Got a Question for Jack Bogle? Post it Here.

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Got a Question for Jack Bogle? Post it Here.

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Hello Everyone:

Once again I'll have the distinct pleasure of moderating a Question and Answer session with our friend and mentor, Jack Bogle. The Q&A will take place during our annual get-together with Jack at the 2016 Bogleheads Conference in Philadelphia at the end of September.

Many of you won't be able to attend to ask your question in person, but you can still post your question(s) for Jack right here on this thread.

Even if you are registered and plan to attend the Conference, you should still post your question(s) for Jack here.

Shortly before the Conference, I'll consolidate all the accumulated questions by subject matter, and then ask Jack to respond to as many of your questions as time allows.

Fire away!

Best regards to all,

Mel
kenner

Re: Got a Question for Jack Bogle? Post it Here.

Post by kenner »

Even though I am far from certain that Mr. Jack Bogle will answer this question, here it is:

How does it feel to have beneficially transformed the investment world in order to give individual investors a fair share of the world's economic progress - and to have enhanced the lives of countless millions of your fellow citizens?

May God bless Mr. Bogle.
VinhoVerde

Post by VinhoVerde »

To Mr.Bogle:
What is the ideal blend of Treasuries and Investment grade corporate bonds in a long term portfolio?
May God Bless Mr. Bogle,
VinhoVerde
jwillis77373

Post by jwillis77373 »

Should an investor attempt to factor in the effects of Quantitative easing into their investment plan, or is it more likely to be a short term event unworthy of consideration?
boglerdude

Post by boglerdude »

1) Is there a valuation level where it would make sense to invest internationally?

2) Does he worry about redemption risk in the bond fund he holds (VBILX)?
sabhen

Post by sabhen »

what is Jack's view of the so called "smart beta" with many flavors such as fundamental or factor investing, such a low volatility for example with the belief by its proponents that plain vanilla market cap indexing is sub-optimal. Bigger stocks which dominates an index get more overvalued in a bull market: bubble of year 2000.
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

VinhoVerde wrote:To Mr.Bogle:
What is the ideal blend of Treasuries and Investment grade corporate bonds in a long term portfolio?
May God Bless Mr. Bogle,
VinhoVerde
+10 (You read my mind, Vinho) :D
Illegitimi non carborundum.
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

What will be John's advice to Millennials on savings and investing.
Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...
longinvest

Post by longinvest »

Dear Mr. Bogle,

I have two questions for you about "good enough".

1) My first question is about a good enough portfolio:

Is there anything wrong with investing in the Three-Fund Portfolio recommended by Taylor Larimore, composed of Total US Stocks, Total International Stocks, and Total Bonds, without ever adding other mutual funds to it, all life long, regardless of age and market conditions?

2) My second question is about a good enough asset allocation:

Is there anything wrong with sticking to a 50% stocks / 50% bonds Asset Allocation, without ever changing it, all life long, regardless of age and market conditions?

Thanks!
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (bogleheads.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287967)
reriodan

Post by reriodan »

Hi Mr Bogle,

My question is, can someone be a boglehead if they don't hold international equity?
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

Bump.
Rexindex

Post by Rexindex »

How much should one factor into retirement planning their anticipated social security income?

Specifically, for those of us around 50 should we figure about 71% of benefits as the social security commissioner states assuming no changes are made in the next few years?
“Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity.” | — Simone Weil
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

Repeat bump (I am a bit surprised by the meager response to this thread).
Solo Prosperity

Post by Solo Prosperity »

We know "staying the course" is what will give us the best chance at reaching financial goals, but given our emotional make-up as humans, are there any practices/advice you could give on how to help fight off those potentially dangerous emotional decisions we are prone to make when the noise gets turned up?
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

FreeAtLast wrote:Repeat bump (I am a bit surprised by the meager response to this thread).
I'm not. Mr. Bogle's views are clear and ubiquitous, and I think this board is well aware of them. But if I had the privilege of meeting Mr. Bogle in person I might offer him a handshake and ask him how he and his family are. -- Tet
Angst

Post by Angst »

Dear Mr. B:

Many years ago while I was still in high school, my father started me off in my investing "career" with an investment in the Gemini Capital Fund; I believe it was a closed-end fund and somehow tied to Vanguard. He also first got me started in Vanguard with the original Index 500, or whatever it was originally called. Two questions:

1) Did Vanguard come into existence after Gemini Capital began and how was Gemini related to it?
2) How did the Gemini Funds structure work? Were there not two funds, capital and income?

Thank you!

Angie
lack_ey

Post by lack_ey »

In terms of corporate governance and operations, what are the roles and responsibilities of fund investors, index funds, and corporations in a world in which an increasing percentage of public company ownership is through broad index funds that hold the market, which includes most any given company's direct competitors? What is the current state of affairs, where are things going, and where should we be headed?
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

It's a long shot, but please ask Jack if he can recall the name of a retired Aerospace Corp engineer that was selling a very Bogleheadish low cost mutual fund investing course way back in the mid-1970's? It was an audio cassette tape course I saw advertised in aerospace magazines and was titled something close to "How to Invest in No-load Mutual Funds". Believe I paid like a $39.95 price for it and it got me well started toward being a Boglehead in 1975! He showed how you could do all the investing with the no-load fund companies yourself, and never pay an advisor or a sales load. I followed that advice ever since.

It is a long way back, but I've been frustrated for years that I tossed out all the course material long ago and can't remember that guy's name.
JW
Retired at Last
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

If one were concerned over protecting one's taxable portfolio (which up to now consisted only of equities), how would one best include a fixed-income component given tax considerations?
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

No question; just a thank you for pioneering index funds.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FreeAtLast wrote:Repeat bump (I am a bit surprised by the meager response to this thread).
This thread is a "sticky" at the top of the Investing - Theory, News & General. There's no need to bump the thread further, we'll have plenty of questions for Jack.

-----------

Do you think the fiduciary standard will have the intended impact as you first envisioned it to be?

Update: Revised question to reflect that the fiduciary standard has gone into effect.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

boglerdude wrote:1) Is there a valuation level where it would make sense to invest internationally?

2) Does he worry about redemption risk in the bond fund he holds (VBILX)?
+1 to these questions. These are my top info/anxiety as well.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
SteelCityMD

Post by SteelCityMD »

sabhen wrote:what is Jack's view of the so called "smart beta" with many flavors such as fundamental or factor investing, such a low volatility for example with the belief by its proponents that plain vanilla market cap indexing is sub-optimal. Bigger stocks which dominates an index get more overvalued in a bull market: bubble of year 2000.
He actually answered this during an interview with Barry Rithiltz on his podcast, Masters in Business. Worth a listen.

His response: "smart beta is stupid!" (I think that was the exact quote, or close) he elaborated a bit after that. :happy
gips

Post by gips »

In the past, when interest rates were say 5%, there's was a symmetrical opportunity for principal loss/gain due to interest rate movement. Now, given our historically low interest rates, there's limited opportunity for principal appreciation due to interest rate movement. Given the lack of symmetry around risk and reward, shouldn't we fundamentally change the way we look at new investment in the total bond index? if not, why not?

thanks!
LateStarter1975

Post by LateStarter1975 »

Hi Jack,
You have often been quoted as saying that an average investor should not open his 401K statements until his retirement. With this in mind, do you think the average individual investor should worry about calculating his annual returns, assuming he is saving aggressively and all invested in simple market index funds? Thank you for all you have done and continue to do
Debt is dangerous...simple is beautiful
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

tetractys wrote:
I'm not. Mr. Bogle's views are clear and ubiquitous, and I think this board is well aware of them. But if I had the privilege of meeting Mr. Bogle in person I might offer him a handshake and ask him how he and his family are. -- Tet
Indeed, congratulations on a life well lived. What is his schedule and how does he have the energy, passion and drive to continue to work at his age,
BachFan

Post by BachFan »

In your book Battle for the Soul of Capitalism you described a real need to control the bank conglomerates and called for bringing back a form of Glass-Steagall. It seems little has changed; perhaps the cross-ownership has even grown. Is there any hope alive in the legislative process, or is the majority of our elected officials still bought off on this issue?
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

What can you tell us about the process of picking ticker symbols? Who chooses them, how are they negotiated, is there a market among mutual fund companies in ticker symbols? Why did Vanguard pick "BND" for the Total Bond ETF, leaving "BOND" available for PIMCO Total Return? Did Vanguard marketing think BND was better?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Hello Mr. Bogle ("Jack").

I know in the past you said we should look at social security as part of our fixed income. I'm 52 years old and hold a 65/35 portfolio, Vanguard Institutional Index Fund and Blackrock U.S. Debt Index Fund (my company does not have the Vanguard Total Bond Index fund).

When I retire, I plan to put my entire 401K in the Vanguard Balanced Index Fund. If I included social security as part of my fixed income and retire at 65, couldn't I just hold that one fund for the rest of my life? I personally do not feel international is necessary so the static 60/40 of the balanced index is what I'm looking for.

Thank you Jack for all you do for the little guy. You are a true inspiration to us all.

Steve G
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
packer16

Post by packer16 »

Mr. Bogle,

Has Vanguard or have you ever given thought to opening a low cost alternative fund that invests directly in real estate, infrastructure or power assets? Given the expected return for these assets is the high single/low double digit range low costs should make an impact on net shareholder returns. I am sure there are asset managers in this space that would appreciate a mutual ownership model and want to work for such an organization.

Packer
Buy cheap and something good might happen
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

What is the story behind your nickname, "Jack"?

Would it be useful for the government to impose regulations on fiduciary duty of financial investors or to impose a maximum expense ratio on all mutual funds held in retirement accounts (e.g. no loads and 1%)?
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA »

In light of low interest rates, has Mr. Bogle modified at all his advice to hold one's age in bonds? If so, how?
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Keep your questions for Jack coming.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
selftalk

Post by selftalk »

Hello Mr. Bogle. I`ve learned so very much from your teachings and your experiences via interviews and writings. I invest only in the Total Stock Market Index Fund and automatically reinvest all dividends and capital gains if any at the time of dispersion into that fund. My bond investment is totally my government pension and my social security benefits. I didn`t think I needed a bond portfolio. What is your opinion ?
Chris001122

Post by Chris001122 »

As one of the best financial geniuses of the 20th and 21st centuries, do you believe the United States can ever begin to stop our dependency on debt? If you believe we should, what are some ideas you might have to help the USA balance our budget and begin reducing our debt? If any single person could help solve this, I believe you might have some good ideas on this.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

FreeAtLast wrote:
VinhoVerde wrote:To Mr.Bogle:
May God Bless Mr. Bogle,
VinhoVerde
+10 (You read my mind, Vinho) :D
1) Me too. What is the ideal blend of Treasuries and Investment grade corporate bonds in a long term portfolio?
2) Any necessity for or significant benefit from an international bond holding in a long term portfolio?
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Got a question for Mr. Bogle? Post it here and I'll try to get it answered for you.
mengo

Post by mengo »

You're on record supporting a financial transactions tax.

Are there any modifications to standard FTT proposals that you think are particularly innovative for addressing high-frequency trading, front-running, etc?

Should tax-advantaged accounts be exempted from the tax, and if so, is a tax credit for qualified contributions the best mechanism? I assume the tax credit idea would involve extra paperwork for tax returns.
IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Index funds have enjoyed remarkable growth/inflows in recent years. Is there a point at which they become too large to be effective. I don't mean taking over the market until it's 100% indexed, rather I've heard other "criticisms" tossed about. Things like excess "concentration risk", various hypothetical situations where mega index funds would amplify market instability during big selloffs, and the like. Similarly, does an index mutual fund ever ascend into the "too big to fail" category if it grows beyond a certain size?
Don't do something. Just stand there!
jwillis77373

Post by jwillis77373 »

I have to ask.. since so many keep asking

..."Is there a point at which the growth in Indexing, will become ineffective?"

... "When was the point at which Active Investing, became ineffective?"
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

Is there any real danger of a major global financial collapse? If so, what steps can be taken to prepare? Would bonds provide any protection?

What is the long term impact of the nation's debt for the small investor? If it isn't paid off or paid down, will that cause any significant financial issues for the average investor?

Thanks for compiling these questions, Mel. Sorry I won't be able to attend the conference this year. And of course thanks to Jack for providing support and guidance to his progeny.
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

Question for Jack Bogle

Mr. Bogle why is Vanguard annoying its customers with its frequent trading policy?

Background: I was consolidating a few accounts and doing some housekeeping in February and bought a few VTSAX funds in my VG brokerage account that triggered the frequent trading issue:

1. when I now try to purchase more VTSAX it gives me a message box that I cannot buy anymore VTSAX for 30 days. What business model turns away revenue?
2. apparently I can send a check but not buy online . . . that is a bit demeaning and poor customer service
3. I was trying to move some funds from another brokerage to my VG taxable account but have decided not to due that for now.
4. I'm not a day trader, but have an active taxable account so if I cannot buy a VG fund a couple times a month and on rare occasion sell that fund to free up some cash or tax loss harvest, it is useless to me. Again, if I was buying and selling VTSAX a few times a week I could see how VG would want clamp down but the Frequent Trading Policy is too restrictive and is likely turning away customer revenue because of it.

Anyway, if you get a change to bring up this issue, much appreciated. I do like Vanguard, I like many of their basic funds, want to be a loyal customer, perhaps Mr. Bogle could pass along this issue to VG senior management.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
in_reality

Post by in_reality »

Dear Jack,

I've heard Vanguard has incentives for employees to work hard and achieve lower costs. While that is desirable, I had a terrible experience at Vanguard to which I fault their IT system. Other than lowering costs, is there any incentive at Vanguard for ensuring a reliable working system?

On example might be spec Id. Sometimes there is a need, perhaps for tax purposes when selling out of previous holdings to move into passive low cost funds, to sell out gradually, This can be problematic at Vanguard though.

Cost cutting and infrastructure costs seem at ends with each other. Do you feel Vanguard had adequate concern for it's systems?
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

I'll throw out my usual question:

If you were born Jack Yasuhara in Japan instead of Jack Bogle in America would you still be advising 100% home country bias? Or did you just have some prescient feeling America would do this well the last 50 years?

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
bmelikia

Post by bmelikia »

Mr. Bogle,

Are you confident that a total stock market fund will continue to provide adequate portfolio growth over the next 30-40 years?

What concerns, if any, do you have regarding the possibility of a total stock market fund failing to do so?

Thank you
"I would rather die with money, than live without it...." - Bogleheads member Ron | | A time to EVALUATE your jitters https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
bmelikia

Post by bmelikia »

Mel Lindauer wrote:Got a question for Mr. Bogle? Post it here and I'll try to get it answered for you.
Mel,

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend. Do you think there will be video of the Q & A session posted to YouTube or another source for those of us who can't make it?
"I would rather die with money, than live without it...." - Bogleheads member Ron | | A time to EVALUATE your jitters https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

bmelikia wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:Got a question for Mr. Bogle? Post it here and I'll try to get it answered for you.
Mel,

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend. Do you think there will be video of the Q & A session posted to YouTube or another source for those of us who can't make it?
If there is a video, we'll make an announcement here on the forum and provide a link to it. We've done videos in the past, so it may well happen again this year, but I just don't know for sure at this point in time.
momvesting

Post by momvesting »

How do you recommend that a very young person (or a person of limited means) with a small amount available to invest monthly get started? Most brokerages have somewhat high barriers of entry (relative to the person's income) such as Vanguard's $1k Target Retirement Funds or $3k for many other funds. Schwab has some funds with a $100 minimum but then the minimums continue at $100 per trade. This makes it difficult for someone like a high school student with $25-50/month to invest to learn the ropes, and even harder to hold more than one fund.

(I am the parent of a high school kid and would love to get her started young)
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Cliff Asness may have said that "AQR is the hedge fund you hate the least." Is that accurate?

(A forum member says he heard Asness say it in a podcast with Barry Ritholtz).
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Got any more questions for Jack Bogle? If so, post them here.