
HueyLD

Re: Fidelity Spartan 500 Index Fund Dividend

Post by HueyLD »

It is only April 14. Give it a few more days, or you can call Fidelity.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Call Fidelity. For whatever reason the dividend that would post 4/1/16 is not listed in the distributions table they publish. That seems very odd and it is indeed unusual as a fund like that would be like clockwork for timing of payouts.
snowman

Post by snowman »

I don't know the answer, but I had the same concern and contacted Fidelity CS yesterday. After multiple times on hold (through chat), I was told something like "it may be little later this year so just be patient".

About a month ago I asked CS "what does Fidelity do with quarterly dividends in second and third quarters since it only pays them out in December and April"? After multiple tries and holds, the answer was "not really sure, great question". I repeated the same question 2 weeks later, same results. This time I told CSR to find out and email me, which she did, which was just as elusive as before , i.e. "It really should be in the prospectus, that's what our fund experts told me". I replied with "where, specifically", and never heard back.

After they pay the dividend, I am considering switching to VTI. I have nothing but great things to say about Fidelity CS, but it's troubling they cannot answer the most basic questions about one of their own mainstream funds. If other BHs know why Fidelity does not pay 4 quarterly dividends and how that affects fund performance, I'd love to hear that.
Doc

Post by Doc »

FUSVX posted an ordinary dividend the first week of April since 2005 except for 2006 and 2010.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=FUSVX&a ... f=2016&g=v
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.
Topic Author
missionalan

Post by missionalan »

snowman wrote:I don't know the answer, but I had the same concern and contacted Fidelity CS yesterday. After multiple times on hold (through chat), I was told something like "it may be little later this year so just be patient".

About a month ago I asked CS "what does Fidelity do with quarterly dividends in second and third quarters since it only pays them out in December and April"? After multiple tries and holds, the answer was "not really sure, great question". I repeated the same question 2 weeks later, same results. This time I told CSR to find out and email me, which she did, which was just as elusive as before , i.e. "It really should be in the prospectus, that's what our fund experts told me". I replied with "where, specifically", and never heard back.

After they pay the dividend, I am considering switching to VTI. I have nothing but great things to say about Fidelity CS, but it's troubling they cannot answer the most basic questions about one of their own mainstream funds. If other BHs know why Fidelity does not pay 4 quarterly dividends and how that affects fund performance, I'd love to hear that.

Yeah. I did the same thing. And got the same response. Also considering switching if Fidelity can't get this thing figured out.
Topic Author
missionalan

Post by missionalan »

Doc wrote:FUSVX posted an ordinary dividend the first week of April since 2005 except for 2006 and 2010.

My confusion is if VTI posted a dividend in March why would Fidelity's similar fund not post a dividend? And if Fidelity is not going to give dividends then I might have to switch to VTI.
Topic Author
missionalan

Post by missionalan »

I guess my other thought is if VTI or Fidelity decided not to give a distribution or capital gain, do they notify investors or explain why it didn't happen?
Topic Author
missionalan

Post by missionalan »

missionalan wrote:
Doc wrote:FUSVX posted an ordinary dividend the first week of April since 2005 except for 2006 and 2010.

Also looks like VFINX has never missed a distribution
goingup

Post by goingup »

Not a Fidelity customer, but I figured they must publish a list (as Vanguard does) of funds that are scheduled for upcoming distributions.https://www.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/i ... tributions

Spartan 500 isn't on this list. :|
Doc

Post by Doc »

From the prospectus:
Dividends and Capital Gain Distributions

The fund earns dividends, interest, and other income from its investments, and distributes this income (less expenses) to shareholders as dividends. The fund also realizes capital gains from its investments, and distributes these gains (less any losses) to shareholders as capital gain distributions.

The fund normally pays dividends in April, July, October, and December and pays capital gain distributions in April and December.
If the fund had capital losses during first quarter might the negative other income plus expenses exceed the amount of dividends and interest thus there is nothing to distribute. :idea:
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.
snowman

Post by snowman »

I have to apologize to OP and other posters. In a rush to post my experience with Fidelity, I made a mistake. The fund I was describing is Spartan® Total Market Index Fund - Fidelity Advantage Class, FSTVX:

https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutua ... /315911800

My comments still stand true - dividends paid only in April and December. I should not have posted under this thread though.

My sincere apologies.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

Of course I just bought this fund literally yesterday.

Getting a bit tired myself of the little issues with these index funds. Just noticed as well it has paid out capital gains several times over the past 2 years which I failed to check.
Last edited by jfave33 on Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

snowman wrote:I have to apologize to OP and other posters. In a rush to post my experience with Fidelity, I made a mistake. The fund I was describing is Spartan® Total Market Index Fund - Fidelity Advantage Class, FSTVX:

My comments still stand true - dividends paid only in April and December. I should not have posted under this thread though.

My sincere apologies.
It just pays larger semi annual dividends. Still about 2% like vtsax vanguard total stock.
Topic Author
missionalan

Post by missionalan »

snowman wrote:I have to apologize to OP and other posters. In a rush to post my experience with Fidelity, I made a mistake. The fund I was describing is Spartan® Total Market Index Fund - Fidelity Advantage Class, FSTVX:

My sincere apologies.

No worries. Dividends look to be paid 4x per year while capital gains 2x per year.
Topic Author
missionalan

Post by missionalan »

goingup wrote:Not a Fidelity customer, but I figured they must publish a list (as Vanguard does) of funds that are scheduled for upcoming distributions.https://www.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/i ... tributions

Exactly, which worries me:/
Topic Author
missionalan

Post by missionalan »

Doc wrote:From the prospectus:
Dividends and Capital Gain Distributions

The fund earns dividends, interest, and other income from its investments, and distributes this income (less expenses) to shareholders as dividends. The fund also realizes capital gains from its investments, and distributes these gains (less any losses) to shareholders as capital gain distributions.

The fund normally pays dividends in April, July, October, and December and pays capital gain distributions in April and December.
If the fund had capital losses during first quarter might the negative other income plus expenses exceed the amount of dividends and interest thus there is nothing to distribute. :idea:
What I don't understand is how can Fidelity have a loss (if that's the case) and VTI not (they distributed dividends). Basically the same fund.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Have the same question regarding dividend, cannot understand why this month it is skipped. On side note, from all my experience with Fidelity CS - very polite, very nice - absolutely useless. Than more I compare Fidelity and Vanguard, than more I like Vanguard.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

missionalan wrote:
goingup wrote:Not a Fidelity customer, but I figured they must publish a list (as Vanguard does) of funds that are scheduled for upcoming distributions.https://www.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/i ... tributions

Why? Are you expecting to use this as income or rebalancing? Dividends just reduce the NAV. The value is the same either way.
katzmandu

Post by katzmandu »

Spirit Rider wrote:
missionalan wrote:

Why? Are you expecting to use this as income or rebalancing? Dividends just reduce the NAV. The value is the same either way.
If the aim is to reinvest dividends, yes the share price goes down, but now I have extra shares to compound once the NAV goes up again. Maybe that?
IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

missionalan wrote:
What I don't understand is how can Fidelity have a loss (if that's the case) and VTI not (they distributed dividends). Basically the same fund.
Can think of a couple plausible things:

It could be that fund flows into/out of the two funds are different enough that Fidelity was (possibly) forced to realize a capital loss that VG did not? I'm not even sure if it would be legal for a fund to use a capital loss to offset dividends.

Also, doesn't Vanguard have a proprietary method of relating their mutual funds and ETFs that allows them to often avoid capital gains distributions that other passive funds sometimes encounter due to redemptions?
Don't do something. Just stand there!
Topic Author
missionalan

Post by missionalan »

Spirit Rider wrote:
missionalan wrote:

Not sure what you mean. Yes, the value of the mutual fund is the same but I'll more of them if I get a dividend and reinvest it. Right?
Doc

Post by Doc »

missionalan wrote:What I don't understand is how can Fidelity have a loss (if that's the case) and VTI not (they distributed dividends). Basically the same fund.
Isn't one is a fund and the other an ETF? ETF's have more control of capital gains/losses because of their structure. They don't have to buy/sell shares to match cash flows.

You can't distribute capital losses but I don't know if a mutual fund has to net losses against dividends when determining the amount of distribution.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

No dividend yet from FXSIX (the institutional share class) either.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Topic Author
missionalan

Post by missionalan »

IlliniDave wrote:
missionalan wrote:

It could be that fund flows into/out of the two funds are different enough that Fidelity was (possibly) forced to realize a capital loss that VG did not? I'm not even sure if it would be legal for a fund to use a capital loss to offset dividends.

Also, doesn't Vanguard have a proprietary method of relating their mutual funds and ETFs that allows them to often avoid capital gains distributions that other passive funds sometimes encounter due to redemptions?
How are capital gains taxed if the mutual fund is inside a Roth or IRA?
Mark98

Post by Mark98 »

They will likely have the distrubution on April 15 and it will post in your account on the 18th.
Topic Author
missionalan

Post by missionalan »

Doc wrote:
missionalan wrote:What I don't understand is how can Fidelity have a loss (if that's the case) and VTI not (they distributed dividends). Basically the same fund.
Isn't one is a fund and the other an ETF? ETF's have more control of capital gains/losses because of their structure. They don't have to buy/sell shares to match cash flows.

You can't distribute capital losses but I don't know if a mutual fund has to net losses against dividends when determining the amount of distribution.

Sorry VFINX. Not VTI.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

They are probably just late with them anyway - just be patient :wink:
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

I'm not sure what you are referring to, the second paragraph starts with this sentence:
Below are the most recently reported distributions for Fidelity funds.

So those are recent, not upcoming, distributions.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Interestingly, Spartan Total Market (FSTMX) and Extended Market (FSEVX) are also overdue for an April dividend.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Topic Author
missionalan

Post by missionalan »

smartinwate wrote:Interestingly, Spartan Total Market (FSTMX) and Extended Market (FSEVX) are also overdue for an April dividend.

Very interesting.
goingup

Post by goingup »

Whakamole wrote:

I'm not sure what you are referring to, the second paragraph starts with this sentence:
Below are the most recently reported distributions for Fidelity funds.

So those are recent, not upcoming, distributions.
You're right! Vanguard posts a list of upcoming distribution estimates for each fund that will receive one. I figured I was looking at the same type of list for Fidelity. My mistake.

Is there no list at Fidelity for upcoming fund distributions? That would certainly answer the question!
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Here's what I just got from Fidelity customer service chat:
I apologize. The fund is not required give a reason why they chose not to pay a dividend. We do not have any information as to if it is going to pay or information on why it did not pay if it is not going to pay a dividend. I apologize. I wish I had more information for you!
So there you have it, from the horse's mouth: "We don't have to pay a dividend and don't have to tell you why we didn't."
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

They still have some time. Their posted dividend schedule is no finer than the month.
Fido wrote:Distribution Schedule: April, July, October, December
https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutua ... /315911206

JW
Retired at Last
snowman

Post by snowman »

jjface wrote:

My sincere apologies.
It just pays larger semi annual dividends. Still about 2% like vtsax vanguard total stock.
With Vanguard, the first 3 quarterly dividends are about 22-24% of annual distribution, with December one being 28-30% (probably capital gains lumped in). Fidelity gives you only 13-15% in April, nothing in June and October, and then 85-87% in December.

I always wondered about such uneven distribution pattern when companies the fund holds pay regular quarterly dividends. Why is that? What happens with dividends the fund receives in April (partially), June, and October? Simple question to me, yet Fidelity doesn't know the answer... And then you have a year like this one where CSR cannot even tell you if/when April dividend will be paid? It's just bizarre if you ask me.
Topic Author
missionalan

Post by missionalan »

snowman wrote:
jjface wrote:

My sincere apologies.
With Vanguard, the first 3 quarterly dividends are about 22-24% of annual distribution, with December one being 28-30% (probably capital gains lumped in). Fidelity gives you only 13-15% in April, nothing in June and October, and then 85-87% in December.

I always wondered about such uneven distribution pattern when companies the fund holds pay regular quarterly dividends. Why is that? What happens with dividends the fund receives in April (partially), June, and October? Simple question to me, yet Fidelity doesn't know the answer... And then you have a year like this one where CSR cannot even tell you if/when April dividend will be paid? It's just bizarre if you ask me.
Based on Fidelitys site, the dividends are paid quarterly while the capital gains are paid only bi-annually.
goingup

Post by goingup »

JW-Retired wrote:They still have some time. Their posted dividend schedule is no finer than the month.

JW
I'm probably just slow, but what does your remark mean?
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

missionalan wrote:Not sure what you mean. Yes, the value of the mutual fund is the same but I'll more of them if I get a dividend and reinvest it. Right?
It is just matter of timing. You get the same total annual dividends whether they are paid quarterly or less frequently.

Now there might be some difference, because of the difference in reinvestment price. I don't know.
Imbros

Post by Imbros »

smartinwate wrote:Here's what I just got from Fidelity customer service chat:
I apologize. The fund is not required give a reason why they chose not to pay a dividend. We do not have any information as to if it is going to pay or information on why it did not pay if it is not going to pay a dividend. I apologize. I wish I had more information for you!
So there you have it, from the horse's mouth: "We don't have to pay a dividend and don't have to tell you why we didn't."
Thank you. I have both Vanguard and Fidelity accounts and this information will definitely help me in my future fund selections.
There is no greatness where there is no simplicity, goodness and truth. -L. Tolstoy
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

missionalan wrote: Based on Fidelitys site, the dividends are paid quarterly while the capital gains are paid only bi-annually.
I believe it depends on the individual fund. FUSVX (allegedly) pays dividends in April and December; bond funds such as FSITX pay dividends monthly; their Small Cap Stock Fund (FSLCX) pays dividends in June and December; others (such as FSGDX ACWI exUS) only pay dividends in December. There doesn't seem to be a hard-and-fast rule other than the December payment.
snowman

Post by snowman »

missionalan wrote:
snowman wrote:
jjface wrote:

My sincere apologies.

Based on Fidelitys site, the dividends are paid quarterly while the capital gains are paid only bi-annually.
Total Market Index Fund pays dividends only in April and December.
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

goingup wrote:
JW-Retired wrote:They still have some time. Their posted dividend schedule is no finer than the month.

JW
I'm probably just slow, but what does your remark mean?
It means April isn't over so it's too early to get worried. April 30 would be unusual but would meet their schedule.
JW
Retired at Last
Topic Author
missionalan

Post by missionalan »

smartinwate wrote:
missionalan wrote: Based on Fidelitys site, the dividends are paid quarterly while the capital gains are paid only bi-annually.
I believe it depends on the individual fund. FUSVX (allegedly) pays dividends in April and December; bond funds such as FSITX pay dividends monthly; their Small Cap Stock Fund (FSLCX) pays dividends in June and December; others (such as FSGDX ACWI exUS) only pay dividends in December. There doesn't seem to be a hard-and-fast rule other than the December payment.
Not real sure how to enter a screen shot in here or I would enter a screen shot of the FUSVX Distribution and Fees page. But FUSVX has distros on 4x per year and capital gains 2x per year. Here is the link:

https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutua ... =sq-NavBar
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

missionalan wrote:
smartinwate wrote:
Not real sure how to enter a screen shot in here or I would enter a screen shot of the FUSVX Distribution and Fees page. But FUSVX has distros on 4x per year and capital gains 2x per year. Here is the link:

https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutua ... =sq-NavBar
Correct, and it's mid-April. I would assume that the CSR has about as much visibility as to when the exact date of the dividend will be as we do, and since Fidelity hasn't announced a date yet, the CSR doesn't know either.

I would be more concerned about buying the dividend if they yield wasn't 2% - assuming a roughly equal distribution for each quarter, that's paying a tax (qualified?) on 0.5% of the purchase price.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

missionalan wrote: Not real sure how to enter a screen shot in here or I would enter a screen shot of the FUSVX Distribution and Fees page. But FUSVX has distros on 4x per year and capital gains 2x per year.
Yep, my mistake. You're absolutely right. FUSVX distributes dividends in April, July, October and December. Don't know where I got that they only distributed twice.
IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

missionalan wrote:
IlliniDave wrote:
missionalan wrote:

How are capital gains taxed if the mutual fund is inside a Roth or IRA?
Inside a Roth they are not taxed. In a TIRA they are taxed as ordinary income when withdrawn.
Don't do something. Just stand there!
flah

Post by flah »

Here is the day of the week for the last 15 years that the fund I care about, FFNOX, has had its April distribution. Do you see a pattern?

Fri Apr 10 2015
Fri Apr 11 2014
Fri Apr 12 2013
Fri Apr 13 2012
Fri Apr 15 2011
Fri Apr 17 2009
Fri Apr 11 2008
Fri Apr 13 2007
Fri Apr 7 2006
Fri Apr 8 2005
Fri Apr 2 2004
Fri Apr 4 2003
Fri Apr 5 2002
Fri Apr 6 2001

Edit: Data is from yahoo.com historical prices "Dividends Only", which appears to include capital gain distributions as dividends

Here is FUSVX's April distribution history. A dividend was distributed on Friday 4/1/15 and a capital gain was distributed on Wednesday 4/1/2015.

Fri Apr 10 2015
Wed Apr 1 2015
Fri Apr 4 2014
Fri Apr 5 2013
Wed Apr 4 2012
Wed Apr 6 2011
Fri Apr 3 2009
Fri Apr 4 2008
Wed Apr 4 2007
Fri Apr 7 2006
Fri Apr 8 2005
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

If taxes can be ignored, like they can be in an IRA for example, it doesn't really matter weather a dividend is paid or not. You can sell some shares to get the money you need. Accumulated dividends are reflected in the NAV.
elgob.bogle

Post by elgob.bogle »

Mark98 - Welcome to the forum. FWIW Fidelity's FXSIX (Total US Market Fund) last distributed a dividend on 13 Jan 2016. Today is only the 15th.

elgob
dbr

Post by dbr »

I think people find it odd that a business would be run without a fixed calendar for carrying out such operations as paying out the dividend. The report that Fidelity itself does not readily supply information as to how this is decided adds to the puzzlement.