Got a Question for Jack Bogle? Post it Here.

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
ray.james

Re: Got a Question for Jack Bogle? Post it Here.

Post by ray.james »

Deflation is trending to be a top topic on forum. It will be nice to get his thoughts on deflation in USA.
Thanks.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
jwillis77373

Post by jwillis77373 »

Active managers are suppose to look very closely and very deeply at a very few stocks.

The first broad market index, the SP500 looked very shallowly and very superficially at a lot of stocks.

Is there something to human nature in that when we stare at something for too long we start seeing things that aren't really there?

Does self deception always follow introspection?

Sometimes I look at the Market and think its like that Movie: "Inception", a trap within a trap.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

If you could give a retiree today one piece of advice, what would it be?
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
selters

Post by selters »

Do you think anything was better during the 1940s, 50s, 60s and, if anything, what can today's young people learn from your generation?
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

Jack,

If you could get a "do-over", what would you do differently in your life?

If you could travel back in time, what advice would you give a young Jack Bogle?

Thanks again, Mel.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

fortyofforty wrote:Jack,

If you could travel back in time, what advice would you give a young Jack Bogle?

Thanks again, Mel.
Good question and I'm sure we'll all enjoy hearing Jack's response.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

Mel Lindauer wrote:
fortyofforty wrote:Jack,

Thanks again, Mel.
Good question and I'm sure we'll all enjoy hearing Jack's response.
Wish I could be there to hear it in person. Thanks, Mel.
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

I have several

1. In one interview I saw Mr. Bogle, you indicated that when the equity market was extremely overvalued, a rare event, you would consider moving from say a 65% equity allocation to something like 40%. What measure or measures of value would be appropriate? How would an investors age come into play?

2. How do you feel about Dr. Bernstein's idea of after you have won the game stop playing. He suggests for people who have enough-- a liability matching portfolio of "safe" products equaling 20-25 years of residual expenses (annual withdrawals needed to fund expenses). The rest can be invested as you wish. Essentially a "safe" portfolio vs a "risk" portfolio. Not buckets :happy

3. Do you think it is wise for people near or just recently retired to reassess their allocation given the loss of wages and human capital, the end of investment contributions and the prospect of significant withdrawals. What might a typical new retiree with a 60/40 allocation end up with if he/she needs 35 to 40k per year and has retirement assets of say $1.2 million? Just a bit more than the minimum assets to withdraw 4%? At what level of assets should they reduce their allocation from 60/40, if ever?

4. Would you use a TD or Life Strategy Fund or a core fund say Balanced Index with a few supporting funds to fine tune the allocation? How much value would you place on the simplicity of these all in one funds vs having a handful of individual funds? Do you feel comfortable with the fact that the allocation or fund composition of the "all in one" funds has and may continue to change?

Sorry for the long list but you don't get to ask an icon questions very often!!
goingup

Post by goingup »

Has your opinion of ETFs changed or evolved over the years since their introduction? I believe you felt they would be used for trading and speculation. Do you know if that has been the case, moreso than mutual funds?

Thanks!
kingsnake

Post by kingsnake »

80% of my savings is in a taxable Vanguard account. I want a simple 3 fund like portfolio. I it reasonable to use Vanguard Int Term Tax Exempt for my bond allocation? thanks
bb

Post by bb »

Where are answers to questions posted?
jocdoc

Post by jocdoc »

Two questions do you think the risks of investing in muni bond fund is adequately compensated or should we avoid them as many respected authors have advised. .

Given the low rates of treasuries, would you put them in taxable and put stocks in tax deferred for more growth and less drag from taxes. (At retirement you switch the bonds to tax deferred and stocks in taxable with small to little expected tax consequences)
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

For investors managing a family's finances, having to keep in mind a somewhat disinterested spouse and his or her own mortality, are funds like Balanced Index, or one of the LifeStrategy funds an acceptable surrogate for the Three Fund portfolio?
Wind_Reaver

Post by Wind_Reaver »

Two-part question:

For what reason(s) should an investor seek currency risk in a portfolio beyond a Vanguard 500, or Total Market, and a diversified bond investment?
And, when an investor seeks additional currency risk, which assets, if any, are suited to capture that risk (equity, fixed-income, cash, other)?

Thank you.
Wind_Reaver

Post by Wind_Reaver »

What are your thoughts regarding money market reform and the resulting modifications to Vanguard's retail money market fund lineup?

Thanks.
Last edited by Wind_Reaver on Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AtlasShrugged?

Post by AtlasShrugged? »

Mr. Bogle.....Here is a question I would love to hear your thoughts about. You have said on more than one occasion, to stay the course. I believe you said, "If I have said it once, I have said it a thousand times - stay the course'. To me, this is 'the one thing' (Remember Curly the Cowboy from City Slickers - the 'one thing') to remember and follow - stay the course!

What is the 'second thing' you would tell us, after 'stay the course'?
“If you don't know, the thing to do is not to get scared, but to learn.”
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

There's still plenty of time to post your questions for Jack Bogle right here.
printer

Post by printer »

If you were going to construct one or more global total stock market funds that does not use market-cap weighting, perhaps at Vanguard, what weighting system would you choose?
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Posted on wrong thread. I'm reposting it here.
abuss368 wrote:Hi Mel,

I would be interested in Mr. Bogle's updated and current thoughts regarding: 1) Vanguard TIPS fund, and 2) Vanguard International Bond Index Fund.

Thanks!
Riprap

Post by Riprap »

Should I worry that Vanguard's culture will drift over time from your original vision, especially once your shadow no longer falls on the company? I'm concerned that Vanguard has grown too large and has been too successful and that it will be ripe for some sort of shenanigans. Are there safeguards in place that will protect the "little guy" over multiple generations?
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Mel Lindauer wrote:Posted on wrong thread. I'm reposting it here.
abuss368 wrote:Hi Mel,

I would be interested in Mr. Bogle's updated and current thoughts regarding: 1) Vanguard TIPS fund, and 2) Vanguard International Bond Index Fund.

Thanks!
Thank you Mel!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Still time to post your question here for Jack Bogle.
boglephreak

Post by boglephreak »

what do you think about the trend to tilt towards small cap value (domestic and int'l)?

what do you think about the merriman's ultimate buy and hold strategy?
ctreada

Post by ctreada »

What is the biggest threat today to the Boglehead philosophy? Anything that could derail the standard asset allocations by age & simplicity that you espouse?
selftalk

Post by selftalk »

If interest rates are below the basement level with bond prices in the stratosphere and U.S. stocks very richly priced and in the clouds do we keep dollar cost investing ?
RidgeFan

Post by RidgeFan »

The brokerage fees for equities are about 1 percent for a 100 percent turnover of a fund. This can often dwarf the expense ratio. With bond securities, are the fees comparable? With their high turnover this might make them terrible investments if the brokerage fees are comparable.
Kraebber

Re: Where to invest $1 million safely short term?

Post by Kraebber »

I will have a $1 million windfall in early fall. I will be searching for a new home in which to invest at least half of this. I have no idea how long it will be before we find something satisfactory and I don't want to leave the capital unemployed. Would appreciate your thoughts on "short-term" solutions. Thanks
boglephreak

Post by boglephreak »

more of a question for Mel and the other organizers, has this event been livestreamed in the past "(e.g., twitch.tv)? will it be livestreamed this time?
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

boglephreak wrote:more of a question for Mel and the other organizers, has this event been livestreamed in the past "(e.g., twitch.tv)? will it be livestreamed this time?
No and no. We do have a volunteer videographer.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

What is Jack's opinion about the validity of the 4% SWR in today's low interest rate and post 2008 non recovery economic environment?
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Dear Mr. Bogle -
In your recent July 9, 2016, essay where you addressed the Vanguard crew members on "Saving a Company, Building a Colossus, Preserving a Culture: Reflections on the History of Vanguard," you marked your 65 years in the mutual fund industry. In that essay, you wrote that what has been especially important to you in your career was:
. . . being responsible for two great investment innovations - one in structure, one in strategy - that, with a powerful synergy, are changing the world of finance to the benefit of investors and their families, helping them to achieve their financial goals.
"SAVING A COMPANY, BUILDING A COLOSSUS, PRESERVING A CULTURE" by Jack Bogle

First, thank you for sharing your essay with all of us!

Could you explain these "two great investment innovations - one in structure, one in strategy" - that you felt were so important to your career?

And what is "the powerful synergy" - your words! - that is helping to change the world of finance to the benefit of investors and their families, helping them to achieve their financial goals?
John Bogle, "The Twelve Pillars of [Financial] Wisdom"- Pillar 6: The Eternal Triangle. Risk, return & cost are the 3 sides of the eternal triangle of investing and are too powerful to ignore.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Bump for visibility and more questions.
KnowNth

Post by KnowNth »

I hope I am not too late.

Bogle famously keeps his portfolio entirely in U.S. markets. In fact, he pointed out the inconsistency of even calling the rest of the world "international." He just believes in placing bets based on what he knows, and "we have the best investor protections and legal institutions," he said.

However, every single Vanguard target date fund has 40% equity invested overseas. What does Bogle think of that?

There might be other inconsistencies between Bogle's investment philosophy and Vanguard's, but this is the biggest to me.
FlyingMoose

Post by FlyingMoose »

If I am living abroad, I would like to know if his advice still stands to hold only or mostly US equities.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Time's running out. Since our Conference is next month, I'll be collecting the questions for Jack soon, so if you have a question you'd like me to ask Jack on your behalf, you need to act soon. Once I collect the questions, I'll lock this thread and won't take any more.

Fire away!
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

OK, you can't say that you haven't been warned. I'm going to be collecting the questions and closing down this thread soon, so if you have a question for Jack Bogle, post it here. Once I collect the questions, I'm going to lock the thread and won't be taking any more questions.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Are the questions available to read from prior conferences?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Final call. I've collected the questions for Jack to here. You've only got a few days left to post your questions for Jack before I lock this thread. Once locked, I obviously won't be taking any more questions.

Ask now before the lock.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

You had fair warning. No more questions. This thread is locked.